Start by marking “Star Wars: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

Star Wars: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy #3)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  5,982 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
Throughout the galaxy, it was believed that Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker–the Chosen One–had died on Coruscant during the siege of the Jedi Temple. And, to some extent, that was true. Anakin was dead.

From the site of Anakin Skywalker’s last stand–on the molten surface of the planet Mustafar, where he sought to destroy his friend and former master, Obi-Wan Kenobi–a fearsome
Published (first published November 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Jonlesada It serves as an excellent sequel to EP III. But beware there are some slight contradictions as this novel is not considered canon. Most people…moreIt serves as an excellent sequel to EP III. But beware there are some slight contradictions as this novel is not considered canon. Most people wouldn't notice, but it mostly deals with the awareness of certain characters. I have only read the first Dark Lord title, can't comment on the rest....(less)

Chris
REVISED: 4/19/12

When you think about Darth Vader, many things come to mind. Dark Lord of the Sith. Bane of the Jedi. Throat-Crusher Supreme.

Emo?

Of all my complaints about the new trilogy – and there are many – the biggest one has to do with how Anakin Skywalker was handled. I grew up loving Darth Vader. He was a vicious bastard, but by gods he was awesome about it. He was a hard-ass who inspired terror wherever he went, and he was a man who overcame insurmountable evils to ultimately redeem h
Christopher
Feb 12, 2017 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abridged Audiobook

3.5 Stars, considering what it is and what it's trying to be, which is making Vader non-stupid, and providing some insight into how the Jedi were wiped out along with how survivors dealt with it.

Mostly, this book follows some Jedi when Order 66 (the one that told the clones to murder the Jedi) went into effect. We get to see how they discover Palpatine's betrayal, how the galaxy suddenly has turned against them, and how they deal with the end of the only life they've ever know
Greg
As a punishment I had to read this book. It is the only Star Wars novel I've ever read. It's possible that this book makes those crimes against my childhood that Lucas calls Episodes 1 through 3 look like masterpieces compared to this.

The saving bit that earned this book a star?

The author felt it was necessary to explain in detail how Darth Vader urinates and defecates. Yup, if you ever wondered how he does then this book will teach you that most secret of all Jedi tricks. If you are like me an
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 19, 2010 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Several Jedi, including Roan Shryne and Olee Starstone, are fighting a fierce battle on Murkhana when Order 66 arrives. Commander Climber, the clone leader amongst the Jedi, defies orders and allows the Jedi to leave. The three Jedi must then leave the planet and flee to safety, avoiding Darth Vader and his wrath.
NOTE: Based on novel and audiobook.

I Liked:
I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed this novel. If you've read my review for [[ASIN:0345442970 Cloak of Deception]], you learned how d
Kim
Did you know that Darth Vader is actually a whinging, emo sook? Neither did I until I read this book. I knew Anakin was pretty pathetic but I was hoping his transformation was the end of it. No it wasn't. He doesn't like his helmet or his prosthetic limbs or his gloves or sand. He thinks Palpatine is a big meanie. And so goes the first part of this book.

The other part revolves around Jedi Master Roan Shryne and his attempts to flee the Empire with a group of Padawans. It was interesting and serv
Ron
Mar 04, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
A necessary chapter in the expanded history of the Star Wars universe. While focused on Darth Vader's growing into his role as Sidious' apprentice and hatchet man, it also opened themes which will blossom into Episode Four.

Well-written, if pedestrian. I believe this is the first four chapter long epilogue I've encountered.
Robert
Mar 17, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Plucky Protagonists Overcoming Disabilities...to Ruthlessly Crush Dissent
I enjoyed this one.
Luceno handles Vader with a deft touch, his transformation is made much more plausible here. For one thing, the author directly addresses how nimble young Anakin becomes the lurching techno-Franken-monster of the Original Film Trilogy.
Somewhat surprisingly, perhaps, more pages are dedicated to a plucky band of Jedi survivors who are Vader's quarry as opposed to the Big Bad himself, but this structure works well. As in the films, Vader is scarier the less we see of him.
Tyler Hurst
Feb 13, 2010 Tyler Hurst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had Katie and me listening earnestly as they described Vader from a perspective that we've never see in the movies.
Jen • Just One More Page

This review is also posted on my blog.

(view spoiler)
Chad Warner
Jan 13, 2010 Chad Warner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Fluvia
(English review below)

Me ha gustado muchísimo, aunque menos que El laberinto del mal , quizá porque me ha costado un poco reconocer al misterioso y tenebroso Darth Vader en el conflicto interno que se nos ha presentado, pero entiendo por qué el personaje reacciona así, con su transformación tan presente. Lo mejor de este libro es seguir el camino interno que debe librar Darth Vader contra los restos de Anakin Skywalker, y cómo va progresivamente asumiendo su papel en el Lado Oscuro y con respec
Dustin
Jan 19, 2012 Dustin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This will be a fan boy rant, but I don't care.
For a book that's supposed to be solely about Darth Vader's rise to prominence and power after becoming the towering figure in black he's most known for, he hardly plays any role in this book. Disappointing is easily the best word to describe this book. I was expecting brutal exploits that bridge the gap from the last crappy prequel to the first original, and there were none. Hell, the entirety of this book basically covers a few month span shortly a
Michael
Aug 09, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far, I am not impressed with this book. I'm about a third of the way through the book; so far we've had an introduction of a variety of uninteresting characters [most of whom we can assume will die by the end of the book, and thus will have no impact on the greater Star Wars story], and Darth Vader being emo. To be fair to Mr. Luceno, Anakin Skywalker was portrayed as painfully emo in the films.

I am hoping that, by the end, we'll see actual character growth out of Anakin - *something* has to
Naomi
So dissapointed with the end of my favorite character in the book (view spoiler) but still, i really liked it.

The last characters that appeared right at the end, gave me goosebumps! Won't spoil but it was great to see them. Now this Cudgel guy... (view spoiler) gave me to something to think about, that's for sure but haven't read that many Star Wars books to know more a
Kevin
Mar 28, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since his creation, Darth Vader has made a footprint and rightfully received his place as one of the greatest villains of all time. However as the years have gone on writers and even video game creators have turned this once imposing Dark Lord of the Sith into a joke. And it's not fair. This book however made me believe in Vader's power once more. His overcoming of his handicap and truly earning his place as the second most powerful being in the galaxy was a great load off of me, a dedicated Sta ...more
Callie Rathjen
May 06, 2011 Callie Rathjen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a very good book. It summed up everything that happened after Star WarsIII Revenge of the Sith. It told me what Darth Vader was thinking after his makeover. It also told me what happened to other Jedi just not Obi-Wan. I give this book five stars because it kept me interested til the end It also me interested because it expanded on what I like to watch the Star Wars movies. If you love Star Wars and readin, you should really read this book.
Jim
Aug 12, 2015 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Of course this book is not good. I can no more blame this book for being what it is than I can blame a bird for flying. I can blame only myself, and then also blame The Star Wars Minute for dragging my mind into these nooks and crannies.

If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like.
Darren
Jan 08, 2013 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the way Luceno ties up some ends in this book. Excellent choice if you want to shore up the backstory of Annakin and Vader right after Revenge of the Sith.

In terms of the expanded universe, also some interesting background of Kashyyyk and Tatooine. My first book by Luceno and won't be my last.
Andrew Beet
Sep 08, 2015 Andrew Beet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was a great read and it was good to find out how anakin skywalker became darth vader but i don't think the book needed to explain how he takes a piss and a number 2.
Danielle
Apr 05, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved the confliction between vader and his former self. you can see throughout the book him starting to become more and more of a vader. the wanting to forget who he was before. just brilliant.
Thomas
Another sticking point I had from watching the prequel trilogy was why Anakin chose to follow Palpatine, even after Padmé’s death. It seemed like the whole reason he fell to the Dark Side at all was to protect her, and once that left the equation, why stay with him? Surely he would eventually discover that Palpatine had manipulated him as much as he had the rest of the Jedi, so what drove him to stay and serve?

Luceno does a decent job of explaining exactly that. The events of Dark Lord take plac
Jason
Jan 04, 2017 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this an immensely entertaining addition to the Star Wars universe. I mean, you want to see early Lord Vader. This should probably be made into a movie. There's no reason this plot wouldn't kill it. We never get to see Vader right after his conversion into Dark Lord, Sith Sidious' apprentice. I think this is a must read for any Star Wars fanatic. Just baby Leia, the Droids and Chewy would make this epic. It bridges a gap that needs to be addressed. Give us Vader, we are ready for this mov ...more
Richard
Dec 30, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed most aspects of this book. Seeing Vader sink further and further, the Empire tightening it's grip, hints and nods toward the construction of the Death Star, and the introduction to Tarkin.

The ending felt pretty abrupt to me. It wasn't bad necessarily, it's just motoring along well and BAM, Epilogue. Oh well. It's still really fun and enjoyable.
ClaudySummer
Libro con supervivientes de la Orden 66 estándar que se encuentran a los prototipos de rebelde estándar y se les unen en una misión nada clara. Alerta de spoiler: Vader se come la "pantalla". El libro merece la pena para ver al menos como se acostumbra él a su nueva situación/traje/... Leedlo aunque dolo sea por el gustazo de ver a Darth Vader matar mindundis.
Sarah Grace Houston
I will say that it was slow going at times and at moments it felt like I was reading Heart of Darkness again
But this book made the events of the original trilogy such much more powerful and meaningful
Page 330 hit me like a ton of bricks when I grasped what was being said
Torry
Dec 27, 2016 Torry rated it really liked it
Vader's Rise

The book was a great read if you are interested in how Vader really twisted view was solidified and how He really was an idiot when it came to his master.
Julianna Crockett
Feb 21, 2017 Julianna Crockett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would like it, but it drew me in! Nicely done ✅
Edwin L.
Another enjoyable Luceno tale, but it's just barely about Darth Vader. Still a fun, now non-canon story.
Bennie
Feb 10, 2017 Bennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Not as good as the other books in the trilogy.
Dave Collins
For a book about Darth Vader, it really needed more Darth Vader.
hi 2 10 Aug 25, 2013 01:52AM
Disapointed and Good 2 39 Nov 22, 2011 12:29PM
  • Jedi Twilight (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #1)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Jedi Trial
  • Triple Zero  (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #2)
  • Tempest (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #3)
  • The Cestus Deception
  • The Approaching Storm
  • Allegiance (Star Wars)
  • Shatterpoint
  • Fury (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #7)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
James Luceno co-wrote a lot of books with Brian Daley as Jack McKinney.

He is a New York Times Best-Selling author currently living in Annapolis, Maryland with his wife and youngest child.
More about James Luceno...

Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy (4 books)
  • Labyrinth of Evil (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • The Dark Lord Trilogy (Star Wars: The Dark Lord Trilogy, #1-3)

“The time had come to give the rest of the galaxy a look at Darth Vader.” 0 likes
“Good." The Emperor sat back. "And, tell me, what is your opinion of Lord Vader's handling of the occupation of Kashyyyk?" "He proved very capable, my lord. No one involved in the operation will soon forget his ... sense of commitment, shall we say?” 0 likes