Start by marking “The Briton and the Dane (The Special Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Briton and the Dane (The Special Edition)

The Briton and the Dane (The Briton and the Dane #1)

After the last of Rome’s legions left Britannia to the mercy of the invading barbarian hordes and before the age of chivalry, when knighthood was in flower and troubadours sang of courtly love, there lived a King whose love for his people and the land left a legacy coveted by his descendants who sought to wear his crown.

Travel back in time to the late Ninth Century, to the
Nook, 0 pages
Published May 21st 2011 by Mary Ann Bernal, via Smashwords (first published November 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Briton and the Dane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Briton and the Dane

Rick F.
Aug 20, 2011 Rick F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the last of Rome's legions left Britannia to the mercy of the invading barbarian hordes and before the age of chivalry, when knighthood was in flower and troubadours sang of courtly love, there lived a King whose love for his people and the land left a legacy coveted by his descendants who sought to wear his crown.

Mary Ann Bernal has proven herself to be at the very top of historical adventure writers. The Briton And The Dane is simply magnificent- transporting the reader back to the days
One-Click
Audiobook

This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of AudiobookBlast.com

Narration - Sabastian Lockwood - Hot Mess (but it's not entirely his fault!) There are SOOOO many character's in this book. I felt like it was a little schizophrenic at times. This narrator has a fabulous voice, but because of the need/his attempts to create so many character's some of the voices were a little out there and over dramatic. With ext
Brenda Perlin
Dec 30, 2013 Brenda Perlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Briton and The Dane is the first book in a trilogy that takes place in the ninth century. This book caught my attention right away. It was easy to get swept away into the drama and intrigue. I was amassed over all the deception that took place during those time periods. This book also has a very seductive side which made the story even more captivating and entertaining for me.

I love how Mary ann Bernal writes. She is wildly talented and has a real gift for telling a colorful story. The char
Christoph Fischer
"The Briton and the Dane" by Mary Ann Bernal is a very well written and researched historical romance that is as educational as it is entertaining. The author portrays life in the 9th century with splendid detail and a sense of authenticity. I learned a lot about the times, the characters and the complexities of life in Britain at the time.
The romance part is believable and flows smoothly, the characters are complex and keep your interest. There is fighting, action, drama and historical value. A
Leslie Reed
I started reading this series because I am hooked on "The Vikings" television series. I see many similarities and am enjoying the series. This first book started off great! I did feel it lacked momentum in the middle. It is hard to remember all of the names and secret family and lineage. I hope the story picks up interest again in the second book. I am not ready to give up the series yet because there is enough intrigue from the many storey lines in the plot.
Jo Woolfardis | Infinite Variety Books
Supremely disappointed in myself and the book. It seemed to drag at the beginning for no reason, with pages upon pages of conversion. There was little world-building, aside from some clichéd character and location description. Whilst I am finding I enjoy historical fiction a great deal, and the Saxon period is intriguing, I found this to be a run-of-the-mill fantasyesque story about forbidden love and political intrigue. Perhaps for another time.
Barbara
Mar 11, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time novelist Mary Ann Bernal has deftly trasported us back 1200 years to the early days of England. She used her knowledge of history ot create a wonderful tale of love and intrigue. I was engrossed in the the story from page 1 and my interest continued right to the bitter end. Her characters showed life, exhibiting a wide range of emotions. I can harldy wait for the sequel. Sign me up now!
Ryan
Oct 09, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get into this book. Read about 20% and just had to put it down. Hoped it would have more historical fiction qualities but felt more like a cheesy fantasy romance with very one dimensional characters. Just didn't do it for me.
Sherry Ellis
Jul 11, 2011 Sherry Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Briton and the Dane is a novel that takes readers back to the time of King Alfred the Great. It is a time of rivalry between the Christian King of Wessex and the pagan Viking, King Guthrum. As the story begins, Gwyneth, daughter of Lord Richard (Buhr of Wareham under King Alfred's rule), meets and cares for a wounded Danish prince, Erik. The two fall in love. Things get a little complicated when Gwyneth realizes she loves the enemy. It gets even more complicated when Erik's past is revealed. ...more
Jenn (Booksessed)
Aug 08, 2011 Jenn (Booksessed) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Mary Ann emailed me about this book I was interested obviously because it was historical fiction, but also because she made mention of her love for novels like Ivanhoe. I love sweeping epics with tons of characters and story arcs, and that is what Briton and the Dane offers.

There are so many characters and story lines to draw readers in right from the beginning. I wish I could go into a lot of detail and gush about my favorite characters, but the list in lengthy and it would give away so ma
Nicki Markus
Mar 12, 2015 Nicki Markus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-historical
I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel, but in the end I really enjoyed it.
The story was set in the Anglo-Saxon/Viking period, which is one that has always interested me anyway.
I found the characters engaging and the main heroine was likeable.
The one issue I found with the book was the spoken language. The author has chosen to write her dialogue with a grammar more suited to the perod than to the modern day. This would be fine except reading it, with the word 'be' in nearly every sentence,
Celine
Jan 06, 2015 Celine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway, but I wish they'd given me something with more fantasy or science fiction in it. While this book may be interesting to history fans -- with the fact that it features real people who lived at the time going through fictional events -- I'm having a hard time getting through the book. I find it a bit boring, and I believe it's been self-published because of some grammar errors.

The way the book is written is a bit distant. Names are used constantly, less '
Elisabeth Marrion
What a great read. I did not know what to expect and was transported into the 9th Century England from the very first page. This is for lovers of history, or simply for lovers of a good book. I loved it.
I loved the intrigue, the love, the romance and betrayal , at the time of Alfred the great, roaming in my very front garden. So to speak. All here in rural Hampshire/Dorset. I could easily identify with the main Character Gwyneth, innocent, yet feisty. Trying to break the norm of what was expecte
Molly
Jun 11, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very educating and entertaining read. I know little of the time and learned a lot about the complexities of life in Britain in the 9th century.
The book is all the more enjoyable as it has very engaging characters and well written chemistry between Gwyneth and Eric.
Far from being just a historical romance, there is action, suspense and plenty of well researched details. I'm glad to learn that this is part of a trilogy / series, I want more!
Easily 5 stars
Diane Spaulding
Mar 30, 2010 Diane Spaulding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed The Briton and the Dane. From beginning to end it is filled with romance, treachery, and suspense. I felt as though I could have been right there with Gwyneth and Erik. Mary Ann did a great job of taking the reader back in time to the days of King Alfred with great detail. I did not want to put the book down! She leaves you hanging with anticipation for the sequel.
Margaret Arvanitis
Since I enjoy reading about medieval times this title intrigued me. Mary Ann Bernal is a talented teller of history and showed it in her first book, The Briton and the Dane. She took me back to the days of Alfred the Great- bringing to life believable characters who took the story forward. Her research of the times seems flawless. It kept my interest until the end and I wanted to read more.
Natalie Lee
Aug 15, 2011 Natalie Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book really loved the style of writing as well, and my husband has just started reading this book also.
☆~Nels~ Death by reading~★
Its a interesting book, that left me wanting the next one, but it did get a little bit confusing at some parts! but it was still a good book!!!
Cheryl Gocken
Cheryl Gocken rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
D. Lynn
D. Lynn rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Mary Ann
Nov 30, 2011 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Heather Arters
Heather Arters rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Julie B.
Julie B. rated it did not like it
Nov 27, 2014
Madeleine
not read yet, made a mistake on selecting
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
  • The Seahawk's Sanctuary
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The Highest Stakes
  • By Eastern Windows (Macquarie, #1)
  • Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress (The Stregoni Sequence #1)
  • Man Against the Future: 17 Topflight Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Yarns.
  • Aldric & Anneliese
  • Bombshells
  • The Emperor's Agent (Numinous World, #5)
  • Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • Bewitching Kisses
  • What Kind of Loser Indie Publishes, and How Can I Be One, Too?
  • Northwoods Deep
  • Another Bad-Dog Book: Tales of Life, Love, and Neurotic Human Behavior
  •  Drop By Drop: A Thriller
  • Retirement Can Be Murder (A Jake Russo Mystery, #1)
  • Capitol Reflections

Let your words shine

Mary Ann Bernal is a passionate supporter of the United States military, having been involved with letter writing campaigns and other support programs since Operation Desert Storm. She has appeared on The Morning Blend television show hosted by KMTV, the CBS television affiliate in Omaha, and was interviewed by the Omaha World-Herald for her volunteer work.
More about Mary Ann Bernal...

The Briton and the Dane (6 books)
  • The Briton and the Dane: Birthright