Start by marking “Man of Steel and Velvet” as Want to Read:
Man of Steel and Velvet

Man of Steel and Velvet

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
MAN OF STEEL AND VELVET describes in a simple and forthright way what it takes to be a man and how to be a man. At a time when few clear-cut answers are given, the reader will find it refreshing and inspiring to see a sensible, understandable and workable guide for masculine fulfillment.
In learning what it means to be a man, the reader will also learn how to understand wom
Published 1974 by Pacific Press (first published 1972)

Lance
Aug 16, 2008 Lance rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My mother read this when I was about nine, loved it and made me read it. I looked at it and thought, "can't this wait at least until I've reached puberty?" I recommend putting this in the outhouse to use when the ol' Sears and Roebuck's is wiped out.
Christian D.  Orr
May 26, 2013 Christian D. Orr rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"With wisdom, insight, and humor...." the back cover of this edition claims. WHAT humor?!?! A bunch of holier-than-thou, self-righteous, sexist (the mere thought of a woman actually working for a living and having a career makes the author break out in hives), blowhard diatribes which also include advocacy of teetotaling and vegeterianism--yeah, how manly!! A more appropriate title would be "Man of Dullness and Uptightness."

P.S. I wonder how the author thinks we would've won WWII if it weren't f
David
Mar 13, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, cultural
It's hard for me to decide exactly how to rate this. It conveys some fundamental truths that men need to understand in order to be men. On the other hand it has some clear biases that are often outdated. The core truth, that masculinity includes both hard or unbending characteristics (steel) as well as softer, more nurturing characteristics (velvet), is seldom recognized as well as the fact that while the steel characteristics are generally recognized they are also frequently misunderstood.

From
Keith Kendall
Dec 01, 2013 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those seeking to improve their marriage
Recommended to Keith by: Ellen Kreidman
Shelves: marriage
King Arthur
This book got my appreciation for accuracy when I checked out one of it's surprising assertions.
"Another example of steel and velvet is the character of Lancelot in the legend of King Arthur. It is important, though, to first make clear that the movie version of the story is not correct. Lancelot and Gwenivere did not have an illicit affair." (Page 26) "There is reason to believe the adultery of Lancelot and Guinevere was invented wholecloth by Chrétien" "in the 1170's." http://en.wi
Deanna
Feb 19, 2013 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it. Liked it. Learned from it even though I was not the intended audience. Dr Andelin dishes it to the men with the same one-two punch that his wife Helen does to the women in her book.

Cracks me up! If I refer back to it a couple of times I'll bump it to a five star.

Sweet hubby is reading it now. I'm sure lively discussions are sure to follow.
Robby
Jun 05, 2011 Robby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I thought this was written by Hank Rearden. Then I thought that this book was written by a baptist. Contains good definitions for words relating to the mental preparation and sustaining of work. Shows forth confusing to bad commentary on the role of women in industry in lieu of proverbs 31.
Roxi
Mar 12, 2010 Roxi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ephraim finished reading this book, and he said it has changed his life.
He never knew how to deal with women and children before and this book taught him how.
Taro
Nov 17, 2011 Taro rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
In the end, not as funny as it seems.
Scott Collingwood
So far, so good.
AMANDA
AMANDA marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
MissUkamaka
MissUkamaka marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Nik Draeger
Nik Draeger rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
CALVIN
CALVIN marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Mustafa
Mustafa marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Louann Hospedales
Louann Hospedales marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Theodore Clippinger
Theodore Clippinger rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Lakota
Lakota marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Lewis Myers
Lewis Myers marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
shad
shad rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Jason
Jason added it
Dec 22, 2015
Shawna Williams
Shawna Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Bethany Scott
Bethany Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Sean Andersson
Sean Andersson marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Fadzai
Fadzai marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Jason Digman
Jason Digman rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • Leadership: Tidbits and Treasures
  • Resolved Primer: A Look Into The 13 Resolutions
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • Business for the Glory of God: The Bible's Teaching on the Moral Goodness of Business
  • Your Personality Tree