Start by marking “Jump and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Jump and Other Stories

Jump and Other Stories

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Fifteen thematically and geographically wide-ranging stories from the Nobel Prize Winner, with settings ranging from suburban London to Mozambique.
Published May 15th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published July 5th 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Jump and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump and Other Stories

Deea
Coetzee, Naipaul, Lessing and even Maugham wrote in their books about apartheid. They don't focus though only on that (maybe only Naipaul does, but I have only read one book by him), but they also insist on other themes. Gordimer writes about this theme in this book and she does it really well. Composed of short stories, it has as main theme the apartheid: the policy of segregation of non-white population in Africa. This is actually the main reason why I kept putting it off every time I would st ...more
Anushka
Having read the book for the IB diploma English Literature, I kinda found this nice. I mean this is definitely not the type of book I'd have read by myself.

Nadine Gordimer is an amazingly good author. I mean to put in so much meaning in between the lines is remarkably awesome! Hats off for that. Still, I think I'm not really ready to face up the reality of the true world - I'm better off in my paranormal and YA world, I guess. But here and there, such books hit you. Hard. I'm glad I read it.
Bess
A favorite author, influential to the development of my thinking about international affairs and social justice when I was in high school and college, yet I can't remember the names of the books I read!

"Some are born to sweet delight" was the first story I ever read by Gordimer, and it shook me to my core. 11th grade English, end of the day, classroom lights out and reading quietly with sunshine and bees floating in the open window on a summer breeze ... and I was stunned, horrified with the sto
Bruce
Brit
When it comes to African politics, race relations, and postmodern anxieties, Nadine Gordimer knows that profundity is not always to be found - it does not always exist. These issues are a mess, and Gordimer does not attempt to clean them up; her fiction is beholden to a meticulous sense of description that makes few judgments beyond a basic humanistic loyalty. Above all else, her honesty carries her fiction forth.

It's not an easy collection to read or understand. Some of the stories are purpose
Miss GP
I thought these short stories were very well written. Many were very dark, describing terrible acts and painful reactions, and they'll stay with me for a very long time. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the short format -- I prefer to get more deeply involved for a longer stretch of reading time -- but I still thought these were worth the time & effort. I'm eager to read one of Gordimer's novels.
GONZA
Questi racconti della Gordimer proprio non mi sono piaciuti, sia per la crudezza e il dolore di alcune storie, dubito che mi dimenticherò facilmente la storia di Rad, sia per lo stile della scrittrice, che sarà anche un Nobel per la letteratura, ma insomma...
Mike/
I love Gordimer's short stories.

First exposed to her in high school, she moves me in ways I can't explain.

For me, these stories resonate in a multitude of ways.
Alka
read it as a tribute to the great author...this one is a collection of short stories with a little element of surprise .
Jump is a collection of stories by Nadine Gordimer, a Nobel winning writer from South Africa. Gordimer draws on her experience as a South African to cut straight to the bone, with stories of apartheid and violence. This is a really cohesive collection and works well when examined as a whole - I enjoyed the collection more and more as I read further, I think these stories are best read together. I also felt like I understood Gordimer's message and vision better the more I read. Gordimer is an exc ...more
Robleywelliver
Gordimer provides a wonderful look into South African Apartheid. Her criticism of the Apartheid era is powerfully delivered, not through any sort of standard, trite "racism is bad and we are all equal" message, but instead she works to help readers fully understand the complex race relations of South Africa.
You may read any one of these stories and question Gordimer's values on the surface. Only through a deeper exploration of the themes and parts of the narrative does it become clear that you
Robert Seaman
Such a beautiful and penetrating writer. She woos the spirit and startles the soul!
Sandra
San Juan Capistrano apartment complex book club August '12 selection. Not enthusiastic, especially with so many GOOD books to digest and savor. We'll see... That Gordiner's collection of fiction is said to 'illuminate consequences of political repression, is a definite 'get me outta here,' for this potential (not so potential) read! Not a fan of train wrecks and unresolved life puzzles. I take charge, and have no sympathy for anyone who does not...their problem, not mine. I've resolved mine, and ...more
Sean de la Rosa
Nadine Gordimer was the first South African to receive the Nobel Laureate for Literature in 1991 (JM Coetzee was the other in 2003). I must admit that I tried to read her work a few years ago, but it just didn't resonate with me - I guess it wasn't time yet. Each of the short stories have differing styles - many reminded me of Virgina Woolf's 'To The Lighthouse". Its a quick read and very enjoyable.

Gordimer's 2 other famous pieces are the "The Pickup" and "The Conservationist" - they will defin
Tatum
She's kind of hard for me to follow but once I get the end of the story, everything falls into place magically. All of the stories are insightful and revolve around Southern Africa (the good, the bad and the ugly) and she doesn't choose any particular viewpoint. She writes from the POV of a young Mozambican girl, a higher-up in the apartheid army, or a middle class white family of a pregnant teenager. Overall, its given me a little bit of insight on a broader spectrum of Southern Africans (black ...more
Melissa
I bought this book on a whim. I knew that Nadine Gordimer is a nobel prize winning author, and I was curious as to why - it's obvious. Her stories are timeless, and though they center around her native South Africa during its apartheid years, there is still themes that are current and her treatment and presentation of them really make you think. Fear, terrorism, and racism are among the heavy issues that she captures with a range from fairy tale style telling to first person narration in full co ...more
Rylee
I only read Once Upon a Time...
Usha Hegde
The stories take us to harsh realities of African continent, the poverty, the anarchy, the racism etc. Like the children who are being taken from bandit ridden home town to a refugee camp by old grand parents by walk, like the teenage kids who are unable to attend school because they were dismissed for attending a rally, like the lady who herself goes underground to just get a visit to her brother and mother who are in an unknown jail.
A great book.
Beth
Why did it take me so long to read the Nobel Prize winning Nadine Gordimer!?! These stories are highly crafted gems that deal with social and economic conflicts in South Africa. Painful and surprising, these stories anticipate 21st-century violence between cultures and religions, and they investigate the impact of difficult politics on individual lives.
Jules Vilmur
I've picked up a few short story collections in the last couple of months, thinking that my current short attention span would thank me, but this is the first of those collections to really engage me. Gordimer's stories were brutal and beautiful one after another. Really lovely, meaty stuff.
Iuliana
I love reading short stories but it is very hard to find good short stories. I had heard good things about this author but i didn't enjoy the book. Two or three of the stories were quite good, but i found most of them went nowhere and were pointless.
Stephanie
N.G. fearlessly avoids politically correct writing. In "Sweet Delight" she creates a muslim terrorist and in "Once Upon a Time," she writes a grim fairy tale that cautions against isolation.

All of the stories provoke reaction.
Turtlegirl00
These stories are amazing! They are not neatly wrapped up/happy ending stories, but they are gripping and telling of what occurs in Africa... I am not normally a fan of short stories, but I could not put this book down.
Heather
South African writer who makes you stop and think about the role we all play in the politics and life that goes on around us. We may think that ignoring problems makes us not a part of them, but her stories show otherwise.
Destroydecay
I remember loving select stories that I had to read for high school English. However, this read, it appears that the select stories were a minority of the book. I love the stories I love and hate the stories I hate.
Lindsay
Gordimer's writing is so blunt and dispassion, and yet perceptive of human behavior, that it is often hard to read. She has an unflinching approach to humanity which I love, and yet want to pull away from.
Siiri
Oct 11, 2007 Siiri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Oh, this is one of my favorite books of all time... a superb collection of short stories that make you want to crawl into South Africa through the book. Raw and moving.
Eman.
فتحت لي نافذة صغيرة ، بقصص مختلفة من أماكن عدة و شخصيات الأبيض والاسود عن جنوب افريقيا ، وتحديدًا حول التمييز العنصري ، كانت القصص ذكية برغم رداءة الترجمة...
Alexandra
I found the different personages in all these different stories rather confusing, but I liked the way it was written and some of them were seriously good...
Jessica
I picked this up in a book store while travelling, finished it in a couple days and liked it enough that I talked about it and passed it on immediately.
  • Stars of the New Curfew
  • Heart Songs and Other Stories
  • The Complete Stories
  • Too Far Afield
  • Gods and Soldiers: The Penguin Anthology of Contemporary African Writing
Nadine Gordimer was a South African writer, political activist and recipient of the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature. She was recognized as a woman "who through her magnificent epic writing has – in the words of Alfred Nobel – been of very great benefit to humanity".

Gordimer's writing dealt with moral and racial issues, particularly apartheid in South Africa. Under that regime, works such as Burger'
More about Nadine Gordimer...
July's People The Pickup The Conservationist Burger's Daughter My Son's Story