Start by marking “Ravages” as Want to Read:
Ravages

Ravages

Steve Gavan and Daniël Borghart are professional soccer players for Kinbridge Town - and also secret lovers. All that changes, however, when Steve innocently wanders into a city park and falls victim to a vicious gang of queer-bashers who beat him within an inch of his life. After that there are no secrets any more - and it's a very long road back, for both of them, from ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Manifold Press

To ask other readers questions about Ravages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ravages

Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanThe Locker Room by Amy LaneStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonHeart in Hand by salifiable
Best Gay Athletes
125th out of 381 books — 656 voters
Zero at the Bone by Jane SevilleKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneFinding Zach by Rowan SpeedwellMexican Heat by Laura BaumbachThe One That Got Away by Rhianne Aile
Best Gay Couple In Health and In Sickness
86th out of 285 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaje Harper
Jun 18, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m, intense
This book opens with a memory of passion and affection - an image of Steve walking aimlessly, thinking about Daniel, the teammate with whom he has fallen in love. He is alone that night because they're in the closet, and Daniel's parents are in town. Within a few pages, the story moves into a scene of horrific violence. The rest of the book deals with the aftermath of both the love and the violence, for Steve, for Dan, and for everyone around them.

The writing is understated, clear and gorgeous.
Trisha Harrington
Beautiful, tragic and thought provoking. My favourite love story.

Ravages is the first book by R.A. Padmos I have ever read. It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. From the style of writing to the characters to the love story that left a permanent mark on me. I have so much praise for this author and her wonderful writing style. There's nothing I can complain about with this book. It was magical, beautiful stunning and a true love, story.

Don't expect a story that is just simply a
Gina
Feb 21, 2014 Gina added it
Recommended to Gina by: Mandy*reads obsessively*
Shelves: m-m
DNF at 30%

I am not rating this book, I could not get into the writing style at all. I felt disconnected with the the whole story. And honestly at 30% I could not find one thing I liked to justify further suffering on my part.
SueM
4.5 stars.
When I started reading this novel, I have to admit my first impression was not the best. The writing style struck me as being overly desciptive initially, more as if the author was telling me what was happening, rather than showing me. I started skimming a little, but as I was skimming I became intrigued and then finally caught up in the tale. (In fact, I ended up going back to read the bits I had skimmed...) I either became used to the author's style, or the author's writing improved
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.5*
This was a beautiful story to read!
Beautiful, violent, heartbreaking, frustrating, liberating and enlightening!
I do have to say the writing style took a bit of getting use to and at times I wish there had been more showing,as opposed to telling.
The epilogue made me cry!
Definitely recommend!
Snowtulip
Dec 22, 2011 Snowtulip rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, sports
This book has me split down the middle almost. The beginning of this book had so much intensity because Steve was able to convey his feelings at both a primal and soulful level. The beating and then the ensuing fight against death kept me completely intrigued with Steve's struggles, including seeing Dan as this amazing defender. The use of Steve's senses to understand the love he has for Dan just made the love so much stronger for me and it was a great introduction to Dan. I was really enjoying ...more
Sunny
*accidentally deleted off my GR shelves and I lost the review*

I remember that this story tore my heart out and made me cry, the gulping sobs kind of crying. The love story was so incredibly beautiful, that I gave this 5 stars even though I didn't care for the writing style.
Shelby P
Jun 05, 2013 Shelby P rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, sports
I did not like the book's writing and could not get past that. I never felt connected to Steve or Dan. This story deals with a very heavy subject that you'd think would tug at one's heartstrings. Well maybe if we got to know Steve and Dan just a bit better it would have worked for me.

When we meet them they have an attraction to each other and out of the blue Dan kisses Steve. Not sure how he knew Steve swung that way. Then for 6 months they have a secret relationship. We still don't get to know
Xing
Jul 31, 2015 Xing rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 51%

I'm very, very sad that I had to discontinue this book. Ravages is probably one of the more tragically beautiful, contemporary stories I've read in a while, but was so poorly written I just couldn't read anymore.

My advice: download a sample of the story to gauge if you'll love or dislike the writing style. The problem for me was the flowery, very non-realistic and overly long use of dialogue. No one speaks like the people in this book! Not only that, but there is so much telling and not
Elci
Just gutted. Seriously. This book is slow, intense, fabulous, emotional and lyrical. Just pass me the Kleenex already.
Elisa Rolle
This is an high emotional novel and the author decides to make it even more high impact letting the reader inside the minds and hearts of both main characters, European football professional player Steve and Daniel. It’s hard to explain since there is indeed interaction of Steve and Daniel with other characters, but the main feeling was that everything and everyone that was stranger to their love was also detached, so far away from them.

The author also chose to start the novel when Steve and Dan
Dfotw
Sep 25, 2011 Dfotw rated it it was amazing
The blurb says that ‘Ravages’ is a love story between two footballers -Steve Gavan and Daniël Borghart, who play for a fictional club in the Premier League-, but it’s so, so much more than that. It’s a story about loss, about acceptance, about secrets and what happens when those secrets come to light.

It’s not the typical boy-meets-boy, boys-fall-instantly-in-love, boys-face-contrived-circumstances-that-keep-them-apart, boys-have-a-happy-ending story. Seriously, take your expectations and leave t
Ravyn
I find myself conflicted on how to rate this novel.

On one hand, I very much enjoyed the romance, emotional content, and overall story. The scene of homophobia and violence at the start is heart-wrenching and horrific. The ensuing themes of love and strength and recovery are powerful and inspiring.

But on the other hand, I wasn't particularly enamored with the general writing style in which the story was told. The use of third person present tense felt strange and took quite a while to get accust
Shelby
This story is one of devastation that leads to unbelievable strength. I wasn't sure what I was going to get reading an established couples story like this, but what I got was really beautiful. Steve and Daniel may have been in the closet as being openly gay in professional soccer was not a good idea, but they were quite happily in love. Ultimately what happened only proved that and strengthened everything they had together.

One random walk changed everything for Steve. He never even knew the area
Jul 31, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This is a wonderfully enlightening book that deals with two professional English footballers whose lives are irrevocably ravaged when one of them is brutally beaten by fans who discover that he is gay.

I have read 'gay' fiction in the past that is nowhere near as insightful and well-written as this is. Usually the men involved seem more like women than men, and the problems they have to deal with are petty and shallow compared to the life and death situation that these two men in 'Ravages' must f
Aug 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

Elizabeth H.
Edited in 2014 to change rating from four to five stars.

Original review: four point five stars.

Very odd tone and word choice, but eventually I got into the flow of it. I understand the author might not have English as his or her first language? If that's the case, bravo to them!

The story is incredibly romantic, but there's too much told through dialogue. Also some rose-colored glasses going on, despite the horrific set-up, which is appropriately hard to read. The ending was totally unnecessary.
Calila
I'm not sure I have the words to adequately review this book. It was amazing and emotional and hard to read and still uplifting in a way. I think this book has the most realistic depiction of a gay bashing and the realities of what, I imagine, goes through the victim's brain while it's happening. It was so tough to get through, but necessary I think. The love that Steven and Daniel have for each other is beautiful. I loved seeing them heal together. I wish it had been a little less optimistic at ...more
Melissa
It took me a a few chapters to really get into the story as the writing style is a bit different. Having said that, once I got going I read this entire book in one sitting.

Ravages is both heartbreaking & painful to read, but at the same time so completely full of LOVE. The title Ravages perfectly describes the book and also my emotions while reading it. Steve, Daniel & their story will stay with me for a long time. I can't say this is an enjoyable read, but I would say it's a very satisf
DL
Oct 05, 2012 DL rated it liked it
I should just repeat what Sue said in her review. She summed this book up perfectly, including the skimming that ended up sucking me in. It was just so overwritten. But I also found myself mired in so much emotion, I couldn't put the book down. So much pain, hatred, and love. How could I not want to see these brave men recover and get their much deserved HEA? This book would have been brilliant with an editor who was willing to hack out a good third.
Jerry
Gripping story. Very believable love. Sometimes unbelievable footballer story about coming out. The support they receive would be awesome if it actually came to pass. Amazing epilogue 50 years later. You know when you fall in love with a couple and want to really know what happens to them, this is what happens. Very satisfying.
SueM, Kaje and Elisa have all written beautiful reviews. Do check this book out. Highly recommended.
Page Crusherz
Jan 02, 2012 Page Crusherz rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I thought the present tense was going to annoy me, but it worked well. The love was so sweet, the scenes were hot and done perfectly...it all just WORKED. I wanted to be lost in a book, and have that "I can't stand to stop reading" feelings...and this had it in spades.

Give it a try! I am mad I waited so long!

Khaoula
Nov 25, 2014 Khaoula rated it it was amazing
Phoebe Gee
Nov 28, 2011 Phoebe Gee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tear-jerker
It took me a little while to get used to the style but once I did I could not put it down. I found the book to be very aptly named as my emotions feel utterly ravaged after reading it. A tragically beautiful read.
Jess Candela
Jan 27, 2012 Jess Candela rated it it was amazing
Wow. What an amazing story. I had some trouble at first with how committed they were to each other after just 6 months as a couple, until I remembered they'd been teammates and friends for years before that.
Kerry  sullivan
Aug 13, 2013 Kerry sullivan rated it did not like it
I just could not get into this one is was so slow that I just didn't care that he was in the park about to be in a very bad situation. The internal monologue just made me want to tell him to shut he hell up. It just did not hold my interest or in fact pique my interest.
Starrynight
Jan 27, 2014 Starrynight rated it it was ok
Good story, but I found the way it was written difficult to follow. Very awkward. I had to go check after I read this to see if it was self-published.(nope, manifold press) Read a sample before you buy this to see if the writing style is for you.
Lamar54
Mar 20, 2012 Lamar54 rated it liked it
This is a very good story, but the style was tiresome to read and rarely generated the level of excitment one would expect. I would give the story a 4 and the style a 2; hence, my 3 rating.
Kiki
Nov 16, 2011 Kiki rated it really liked it
A sometimes ponderous style of writing, but I felt the connection and the love between the characters, so overall it really worked for me.
jules0623
3.5 stars - all for the story, which was beautiful. I didn't enjoy the author's style of writing, though, and did skim over the bits that became too 'flowery' and overwritten.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Match Maker
  • Out in the Field
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • Sucker-Punch
  • Racing for the Sun
  • Power Play
  • Last of the Summer Tomatoes (Young Love's Journey #1)
  • The Last Day Of Summer
  • Ten in the Bin
  • Only Love (Only Love #1)
  • Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1)
  • Fight
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Going for Gold: M/M Olympic Anthology
  • Red+Blue (Opposites Attract, #1)
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • Carte Blanche
What’s there to tell about me? I’m a writer, and it has taken me most of my life to admit that, even if writing has been part of my life since forever. I’m a woman, married to the woman who asked me in October 1981 if I cared for a cup of tea… Now we have one marriage, two sons and five cats.
More about R.A. Padmos...