Start by marking “An Irish Christmas” as Want to Read:
An Irish Christmas

An Irish Christmas

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  595 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Melody Carlson is the bestselling author of more than 200 books, including My Son, the Savior and The Christmas Bus. She lives with her husband in Sisters, Oregon.

Published September 1st 2007 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about An Irish Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Irish Christmas

Vicki Andrada
Jul 22, 2015 Vicki Andrada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't typically read Christmas books in the summer. Some friends and I decided to read one for the Christmas in July thing. I am very glad I did! This book was great! It shows how poisoning secrets can be, how the Lord can make things right when we've messed them up, how his love can shine through if we just let it, that he can guide us if we just trust in him! Loved it!
Irisheyz77
An Irish Christmas by Melody Carlson is a story that is told from two different points of view, that of the two main characters: Colleen Fitzgerald and her son Jaime. The story takes place in the early 1960s shortly after the loss of Colleen's husband.

I was really excited about this book but found myself disappointed in it. I often felt that the dialog was a little forced. Especially when it came to inserting slag words from the day. The plot was also horrible predictable and the characters woul
Annette Moore
Jul 22, 2015 Annette Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was totally, completely, and utterly amazing! If I could give it ten stars, I would! It's definitely going to be one I'll read over and over again, I'm pretty certain of that! when Jamie announces his intention to join the Air Force, his mother, Colleen, both in attempting to dissuade him from doing so and to try and mend their rocky relationship, arranges for them to travel to Ireland for the holidays. there, secrets come out, and unexpected joys await. that's all I'll say. I loved it ...more
kelley
Dec 04, 2011 kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, christmas, 2011
I downloaded this book for two reasons. One) I had just finished "Christmas at Harrington's" by this same author. I enjoyed it so much I was certain that I would enjoy other books written by Ms. Carlson. Two) As I browsed the list of books available by the author this book "An Irish Christmas" caught my eye. I've always wanted to go to Ireland and I love Christmas. So I thought this would be a win/win/ for me. I was right. I like the way Ms. Carlson writes. Life is not peachy but her characters ...more
Lisa
Dec 14, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was another book for my Holiday Reading Challenge hosted by All About {n}. Once again I want to tell you how much I love Holiday novels. They usually make me feel warm and fuzzy and get me in the holiday spirit. Apparently, this season just hasn't been my best season for picking great holiday reads.

An Irish Christmas was a very short read. The writing tended to be simplistic and predictable. It didn't really capture my attention and pull me into the story. I did, however, enjoy the descrip
Suzanne Barrett
Jan 04, 2012 Suzanne Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is 1963 and Colleen Frederick's life is disintegrating. President John F. Kennedy has been assassinated, Hal, her husband of twenty-two years has died, and her relationship with her son, Jamie is deteriorating.

Jamie wants to join the Air Force, something given the escalation of what would become the Vietnam War, Colleen passionately does not want, and Jamie isn't interested in the shoe business Hal wanted him to take over. Moreover, Jamie's vagueness about his college education makes Colleen
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
Dec 30, 2011 TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook, 2011

For Colleen, life is spinning out of control. She just lost her husband, and her relationship with her young adult son Jamie is crumbling. Should she confess to him the secret that has been haunting her for twenty years?

Jamie has a few secrets of his own. When he announces his plans to join the military, Colleen decides it's time for
Regina Spiker
Colleen and her grown-up son, Jamie, have kept secrets from each other, not little secrets - but blow it out of the water secrets, secrets that could tear apart their fragile relationship. While Jamie was in college, his Dad/Colleen's husband passed away from a heart condition. Now alone and adrift, Colleen sells the flourishing shoe business that Jamie does not want to run and is seriously considering downsizing her beautiful but much too large home. When Jamie comes home from college and with ...more
Mandy
Dec 25, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-books
Not too much Christmas in this one, but still a great story. Jamie bugged me a little during the first half of the book, he was quite the selfish little brat, but he grew up as the book progressed. I thought this story was adorable and heartfelt. I have read several of Melody Carlson's Christmas books and I am always pleased in the end. Her books always contain a fantastic moral to the story, her characters always grow through their trials, and the books always hold my attention. I will definite ...more
Sara
May 26, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This short story is very enjoyable. The main characters are so sweet and pure-hearted, that it's easy to forgive their mistakes. After recently visiting Ireland (though not the same regions), I could really imagine the places and people that the characters met along their journey, thanks to Carlson's beautiful descriptions. Melody Carlson drops plenty of clues for the reader along the way, so though the book may be a little predictable, it is the only way to feel closure with this type of story! ...more
Beckie Burnham
It is Christmas in July for a FB group I belong to. Our group read this month includes An Irish Christmas by Melody Carlson. A well-written novella, this book explores lost love, secrets and lies. I am looking forward to the discussion later in the month. Have you read this book? I would love to share your thoughts with my group.

An Irish Christmas is set in the early 1960s — less than 20 years after the end of WWII and at the start of the Vietnam War. Colleen and her son Jamie both have secrets
Lynda
Jan 21, 2012 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A widowed mother, Colleen and her adult son Jamie are each keeping secrets from each other. Because this is Christian fiction, after a few chapters I thought it was an updated version of the prodigal son however I was wrong. It is more a story of truth and forgiveness. Carlson's characters are always likeable and she does not hit you over the head with the message. This was a pleasant holiday story about how keeping secrets can make life so difficult as well as finding freedom when nothing is hi ...more
Barbara
I enjoyed this very unique story set partially in Ireland, and I love how it ended. The only drawback in my mind was that some of the circumstances seemed just a little bit too far-fetched to be believable. Things worked out a little bit too smoothly and quickly to seem plausible. Melody Carlson has a fun-to-read writing style, and I look forward to reading more of her books.
Heather
Jan 10, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ireland. I've never been but hope to make it there one day. This love of Ireland causes me to choose just about any book that is set there. I have had this book on my kindle app since 2011. I even started to read it once, but apparently I wasn't interested at the time. I'm not sure why because I was able to get into it quickly this time. The story takes place in 1963, and begins a year after Colleen, one of the main characters, has lost her husband to a heart attack. The other main charac ...more
Debra
Nov 29, 2013 Debra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2013
This book was just ok. I'm not sure why continue to read Melody Carlson books. They are always mediocre, at best. The characters were kind of irritating to me, and the ending was unbelievably happy. Plus, this is supposed to be a Christian book, but there were only a few prayers offered up to the vending machine God.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
An okay read of a widow, Colleen, and her son, Jamie, who spend some time in Ireland around Christmas. Up until then Jamie thought his life was just normal and boring, until Colleen tells him about her past and his birth father who died in the Pearl Harbor attack.
Sherrill Watson
The operative word is Christmas.

Colleen May Frederick and her son travel to Ireland over Christmas, where she has a secret she proposes to tell him. Jamie (James) Frederick is her teenaged boy, disinterested, and somewhat aloof. There are flashes of the adult in him, however, as he attempts to take care of his Mom's needs, which she wrestles with and tries not to quell. And the fact that he can play the piano and has been taking money for his college education for two years and not telling her
Melanie
Jul 31, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a different, but enjoyable, read. I liked how it was a story of lost love and second chances. Also, the story took place in Ireland - which was fun.
Sandy
May 09, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, but it was very predictable, there were no surprises.
Alleluialu
Again she writes a "not your typical Christmas story" and it is wonderful!

I visited Ireland several years ago and reading this novel made me want to go back even more then I already did. When I was there I felt as Jamie did - that it was home. This story was lovely and, even though it was predictable, it pulled emotions from me at just the right moments. A very good read anytime of the year.
Leigh Ann
Jul 08, 2015 Leigh Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Melody Carlson books when I want something quick and fast too read that you can get into quickly, especially a good traveling book! This may have been my favorite of hers, I really enjoyed this one. Maybe because of the music story behind the main story. But I loved the characters in this one. Their struggles were real. It's short and only took me two days to get it read, but a good story line.
Sandybear76
Colleen and his 21 year old son Jaime have not been connecting much after the death of her husband Hal. Colleen decides to sell the house and make other changes in her life. She also decides to take Jaime to Ireland for Christmas in hopes to getting together. Colleen has a secret but so does Jaime and the trip frees both of them to give up their secrets to each other.
Kate
Dec 10, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At only 180+ pages, this book was a struggle to get through. Very predictable story with substandard writing. I'll agree with other reviewers that this was not a "Christmas" story, but took place around Christmas time. I was also thoroughly disappointed by the ending. The mother character has a revelation that she needs to be an adult, and then she kind of just gives that up.

Poor book from beginning to end.
Beverley Albright
For people with rose colored glasses and who love a 'and they lived happily ever after' ending, this is the perfect book. But I found it way too predictable and way too simple. I like more complicated characters and plotlines in a story. Plus, I really didn't care for any of the characters. Not a bad read for Christmas....light, and I suppose uplifting.
Mary
Dec 20, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pulled in by this and how after so many years she wanted to take her son on this Christmas trip. Without realizing the one she thought she lost so long ago was not truly lost. And how you discover along with them as you journey through this story with them. This was such a great story would make a great movie.
Janie  R. Freeman
Nov 19, 2015 Janie R. Freeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas

A mother and her son travel to Ireland for Christmas vacation,and she also has a truth she will tell her son about.
The descriptive scenes from the places in Ireland sound beautiful. This story has a message of how powerful love is,even across the oceans. There is a surprise ending,indeed, a very happy one!
Kathleen Stevens
Quick read, set in the fall/winter of 1964. If you were not around during that time period, some of the references and some of the character tone might be annoying. It was a simpler time...until the assassination of JFK. It dragged until the story moved to Ireland...
Stacey Cochran
Dec 07, 2015 Stacey Cochran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This is just a sweet story of forgiveness, reconciliation, and Christmas. I enjoy how Melody Carlson tells the story from both perspectives of mother and son. My only dissatisfaction with the story is the ending. It just ends too quickly.
Lori Henrich
Colleen is trying to cope with what she needs to do to move on with her life. Her husband passed away a year and a half ago and there will need to be more changes to come. The business needs to be sold and also the house and a secret needs to be told. Jamie has been keeping keeping secrets from his mom. He wanted to tell his parents the truth about school and what he wanted to do with his life, but when his father died he didn't know how to tell his mom the truth. Now Colleen and Jamie are going ...more
Lisa
Great read

This is not necessarily a Christmas book. It is a great story about a lady who thought she had lost the love of her life and she did for many, many years. They do find each other again.
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Christmas Roses
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • O Little Town
  • Remembering Christmas
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • A Wild Goose Chase Christmas
  • A Light in the Window: An Irish Christmas Love Story
  • Mary's Son
  • Christmas Redemption
  • A Simple Amish Christmas
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, #1)
  • Kiss of the Christmas Wind
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...