Start by marking “Jump and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Jump and Other Stories

Jump and Other Stories

Fifteen thematically and geographically wide-ranging stories from the Nobel Prize Winner, with settings ranging from suburban London to Mozambique.
Published May 15th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published July 5th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jump and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump and Other Stories

Dolors
Nov 02, 2014 Dolors rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Do you use words as weapons?
Shelves: read-in-2015
Gordimer’s probing into the complexities of the human psyche and her mastery of combining the allegoric device with the realistic narrative is undisputable. The themes that her stories treat loom larger than the multifarious characters that project the writer’s political disquisitions as means to convey the way collective conscience is forced to coexist, to ignore or to get revenge on the history of crippled a country, always from a perspective that focuses on the futility of the character’s tho ...more
Sidharth Vardhan
An extra half star since in this collection I rediscovred 'The Ultimate Safari' - a story I read in my school text book and that was sort of favorite, but back than I didn't know anything about author.

If I was to rate all stories individually, they will come more 4 stars, a few are brilliant five star stuff but as a collection, they are week and so are best read every once in a while. Almost all are about racism and African political movement. Often the theme is interaction or relationship betwe
Mehjabeen Choity
Jul 09, 2016 Mehjabeen Choity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ঈদের ছুটিতে নানুবাসায় বেড়াতে গিয়ে যখন মুখের উপর পিডিএফ ধরে রাখতে পারছিলাম না, তখনই বইয়ের তাকে এই বইটা পেয়ে গেলাম। নদিন গরডিমারের নাম আগে শুনিনি, আফরিকান যুদধ নিয়ে লেখেন দেখে পড়তে আগরহী হলাম।
লেখক হতাশ করেননি।
পরথম গলপ "ঝাঁপ"- এ যুদধের নৃশংস বরণনার সাথে পরথম পরিচয় ঘটে, এর পরের গলপগুলোতে যুদধের বা দাঙার সরাসরি বরণনা না থাকলে ও আছে কৃষণাঙগদের দু:খ দুরদশা পাশ কাটিয়ে বাঁচতে চাওয়া শবেতাঙগদের করুণ পরিণতির গলপ, শরনারথী শিশুর আগামীর সবপনের গলপ।
এই বইটা পড়তে গিয়ে একটা জিনিস বুঝতে পারলাম, যুদধের সবরূপ সব দেশে
Deea
Coetzee, Naipaul, Lessing and even Maugham wrote in their books about apartheid. They don't focus though only on that (maybe only Naipaul does, but I have only read one book by him), but they also insist on other themes. Gordimer writes about this theme in this book and she does it really well. Composed of short stories, it has as main theme the apartheid: the policy of segregation of non-white population in Africa. This is actually the main reason why I kept putting it off every time I would st ...more
Shane
Jun 23, 2016 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this collection, Nadine Gordimer has her sights set squarely on South Africa, her home and her goldmine for stories, set in the last days of Apartheid and in the first days of the new regime when positions are confused, politics nascent and insurrectionary, and when human inequality continues unabated.

These are internal stories, often taking place in the minds of the narrators, many of whom do not have names, for names are not needed, their voices are more important, and Gordimer captures the
R.K. Cowles
3 1/2 stars
Brit
When it comes to African politics, race relations, and postmodern anxieties, Nadine Gordimer knows that profundity is not always to be found - it does not always exist. These issues are a mess, and Gordimer does not attempt to clean them up; her fiction is beholden to a meticulous sense of description that makes few judgments beyond a basic humanistic loyalty. Above all else, her honesty carries her fiction forth.

It's not an easy collection to read or understand. Some of the stories are purpose
Anushka
Sep 23, 2012 Anushka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read the book for the IB diploma English Literature, I kinda found this nice. I mean this is definitely not the type of book I'd have read by myself.

Nadine Gordimer is an amazingly good author. I mean to put in so much meaning in between the lines is remarkably awesome! Hats off for that. Still, I think I'm not really ready to face up the reality of the true world - I'm better off in my paranormal and YA world, I guess. But here and there, such books hit you. Hard. I'm glad I read it.
Bess
Jan 11, 2009 Bess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite author, influential to the development of my thinking about international affairs and social justice when I was in high school and college, yet I can't remember the names of the books I read!

"Some are born to sweet delight" was the first story I ever read by Gordimer, and it shook me to my core. 11th grade English, end of the day, classroom lights out and reading quietly with sunshine and bees floating in the open window on a summer breeze ... and I was stunned, horrified with the sto
Bruce
Oct 25, 2011 Bruce rated it really liked it
Danny Young
Aug 10, 2015 Danny Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
My AP Lit teacher in high school had us read one these stories ten years ago--Once Upon a Time, which certainly is not a children's story and which details the sad consequences of apartheid and suburbanism from the detached-tone of a fairy-tale-narrator. The story is haunting, and I never forgot it. So, when I saw that it was included in this collection of Gordimer short stories, I bought the book immediately.

These stories are not necessarily easy to read. Some of them required to be read twice
Susan
May 20, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories are stronger together, as a related collection, than as individual tales. Gordimer's characters are rarely as fully realized as I would like but I think that's because of her bold agenda to write about people from all walks of life, living under apartheid. Inevitably she would have known the lives of some better than others. Yet even when writing about her own father ("My Father Leaves Home") her style is to provide a sketch and leave most of his character up to the reader's imagin ...more
Robleywelliver
Jun 27, 2008 Robleywelliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gordimer provides a wonderful look into South African Apartheid. Her criticism of the Apartheid era is powerfully delivered, not through any sort of standard, trite "racism is bad and we are all equal" message, but instead she works to help readers fully understand the complex race relations of South Africa.
You may read any one of these stories and question Gordimer's values on the surface. Only through a deeper exploration of the themes and parts of the narrative does it become clear that you
Jan 18, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jump is a collection of stories by Nadine Gordimer, a Nobel winning writer from South Africa. Gordimer draws on her experience as a South African to cut straight to the bone, with stories of apartheid and violence. This is a really cohesive collection and works well when examined as a whole - I enjoyed the collection more and more as I read further, I think these stories are best read together. I also felt like I understood Gordimer's message and vision better the more I read. Gordimer is an exc ...more
Sandra
Jul 24, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
San Juan Capistrano apartment complex book club August '12 selection. Not enthusiastic, especially with so many GOOD books to digest and savor. We'll see... That Gordiner's collection of fiction is said to 'illuminate consequences of political repression, is a definite 'get me outta here,' for this potential (not so potential) read! Not a fan of train wrecks and unresolved life puzzles. I take charge, and have no sympathy for anyone who does not...their problem, not mine. I've resolved mine, and ...more
Tatum
Oct 11, 2009 Tatum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's kind of hard for me to follow but once I get the end of the story, everything falls into place magically. All of the stories are insightful and revolve around Southern Africa (the good, the bad and the ugly) and she doesn't choose any particular viewpoint. She writes from the POV of a young Mozambican girl, a higher-up in the apartheid army, or a middle class white family of a pregnant teenager. Overall, its given me a little bit of insight on a broader spectrum of Southern Africans (black ...more
Melissa
Dec 06, 2007 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim. I knew that Nadine Gordimer is a nobel prize winning author, and I was curious as to why - it's obvious. Her stories are timeless, and though they center around her native South Africa during its apartheid years, there is still themes that are current and her treatment and presentation of them really make you think. Fear, terrorism, and racism are among the heavy issues that she captures with a range from fairy tale style telling to first person narration in full co ...more
Sean de la Rosa
Apr 15, 2011 Sean de la Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadine Gordimer was the first South African to receive the Nobel Laureate for Literature in 1991 (JM Coetzee was the other in 2003). I must admit that I tried to read her work a few years ago, but it just didn't resonate with me - I guess it wasn't time yet. Each of the short stories have differing styles - many reminded me of Virgina Woolf's 'To The Lighthouse". Its a quick read and very enjoyable.

Gordimer's 2 other famous pieces are the "The Pickup" and "The Conservationist" - they will defin
PDXReader
Mar 07, 2014 PDXReader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought these short stories were very well written. Many were very dark, describing terrible acts and painful reactions, and they'll stay with me for a very long time. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the short format -- I prefer to get more deeply involved for a longer stretch of reading time -- but I still thought these were worth the time & effort. I'm eager to read one of Gordimer's novels.
Usha Hegde
Jul 25, 2013 Usha Hegde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories take us to harsh realities of African continent, the poverty, the anarchy, the racism etc. Like the children who are being taken from bandit ridden home town to a refugee camp by old grand parents by walk, like the teenage kids who are unable to attend school because they were dismissed for attending a rally, like the lady who herself goes underground to just get a visit to her brother and mother who are in an unknown jail.
A great book.
Jeff Hobbs
Read so far:

Jump --
Once upon a time --
The ultimate safari --
A find --
My father leaves home --
Some are born to sweet delight --
Comrades --
Teraloyna --
The moment before the gun went off --
Home --
Keeping fit --
Amnesty --
Beth
Jan 05, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did it take me so long to read the Nobel Prize winning Nadine Gordimer!?! These stories are highly crafted gems that deal with social and economic conflicts in South Africa. Painful and surprising, these stories anticipate 21st-century violence between cultures and religions, and they investigate the impact of difficult politics on individual lives.
Heather
Dec 04, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
South African writer who makes you stop and think about the role we all play in the politics and life that goes on around us. We may think that ignoring problems makes us not a part of them, but her stories show otherwise.
GONZA
Mar 22, 2014 GONZA rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Questi racconti della Gordimer proprio non mi sono piaciuti, sia per la crudezza e il dolore di alcune storie, dubito che mi dimenticherò facilmente la storia di Rad, sia per lo stile della scrittrice, che sarà anche un Nobel per la letteratura, ma insomma...
Jules Vilmur
I've picked up a few short story collections in the last couple of months, thinking that my current short attention span would thank me, but this is the first of those collections to really engage me. Gordimer's stories were brutal and beautiful one after another. Really lovely, meaty stuff.
Destroydecay
I remember loving select stories that I had to read for high school English. However, this read, it appears that the select stories were a minority of the book. I love the stories I love and hate the stories I hate.
Steph
Aug 09, 2011 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
N.G. fearlessly avoids politically correct writing. In "Sweet Delight" she creates a muslim terrorist and in "Once Upon a Time," she writes a grim fairy tale that cautions against isolation.

All of the stories provoke reaction.
Lindsay
Jun 21, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gordimer's writing is so blunt and dispassion, and yet perceptive of human behavior, that it is often hard to read. She has an unflinching approach to humanity which I love, and yet want to pull away from.
Turtlegirl00
Aug 24, 2010 Turtlegirl00 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
These stories are amazing! They are not neatly wrapped up/happy ending stories, but they are gripping and telling of what occurs in Africa... I am not normally a fan of short stories, but I could not put this book down.
Iuliana
Mar 07, 2011 Iuliana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love reading short stories but it is very hard to find good short stories. I had heard good things about this author but i didn't enjoy the book. Two or three of the stories were quite good, but i found most of them went nowhere and were pointless.
  • Road-side Dog
  • A Chain of Voices
  • Assorted Fire Events
  • Gods and Soldiers: The Penguin Anthology of Contemporary African Writing
  • War Fever
Nadine Gordimer was a South African writer, political activist and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature. She was recognized as a woman "who through her magnificent epic writing has – in the words of Alfred Nobel – been of very great benefit to humanity".

Gordimer's writing dealt with moral and racial issues, particularly apartheid in South Africa. Under that regime, works such as Burger'
More about Nadine Gordimer...