Start by marking “Heavy Time (Company Wars, #4)” as Want to Read:
Heavy Time (Company Wars, #4)

Heavy Time (The Company Wars #4)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
W Pasie asteroidów rzesze górników wydobywają minerały, z których buduje się dla rządu wielkie okręty wojenne. Mają one bronić Ziemi przed Unią kolonii, które zerwały wszelkie kontakty z macierzystą planetą. Wydobyciem rudy zarządza wszechpotężna Kompania, przeciwko jej wyzyskowi rodzi się bunt niezależnych górników.
Published by Time Warner International (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Heavy Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heavy Time

Kris
May 21, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story by C.J. Cherryh set in her Union/Alliance universe. She wrote it on the end of her run in this universe but it is actually the first book to read if you want to follow the story by the history timeline she has set up. This is not necessary in the least but it does seem the right way to go if you reread her books. The story itself is vintage Cherryh, by which I mean it is space scifi with good science and plenty of intrigue and action but she always tells her stories from the view ...more
Captain Skyhawk
Feb 27, 2011 Captain Skyhawk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God, I can't get enough of CJ Cherryh's world that takes place about 300 years in the future. This book follows the life of a group of miners who live their lives in the "Belt" here in our own solar system. The theme of "heavy time" -- necessary time they must spend in 1g gravity aboard space stations in between mining runs (there's no artificial gravity in this world) -- is ongoing throughout the novel.

It's a story set in the time before the Company/Union wars, when life was tough for those ru
David Kerschner
Sep 25, 2012 David Kerschner rated it liked it
So, to begin with, this book is very very slow to start. We literally spend (view spoiler) However, this is a rather good read.

The feeling of claustrophobia in the beginning where (view spoiler) is palpable. As the book continued, I got the impression of the interminable slowness of space travel. Given
William
The world of asteroid belt miners and others is presented with extraordinary clarity and detail. The physics and technology are superb, minus the 1980s view of computers compared to today, much less 100s of years in the future.

However, the story often badly bogs down in seemingly endless thoughts and worries in the characters minds. A good editor should have cut out perhaps 40% of the book. Although there is a good mystery and tragedy here, much of this impetus and energy is dissipated before t
Wesley
Nov 24, 2012 Wesley rated it it was amazing
Heavy Time is Cherryh's fourth book in her Company Wars series of the massive Alliance-Union book continuity. Like most of the Company Wars books, Heavy Time needn't be read in publication order though a few characters from Downbelow Station make cameos.

Heavy Time is a military-industrial thriller set against the backdrop of Earth's outer solar system. As the Earth Company and the United Defense Command gear up for war against breakaway extra-solar colonies, corporate contractors are scrambling
Nathan
Oct 18, 2013 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Casey
Jun 15, 2013 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera, 1990s
Heavy Time begins with Morrie Bird and Ben Pollard, miners in the Asteroid Belt, who happen upon a wrecked vessel in space. Venturing inside, they find Dekker, who has been unconscious for days. He is barely alive and is completely disoriented, yelling for his partner Cory, who is no where to be found. The answer as to what truly happened is yet to be known. Dekker grapples between the slippery grasp on his memory, the mental trauma that has overtaken him, and the supposed reports from the ASTEX ...more
Mars
Dec 07, 2013 Mars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 40% book were actually really good - but then it slogged down to the point where reading it was a chore. (The exact moment this happens is when you first hear rab-speak)

It picks up again near the end, but by that time the aftertaste is so foul that it doesn't really help.
Steve
Aug 03, 2011 Steve added it
The first Cherryh sci-fi I read and possibly her best in my opinion.
Benjamin
Jul 18, 2017 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera, crime, f-sf
When industrial accidents turn out to be murder... I love that kind of crime story. Throw in an uprising and I am very happy. What I really like about Cherryh's Union-Alliance stories though is of course the spaceships and space stations and all that. Characters that have never been on a planet, don't really understand what people who talk about mountains and forests are on about... Cherryh also gets a lot of technical stuff about the weirdness of living in space without bogging the story down: ...more
Dan Hyer
Jul 05, 2017 Dan Hyer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I really enjoyed Downbelow Station. This book set in the same universe not so much. It's told entirely from the first person narrative which I sometimes found hard to follow. Being in the first person and told without much backstory or information about the universe I found myself stumbling over some of the details. Okay, what did that acronym stand for, what's the relationship between these organizations, etc.

This is the prequel to Hellburner which is written in the same style, but which I enjo
B. Lee
Feb 12, 2017 B. Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heaven, I just love reading C. J. Cherryh. Its like being there.
Greg Bidwell
Feb 11, 2017 Greg Bidwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cherryh creates characters with believable flaws and limitations. I enjoyed reading the book.
Red7paulbrennan
Jan 31, 2017 Red7paulbrennan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
dnf
Tim
Sep 03, 2010 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron
Jul 15, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Successful in many ways, Heavy Time was a taut adventure story where I wanted to see how things were going to turn out. The story featured an ensemble of distinct and fully developed major characters. It described life in a mining ship and a space station plausibly and with a sharp attention to detail that presented the environments vividly. The universe was presented without clumsy exposition or explanation.

Heavy Time tells a familiar story of independent spacers struggling against corporate d
Anette
Feb 05, 2017 Anette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grim but interesting world setting in the asteroid belt, rather unlikeable characters, and the plot starts with a very slow build up and finishes in a short and frantic burst of action. Odd mix of advanced and horribly dated technology. People still write letters to each other, even if paper is no longer available. Not in a rush to tackle Hellburner, the next instalment, which I have already bought.
Thomas
Jul 17, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This early number in the Alliance (Merchanter) series has all the elements that make Cherryh's work so memorable. She has a believable future world with technology that is freshly conceived, not cut a pasted from previous space opera. While her characters cannot be said to be well-rounded--like those of Ursula Le Guin, for example, they all have their own credible agendas, and her switching selective third-person point of view treats them all fairly. She is also one of the few science fiction wr ...more
Ross
Better than the Cherryh series I started, but I'm thinking Cherryh is just not for me. This book was engaging to a point, but it felt like it kept setting up more and more backstory for a larger tale, rather than being a riveting novel in its own right. Action/plot started dragging about 1/3 of the way through and I wasn't drawn in by the intrigue and conspiracy as intended. Only felt moderately interested in the characters (pretty much all an unlikable bunch) and not-at-all invested in their we ...more
Karen
May 13, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Why I read it is as much a mystery as why I remember it. I do like the title.

Generally, I'm not big on sci-fi, so this just wasn't my bag. I appreciated that the book dealt with the gritty side of space exploration--mining and industry and accidents and stuff--not just flying around, taking breaks on the holodeck and ordering Earl Grey tea from a replicator.

(But I don't mean to knock Star Trek. It would be nice to order Earl Grey tea from a replicator.)
Alicia
Apr 12, 2008 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am rereading this one. I'm going through all of CJ Cherryh's books again. Love her!
Somehow I remembered liking it more than I did this go around. I love the character Dekker but the author is always so vague (which I usually have loved about her). This time my imagination wasn't filling in the blanks. Is that sad?
Angie
Jul 13, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it ends up a smooth read, this starts out pretty clunky, switching from character to character without much guidance as to whose point of view we're coming from at the time. That detracted a lot from the book for me; however, I did enjoy the characters quite a bit, although the excessive squabbling to get the author's point across was a bit tedious.
Scribal
Feb 16, 2012 Scribal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, good-syfy
This was my first introduction to Cherryh. Maybe because of that it remains one of my favorites. The beginning is difficult. Cherryh's intense first person point of view combined with the claustrophobic situation is almost too much and it lasts a lot of pages. But I loved how she resolves this storyline. Cherryh's resolutions are why I love her books so much.
Leigh
I don't think the usual Cherryh-plot-arc formula--i.e., slow build for about 80% of the book and abrupt, crashing finale--works as well here as it does in most of her other novels that I've read. That said, that last 20% of Abrupt, Crashing Finale was almost good enough to bump Heavy Time up to four stars for me, and I'll definitely be at least attempting its sequel, Hellburner.
Jim
Jan 23, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a tough time getting into this story. There was a little flurry of activity at the beginning then pretty much nothing except talking until near the end. The characters were interesting and the plot was solid but the story was dull, at least to me. There is a sequel but I probably will not bother to read it.
Thea
Aug 29, 2011 Thea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first part of this book was hard for me to get through. As always, with Cherryh's science fiction, it was very heavy on the science. I'm a character person, so it wasn't until I became committed to and invested in my characters that I really got into the book. And then ending... that earned the four stars for me.
Ken McDouall
Sep 22, 2010 Ken McDouall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cherryh does space opera better than most, with rich characterizations and compelling plots. She's also very good at detailing institutional power struggles--in this case between a very powerful company and the pilots it depends on.
Louiz
Jun 13, 2009 Louiz rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
This is the first book in the series (as far as I know) but can be read out of order.

It's a claustrophobic, paranoid setting, and the characters are not all loveable. They are engaging and compelling. And it's a very good introduction to the whole series.
Marne
Feb 25, 2011 Marne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Good book. Well written with interesting characters in a realistic world. The book is largely pessimistic about the future although these days that feels more realistic than many of the more optimistic visions of the future.
Lance Springer
Wow this took forever to get going. Then it was over. Cherryh is very repetitive in her writing. She establishes a character and then beats it to death, usually using the same language for pages and pages. Still trying to burn through some of her novels, but she's just wearing me down.
  • Black Star Rising
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Quester's Endgame
  • Catspaw (Cat, #2)
  • The Lion Game
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Earthclan
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • By Honor Betray'd (Mageworlds, Book 3)
  • Vendetta for the Saint
  • Windfall
  • The X Factor
  • Earthworks
  • Necropath (Bengal Station, #1)
  • A Heritage of Stars
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

The Company Wars (7 books)
  • Downbelow Station (The Company Wars #1)
  • Merchanter's Luck (The Company Wars, #2)
  • Rimrunners (The Company Wars, #3)
  • Hellburner (The Company Wars, #5)
  • Tripoint (The Company Wars, #6)
  • Finity's End (The Company Wars, #7)