Start by marking “Licensed To Kill: A Field Manual For Mortifying Sin” as Want to Read:
Licensed To Kill: A Field Manual For Mortifying Sin

Licensed To Kill: A Field Manual For Mortifying Sin

The Christian life is not a playground, but a battleground. One of the fiercest foes in this battle dwells within our own hearts: the enemy of indwelling sin. The Scriptures command us to put sin to death. This is what pastors and theologians of another generation called the mortificationof sin. But how do we mortify sin? And what role does the gospel play in this effort t ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Licensed To Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Licensed To Kill

Michael Boling
Apr 18, 2014 Michael Boling rated it it was amazing
Mortify your sin. That is likely a sentence most have not heard recently despite being a persistent point of emphasis by great Puritan authors such as John Owen. Mortifying sin involves putting to death the flesh so that the things of God may replace those earthly desires. Pastor and author Brian Hedges in his helpful and powerful book Licensed to Kill: A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin, provides excellent insight into how the believer should deal with sin in their lives.

Hedges begins his book b
Adam T Calvert
Jul 21, 2011 Adam T Calvert rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
After reading Hedges' book on the Christian life as a whole (Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change), I was very interested in learning about his new book that expands a little bit further into the area of killing sin in your life. This really isn't a topic that is discussed much in Christian literature these days, and it was good to see a contemporary, manageable work on the topic.

In the same approach from his earlier book, this book too is saturated with Scripture an
Josh Skinner
Aug 17, 2013 Josh Skinner rated it it was amazing
Cruciform Press is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. These little books, usually around 110 pages, are packed full of Gospel truth and clear and practical application. The latest book published by Cruciform Press is Licensed to Kill-A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin by Brian Hedges. There have not been many modern books that have kept me riveted as PM rolled into AM but this little book by Hedges definitely did the trick.
This is not an extensive book. At 117 pages and a generous font size, th
Jeanie
Jul 18, 2011 Jeanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cruciform-read
We have a problem and it is sin. To make it more personal, I have a problem and it is sin. Do I know the dangers of sin or do I just say I do. Do I like to follow the rules or do I forsake my sins to know the sweetnes of Jesus' grace, Do I understand grace in light of sin? Do I understand that sin's death is like a crucifixion; slow, gradual, painful and eventually final. Do I know that a crucified life is a life of faith. Do I know the doctrine of sin? Some of these are personal questions that ...more
Jared Totten
Sep 04, 2011 Jared Totten rated it really liked it
Back in 1656, Puritan author John Owen wrote a gospel-saturated attack on human depravity called The Mortification of Sin. Over three centuries later, Brian Hedges has written a book that echoes the heart of John Owen to a modern generation.

Like a surgical strike, Licensed to Kill outlines the powerful barrage available against indwelling sin in the life of the believer. With succinct chapters and "Examine and Apply" questions, this book perfectly fits its subtitle as a field manual for mortifyi
Peter N.
Jan 08, 2013 Peter N. rated it really liked it
Brian Hedges has written a good, practical book on mortifying sin. He strikes a pretty good balance between resting in Christ and yet growing in sanctification. I especially enjoyed the section on replacing sins with graces. Too often I merely try to stop doing things, but do not replace the sins with its opposite virtue. Hedges made me think more carefully about doing right and not just trying to stop sinning.

I also appreciated his emphasis on reading God's Word and prayer. It is easy to belie
Henry
Jul 16, 2014 Henry rated it it was amazing
The Cruciform Press books I have read have all been brief and readable, but still solid and helpful in the Christian life. One reviewer characterized this as a Cliff Notes version of John Owen's great work on mortification of sin. I have read Owen's work, and it needs a Cliff Notes version. This is not to say that Owen should not be read, but rather that this work by Hedges is a good introduction to Owen that also can stand alone for those who find Owen too daunting. We have a problem with sin, ...more
Mark A Powell
Aug 13, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
Sin is not to be played with, but rather rooted out and exterminated. To that end, Hedges has designed a brief introduction to the devious nature of sin, the warfare we must wage against it, and the power God supplies His people to achieve victory. Basing his work largely on John Owen’s Mortification of Sin, Hedges modernizes and segments this study into bite-sized chapters that make this oft-neglected topic all the more approachable. A helpful work.
Marguerite Harrell
Aug 29, 2013 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading this book and a chapter each week, so that I can be praying for the Youth in our church that is reading this book each chapter each week. So far, this is a great book to read and educational too. I have already read The Mortification of Sin by John Owen in the Puritan Paperbacks edition.

We all do need to be praying for our youth in our church family.
Michael Banh
Aug 02, 2013 Michael Banh rated it really liked it
This is a cliff notes version of John Owen's "Mortification of Sin". Although there's really no substitute for the real thing (which I have yet to read in it's entirety) Brian does an adequate job of leading you through the process of mortifying sin. If Owen's work is too thick and dense then this book is a good primer on the subject of mortification.
Jesse
Dec 10, 2012 Jesse rated it really liked it
We are often told to repent, but rarely given instruction how to carry it out with any success. This book will show you the biblical basis and means for our continual repentance as Christians.
Roxanne
Jul 06, 2013 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Challenging and encouraging. Don't let the "thinness" of the book make you think there is not much content here. It's pretty "thick" in the depth of the content.
Ken
Jun 29, 2014 Ken rated it really liked it
Great little book on mortification of sin
Kara
Nov 11, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cruciform-press
Another excellent little title from Cruciform. Very good!
Nathan Moore
Oct 30, 2016 Nathan Moore rated it it was amazing
Clear. Practical. Concise. Great entry point into the subject or into Owen.
Bob
Jan 21, 2013 Bob rated it liked it
The point of this book is to point us to spiritual transformation rather than moral improvement. Moral uprightness, which is a good thing, is not what should be addressed in a believer's life. As a believer I can put on a good moral exterior and still have a filthy heart. Rather, we should be addressing the corruption that sin has caused and seek to root it out in its basest form. If we kill sin at the root it is destroyed. If we try to prune the wild branches by adhering to moral improvement on ...more
Bob Priest
Jul 18, 2015 Bob Priest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart Surgery

Good stuff here. As Hedges points out if we saw our sin as God does we would be as repulsed as God is and work harder at killing it. Yet this is not a book about behavior modification and try harder stuff. This is a book about surgery, about cutting out the source and seeing lasting change. To Hedge's credit he reminds us this is difficult but well worth it and possible. Hedges encourages is that God has provided the instruments necessary for this surgery. Grace, gospel, the Holy Sp
Joseph Burt
Jan 26, 2016 Joseph Burt rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about the mortification (killing) of sin. If I were to use the number of characters I am permitted for this review I would almost be equal to half the book itself. It is a simple yet strongly impacting book. If you struggle with sin you will find a biblical answer to your plight as well as very good direction for your daily walk and how to respond to Christ in light of your sin.
Joel Rockey
Feb 27, 2016 Joel Rockey rated it really liked it
Very practical and gospel-centered. I read this book in preparation for a sermon series. Great content. I felt like this was a more easily accessible "21st Century version" of John Owen’s Mortification of Sin. Recommended.
Josh
Jan 21, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing
Very practical and Gospel-saturated. Like that it's about mortifying sin generally, by only focused on one or two things specifically. A book that winsomely expressed my stance exactly on mortification (at least up to this point).
David
Very practical

I will probably come back and read this book again for the application value. I especially liked the last chapter with the encouragement and sympathy he expresses.
Brandon Bellinghausen
Helpful and simple.
Conrad Etzel
Conrad Etzel rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Amy Etzel
Amy Etzel rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Brian Pennington
Brian Pennington rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Brad McNally
Brad McNally rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Jason Garwood
Jason Garwood rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Emily Ashworth
Emily Ashworth rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Brian G. Hedges is the author of Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change (Shepherd Press, 2010), Licensed to Kill: A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin (Cruciform Press, 2011), and Active Spirituality: Grace and Effort in the Christian Life (Shepherd Press, 2014). Brian serves as the lead pastor for Fulkerson Park Baptist Church in Niles, Michigan and has been married to Hol ...more
More about Brian G. Hedges...