1,000 Artist Journal Pages

1,000 Artist Journal Pages

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,353 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Over 1,000 journal pages presented in one beautiful full-color bookJournals offer their makers a safe place to dream, doodle, rant, and reinvent themselves. They offer viewers rich, visual inspiration. There is a fascination with these revealing and often beautiful pages of self-exploration and personal expression. Journals offer a tantalizing, voyeuristic view of an inter...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 1,000 Artist Journal Pages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Artist Journal Pages

Suzy
Ta-da! It;s one-and-a-half years since I first started reading this book. It has been on my art-supplies table the whole time (it became a sort of coffee-table book). Meagan got me this quirky book--1,000 pages of art-journal pages from different artists. It's a little oversized, half-way between hard and paper back, and in full color. It is a full-immersion book, like walking through an art museum dense with paintings that are so intriguing they swallow you up. I spent a lot of time with this b...more
Mejrmom
Excellent prompts for new or seasoned art journaler in the beginning, then, literally an art-gallery of artist journal pages from all over the world.
Beautifully done with great color quality.
Love the layout.
Lots of new artists to check out!

(um, I have a few pieces in the book too)... But really, I would have bought and loved it just the same!

Erinn Batykefer
I liked this book as an intro to the concept of art journaling-- basically the practice of keeping a visual diary. The journal pages themselves occupy most of the book, and some are stunning. But many are kind of boring, and overall, the text didn't seem to know quite what it wanted to be: a guide to the practice? If so, there is only one page with some half-hearted getting-started suggestions, and that doesn't seem to really cover it. A catalog of journal pages? Well, that certainly occupies th...more
Elaine D
i found this terribly inspirational. It was outstanding to find so much lovely art in one place and to think it came from personal journals. As I paged through it, I made notes of artists and techniques I wanted to try. I was a little disappointed I didn't know any of the artists though.
pure love.
Katy
Personally I found this book bright colourful and interesting, various styles and techniques from various artists, it gave me quite a few idea for what to do for a sketchbook project during the break between collage and University.

Yet I also found the book to become repetitive their were a few stand out pages, but somehow many of the pages seemed to just blend together as if and to be quite frank sometimes I couldn't tell one artist from another.

I must confess that this book has been sitting u...more
Bgordonsgirl
Thhis book is fabulous! If you are at all interested in keeping a journal, this book is full of inspiration. It consists of 1,000 journal pages from people all over the world. If you are interested in how people express themselves, this book will fascinate you. If you are interested in seeing how you "rate" as an artist, especially if you don't think of yourself as a full-fledged one yet, this is for you. Everyone I have shown this book to is impressed. It's a bit like a short-story book. One ca...more
Sonya
Great book!The perfect inspiration for new or experienced artists. I like the page of prompts at the front of the book. I have not used them yet, but they are great to see and think about what you may do with your pages or journal. I like that there are no rules and the book is not separated into categories of pages instead it is just a rich photo book for artists that work in all mediums. I strongly recommend this book for anyone, who loves beautiful artwork. I have had this book for about a ye...more
Pascale
This is probably a personal favorite among all published art journaling books. The author solicited artists from around the United States and even from as far as Brazil and Australia to send in examples of their journal art, and as a result, this full-color book is filled with great examples of absolutely amazing art journal pages. (My favorite pages are Art Velarde’s cartoon pages.)
Rachel Ann Brickner
This book is full of beautiful and interesting journal entries. I find it most useful to open up to pages randomly when struggling with writing and journaling and seeing what happens from there. A friend let me borrow it, so unfortunately I have to give it back to her, but I have a feeling I will be purchasing / coming back to it sometime in the near future.
Bea Turvey
Another compendium of artist's sketches from the US and Europe. It only notes the artist and country and it would have been nice to have had more info, but then the book would have been cumbersome to handle.
Another book to sit and gaze at in wonder...many hours are required to fully appreciate the work.
Hella
Schitterend boek met alleen maar afbeeldingen van bladzijden uit "Artist Journals," dagboeken waarin het leven met collages en schilderwerk wordt geïllustreerd.
Jessie
perusing actually. it's a visual rather than a literary experience.

i loved looking through this & will likely get my own copy. it is really inspiring to look at the personal, graphical ramblings of other creative minds. it has inspired me to take up journaling again & use it in a new way.
Crystal
It's so inspiring to look through these pages! Definitely a great source for journaling ideas. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that a few of the pages are repeated, sometimes not even crediting the correct artist, which bothered me a bit. :)
Ab
This book inspires me to artify my journals, in addition to just getting or making a journal/blank book to do up artsy style like these amazing pages!! I'm jealous of the creativity that just fills the pages ...
Catherine
Lots of examples of pages; but, not for one sitting. By the end it gets a bit repetitive. A few stood out and this book helped me focus on what was appealing and what wasn't about this format.
Ann Diaz
This is like Sabrina Ward Harrison's book 'Spilling Open', but add hundreds more artists to it and hundreds more pages. Awesome inspiration for journal keepers.
Brandi
Inspirational! I adore this book like my own child. Whenever I lack creative inspiration, I flip through this book for a little while and I am back on track.
Christina
This book has some amazingly beautiful and creative art journal pages. Now if I could just figure out how the artists and journalists made them....
Marie Murrell
I love books of artist's journals and buy many for the inspiration and widening of my artistic horizons. This one is chocolate for my eyes.
MaryAnn McK
omg, i got this the other day & it was exciting to see my very dear pals, lia k. & nancy b. in there!!! quite an inspirational read...
Monica
An excellent collection of inspiration. Plus there's artist contact info in the back for every one of the artists!
Embee
Yet another book I saw at the bookstore which fascinated me... I'm currently charged with the desire to be creative.
Marla
This is a book I return to often; I truly find others work inspirational when I create my own artwork.
Gina Lento
An artists' picture book.... This book is eye candy for those of us that are hooked on sketching!
Mikaelyn
I was really hoping this would kick start me into to keeping a journal again. Did not.
Brigette
A visual treat. Some of the pages are mediocre, but others are truly fabulous.
BookShorts  MovingStories.TV
Inspiring! I've done three since receiving this book as a gift :)
Teresa
Very inspirational! Want my journal to look this artistic.
Rebecca
Great variety of pages to spur on your creativity.
Sloane
I love to flip through this inspiring book.
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
I am an author, book designer, lettering illustrator, and an avid doodler and art journaler. After seven years of art directing magazines including America West Airlines Magazine, I decided to design books from my home studio. I design coffee table books, gift books, cookbooks, and kids books, and my design work has been included in Print’s Regional Design Annual 2002 and also has been recognized...more
More about Dawn DeVries Sokol...
Art Doodle Love: A Journal of Self-Discovery Doodle Diary: Art Journaling for Girls Doodle Sketchbook: Art Journaling for Boys The Doodle Circle: A Fill-In Journal for BFFs to Share Doodle Diary: Art Journaling for Girls (NONE)