Start by marking “Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)” as Want to Read:
Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)

Iceberg (Dirk Pitt #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  13,880 ratings  ·  266 reviews
The towering iceberg drifting in the North Atlantic was a floating tomb. Embedded in the great gleaming mass was a ship - sealed in so solidly that not even its mast protruded.

Here was a sea mystery to rank alongside the Bermuda Triangle and the Marie Celeste. But for Major Dirk Pitt, top troubleshooter for the National Underwater and Marine Agency, it was also the first l
Published (first published September 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Iceberg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iceberg

Josh
May 14, 2007 Josh rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: booksread
That Clive Cussler is the greatest homophobic, perverse, women loathing writer of our time
Pam (E.P. Scott)
Iceberg, the third installement in the Dirk Pitt series reveals a dark side of Pitt not seen in Cussler's first two books.

As he searches for, and discovers the subterfuge with the mysterious boat inside the iceberg, he travels to Iceland and exposes a sinister international plot. But, he also takes a rollercoaster ride of emotions as he deals with the person behind the operation, a man who is ruthless and cruel.

A dark side of Pitt is revealed as he witnesses, first hand Rondheim's sadistic pun
Bob Milne
With my reading habits thrown off by a broken e-reader, I've been forced to delve into the towering stacks of paperbacks that clutter my shelves. It's not nearly as convenient, and has certainly put me a bit behind with those titles I've been sent for review, but it's kind of nice to catch up on some of my pleasure reading. That's not to say the arrival of a replacement e-reader wouldn't be a HUGE relief, but I'm coping.

Plucked from the dusty depths this weekend was Iceberg, a very early Dirk Pi
Michael
There are some books you read for their great literary merits. And then there are some you read just to have a good time and not think too much about them.

So far, it appears Clive Cussler novels fit into the latter category.

Iceberg appears to be no exception.

Dirk Pitt is back, this time racing against time to find a ship frozen inside an iceberg. Before you know it, there's a far reaching conspiracy and Pitt is firmly at the center of unraveling it.

I've heard the first two Pitt books are to t
Ashley Arthur
Cussler’s books in the Dirk Pitt series tend to be either a hit or a miss with me. This is the second book in the series, and it wasn’t my favorite, but I enjoyed it. The pace is quick, with lots of chase scenes and close encounters. Many reviewers will complain that the plot is not believable. I would remind them that, in the same way that you don’t watch a James Bond movie to see something realistic, you don’t pick up a Dirk Pitt book expecting a predictable storyline. You have to suspend disb ...more
Anna
So far I have not found even one Cussler book I haven't liked.
Just perfect for any grown up fan of the Hardy Boys, with a hero that's a hint of James Bond (action, adventure, exotic locations, good food and drinks and women) and with a lot of science all over. While this book isn't my most favorite of the series, it was still fun.

This one was first published in 1975. Everyone not having a mobile phone around them all the time is one thing that was different, and another - that seems to generate
Graham
dirk pitt books are my guilty pleasure; terribly written, totally unbelievable, but non-stop action. This however pushes me over the edge. A totally nonsense, aimless story, even for me the blatant sexism and homophobia (dirk pitt spends half the book pretending to be gay by mincing around in Danny la rue outfits) is a bridge too far. My guilty pleasure may be at an end after at least 10 books. Sad.
3omar
The main characters in the story are Dirk Pitt and he’s the hero. Dr Bill Hunwell helps Pitt in he’s mission. Admiral James Sandecker and has the one that assigns Pitt to this mission.Krisiti Fyre sister of the guy they were looking for but in the end she holds a big secret.
The story starts out when a coast guard finds a ship stuck inside an iceberg so they report it back to base and they mark it by red dye. Admiral Sandecker gives Pitt and dr Hunnwell the job to research the ship. On the way th
Jo
Although Mr. Cussler's writing has gotten better in each book, ICEBURG is my favorite. When it first came out, I was in my late teens and had just been to Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean ride, so I guess that is what made me identify with the book first, but I also love the ending where Pitt exacts revenge (or Justice?) on Rondheim for all of the people he hurt or killed. I know it's not necessarily the right thing to have done, but I as the reader wanted Pitt to do it, and he did!

I have r
Amanda
The plot of this thriller was good, I was engaged and curious to find out what happened. It was a nice blend of action and mystery. The downfall of this book was the way Cussler depicted woman. I am not sure if this was intentional or not, but the woman in his book were appalling. They are weak, unintelligent, and all around pathetic. The way the men treated the woman in the book was also appalling, there was no respect. Dirk himself is a misogynist but I can write that off as part of his charac ...more
Tim Basuino
I’ve made it my goal to read all of Clive Cussler’s efforts from the beginning – I started with The Mediterranean Caper, followed that with Pacific Vortex and Iceberg comes in third.
At 182 pages, it may very well be his shortest novel, and not surprisingly it doesn’t bog down in too many spots. The point was made in another review that early Dirk Pitt adventures aren’t too unlike the first James Bond movies, where it seems as if the framework for a character is being built, with less focus on th
José Ramón
La novela nos cuenta la historia de Dick Pitt, un aventurero que pertenece a una organización vinculada con los estudios oceanográficos, la Agencia Nacional de Investigaciones Marítima (ANIM). Él como uno de sus directores debe hacerse cargo de las acciones más importantes de la organización. En este caso debe resolver la investigación de un barco que aparece en el interior de un Iceberg. este barco guarda importantes misterios y llevara a toda una serie de acontecimientos inesperados.

Una novela
Trevor Jones
Clive Cussler leads us on a whirl wind adventure on land and underwater from Iceland to Disneyland. His plot twists and turns weaving the expected with the unexpected. With a cocky eye to all things authority, Cussler’s favorite main character, Dirk Pitt, finagles his way into and out of trouble as he solves the puzzle of the ship frozen in an iceberg.

I found it handy to keep a map nearby as I read through Cussler’s Iceberg. The story moves around as Pitt chases leads to various locals. Pitt’s ‘
James Hayward
Really enjoyed reading this. I like the character Dirk Pitt tough cookie and a bit of a womanizer . This book has a very interesting and surprising twist with one of the characters at the end of the book in the epilogue . Got to check see if the next book in the series is available from the library.
John Shumway
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
Jessica
Frozen inside a million-ton mass of ice -- the charred remains of a long-missing luxury yacht, vanished en route to a secret White House rendezvous. The only clues to the ship's priceless -- and missing -- cargo: ornately carved rings and the horribly burned bodies of its crew.

Although an easy read, it was predictable. The plot followed a basic layout that the others have followed. It makes the climax virtually nonexistent. It also lacked Al, one of my favorite characters. He's Pitt's Watson,and
Markus
Dirk Pitt is the Man. Clive Cussler don't care, here are some excerpts:

When Pitt has to explain why he has been acting effeminate in front of the villain (Rondheim):

"I would have had to step out of character. Rondheim has everyreason to think I'm a faggot. I want him to go right on thinking that."

When Pitt's secretary Tidi stumbles, spills coffee on herself on a speeding boat and lets Pitt and Sandecker know about it:

"What in hell was that all about?"
Pitt- "Women rarely offer explanation"
"She's
Shawnee Bowlin
Iceberg was entertaining, mysterious, and interesting. Clive Cussler did a great job with the suspense and the plot twists.
I haven't followed Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels, but this one kept me reading. Dirk was not at all was I expected him to be. The bit he played to fool Oskar was super cute! I wish I had been there to see Oskar's reactions.
Tidi was sweet and endearing. I was surprised by her romantic interests towards the end.
Kirsti was a shocker for me! Thanks, Clive, for throwing me that curv
Daniel
Easily the worst Cussler novel. Homophobic, misogynistic, and just plain awful. Reading this came as a shock after having read so many of his later books. I'd really recommend giving this a pass. It's just not worth suffering through.
William  Knight
This was clearly an old novel by a favorite author. It had some terms and actions we would not use today, including using derogatory terms for gay people and insensitivity to women, including what we would consider sexual harassment.

The NUMA personnel were limited to Admiral Sandecker, Dirk Pitt, and the admiral' s Secretary. I missed Al Giordino. The plot was weaker than any other Cussler book I've read.

It's still worth reading if you want to ensure you've read all of the Dirk Pitt novels, but
Balkron
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Natt Cham
โอว...โอว เดิรก พิตต อีกครังในรอบสามวัน หากไมนับนิยายจีนกำลังภายในและ GoT ทีตองอานเลมตอเลม นับไดนอยครังทีจะหยิบเรืองในชุดเดียวกันมาอานอยางตอเนืองโดยไมพักแทรกเรืองอืนบาง เดิรก พิตต เปนปรากฏการณ

จากเลมกอน แคเปิดเรืองแปบเดียว กเจอตัวราย เดิรก พิตต กลุยอยางเดียวพรอมคูหูผูชวยอยาง อัล จิออดิโน สะบักสบอมไปตามกัน แตกพลิกแผนปราบตัวรายไดอยางรวดเดียว

แตเลมนีไมมีคูหูอยาง อัล จิออดิโน เดิรก พิตต พรอมกับเจานายนายพลแซนแดคเกอร และเลขาสวนตัว (ใชครับ ตามนีจริงๆ) ตองออกผจญเหลารายทามกลางแผนทีวางไวอยางซับซอนเกินคาดเด
Betelgeuse
Oct 19, 2014 Betelgeuse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chi vuole immergersi in un’avventura glaciale.
Recensione pubblicata su Cronache di Betelgeuse

Dirk Pitt deve affrontare una nuova avventura, che questa volta nasconde una serie di inganni e colpi di scena che potrebbero costargli la vita. Senza il suo fidato amico Al Giordino, deve affrontare immersioni nei mari gelati e diverse esplosioni, contando solo sula sua prontezza di riflessi e la sua tenacia. Dirk svela un nuovo lato del suo carattere, dimostrandosi vendicativo verso chi minaccia le persone cui vuole bene. È disposto a soffrire e a
Tracy
I don't know if I have a different version - but the book I had only had 225 pages - anyways, it seemed like the whole story was there.

But as I said - I can tell in these early Clive Cussler books that he was developing his story telling skills and his main characters - both are a bit rough and sometimes the plot twists and the way they figure out the clues are hard to follow - a bit more rough than in the later books - but definately can tell he is finding his place with his trademark way of se
Janine
It's actually quite interesting going back and reading an author's first works and I recommend this exercise to anyone who has a few favourite authors. The evolution and development of the writer's skills and talents are much like the personal growth and development of the main protoganist(s).

This book was written in the days when things like lighting up a cigarette (in a room full of people) and seeing women as sex objects were considered pretty much standard for an action/thriller.

I love Clive
Jim
On a routine iceberg surveillance mission, the crew of a Coast Guard plane spots an iceberg with an unlikely stowaway embedded in it: a yacht. When Dr. Hunnewell, a NUMA employee sent to investigate the iceberg and the yacht, and Dirk Pitt, whose only job is to transport the doctor, set down on the iceberg and gain access to the frozen boat, they find the vessel and its occupants had succumbed to an intense fire that charred them beyond recognition. But these were no ordinary occupants out for a ...more
Janne Järvinen
Aargh! This is horrible... Such a bad book... but why do I like it? This can't be...

The beginning of this book is laughably bad. The depiction of attitudes towards women, gays, and maybe everyone else, too, are very "seventies". Beyond that, everything is vapid, shallow and implausible. The plot, the characters, the dialog, everything.

Luckily it's so bad, it starts to become good again. That's the only reason I kept reading. A two star rant at the most, and an end to my interest in the series, I
Bryan

So, I came into this book with every intention to receive a twist heavy thriller, that would leave me breathless and thinking by the end. After completing this book, there are some very, shall we say, opinionated views presented by Cussler, that makes the recommendation list short and, definitely not sweet.

What I alluded to is that this book is written in the prejudiced seventies mindset. From a prejudiced seventies man, for a prejudiced seventies men mindset. But, honestly, when I have to rea

Eric
Really enjoyed this book and thought that the plot-line was well thought and explored and really looked forward to re-reading it recently as it had been quite some time since I'd done so.

However my anticipation was somewhat spoiled as I noticed details that I'd skipped over previously, essentially how much it is reflective of an older attitude towards the separation of the genders and the expected roles of each.

Specifically the role of the male hero as opposed to the role of the female characte
Christian Orr
As with "Raise the Titanic," "Vixen 03," and Pacific Vortex," I've now read "Iceberg" three times in the past 27 years, and just like with those other vintage Cussler/Pitt novels, this one is every bit as readable, fast-paced, and damn near impossible to put down as the previous reads. And as with those other classic Cussler books, it's far bloodier and more profane and sexually-charged than the more tepid PG-level books that Clive has written since the early 1990s (particularly the ones ghost-w ...more
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover 3 25 Jun 10, 2014 04:44AM
Hitler's frozen sperm? 6 41 Jan 29, 2013 01:11PM
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Aviators (Brotherhood of War, #8)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton, #10)
  • Deep Fathom
  • Cibola
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)

“Take away the clothes of the greatest living man, his father once told him, and you behold a very embarrassed, naked and defenseless animal.” 0 likes
“that, nothing more was seen or heard of the Lax again.” 0 likes