Start by marking “Embers of Hope (Second Gift, #1)” as Want to Read:
Embers of Hope (Second Gift, #1)

Embers of Hope (Second Gift #1)

Savanna dreaded telling her family and friends about her failed marriage so much that she hid it while living in another state. But she can’t stay away when her best friend Cassie loses her husband, who dies on duty as a firefighter. Savanna quickly returns home to help, longing to find herself again and make a home for her daughter. She meets Mike’s best friend, Jason, th ...more
Kindle Edition, Second Edition (June 2012), 214 pages
Published June 27th 2011 by Kristen James

To ask other readers questions about Embers of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embers of Hope

Wanda Hartzenberg
Jan 19, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Embers of Hope (Second Gift series by Kirsten James
Since the first book I’ve read by this author I was impressed with the fact that her romance books is always based on real life situations. No heiress or Duke working as a farmhand. This is real people in real life and they have real life problems.
This book the male protagonist has two problems. Okay three.
One, he has an ex girlfriend who wants him to be the daddy of her baby! The fact that he is not the father is not her problem.
He also has a
Anne OK
Jan 01, 2012 Anne OK rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-reads
This one had the potential to be so much more than it turned out to be. Not really fully well-developed story in my opinion. Rushed relationship, rushed ending with too many problems thrown into the storyline with none fully completed. The storyline involves a fireman, Jason who saved a young woman's life in an apartment fire. Two years later Jason and Savanna come face-to-face once again. He has just lost his best friend in a tragic fire and the widow holds him responsible. The widow just happe ...more
Amanda
Aug 01, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
There was a good story in there....somewhere.

I rate this book a 3, because it did keep me engaged and I did finish it. However, there are several problems with it. The first is that in some places, the author has the wrong character name (and it is obvious - like the main character refers to her boyfriend as Mike rather than Jason or the best friend refers to her husband as Eric rather than Mike). The story line also didn't seem fully flushed out. There was a lot going on and it hit you very fas
Melissa
Nov 09, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing

I am a woman. If you cut me, do I not bleed? If you offer me chocolate, do I not take it? If you offer me romance, do I not read it?! Of course I do, I am woman. Let me introduce you to my newest weakness. Romance novels by author Kristen James. I met Kristen via an interview I recently did on her (Interview) and decided to try her book. Boy is the woman, and reader, in me happy I did! Embers of Hope, Flickers of Passion is a well written love story, reminiscent of the movie Backdraft, in the f
Heather
Apr 17, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Synopsis
A year after her divorce from Eric, Savannah returned to her home town, with her daughter Aubrey, to help her best friend, Cassie. Cassie’s husband, Mike, had been a firefighter and had died in a work-related accident. Cassie watched her dreams disappear at his loss. As Savannah and Aubrey stayed with her to help, it became increasingly difficult to deny that it hurt Cassie to look at Aubrey and realize her dream of having a child with Mike was over. She even had a nursery ready in her h
Sterling4
Jun 13, 2012 Sterling4 rated it it was amazing
Embers of Hope “Second Edition”:

When you’re dealing with a divorce, a small child, and a breakup with your best friend, life is tough! In Embers of Hope, this describes Savanna, the central character, as she faces life’s challenges. I liked the author’s genuine style in portraying Savanna as real as possible ... someone with a good heart trapped in bad circumstances.

Brenda
Mar 05, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
This was a compelling, emotional read that took me by surprise. I'd been in a bit of a reading slump, and didn't know what to start next when I spotted this on my Kindle from when I picked it up free on Amazon. Savannah is a single mother who kept her friends and family in the dark about her divorce but then she comes home and has to explain the turns her life has taken. She finds that her friends and family need her support as much as she needs theirs. It's a story of forgiveness, trust, love a ...more
Jane
Embers of Hope starts with a rescue from a burning building of Savanna by handsome firefighter, Jason. A couple of years later they meet again when Savanna returns to Eugene, Oregon from Texas. She has married, divorced and had a daughter.

Savanna returns to Eugene to be with her best friend, Cassie because her husband, Mike has been killed in a fire he was fighting. This sets the emotional story of loss, love and finding a way to help each other in an excellent story. The traumatic loss of the c
Shan ~ A ~
Jun 13, 2013 Shan ~ A ~ rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
I liked the premise of the story. Firefighter saves girl, a couple years go by the meet again and feel automatic connection. The meeting however is under tragic circumstances, but the bond is very much real to them both. A few obstacles in their way, themselves included, but they persevere.

All that sounded good, the execution just wasn't that great. I hate to say that because I wanted to like this story so much.

Without being too negative, there were a quite a few errors. I can over some spelli
Judy
May 05, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of Contemporary Romance
When I can't find a cowboy, I'll happily take a fireman!!
I loved Jason & Savanna's story. The characters were compelling. There was plenty of romantic tension with a long build up to a relationship. (This book did fade to the curtains when the clothes came off, so don't expect details.) I was not crazy about Cassie, the new widow, and as I continued to not like her I started feeling guilty for not liking her. In my defense, in her state of mind she wasn't acting very likable which is unders
Brandi Streeval
Jun 13, 2012 Brandi Streeval rated it it was amazing
i got this e-book for review from the Author, i really liked and enjoyed the storyline of this book alot, i could hardly put down my nook, i wanted to keep on reading more and more to see what happens next, if you like romance novels than you will really like this book alot, i really enjoyed this book alot, i liked this book more than i thought that i would, this book is very good and very entertaining, i give this book 5 stars, i highly recommend this book to everyone especially if you like rom ...more
Amy Denim
A lovely recovery and romance story with everyone's favorite, firefighters! This is an indie/self pub author and she's obviously put a great deal of work into this book. The story is well written. I found only a couple of small inconsistencies and typos.
I really enjoyed the hero's journey especially, well, because, yum, he's a hot fireman. Both the hero and heroine were relatable and had trials and tribulations that matter in today's everyday life. I will look for more from this author.
Mandy
Jan 04, 2012 Mandy rated it did not like it
Ugh, the whole time I was reading this I was finding errors and typos. The pace of the story, the character development, and the mentality of the characters drove me insane. I would have put it down if it weren't for my inability to not finish a book. At the end I saw the list of books the author had written and saw that it was the same author that wrote "A Cowboy for Christmas," which I also hated. What a waste of my time. Good thing I didn't pay for either book, they were free on kindle.
KStar0330
Oct 14, 2014 KStar0330 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely gives hope for its characters after such tragic circumstances happen to them. Sweet romance and cute little one included. Another great story by Kristen James. Read this as part of License to Love: Box Set (Contemporary Romance). Can't wait to read the continuation of Cassie's story in More Than a Promise. Also loved More Than Memories that was so cute and sweet as well too. :)
Debbie
Aug 25, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
I like this book. Savanna goes home to help her friend Cassie with her husbands death. Savanna meets Jason, a firefighter dealing with the death of his best friend. In the midst of each of their struggles, a relationship starts to bloom, and again, I appreciate author Kristen James’s ability to bring the initial attraction to life with quick, honest dialogue that immediately drew me into the story.
Shelley Chastagner
Jan 22, 2012 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it
Strong characters dealing with heart breaking circumstances. Death, divorce, rejection, remorse, single parenting and loss of the chance to fulfill dreams. The author didn't create a perfect ending for everyone of her characters. Time needs to pass for some heartaches to heal but she shows that with time come hope for healing and love.
Michel Prince
Jul 02, 2014 Michel Prince rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the strength of the heroine in this story. I've been reading too many stories where the woman come off weak, but I enjoyed the way that Savanna was there for everyone and could handle all her own issues without reservation. I found myself unable to put this book down until I had completed it a very rare thing for me.
Char (1RadReader59)
Jul 02, 2012 Char (1RadReader59) rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story. Savanna, Cassie & Jason were all brought together by the death of Cassie's husband Mike. Tenses run high when Jason is a horrible reminder to Cassie of what she has lost with Mike. Sparks fly between Savanna & Jason which makes for a.sticky situation for Jason & Savanna. Overall very sweet story.
Meetta
Aug 08, 2014 Meetta rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It took me a day to read it all. I'm looking forward to reading the next book that focuses more on Cassie. This is the second book I've read by this author and I haven't been disappointed. Definitely recommend this book and author.
Theresa
Sep 24, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing
I really injoy reading this. Up until a couple months ago I don't even think I read a by Ms. James. I like the way she writes. She will be added to my favorite authors. AMAZING READ.
Sharlet Mullen
Embers of Hopes keeps you wanting and hoping for more. What will happen next. There is sadness and happiness around every corner. the passion of the story builds and builds.
Karen seng
Jan 18, 2012 Karen seng rated it it was amazing
was a good book savanna was rescued out of a burning building then a few years passed she marries the fire fighter that saves her
Donna Bills
May 21, 2012 Donna Bills rated it it was amazing
This book was very good if you like Romance and want to read a fast read this book is for you I Loved it
Tasha
Feb 07, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
This book has more twist and turns then a road does but anyways this is a wonderful book to read and enjoy
Shari
Feb 06, 2014 Shari rated it it was amazing
Loved It! Great heart felt story. Would have liked for it to have been longer.
Stephanie Gallegos
Nov 03, 2012 Stephanie Gallegos rated it it was amazing
It was heart wrenching....love that comes out at the end.
Kelly Akemann
Jun 08, 2013 Kelly Akemann rated it really liked it
A good story with interesting plot twists and character development.
Poonam
Jan 15, 2013 Poonam rated it it was amazing
Emotional love story!Love the romance between Jason and Savanna.
(PNR Book Lover Reviews),
Feb 12, 2012 (PNR Book Lover Reviews), rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, Lovely story i would totally re read again!!
Gail Mcclain
Apr 13, 2013 Gail Mcclain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read. Wonderful story line.
  • When the Heart Falls
  • In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)
  • Eye of the Abductor
  • Through Smoke (Firefighter Heroes Trilogy, #1)
  • Betting on Love
  • Dodge the Bullet
  • Bound to Love
  • If We Dare to Dream (Evans Family, #1)
  • Babies in the Bargain
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • Happily Ever Afton
  • Cowboys and Angels (Aspen, #3)
  • Return Of The Runaway Bride
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • Heart of a Knight
  • Blind Date, Checkmate
  • With this Kiss
  • Stalking Love
Kristen James lives in the Pacific Northwest (USA) and enjoys many outdoor activities such as cycling, hiking, berry picking and canoeing. Her writing features the mountains and coastline in her home state of Oregon, along with lots of conflict and emotion! She loves creating unique story lines and strong, complicated characters that stay with readers. Kristen is the author of over twenty books, a ...more
More about Kristen James...

Second Gift (2 books)
  • More Than a Promise (Second Gift, #2)