Start by marking “Taking the World in for Repairs” as Want to Read:
Taking the World in for Repairs

Taking the World in for Repairs

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  3 reviews
A collection of a dozen short stories, essays, and memoirs originally published in 1986, and now available in trade paperback. Richard Selzer retired as a surgeon in 1984 to write about his profession. His books include Letters to a Young Doctor, Confessions of a Knife, Mortal Lessons, Rituals of Surgery, and most recent, Raising the Dead.
Published November 1st 1994 by Michigan State University Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Taking the World in for Repairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking the World in for Repairs

Well, even though it contains of short stories -which usually I looove- but this one too heavy for me.
The writer was a doctor, so of course it was naturally for him to wrote all the settings.
But when I got this book -hardcover edition- at 2003, I was a young girl who didn't care about the world too much :(
I think I'll read this once more, maybe now I can see the stories in new perspective :P
Well I guess it had to wait until I finished my three-currently-reading books, and only if I still can't m
It's taken me forever to get to this one but I really enjoy his writing. Why are surgeons such good writers (Michael Crichton..). The first is the best story.
I don't remember many details, except that Selzer is a surgeon and he writes very well and very philosophically. He was one of the earliest "literary docs."
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Karyl Anne
Karyl Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Rj is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2014
Paul added it
Jun 20, 2013
Trenton Quirk
Trenton Quirk marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Hank marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Kris marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Carol S.brown
Carol S.brown marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2012
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2012
Mortal Lessons: Notes on the Art of Surgery Letters to a Young Doctor Confessions of a Knife The Doctor Stories The Exact Location of the Soul: New and Selected Essays