Start by marking “The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks” as Want to Read:
The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks

The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The entire run of short stories created for 2000 AD by the most celebrated author in comics history, Alan Moore. Each one is like a small episode of the Twilight Zone.

For the Future Shocks series of short stories with a twist ending, Alan Moore created some of his most exciting, memorable and explicitly entertaining work.

Also featured in this outstanding collection are hi
Published November 15th 2011 by 2000 AD (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks

Early Alan Moore is my favourite Moore era - of his longform work, as much as I love Watchmen I love Halo Jones more. This collection of Moore's short 2000AD work - Future Shocks, Time Twisters, one-offs and Abelard Snazz stories - is an absolute gold mine of neat concepts, 2000AD style humour and bite-size delights. Some of the twists can be seen coming from a mile off, but most of this dates from the early 80s so can be forgiven seeming hokey now. What's critical is that even the hokey ones ar ...more
Took me longer than it should have to finish this, which is weird since I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the stories were hilarious, and a lot of them had a nice twist.
Variaciones Enrojo
Reseña de Roberto Pastor para Fancueva:

El Decálogo de Alan Moore (VII): 2000 AD
Hablar de 2000 AD es hablar de un hito en el mundo del cómic. Desde que se fundase en 1977, las páginas de este mítico cómic de ciencia-ficción han servido de trampolín para grandes nombres del gremio, como Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Alan Davis, Dave Gibbons o el maestro Alan Moore. Evidentemente, es por este último por lo que destacamos esta publicación en el decálogo de Moor
Federiken Masters
Mar 09, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: ¿Hace falta decirlo?
Creo que la peor de las historias de este tomo rozaría las cuatro estrellitas si le hiciera una reseña por separado, pero en su gran mayoría son pequeñas joyitas de relojería. Historias de terror, de ciencia ficción, de fantasía; todos los géneros pasan por la mordaz regurgitación de un Moore jovencísimo y afiladísimo que ya entonces perfilaba como uno de los mejores artistas del noveno arte.
Paranoie in stile anni '80, humour british, un po' di fantascienza e un po' di horror, uno scrittore geniale e una cascata di eccellenti disegnatori.
L'Alan Moore giovanile e quello di nicchia: i suoi primi lavori ed i racconti brevi lasciati da parte. Nessun vero fan di Moore può lasciarselo sfuggire.
Khairul H.
Before he hit it big over at DC, Alan Moore worked for 2000AD writing short 3-4 page stories with twists at the end.
I don't know why I'm surprised that I liked this as much as I did. I think having read several anthology collections of short comic stories made me expect the worst, because many of the ones I've read lately have been very hit and miss. In comics, it seems like the short subject is kind of hard to nail. I guess it helps a lot when you're Alan Moore.

This collection reprints dozens of Alan Moore's earliest work for the British comic magazine 2000 AD, all of it sci-fi, most of it huge and/or goofy,
Kee the Ekairidium
Alan Moore is probably my favorite comic book writer EVER solely because Watchmen remains a personally influential work for me (and, to a lesser extent, his erotica Lost Girls). I didn't know what I was going to get when I bought this, but my faith in anything Moore has written had allowed me to risk purchasing this almost obscure work of his, at least as far as I know.

The Complete Future Shocks is an anthology of comic strips, ranging from one-spread stories to at least four to six pages of na
Originally published in the British magazine 2000AD, future shocks are Alan Moore at his most imaginative early days. The stories progressively turn stranger and stranger concluding with a multi part arc of the super genius double decker mind. These were published in Greek on the weekly periodical 'αγόρι' back in the mid to late eighties. I never missed them and still highly recommend.
Matt Kelland
I loved these when they first came out. Re-reading them many years later, they were still an interesting curio, just to see Moore long before he really found his niche. However, they weren't nearly as much fun as I remember. Maybe I need to re-read The Complete D.R. & Quinch instead.
K. Carters
Some of these are a little dated now with references from the 1980s that I didn't full understand but there's no doubting the quality in many of these. This is definitely a great collection and you see some of his later themes presented in human reservations and so forth. Definitely worth a purchase and a read. Highly recommended.
Bussaracum Chuenchomlada
A collection of illustrated sci-fi short stories with enough mindfuckeries to keep your brain occupy for days. The quality of art can vary but the plots are inimitably sarcastic, insightful, disturbing, funny, and basically Alan Moore-ish. Absolutely adore it.
I actually subscribed to 2000AD during the 80s and remember a lot of these from the time. At least one I still occasionally quote ("It's the martian radiation, they put it in the light-bulbs" is my go-to line for a jokey faux insanity). It's interesting how many of them are products of their time, commenting on the politics and concerns of the 80s. It's also interesting how many of them are riffing on themes from 60s/70s SciFi. Most of all though they are funny (apart from one 'time travel' stor ...more
William Owen
Still trying to decide overall how I feel about this, but it is impressive to see the stories being told happening so quickly. But that is also one of the drawbacks, the brevity of these pieces do not really suit the kind of storytelling I enjoy - and which Moore excels at. There isn't quite enough to sink my teeth into most of the time.

At the least this warrants a reread in a different prose-consumption/creation context.
A mixed bag - some better than others, obviously. I generally preferred the first section of the book - the time twisters and other bits were a bit too odd.
I picked up a signed copy of this at the night at the Barbican a few weeks ago as it was one of only two things they had that I'd not read yet. I really enjoyed these shorts. It was a graphic novel you couldn't sit and read all in one go, but had to pick up and read a few stories at a time. They were amusing scifi stories poking fun at civilisation today in a very Alan Moore way. I enjoyed the first three sections very much, the last set of stories with the guy with two sets of eyes was my least ...more
Michael Larson
It's fascinating to see Alan Moore using these 2-6 page stories to experiment with ideas that he would later explore in more detail in his more famous works. He's a master at taking what could be just gimmicky ideas to their logical extreme, such as a man who experiences his entire life backwards, or a job description for custodian of the universe. His wit and attention to detail give the best of these stories an unexpected emotional and existential weight. Some of the pieces don't go far beyond ...more
for my money, wittiest, most amusing thing moore ever did
Dony Grayman
Edición española integral de los Future Shocks de Alan Moore.
Storie bellissime, fantascienza VERA.
Storie brevi, alcune anche soltanto di due pagine, ma in ognuna di esse c'è spazio per riflessioni sulla società, sull'evoluzione umana, sulla tecnologia e un sano tocco di humour che non poche volte mi ha fatto sorridere.
Ognuna di queste piccole storie è materiale per una trama a sé stante più lunga, e per i fan delle opere più note di Moore non sarà difficile notare tanti spunti poi ripresi nelle sue opere future.
The first set of Future Shock stories were amusing, often with a bit of social commentary, but nothing I thought amazing. It reminded me a lot of the quirky stories from Heavy Metal Magazine.

I liked the Time Twisters much better - they were more creative and interesting.

The comic stories finish up with a mix - which are kind of hit and miss.

Overall - it was just ok, some stories were really enjoyable; but some were completely forgettable.
All of Mr Moore's short 'Future Shock' stories and other short strips out of 2000AD from the early 80's.
2 - 4 page black and white stories that usually end with a comical/sinister ending.

Absolutely fuckin' brilliant. I've never read a 2000AD and now feel like I may have missed out on loads of decent stuff.

I have no idea where the hideous, detective looking cover comes from though. Poor choice, it almost stopped me reading the book.
Una excelente colección de historias, sin puntos bajos. Alf diria que es un pepún.
Simone Guidi
È un Alan Moore ancora acerbo quello che si legge in questa raccolta. Dice bene la quarta di copertina: "prima di Watchman, prima di V per vendetta". Queste sono opere minori, piccole nella dimensione ma anche nello spessore narrativo, sicuramente seminali ai capolavori che Moore scriverà negli anni successivi.
"Futuri incredibili" è imprendibile per gli estimatori di Moore. Trascurabile per tutti gli altri.
May 12, 2013 B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: borrowed
I think this Moore guy has a future.

It's like condensed Twilight Zone with a sparkle of humor and some indie/political sensibility.

The only drawbacks are (1) the art and text sometimes get a little cramped. I think that's, in part, because it's all black & white and because it's somewhat detailed. (2) Moore seems to run out of twists and do the same one a couple of times.
It surprised me that I remembered so many of these short tales from the orginal run. I was a regular collector/reader of 2000AD from prog 1 until well into the 900's and Future Shocks was always one of my favorite sections. Alan Moore's stories were always funny and disturbing, a great mix. Fab stuff collected from the greatest comic book ever created.
Stephen Gracia
An interesting collection of Moore's 2000AD work-for-hire. The "Future Shocks" are fun, two page Sci-Fi stories in the Twilight Zone, twist-ending vein, but the real treats here are the "Time Twisters" which all focus on some variation of time travel. The one about the man who lives his life in reverse is particularly touching.
Fun! Much like reading a Creepy or Eerie collection in which Alan Moore wrote every story. Short black and white sci-fi/horror tales with, mostly, twist endings and a lot of tongue in cheek humor. Plus some nice art by such luminaries as Dave Gibbons, Alan Davis, John Higgins, Bryan Talbot, Steve Dillon and more.
This one gets three strong stars. Moore's work for 2000 AD is in the EC Comics tradition, so expect plenty of corny ironies and pun-based plots. That said, even at his fastest and least detailed, Moore is a very smart writer. At the age of ten, I would've adored this collection.
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 03
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01
  • Judge Dredd, Volume 1
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 1: The Drowning (Abe Sapien, #1)
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 4: H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Lovecraft Anthology: Volume 2
  • Top 10: Beyond the Farthest Precinct
  • Essential Silver Surfer, Vol. 1
  • Orbiter
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (2nd ed.)
  • Empire

Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egypt
More about Alan Moore...