Start by marking “The Unquiet” as Want to Read:
The Unquiet

The Unquiet

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,722 Ratings  ·  308 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Rinn Jacobs has secrets: One, she’s bipolar. Two, she killed her grandmother.

After a suicide attempt, and now her parents' separation, Rinn and her mom move from California to the rural Ohio town where her mother grew up. Back on her medications and hoping to stay well, Rinn settles into her new home, undaunted by the fact that the previous owner hanged h
388 pages
Published July 17th 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about The Unquiet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unquiet

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Selection by Kiera Cass
Amazing YA Covers of 2012
48th out of 740 books — 2,395 voters
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinImaginary Girls by Nova Ren SumaOn the Fringe by Courtney King WalkerThe Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie RyanA Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler
Swimmers on the Cover
7th out of 198 books — 273 voters

More lists with this book...

Blythe
DNF

You know, for a "ghost" story, this has a pretty massive lack of ghosts in it. I made it up to 41% in The Unquiet, and I had absolutely no interest in reading any more of it. Basically, it's just a high-school drama. That's it. There's barely anything paranormal, other than the fact that there's a "haunted" tunnel in the school. I thought The Unquiet was really boring, and not only was it boring, but the characters were cliche and I just really didn't like any of them.

Every single character
Crystal
Jul 23, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book definitely puts the C in Creepy! It usually takes a lot for me to get chills from the books that I read, and yes some of that is because I shy away from thriller type books, but also because well I don't really buy into a lot of the scary stuff. This book made me a believer from the first page. Honestly I still have chills when I think of Annaliese.

Gosh there is so much to this story that I don't even know where to begin. Just when I thought I had it figured out something creepy would
Meagan
Have you ever read a book that was a complete and utter train wreck, but for whatever reason, you would feel bad if you stopped reading it? The Unquiet was one of those books for me. I had a hard time committing myself to finishing the book, and mostly it was because it was a NetGalley, and I’d feel bad if I didn’t review it in the end.

The Unquiet is another book that grossly sensationalizes mental illness, turning it into the butt of numerous jokes throughout the story. Rinn is a boring, bland
Brittany Rehage
Jun 08, 2012 Brittany Rehage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not scare easily. I can watch horror movies, ghost movies, ghost hunt shows...you name it and I don't get scared. Reading The Unquiet had me scared. I jumped when the wind would come up, I jumped when a tree branch would hit the window and I jumped when I heard anything that sounded like footsteps outside my door.

The Unquiet is scary in a subtle way. It's not an in your face ghost story, it's more like a psychological thriller, and for a while, I wasn't even sure if it was really a ghost st
Lauren
Jan 22, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Garsee's newest novel, a truly unsettling ghost story, also features a complex and compelling protagonist: Rinn finally has control of her Bipolar disorder with the help of medication, but she's haunted by the things she did while in the grip of manic phases. Fans of horror movies will love this spooky thriller with an M. Night Shyamulan (circa "Unbreakable") worthy ending - the perfect book to read under the covers!
Keely *Keelskilo*
So, you know, this book started out okay.

Then it got EFFED UP. Yeah, you heard me. Screwball, wackadoodle whatever the heck you wanna call it. It just took the crazy train on down to HolyWhatThePigsVille and stayed there.

Now, (not counting the first chapter because that was a mess) I would have given this book three stars based on the windup. The creepiness of "Can Aaaaaanalise come out to play?" and the "scary tunnel" and, well, the ending too but we'll get to that later. There were bits I LI
Sarah Kalaitzidis
Aug 11, 2012 Sarah Kalaitzidis rated it really liked it
Who would have thought a ghost teen book could actually be scary? Not only do people begin to act weird, there is even death in this book. I did really enjoy this book, and yes, a story focusing on ghosts is a first for me.

Corinne, or Rinn to her friends, is our main character of this book, and she isn’t like most girls you read in Young Adult books. You learn that she is actually bipolar and has to take medication for it. She puts her past behind her to start afresh at her new school. With her
Devyani
Aug 04, 2012 Devyani rated it really liked it
Shelves: scary
rating-> 3.5

“Can Aa-a-ana-liese come out and play?”

I'm usually a fast reader , so to take a week to finish this book is a shocker for me . Now as you may notice , I have given this book a rating of 3.5 which in my opinion is pretty huge . When I had read the synopsis of this book , I was hooked onto it ever since . Haunting ? Spooky ghosts ? A haunted corridor ? A ghost named Annaliese ? Also a bipolar protag ? Now who wouldn't want a piece of that .

Rinn Jacobs , a sixteen year old girl wh
Lindsey
Was this my favorite book? no. Did I enjoy it? Yes.

The writing and the plot are interesting and because of that I wanted to just keep reading. However I found some parts to be boring and a few parts could have been shorter or taken out. The beginning was a little slow for me but it started to pick up about around page 100.

The characters are the normal characters found in most young adult books and they experience the normal things but with added ghosts (not many but a few). I found myself hati
Taschima Cullen
Sep 26, 2012 Taschima Cullen marked it as to-read
Remarkable cover, intriguing summary. The Unquiet is one to look out for.

How can this book be a 5 star if it hasn't even come out yet and there are no reviews for it xD? OUT!
Aleah
Feb 01, 2015 Aleah rated it really liked it
I was very shocked at the ending! It was very different and it really gave me some chills!

Characters: Rinn Jacobs is the main character and let me say, this girl is awesome! I would love to be friends with this girl! She is so sarcastic, stubborn, and just a strong person in general. She has bipolar disorder, and her sickness led to some events which leads to her moving to Ohio. Her character development was on point. Nate is awesome too.

Story: I really like the story. It is very different from
Heather
Aug 01, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult
This book disturbed me, in the best possible way. Rinn is hoping to leave her past behind, and start fresh as the new girl in her mom’s hometown. She’s got a love interest in the cute neighbor boy, Nate, and a friend of the family means she’s got an in with the in-crowd at school. Things seem to be going well until she learns the shocking history of their rented house, and becomes involved with the secretive past of the old school pool.

This was such a page turner, and at times I couldn’t figure
Darkfallen
Jun 26, 2012 Darkfallen rated it it was amazing
This book was simply amazing in the most chilling and twisted way!

Rinn is finally starting to put her life back together after discovering that she is bipolar. Thankfully now that she is on the proper medication things are starting to be more normal. Although overcoming everything that happened before she started taking the meds isn't as easy as she would have hoped. So her and her mother pack up and leave California for the small Ohio town her mother grew up in. While trying to start over Rinn
Nafiza
Dec 13, 2012 Nafiza rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
If you are looking for a really creepy novel where ghosts are not the benign Caspers that populate kiddie cartoons, The Unquiet is for you. It’s supernatural elements are truly frightening and the atmosphere evoked does a lot to create a sense of fear and hesitation as the narrative hinges upon the unknown. What I mean is, you don’t know where the narrative will go next. The Unquiet contains one of the most malevolent ghosts ever. The ghost as a backstory but that does not in any way give the gh ...more
Jennifer at BookShelfery
Jun 21, 2012 Jennifer at BookShelfery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This review is also posted at The Bawdy Book Blog

The Unquiet will haunt you…long after you’ve turned the last page and long after you think the story is over.

I spook easily, but for some inexplicable reason, I absolutely LOVE ghost stories. Especially the kind that wind their way through your subconscious until you don’t know what’s reality and what’s not anymore. Jeannine Garsee has fabricated the wonderful yet uneasy tale of Rinn Jacobs, a bipolar teenager who moves into the old house of someo
Melannie :)
Jul 31, 2012 Melannie :) rated it it was amazing
Check out my interview with the author for cool stories related to the book: http://booksarevital.blogspot.com/201...

I was so surprised by this book, I started with the idea that this was a contemporary read (I love Contemps!) but it turned out to be more than that, it was paranormal and fantasy and a lot of things mixed in a bowl of awesome.

Rinn Jacobs is on medication because of bipolarity disorder (which by itself is such a complex illness) so that was definitely an interesting point for me.
Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)
Oct 26, 2012 Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing) rated it really liked it
I love a really great ghost story. I’m a fan of those where the author is not afraid to kill off a couple of characters and The Unquiet definitely surpassed my expectations. It was more of a thriller than a ghost story as we don’t really see a ghost in the story through most of it but crazy things begin to happen from the start after Rinn moves into town. It’s definitely not one you should be reading at night before going to sleep, I started thinking I could hear creaking noises and seeing shado ...more
Jul 10, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Unquiet was just what I was hoping it would be. It was twisted and creepy and also touched on the psychological aspects that really draw me into novels. Rinn is a very interesting character, she's very complex and I felt like her character was very strongly developed. Rinn is bipolar and blames herself for her grandmothers untimely death.

Rinn and her mother move to the town where her mother grew up and Rinn attends the same High School her mom attended. Lies, murder, and deception all lay d
Lacey
Jun 18, 2012 Lacey rated it really liked it
First Thoughts:

At first I didn’t know what to make of this book, I kind of felt distant from the story at first; it almost felt like a fluff book and I kind of have to be in a mood to read one of those books. And the characters! Oh My! It took some serious adjusting before this story really took off. But once you get past the point of fluffiness the book really picked up and I became intrigued with the story and the spookiness of it all. This was a fast and fun read; there was plenty of action a
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Rinn is moving with her mother back to the small town where her mother grew up, but she’s taking secrets with her.
Not only is Rinn bipolar, but she also suffers from delusions, and accidentally killed her grandmother because of it. Rinn isn’t the only one in town with secrets though.
What secrets is the town hiding? And is there any truth to the story that the school pool is haunted?

I really enjoyed this, and although some things were obvious, there
Jessica Lopez
I can honestly say that I did not like the book that much for the first 50 pages. I found Rinn annoying (but then again, I tend to dislike any character as soon as they say "Ohmigosh") and I couldn't stand the friends that she was putting up with. However, I really liked the plot that was being set up so I stuck it through. I also realized that Rinn was in a bit of a delicate and desperate situation and honestly, I would have done the same thing. As the book progressed, I became more immersed in ...more
Kah Cherub
Jul 11, 2012 Kah Cherub rated it it was amazing
Read complete review here: http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2...

Corinne Jacobs has been a good girl, taking all of her meds everyday, for 3 months and 13 days. Why she's being so careful and counting all the days like that? Because of what happened 3 months and 13 days ago. The time when she decided to stop with her bipolar meds and ended up killing her grandmother.

Now her stepfather hates her and her mother has dragged her from sunny California to chilling middle-of-nowhere Ohio, where she g
Amber at Fall Into Books
Jan 26, 2013 Amber at Fall Into Books rated it really liked it
The Unquiet creeped me out! I was not expecting it to be so scary. Honestly, I thought this was a book about mental illness and a girl who thought she saw ghosts, and maybe it is. The ending is unclear. The vague synopsis gave nothing away about how scary this book truly is. If you like scary stories, you'll love this book. If you don't, I'd steer clear of it, if I were you. I had to sleep with my light on after reading it (like a child, haha), and I enjoy horror stories. However, since I wasn't ...more
Abbie
Jan 15, 2014 Abbie rated it liked it
The Unquiet was a good read, but the main character annoyed me at points.

Rinn did come out with some funny lines, and did try her best to work out what was happening, but sometimes, her best efforts weren't that great.
She was just really slow on the uptake. It took her ages to figure out things that were quite obvious.
She could also be really stupid when it came to her medication.

Some of the other characters annoyed me slightly too.

Apart from that, i did enjoy the story.
The "creepy" goings on
Kelli Lee
Aug 24, 2012 Kelli Lee rated it really liked it
3.5
Upon finishing this book last night, I was left scratching my head. For I'm not really sure if there was a ghost or if it was a story of a girl spiraling into madness. I guess you'll have to decide for yourself. Aside from that, it's a fairly quick read. The story moves along at a swift pace. Though kinda gets a tad wonky towards the end and happened rather quickly to boot. Bam! THE END.

The Unquiet definitely has a Girl Interrupted vibe if the characters had been checked out of treatment, ad
J. Andersen
May 30, 2012 J. Andersen rated it really liked it
Eek! I almost stopped reading this story, but not because it was bad. Because it scared the crap out of me! I don't care that I'm a 33 year old woman. I have an active imagination and could picture every detail. Reading it in the daylight was my saving grace.

Jeannine Garsee is a masterful writer. I loved the characters from the beginning. They were well rounded and interesting with flaws as well as strengths.

I do have to admit that nearing the end, I figured out the connection between what was
Kim Smiley
Mar 20, 2014 Kim Smiley rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and this story. After reading the dust jacket, I found out that the author is from the Cleveland Ohio area, right where I live! I was impressed w/ this book and very curious about which school she was referencing when she said this book was loosely based on a school she attended in her very early school years.

That said, Corrine, (Rinn as everyone calls her) has to take meds for being bipolar. We find that her mom has separated from her stepfather Frank, who had adopted h
Chelsea
Sep 02, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it
The Unquiet captured my attention from the first page. I love ghost stories, and horror stories, and this one was one of the best that I have read. This book was a quick read with an interesting plot.

I really liked getting to know Rinn as a character, and how she grows throughout the story. I also really enjoyed Nate as a romantic interest.

I highly recommend this book!
Aditi Gandhi
Dec 28, 2014 Aditi Gandhi rated it really liked it
Four stars.

Corrine is mentally ill in numerous ways. Nate is her neighbour, and an absolute sweetheart. Lacy is the quintessential high school Queen Bee. Tasha is the Olympic aspirant. Dino, the class-cutting stoner. Meg is the nicer cheerleader.
And they all have one thing in common: parents who were the classmates of a dead girl who is said to haunt the school's indoor pool room.

I finished this book at one in the morning. I couldn't sleep all night. But I loved it. Jeannine Garsee's fast-pac
Jessica  Sinn (Chick Lit Cafe)
Sep 28, 2014 Jessica Sinn (Chick Lit Cafe) rated it really liked it
Imagine the horror of walking through a dark, haunted tunnel on a daily basis just to get to gym class. That’s what 16-year-old Rinn Jacobs had to deal with when she moved from her upscale high school in sunny California to her mother’s alma mater in rural Ohio. Not only does she attend a ghost-infested high school, she sleeps in the same room where an old woman hanged herself. Creepy much!

Of course, her situation isn’t all gloom and doom. The hot farmer boy next door is at her beck and call whe
FYA Book Club of ...: November 2013 Read- The Unquiet Discussion 12 14 Nov 21, 2013 01:18PM
  • Don't You Wish
  • Velveteen
  • Backward Glass
  • Drain You
  • Dark Storm
Jeannine Garsee is the author of three contemporary YA novels: THE UNQUIET (2011) SAY THE WORD (2009) and BEFORE, AFTER, AND SOMEBODY IN BETWEEN (2007)(Bloomsbury USA Children's Books.) Her essay "Fearless" appears in the Harper Collins anthology DEAR BULLY: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories, edited by Megan Kelly Hall and Carrie Jones.
More about Jeannine Garsee...

“Psychosis can happen out of the blue, to anyone, and no one knows why. Not even the best doctors on the planet.

And that’s why Mom is always so afraid. If we don’t know what made me sick in the first place, how can anyone guarantee I won’t flip out again?”
42 likes