Start by marking “The Snow Queen Chapter” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen Chapter

The Snow Queen Chapter

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  7 reviews
An exquisitely illustrated retelling of the classic story by Hans Christian Anderson. An evil troll creates a mirror which reflects the bad and ugly sides of people. Shards of its glass enter a young boy, causing him to reject his loving family and best friend Gerda. Helped by kind strangers and guided by her warm heart, Gerda makes the perilous journey to rescue her frien ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Queen Chapter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Queen Chapter

Rita Bradley
This chilling adventure is retold in a clear style with carefully chosen vocabulary to make it suitable for newly confident readers. Kay is helped by kind strangers and we gain a strong sense of good and evil which helps children to learn right from wrong.It is set out in a beautifully produced book and illustrates the cold and icy palace in great detail. This book guides us through Gerda setting out to rescue her brother Kay from the grip of the wicked Snow Queen and we cannot help but wish for ...more
Jayne
Wow, I opened up this book and it took my breath away...the illustrations are so beautiful...well done, Miss Clara! I can't wait to get stuck into this magical, mystical children's story with a message... :)

This story did not disappoint. The fairy tale has meaningful and symbolic undertones: perfect for parents whom wish to fill their children's heads with truth. The illustrations are whimsical, beautiful, and captivating.

With a beautiful fairy-tale, exquisite illustrations and a heart-felt mess
Jay
I had to read this because Frozen was originated of the story the Snow Queen. It was very interesting to read. I love reading fairy tales and I loved it, with the twists and turns, don't forget the loyalty Gerna (Sorry if I spelled her name wrong) showed to Kay.
Relyn
May 28, 2012 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
Shelves: lawsonland
Barefoot Books has created a series of gorgeously illustrated retold fairy tales for younger readers. This is the first I've seen and it is utterly gorgeous. The story is chapter book, but still familiar version of the original Snow Queen. What makes it remarkable are the wonderful illustrations by Miss Clara. WOW!! I am going to start collecting the books in this series for my classroom.

Lesson Connection
Fairy tale unit
Tori
I love Barefoot Books, and was especially thrilled with the beautiful artwork throughout this great book. My only bit of sadness that holds back the fifth star is that the book is too short.
Gabriel M. Clarke
This was actually rather well done (beautiful illustrations too) and didn't compromise on the menace and sense of hidden mysticism of the original. My 5yo loved having it read to her.
Maria
It was kind of random and even for a fairy tale, a bit unbelievable.
Melinda
Melinda is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Sep 08, 2014
Celena
Celena marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Bonita Broughton
Bonita Broughton marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Cam
Cam added it
Jun 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Ty Jackson
Ty Jackson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sidratul
Sidratul marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Feb 26, 2014
Prem Samuel
Prem Samuel marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Feb 16, 2014
Sarah Lowes has always been fascinated by stories. She spent the early part of her career as a Primary School teacher, where she was able to study the effects of the written and spoken word on young children. She then trained as a psychotherapist, specializing in fairy tales and realizing that story creates a kind of trance where all things are possible and many things can be healed. Sarah lives i ...more
More about Sarah Lowes...