Start by marking “The Reason is You” as Want to Read:
The Reason is You

The Reason is You

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Dani Shane just wants her daughter to have what she never did—a normal life.But “normal” leaves the equation when sixteen year old Riley is found talking to Dani’s only friend, Alex--who’s been dead for forty years.
In the small river town of Bethany, Dani never fit in.Being different pushed her to the fringes of society, and even leaving town for two decades didn’t stop th
Published April 3rd 2012 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about The Reason is You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reason is You

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Not a lot of books make me cry. They almost do but not quite real tears. This one did it twice. I set it down crying, but it ended beautifully. It's about a ghost, a woman and her daughter, a very nice real life man, some nice and some not so nice side characters, and about love. There is a bit of the reincarnation theme in some of it and the idea that dead people don't all cross over right away. All of that is tied up in love too.

I should explain why I read this book in the first place. I was a
Melissa Cutler
What a wonderful, magical book. I loved every minute of it and can't wait for Lovelace's next book!
Michelle [Helen Geek]

Ending = 3 Stars
Worth the Chili = 2 Stars -- [$5.99 on Amazon]
Smexy [HEAT] Rating = Mild
334 pages

This was the author I vacationed with in New England. I really enjoyed this one, but felt the concept was better than the actual execution. She fails to pull deep emotion out in me and I'm easy. I like her stories, but
Roni Loren
Full disclosure: I know this author.
God's honest truth: This book was fantastic. Like, didn't have time to read but finished it in two days because I couldn't stop fantastic. :) The charm of the small town life, the hilarious voice of the heroine, the richly drawn secondary characters, the depth of all the relationships--plus a hot hero AND a hot ghost--seriously, what more could you want? I felt drawn into the world and the story and am almost sad I read it so fast because it means I have to le
Rachel
What a refreshing story. This book does not fit neatly into any mold of any genre, but stands firmly on it's own. The author's voice is wonderful, the realistic dialog was fun, and the heart-wrenching scenes were incredible. I love it when a book can make me cry, but when a book makes me want to weep for the character, WOW! I'm so glad I own this book. :) Can't wait to lend it out and tell others about this debut author.
R.C. Matthews
This was a fascinating story that really made me think long and hard after reading it. I tend to prefer upbeat stories that make me laugh so I was a little worried about reading this because the first chapter that was free on-line included the heroine celebrating a serious "pity party" about how awful her circumstances were. But I read fantastic reviews and I was intrigued by the blurb. I'm so glad I gave it a try. The story starts out slow (which is why I gave it a 4 star rating instead of 5 st ...more
Kitty
This book was beautiful.. I loved the way it captured my heart, making me aww.. but It was definetely sexy and hot enough to make you sweat. ;-)
Elizabeth Smith
Wow! I have never read a book like it! I had to finish right away!!!!
Maria
Single mom Dani returns to her hometown of Bethany, Texas after losing her corporate job in Dallas, a fact her sixteen year old daughter Riley isn't too thrilled with. Dani moves in with her father and takes a job at the local bait store. If that doesn't sound dismal enough, Dani's past comes back to haunt her. Literally. Dani sees ghosts. She talks to them too. And they talk back.

Growing up, Dani was an outsider. Now, at 40, she's still an outsider. Her best friend, Alex, is a ghost who's been
Paula  Phillips
Wow , this book was amazing. I have to admit I was a little wary as whether I would actually enjoy it or not as I picked it up because , shall I admit ...... I loved the cover. It wasn't until I read the first chapter and was introduced to them that I started to enjoy the story. The Reason is You follows the life of single mother Dani and her teenage daughter Riley, Dani has lost her job and now with nowhere else to go lugs Riley and herself back to her hometown of Bethany. Dani left Bethany as ...more
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
You can find this entire review and an interview with the author at Forever Book Lover

I loved the blurb, I think that is what caught my interest, but it was the writer's style and storytelling that kept my attention all the way through until the last page. And even then, I said I wanted more!! At first I didn't understand the cover, but after reading the book, it is just perfect!! I am not going to give it away, you must read the book!!

It started out a bit slow, but I now understand that the au
Lindsey
This book is seriously amazing. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it as I didn't expect it to be like books I normally read. It was much closer to what I'm used to reading than I thought. Description abounds in this book, and I loved every word of it. There were several laugh-out-loud funny parts and several crying-like-a-baby parts. It was complete perfection. Dani and Riley are a HILARIOUS duo. They both have great senses of humor that come across vividly in the story.

I read a revi
Diana Leigh
I have to start by saying that Sharla Lovelace is going on my auto-buy list. Wow! I loved this book. THE REASON IS YOU is an impressive debut novel about love and loss, family bonds and family secrets, redemption and starting over. Oh, yeah, and also ghosts!

The last place Dani Shane wanted to end up was back in her hometown of Bethany. But that’s exactly what happened when she lost her job at a Dallas design firm. She and her teenage daughter, Riley, had little choice but to move to the sleepy r
Lauren Rogers-Perrault
I am still reeling from this book. The first novel I've read in a long time that had me taking an emergency 2 hour lunch at work because I HAD to keep reading!!

I won't write a plot review since others have done that better than I could, but I will say it was so unique. Great characters and the story just pulled me in.

The only question I have (SPOILED ALERT--STOP READING if you want) is that I'm still confused as to HOW Sarah is connected to Dani. I don't get it at all. Sarah died first...and sh
Barbara White
This is the perfect beach read. A+ escapism from the stress of everyday life! I loved the characters, especially the sassy teenage daughter. Dani, the heroine, made me smile constantly. Even though she's an outcast in her home town, she never sees herself as a victim. I fell for her from the first line: "Starting over sucks, but at forty it sucks the life out of you." Add two gorgeous guys and a heartbreaking twist, and it's hard to put this novel down!
Leigh W.
Sweet and haunting, this author's voice flows effortless from the page straight to the heart. This is a story of redemption, of accepting the past for what it is and having the courage to move forward. I don't usually cry, and this one got more than a couple of tears.

Poppy
First off, I want to stress that Ms. Lovelace's writing is flawless. However, whereas I loved and felt connected to the characters of Don't Let Go, I just couldn't quite get into The Reason is You. The story doesn't allow itself to fit into a single genre, which made it confusing for me. It's not chick lit, it's not paranormal, it's not a contemporary romance, it's not fantasy and it's not a mystery either. There are too many characters (and most of them I didn't even like) and I don't get to kn ...more
Hmr28
This book was excellent. It reminded me in some ways of Pamela Morsi's contemporaries. Funny, touching and sweet. I'll read everything I can find by this author now, she's a keeper!
Jessica
Fans of Sarah Addison Allen have finally found a new author to read.
Lisa
I have never read this author before. She was giving away copies of this book for honest reviews and the blurb sounded interesting to me so i signed up to get one. It came in the mail a couple days ago and I immediately started reading. I only made it to page 86 the first night. Got a late start so that's pretty good for me in a couple hours of reading time. I was drawn in pretty quickly. I don't even know where to start. This was a such a different book for me. Book starts out with Dani moving ...more
Judy  at Musings and Ramblings
This book is a stand alone, not part of any series (that I know of). I will be honest and say that I signed up for this book tour and review because after reading the first chapter, I was excited and hooked. Add in the paranormal romance genre and I was soooo there. Now after reading the book, I feel exhausted, simply wasted emotionally. This book ran the gamut of emotions and took me on a roller coaster of highs and lows, moving from one extreme to another.

This is the story of 40 year old Danie
Dorine
Recommended Read! This review is also posted on my blog, the TBR MOUNTAIN RANGE. Come for a visit :)

Having the ability to write this good should be illegal, or revered somehow. Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen next in THE REASON IS YOU, author Sharla Lovelace made sure I knew that she was the one in control of my emotions!

I received THE REASON IS YOU for free through Goodreads First Reads. Had I known this book would be this good, I would have read it a long time ago. I shoul
Jamie
Dani Shane has been laid off from her job in Dallas. With no other options left to her, she moves with her sixteen year old daughter, Riley, back to her father’s house in the small town of Bethany. Dani is less than thrilled about the move, especially when her oldest friend suddenly appears at her car while she’s unpacking.

Alex looks exactly the same, with his dashing good looks and black clothes, and Dani is shocked to see him. Particularly when (view spoiler)
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
www.readyourwrites.blogspot.com

The Reason Is You is the first book I've read by Sharla Lovelace. I have to admit before I read the book, I heard good things about it. But hearing those good things didn’t even come close to the book itself.

The Reason Is You, is touching, emotional, romantic and a little intense. While you aren't going to need a box of tissue nearby while reading this story, you will need to have a few Kleenex around.

I won't say I was imm
Christi Snow
My review:

I'll admit, I was sold on this book simply from the story blurb...thank goodness, it lived up to my expectations. This book was so good and actually even exceeded what I'd hoped for it. Honestly, it was much funnier than I expected it to be.

Dani is 40 years old and moving back home, the place where she grew up and hated. She hated it because she was tormented the entire time she lived there. Because she saw dead people, she was always considered to be a freak. Now she's returning there
Brianna Kilcrease
First Line: "Starting over sucks, but at forty it sucks the life out of you. This
thought squeezed my brain on the six- hour drive to Bethany
from Dallas. I second- guessed my decision for the ninety- ninth
time, eyeing every exit ramp as a potential escape hatch."

Where to start.....

Well I will say one thing. This book was heartbreaking for me. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy because I cried at multiple times throughout the novel and he kept wondering if it might be that time of the month. He couldn'
Kathy
This book is a goodreads give away book for me. It is a well written book. From the very start, I was hooked. Dani and her daughter Riley return to Bethany, to Dani's father's house, move in with him because, being let go from her job, Dani and Riley have no other choice, if they are to survive. Dani really wants Riley to have a better life than she did, but things don't work out quite that way. Once home, Dni begins spedning time with Alex, her friend from years before. There is only one proble ...more
Juli Morgan
I read the first chapter of THE REASON IS YOU on Sharla's website and rushed right over to buy the book. I was not disappointed! I was rooting for Dani Shane from the first line to the bittersweet end. The writing is fresh, funny and perfectly captures everything from Dani's relationship with her teenage daughter to the small town snarkiness of people who can't get past their high school glory days. The two heroes (oh, yes! There are two!) are both swoon-worthy and I found myself as torn between ...more
Kate
THE REASON IS YOU, by Sharla Lovelace, is a lovely romance book with a small paranormal twist. Dani is a single mother who is forced to move back to her childhood home with her sixteen year old daughter after being laid off from her job. She falls back into the small-town gossip train with snippy straw dogs, and her past in speaking with ghosts comes back to literally haunt her (but in this case it's her hunky best friend Alex).

I absolutely adored this book. The writing was well done and the sto
Aurora
When life takes an unwelcome turn Dani Shane finds herself returning to her hometown with her daughter, Riley. Unfortunately for them Dani's childhood wasn't the best due to her unusual ability to see and talk to the dead, and when she finds her daughter talking to her dead (and sexy) best friend she has new worries to contend with. As if that wasn't enough, there's also Dani's new boss...

This is a well constructed story that will keep you reading until the very last page! The plot is excellent
  • Familiar Ties
  • Grey Winter (The Tournament, #2)
  • Ghosts of Mayflower
  • Always and Forever
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island, #1)
  • Romance Book Club
  • The Bonded
  • The Beach at Galle Road: Stories
  • Blood Secret (Blood, #5)
  • Knock Knock
  • Homecoming (Sweetland, #1)
  • Dodo Destiny: An American Eye on Mauritius
  • Snoop: A Small Town Gossip Mystery
  • The Girl in the Trees
  • Writ of Mandamus
  • Senile in Sarasota (Sun Coast mysteries #3)
  • Strangers on the Beach
  • The Last Execution
5020278
Sharla Lovelace is the Bestselling and Award Winning Author of three novels and a novella, the most recent being DON'T LET GO, with a forthcoming novel, STAY WITH ME, due in Summer 2014. Being a Texas girl through and through, she's proud to say she lives in Southeast Texas with her husband, a golf cart, a crazy mutt, and an aviary full of cockatiels.

Sharla is available by Skype for book club meet
More about Sharla Lovelace...
Don't Let Go Stay With Me Just One Day Before and Ever Since