Start by marking “De Sluipschutter” as Want to Read:
De Sluipschutter

De Sluipschutter

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Ballonstrip.
Published April 2011 by De Bezige Bij (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about De Sluipschutter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Sluipschutter

Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Carmen by: Movie
This book is terrible. Terrible. It has a great premise, and a good plot - until the last 25 pages or so, where it completely falls apart and also has an ending which makes the book terrible. TERRIBLE.

Martin Terrier left his house at age 18. He kissed his girlfriend Anne goodbye. She was 16. He made her promise to wait for him. He would come back for her in 10 years. He joins the army, and after serving, he becomes a mercenary.

As a ruthless, efficient killer Martin excels. He is a serious badass
Jacob
It was winter, and it was dark. Coming down directly from the Arctic, a freezing wind rushed into the Irish Sea, swept through Liverpool, raced across the Cheshire plain (where the cats lowered their trembling ears at the sound of the roaring of the chimneys) and, through the lowered window, struck the eyes of the man sitting in the little Bedford van. The man did not blink.
(The Prone Gunman, p. 3)

Dear Edward George Bulwer-Lytton: That's how you do it, motherfucker.

I think Jean-Patrick Manchette
Mike (the Paladin)
I found this book a somewhat major disappointment, I mean I don't hate it I just dislike it. I will say this, at least I know to skip the movie.

The book is about a killer (hit man) who has decided to...retire. He wants to quit. See the "love of his life" was a rich girl and he was, well he was sort of the son of a brain damaged drunk. So he went off to get rich, she promised she'd wait for 10 years and it's been 10 years...

I won't spoil the book for you if you want to read it for yourself. I wil
Trish
The novel is so tightly plotted one can barely tear oneself away. It is slim enough to read in an evening, however, if you are so inclined. Manchette wrote screen plays also, and the writing in this novel is spare enough to read almost as an outline with its own stage directions.

A hitman completes what he thinks is his final job, deposits his take with his financial advisor, then heads back to find the woman he left behind whom he hopes is still waiting for him ten years later. She hasn’t been
Terry
Sep 15, 2007 Terry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noir fans
Manchette (even in translation) beats most modern noir writers in terms of sheer purity. After all, isn't "noir" French? Unfortunately, not many of his books have been translated into English, but this is, according to authorities, one of his best.

Jean-Paul Manchette was a French analog to the American lefty Dashiell Hammett. Manchette was a leader on the barricades in the French student uprisings in 1968, then turned to writing noir.

He depicts almost nothing of what the characters think, but
Daniel
A short take:

After opening up with a typical and entertaining lone-hitman narrative, Manchette shoves his story into a shit-storm of crazy and violent tragedy.

More thoughts:

First, a random thought: I bet G.R.R. Martin would dig Manchette's brutal treatment of his characters. If Manchette were alive today and could sit in a room with Martin, the two would probably pat each other on the back and share evil laughs about their diabolical schemes. No character is safe!

The two Manchette translations
Evan
This one flirted with me. I saw it on the clearance shelf at Half Price Books for $1 and I considered it on several visits, pulling it off the shelf and skimming it and putting it back. This erotic dance continued with my comings and goings at the store, and finally yesterday I said what the hell. I loved the cover design, the thinness and the slickness of the jacket, the text fonts, the idea that this was a hard-nosed noir in the classic tradition; the London & Paris settings and so forth. ...more
Tfitoby
There's a description of the work of Manchette that most people seem to agree on, cinematic, and I am not going to come along and start telling you otherwise. This was a dark piece of literature verite (told you I'd hold on to this term) written in such a spare, descriptive manner that as you read it you are reminded of great movies not great literature.

I'm not going to criticise an enjoyable novel for having the style of Jean-Pierre Melville or a protagonist that could have been Leon in a later
Lee Goldberg
Over the weekend, I read a slim, 1981 French thriller, published in the U.S. in 2002 by City Lights, and that I've had on my shelf for years. It's called The Prone Gunman(aka La Position du Tireur Couche ) by Jean-Patrick Manchette and it is a frustrating book. It starts off great, with some of the leanest, meanest prose you'll ever find in a noir... taking the familiar "hitman on his last job" scenario and making it seem fresh. I fell in love with the prose and the world-view. Terrier is an odd ...more
Tosh
Jan 31, 2008 Tosh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cool French crime books
Jean-Paul Manchette was a partiipant in the May 68 student uprising and eventually became one of France's top crime 'Noir' writers. "The Prone Gunman" is a study of an assassain who wants to have a normal life with his love one, etc. and etc. But alas, the business of killing is so difficult to leave.... for various reasons. Manchette is a classic writer/observer of Paris culture as well as a fan of Guy Debord. The mixture of the two is pure cocktail of great writing.
Adam
Manchette writes stark, ironic, blackly comic noir with an air of political disgust and matter of fact absurdity and existentialism. This book works as perfect pulp thriller, while turning the genre on its head, filled with graphic violence, wild twists in the plot, perfect details, and comes to a brutal ironic ending which is almost impossible to predict. Kind of a variation on Melville’s Le Samouri and Greene’s Gun for Hire but it is a richer one.
Lindsay
Did NOT like this. This may actually be better suited to be a movie than a novel.
Ross Cumming
I had never heard of the author before but saw that this novel was the basis for the new Sean Penn film 'The Gunman' and after reading a bit more about Jean-Patrick Manchette I thought this was definitely worth a bit more investigation.
Manchette tells the story of Terrier or 'Mr Christian' as he is also known, a hit man, who has decided he has had enough and wants to call it a day. However his handlers have other ideas and as Terrier starts to implement his retirement plan he quickly finds his
Nick
Breathtakingly terrible. Wow. I don't know what else to say. So so bad.
Charles Dee Mitchell
Martin Terrier is a hit man ready to get out of the business. Yes, we have been here before. But Manchette's brief novel is a lean, mean piece of writing with a fascinating central character who has killer instincts but in so many ways just isn't very bright. The body count is high, and after each killing you know exactly where the brain matter has ended up -- on the wall, in an ear, etc. Manchette also never skips the detail that a bullet or a piece of fireplace equipment in the lung causes the ...more
Loren
From ISawLightningFall.com

THREE-AND-A-HALF STARS

It’s customary for Americans to mock the French, but honesty compels us to admit that our continental cousins do a lot of things well. Fine wine, for example, and gourmet cuisine and sixteenth-century theological reformations. Let me add something else to the list -- slim volumes of literary-minded noir. Consider Jean-Patrick Manchette’s The Prone Gunman to be Exhibit A.

Noir could be summed up as desperate people doing criminally nasty things, and
Φαροφύλακας
Είναι πράγματι ένα βιβλίο που διαβάζεται μονορούφι, όπως μου υποσχέθηκε η αδερφή μου που μου το δώρισε. Η αλήθεια είναι πως μου αρέσουν τα βιβλία που έχουν πλοκή κι εξέλιξη, και στο συγκεκριμένο η πλοκή είναι αδυσώπητη. Δεν παύει στιγμή.

Πρόκειται βέβαια για μια αστυνομική ιστορία, ορθόδοξη και καλογραμμένη, την ιστορία τού Μαρτίν Τεριέ, ενός πληρωμένου δολοφόνου που εκτελεί την τελευταία του δουλειά και αποσύρεται για να βρει την εφηβική αγαπημένη του, που πριν δέκα χρόνια τής είπε να τον περιμέ
Max Renn
the first paragraph of this book describes the course of the arctic wind sweeping down from the irish sea on its way to ruffle the ears of cats. that paragraph pretty accurately describes this book.

lean, clean, slapdash and bracing, this hitman's story tells its tale with an economy of language and a wreckless pace. stopping only to linger on grace notes chosen with an apparently random criteria.

this tight but loose structure fits our hero, a hitman comfortable with his role, but ambiguous about
Lawrence FitzGerald
This is the first Manchette I've read. He reminds me of David Goodis and Jim Thompson.

Noir is as much a literature of convention (cliche) as is the Romance novel. The tough as nails protagonist, the femme fatale, the treacherous bad guys. But a good writer can string these things together in very creative ways, do a little work on character (backstory) and voila! Jim Thompsons magic noir "The Grifters" or Goodis's "Shoot the Piano Player".

Manchette knows his oats. Terrier is tough as nails (and
Roger
The Prone Gunman by Jean-Patrick Manchette:
Violence just explodes, often unexpectedly. Terrier, the hired gunman in this slim book comes to see a woman he once had a relationship with years ago, and suddenly home invaders with past-unfinished business follow him. The invaders are brutal, taking care of the woman’s current boyfriend with economical thoroughness. The woman remarks, "I have never seen such people. Are you like them? Or not?", "I'm like them. Not only. But I'm like them." Terrier re
Joel
Wow, this book was crap. It completely falls apart at the end, changing points of view, muddling itself with outright claims of profound philosophy. Just, trite, crap. Man, why did I read this?
Charles Harries
It felt like cheap Cormac McCarthy to me. It hit all the same notes as a McCarthy but without the depth, without the art.
Lee
Mar 30, 2015 Lee rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: existentialist, nihilism believer, trash novel lover
Recommended to Lee by: Sean Penn
Sebentar, saya harus ngasih tepuk tangan ke saya sendiri: *slow clapping*.
Hebat, baru beberapa jam ketemu bukunya, sudah langsung selesai hari itu juga. Arogansi saya memang hebat...

Yep, ke-sotoy-an saya memang penggerak utama saya menyelesaikan novel ini; karena ini adalah salah satu judul yang ada di daftar panjang buku-yang-harus-dibaca-sebelum-filmnya-muncul. Dan kalau bukan karena Sean Penn yang memproduseri, menulis skenario, sekaligus membintangi film adaptasinya, buku ini tidak akan ada
Andy
The Prone Gunman was okay, but not great. It was a lot like a Delacorta thriller, a quick, entertaining read that doesn't demand too much from the reader. Manchette is no Graham Greene, believe me. Better than Three to Kill but not as good as Fatale.
Amanda Joyce
It reads like Hemingway, if Hemingway wrote a movie treatment for a noir thriller. The violence is presented in such a low-key, straightforward manner, that I would re-read paragraphs just to make sure I was reading it correctly.
Kris McCracken
A tightly written hard-boiled thriller that explodes with violence every few pages. The usual tale of hired gun wanting out, but others not letting that happen. Nihilism at its best!
Mam
Too noir for my taste.
Yvonne
I Wanted to listen to this audiobook prior to seeing the movie The Gunman with Sean Penn. Hopefully the movie will be a lot better than this audio recording!!
Fabio Tassi
Ultimo romanzo di Manchette, ed unico negli ultimi 15 anni - spesi alla ricerca di una nuova soluzione letteraria, dopo aver rivoluzionato il romanzo di genere in Francia, con originalità e realismo. Uno stile di scrittura difficilmente eguagliabile. Esperimento finale perfettamente riuscito.
Erik
[Dutch]
De sfeer van een film noir, maar dan in de verstilde vorm van een strip. Dat is De sluipschutter van Jacques Tardi, naar een verhaal van Jean-Patrick Manchette.

Tardi is vooral bekend van zijn vertellingen over de Eerste Wereldoorlog en maakte daarnaast ook al eerder met schrijver Manchette de strips Grifu. Ook Manchettes Kleine West Coast Blues nam Tardi onder handen. Hoewel Manchette al in 1995 overleed, is zijn invloed op het werk van Tardi nog steeds tastbaar. Zoals nu dus in de graphi
Book or Movie; Yo...: March NR - The Prone Gunman 1 5 Mar 01, 2015 10:38AM
  • New Hope for the Dead
  • Arab Jazz
  • The Notebooks of Serafino Gubbio
  • The Panda Theory
  • Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard, #5)
  • Sleeper Season Two
  • The Hunting Party
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • The Widow
  • The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)
Jacques Tardi is a French comics artist, born 30 August 1946 in Valence, Drôme. He is often credited solely as Tardi.

After graduating from the École nationale des Beaux-Arts de Lyon and the École nationale supérieure des arts décoratifs in Paris, he started writing comics in 1969, at the age of 23, in the comics magazine Pilote, initially illustrating short stories written by Jean Giraud and Serge
More about Jacques Tardi...
It Was the War of the Trenches The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec: Pterror Over Paris / The Eiffel Tower Demon The Arctic Marauder Adèle et la bête (Adèle Blanc-Sec, #1) West Coast Blues