Licensed To Kill: A Field Manual For Mortifying Sin

Licensed To Kill: A Field Manual For Mortifying Sin

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Christian life is not a playground, but a battleground. One of the fiercest foes in this battle dwells within our own hearts: the enemy of indwelling sin. The Scriptures command us to put sin to death. This is what pastors and theologians of another generation called the mortificationof sin. But how do we mortify sin? And what role does the gospel play in this effort t...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Licensed To Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Licensed To Kill

Michael Boling
Mortify your sin. That is likely a sentence most have not heard recently despite being a persistent point of emphasis by great Puritan authors such as John Owen. Mortifying sin involves putting to death the flesh so that the things of God may replace those earthly desires. Pastor and author Brian Hedges in his helpful and powerful book Licensed to Kill: A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin, provides excellent insight into how the believer should deal with sin in their lives.

Hedges begins his book b...more
Jared Totten
Back in 1656, Puritan author John Owen wrote a gospel-saturated attack on human depravity called The Mortification of Sin. Over three centuries later, Brian Hedges has written a book that echoes the heart of John Owen to a modern generation.

Like a surgical strike, Licensed to Kill outlines the powerful barrage available against indwelling sin in the life of the believer. With succinct chapters and "Examine and Apply" questions, this book perfectly fits its subtitle as a field manual for mortifyi...more
Peter N.
Brian Hedges has written a good, practical book on mortifying sin. He strikes a pretty good balance between resting in Christ and yet growing in sanctification. I especially enjoyed the section on replacing sins with graces. Too often I merely try to stop doing things, but do not replace the sins with its opposite virtue. Hedges made me think more carefully about doing right and not just trying to stop sinning.

I also appreciated his emphasis on reading God's Word and prayer. It is easy to belie...more
Adam T Calvert
After reading Hedges' book on the Christian life as a whole (Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change), I was very interested in learning about his new book that expands a little bit further into the area of killing sin in your life. This really isn't a topic that is discussed much in Christian literature these days, and it was good to see a contemporary, manageable work on the topic.

In the same approach from his earlier book, this book too is saturated with Scripture an...more
Jeanie
We have a problem and it is sin. To make it more personal, I have a problem and it is sin. Do I know the dangers of sin or do I just say I do. Do I like to follow the rules or do I forsake my sins to know the sweetnes of Jesus' grace, Do I understand grace in light of sin? Do I understand that sin's death is like a crucifixion; slow, gradual, painful and eventually final. Do I know that a crucified life is a life of faith. Do I know the doctrine of sin? Some of these are personal questions that...more
Josh Skinner
Cruciform Press is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. These little books, usually around 110 pages, are packed full of Gospel truth and clear and practical application. The latest book published by Cruciform Press is Licensed to Kill-A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin by Brian Hedges. There have not been many modern books that have kept me riveted as PM rolled into AM but this little book by Hedges definitely did the trick.
This is not an extensive book. At 117 pages and a generous font size, th...more
Mark A Powell
Sin is not to be played with, but rather rooted out and exterminated. To that end, Hedges has designed a brief introduction to the devious nature of sin, the warfare we must wage against it, and the power God supplies His people to achieve victory. Basing his work largely on John Owen’s Mortification of Sin, Hedges modernizes and segments this study into bite-sized chapters that make this oft-neglected topic all the more approachable. A helpful work.
Ken
Great little book on mortification of sin
Marguerite Harrell
I am currently reading this book and a chapter each week, so that I can be praying for the Youth in our church that is reading this book each chapter each week. So far, this is a great book to read and educational too. I have already read The Mortification of Sin by John Owen in the Puritan Paperbacks edition.

We all do need to be praying for our youth in our church family.
Michael Banh
This is a cliff notes version of John Owen's "Mortification of Sin". Although there's really no substitute for the real thing (which I have yet to read in it's entirety) Brian does an adequate job of leading you through the process of mortifying sin. If Owen's work is too thick and dense then this book is a good primer on the subject of mortification.
Jesse
We are often told to repent, but rarely given instruction how to carry it out with any success. This book will show you the biblical basis and means for our continual repentance as Christians.
Roxanne
Challenging and encouraging. Don't let the "thinness" of the book make you think there is not much content here. It's pretty "thick" in the depth of the content.
Henry
The Cruciform Press books I have read have all been brief and readable, but still solid and helpful in the Christian life. One reviewer characterized this as a Cliff Notes version of John Owen's great work on mortification of sin. I have read Owen's work, and it needs a Cliff Notes version. This is not to say that Owen should not be read, but rather that this work by Hedges is a good introduction to Owen that also can stand alone for those who find Owen too daunting. We have a problem with sin,...more
Kara
Another excellent little title from Cruciform. Very good!
Bob
The point of this book is to point us to spiritual transformation rather than moral improvement. Moral uprightness, which is a good thing, is not what should be addressed in a believer's life. As a believer I can put on a good moral exterior and still have a filthy heart. Rather, we should be addressing the corruption that sin has caused and seek to root it out in its basest form. If we kill sin at the root it is destroyed. If we try to prune the wild branches by adhering to moral improvement on...more
John Taylor
John Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Ross Estep
Ross Estep marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Joel Sommer
Joel Sommer marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kevin Cozzi
Kevin Cozzi marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Elaine
Elaine is currently reading it
May 28, 2014
Wez
Wez added it
May 20, 2014
Jonathan Franzone
Jonathan Franzone marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jonathan Tomes
Jonathan Tomes marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Matt Massie
Matt Massie is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2014
Todd  Capen
Todd Capen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
First Baptist  Mannford
First Baptist Mannford is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Brian G. Hedges is the author of Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change (Shepherd Press, 2010), Licensed to Kill: A Field Manual for Mortifying Sin (Cruciform Press, 2011), and Active Spirituality: Grace and Effort in the Christian Life (Shepherd Press, 2014). Brian serves as the lead pastor for Fulkerson Park Baptist Church in Niles, Michigan and has been married to Hol...more
More about Brian G. Hedges...
Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change Active Spirituality: Grace and Effort in the Christian Life