An Irish Christmas

An Irish Christmas

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Melody Carlson is the bestselling author of more than 200 books, including My Son, the Savior and The Christmas Bus. She lives with her husband in Sisters, Oregon.

Published September 1st 2007 by Fleming H. Revell Company

kelley
I downloaded this book for two reasons. One) I had just finished "Christmas at Harrington's" by this same author. I enjoyed it so much I was certain that I would enjoy other books written by Ms. Carlson. Two) As I browsed the list of books available by the author this book "An Irish Christmas" caught my eye. I've always wanted to go to Ireland and I love Christmas. So I thought this would be a win/win/ for me. I was right. I like the way Ms. Carlson writes. Life is not peachy but her characters...more
Lisa
This was another book for my Holiday Reading Challenge hosted by All About {n}. Once again I want to tell you how much I love Holiday novels. They usually make me feel warm and fuzzy and get me in the holiday spirit. Apparently, this season just hasn't been my best season for picking great holiday reads.

An Irish Christmas was a very short read. The writing tended to be simplistic and predictable. It didn't really capture my attention and pull me into the story. I did, however, enjoy the descrip...more
Suzanne Barrett
It is 1963 and Colleen Frederick's life is disintegrating. President John F. Kennedy has been assassinated, Hal, her husband of twenty-two years has died, and her relationship with her son, Jamie is deteriorating.

Jamie wants to join the Air Force, something given the escalation of what would become the Vietnam War, Colleen passionately does not want, and Jamie isn't interested in the shoe business Hal wanted him to take over. Moreover, Jamie's vagueness about his college education makes Colleen...more
Irisheyz77
An Irish Christmas by Melody Carlson is a story that is told from two different points of view, that of the two main characters: Colleen Fitzgerald and her son Jaime. The story takes place in the early 1960s shortly after the loss of Colleen's husband.

I was really excited about this book but found myself disappointed in it. I often felt that the dialog was a little forced. Especially when it came to inserting slag words from the day. The plot was also horrible predictable and the characters woul...more
Kasi Lou

For Colleen, life is spinning out of control. She just lost her husband, and her relationship with her young adult son Jamie is crumbling. Should she confess to him the secret that has been haunting her for twenty years?

Jamie has a few secrets of his own. When he announces his plans to join the military, Colleen decides it's time for...more
Regina Spiker
Colleen and her grown-up son, Jamie, have kept secrets from each other, not little secrets - but blow it out of the water secrets, secrets that could tear apart their fragile relationship. While Jamie was in college, his Dad/Colleen's husband passed away from a heart condition. Now alone and adrift, Colleen sells the flourishing shoe business that Jamie does not want to run and is seriously considering downsizing her beautiful but much too large home. When Jamie comes home from college and with...more
Mandy
Not too much Christmas in this one, but still a great story. Jamie bugged me a little during the first half of the book, he was quite the selfish little brat, but he grew up as the book progressed. I thought this story was adorable and heartfelt. I have read several of Melody Carlson's Christmas books and I am always pleased in the end. Her books always contain a fantastic moral to the story, her characters always grow through their trials, and the books always hold my attention. I will definite...more
Sara
This short story is very enjoyable. The main characters are so sweet and pure-hearted, that it's easy to forgive their mistakes. After recently visiting Ireland (though not the same regions), I could really imagine the places and people that the characters met along their journey, thanks to Carlson's beautiful descriptions. Melody Carlson drops plenty of clues for the reader along the way, so though the book may be a little predictable, it is the only way to feel closure with this type of story!...more
Lynda
A widowed mother, Colleen and her adult son Jamie are each keeping secrets from each other. Because this is Christian fiction, after a few chapters I thought it was an updated version of the prodigal son however I was wrong. It is more a story of truth and forgiveness. Carlson's characters are always likeable and she does not hit you over the head with the message. This was a pleasant holiday story about how keeping secrets can make life so difficult as well as finding freedom when nothing is hi...more
Barbara
I enjoyed this very unique story set partially in Ireland, and I love how it ended. The only drawback in my mind was that some of the circumstances seemed just a little bit too far-fetched to be believable. Things worked out a little bit too smoothly and quickly to seem plausible. Melody Carlson has a fun-to-read writing style, and I look forward to reading more of her books.
Debra
This book was just ok. I'm not sure why continue to read Melody Carlson books. They are always mediocre, at best. The characters were kind of irritating to me, and the ending was unbelievably happy. Plus, this is supposed to be a Christian book, but there were only a few prayers offered up to the vending machine God.
Sandy
I liked it, but it was very predictable, there were no surprises.
Sandybear76
Colleen and his 21 year old son Jaime have not been connecting much after the death of her husband Hal. Colleen decides to sell the house and make other changes in her life. She also decides to take Jaime to Ireland for Christmas in hopes to getting together. Colleen has a secret but so does Jaime and the trip frees both of them to give up their secrets to each other.
Elaine
About a year after Colleen’s husband dies, she and her single adult son go off to Ireland where they both have something to reveal to the other.

I find it difficult to believe her son Jamie would so easily accept her news having only heard it such a short time ago. I would think it would take more time to digest and work through and still…

And his sudden concern over his mother as though he magically matured.

What happens towards the end surely comes as no surprise in this type of story.

And to th...more
Pattyo
This gentle Christmas story took me along through the twists and turns of the life of a strong young woman and the honest choices she made to carve out a place for herself and her family. I enjoyed it very much. Merry Christmas! I love holiday stories.
Danni
This book takes place in Ireland. I play a celtic harp. This book is about the history of our county. I love history. The two main characters make up there own music. This book had my name on it.
I told my husband about it and he started laughing because it had so much of me it. It also talks about learning to recognize and depend on God. My favorite scripture is Proverbs 3:4-5. ( go look it up:)
Sheila

Not a bad little story for Christmas. I thought the son Jamie, was bit annoying. But at the end of course he turned out pretty good. Good to see that his mother Colleen, being a single mom now wanted her son to know of his biological father. She took the time even to bring him back to the old country. As any Christmas story all things wrapped up at the end with happy things.
Melinda Johnson
I found this on the cheap for my Kindle, so I added it to my airplane reading list. I rarely stop reading a book that I start, just in case it picks up. I made it almost 2/3 of the way through this one, and I just couldn't take it. The characters were flat, boring, and the writing was juvenile. Such a pretty cover with a pretty title... no good on the inside.
Barbara
After I got into this book, I thought it was really a downer for Christmas. The mother lost her husband and the grown son was at odds and had deceived his mother. While the ending was a little too unbelievable, that's why they call it fiction. The book does give us all a lesson in forgiveness, communication, and not jumping to conclusions.
Mirah W
Another Christmas novella from Carlson. Some parts of this were very predictable and some were quite surprising. The son was rather annoying at times, especially at the beginning when he was being so manipulative. The ending was a bit too perfect but it's ok, it's all in the spirit of Christmas. :)
I was a little concerned about reading this book because the previous reviews are nor that great. I loved this story and how it was written so you experienced both sides of the story. It was a quick read with a cute story about how people are driven to find what has been missing in there lives.
Stephany G
This was another short holiday read. My least favorite of this author's books so far. I just didn't connect with the characters. The mother seemed too young and the son seemed like a spoiled child. I did like the sweet story, just not the characters.
Soccergypsy
A quick and easy, but slow, read. I don't know that I'll read this again but I didn't dislike it. Knew the outcome after having just started the storyline. No surprises. Perhaps that is why it seemed like a slow read.
Trish
Cheesy TV movie type book, with a ridiculous ending. Skip it.
Joy Gerbode
I love all things Irish, and all things Christmas, so this was a perfect combination. It was a very pleasant story, sharing some wonderful insights, a little of the beauty of Ireland, and some delightful surprises.
Carol
I enjoyed the book only because it was a Christmas story. I found the writing to be a little simplistic and the plot was very predictable. Not one of Melody Carlson's best but a good quick holiday read.
Donna
This was my first Melody Carlson book. I liked it a lot. Sorry this review isn't more in depth. I have a tendency to forget what I've read once I've read it. I move on to the next book and don't look back.
Lizzy
An ok book. Great ending, but rather boring up until the last several chapters.
I realize I am not a very big fan of Melody Carlson. I got this book a while back but probably wont be buying any more.
Elizabeth Olson
A family story, warmly told, to warm the heart: a son coming of age, a mom reclaiming her past, family secrets uncovered and forgiven...plus Christmas...and it's in Ireland. Light and sweet.
Nancy
It took me about 3 hours to read this book. I was not impressed with this particular book. I won't recommend this book to anyone.

Book #2 in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge.
  • Remembering Christmas
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • O Little Town
  • Christmas Roses
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Forever Christmas
  • Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love
  • A Light in the Window: An Irish Christmas Love Story
  • A Wild Goose Chase Christmas
  • A Simple Amish Christmas
  • Christmas Redemption
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • A Patchwork Christmas: Three Christmas Romances with Bonus Handcraft Patterns and Cookie Recipes
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • A Lancaster County Christmas
  • A Woman Called Sage
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)