Start by marking “Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time” as Want to Read:
Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time

Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  3,070 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
As his millions of fans know from watching him on Food Network, Tyler likes to rock the kitchen with big, bold flavors and sophisticated yet accessible fare. Whether you’re dishing up a family favorite like spaghetti and meatballs or pulling out all the stops with a succulent tenderloin steak topped with spicy crab salad, Tyler Florence believes every meal can–and should–b ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Clarkson Potter

Nathaniel
Apr 12, 2010 Nathaniel rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book after seeing Tyler make an absolutely mouth-watering looking fried chicken on his program. When someone bought this off my Amazon wishlist later on, I was hoping that we would at least have that one recipe, plus a whole lot of other good ones. I was wrong. The recipes in this book are awful. Many are flat out inedible (macaroni and cheese topped with onions and peas comes readily to mind), and few have obviously been tested before publication. The directions for mo ...more
Catherine Woodman
In my heavy FoodChannel viewing days I was never a very big fan of his--he does ahve a really nice flair with pulling fairly inexperienced cooks through a meal that they hope to pull off--sometimes bringing the menu down to earth and making it very easy to follow--and the cookbook reflects this talent--I would recommend it for someone who wants to make a few simple things but has no talent in the kitchen.
Lori
Mar 22, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
My sister gave this cookbook to my dad for Christmas one year. He must not have tried to make anything from it or he would not have given it to me! I have made several things from it and have not had a failure yet.

The ingredients are all easy to find and the recipes delicious. I've made dishes from it for my dad and he has asked where I got the recipe. I laugh when I tell him they all came from the book he rejected and sent my way!

This cookbook won't let you down.
Ariel Celeste
Mar 25, 2010 Ariel Celeste rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
While I generally despise the idea of the celebrity chef, I have used the Delaware County Public Library to explore the world a bit. While Tyler's book has absolutely nothing vegan going on, I did pick up some great tips and learn of new foods that I look forward to experimenting with. Here's a few: Carmelized onions w/ olives, buttered cabbage and carmelized apples; fenugreek in a vinaigarette; and quince paste. YUM!
Morgan
Jun 02, 2009 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I love this cookbook. Tyler is one of my fav's on the Food Network. He seems to make food more, well, approachable. His meals are always beautiful and "fancy", but it's nothing more than good quality, fresh ingredients prepared in innovative ways. I've made and loved so many receipes in this book. Each time I look through it, I chide myself for not having made more of them. A great find for cooks.
allison
Jun 21, 2007 allison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chefs
This cook book is fantastic. I have a major crush on Tyler. And I love everything that he makes. He keeps things simple yet creative. A lot of his recipes are old school italian cooking with a hint of modern flare. He is a big fan of procuitto and so am I. He also does a lot of sweet/savory dishes which are great for your taste buds.
Ashley Katsuyama
May 06, 2010 Ashley Katsuyama rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
This book is full of beautiful pictures, and written in a very approachable way. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating is that I found that many of the recipes didn't come out as tasty as I would have expected from Tyler. A lot of effort goes into most recipes to impart flavor, and many fell short of the desired result.
Liz
Jun 04, 2008 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This went back to the library yesterday. We made the crab salad with avocado and the shrimp bisque, and every night Charles and I would have the same conversation:

Me: Do you want the shrimp bisque for dinner?
C: Not really...
Me: Yeah, me either...

The food wasn't bad, per se, but we didn't want to eat it. Ever.

Andrea
Mar 26, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it
This is a great companion piece to his tv show of the same name. Tyler Florence takes his favorite dishes (mac and cheese, spaghetti with clams, fried chicken, etc) and kicks them up a notch. The pictures alone are worth the money and the recipes look fairly easy- nothing too pretentious here.
Missy
Nov 27, 2008 Missy rated it liked it
I thought that this one was going to end up as one of my enjoyable-to-skim-but-not-really-going-to-make-anything-from-it cookbooks, and then I hit the dessert section. My post-it note bookmarks are entirely clustered there and they're rather crowded.
Barbara
Feb 24, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction, library
3.8 but not 4 (because if it were 4 I'd have to go buy it. Got it from the library). I copied several recipes and particularly look foward to making Lemon Curry Chicken and The Ultimate Baked Beans.
Jane
Apr 21, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cooks
One of the our go-to cookbooks in the Hahn household. Never steers us wrong, easy, simple directions and well put together meals that make you look like the pro. Great gift to others who like to cook and are confident in the kitchen.
Monique
May 05, 2015 Monique rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Many of the noodle recipes I've tired and my family loves them. Now I will say that most of the other recipes are too intricate to make after work. I love Tyler on the Food Network but I have to admit that this was not my favorite cookbook.
Ryon
Jan 14, 2009 Ryon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Another amazing cookbook in the "quick and easy" vein. My favorite recipe in this book is the one-pot ratatouille recipe. When a potluck comes around I invariably get asked to cook it. This book makes you feel like a pro in no time at all!
Marianne
Oct 27, 2008 Marianne rated it liked it
I've already covered the fact that I'm a cookbook geek. These recipes LOOK too hard for me! I enjoyed the book, the photography was beautiful and the presentation was impeccable. I just won't use it.
Jane Anne
Mar 31, 2015 Jane Anne rated it really liked it
Even though this guy salivates a lot of tv when he's cooking, I still like him and he does cook brilliantly simple food.
Tanya
Oct 14, 2010 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-bag
I love Tyler's recipes - simple goodness if you ask me. Of course you put his cutie pie face on the cover of a book and I'm there ... honestly excellent recipes!
Ian
Aug 20, 2013 Ian rated it it was ok
It 's better than two stars, and there are some really nice recipes here, but they are certainly not the ultimate. Find it in a discount bin? Snap it up
Samantha P
Feb 18, 2008 Samantha P rated it it was amazing
I have made some of the most fabulous meals from this book. And he is the son-in-law of a friend of mine, so I'm pushing this one ;) Great photos, beautiful book - I have it right on my counter!
Bridget
May 11, 2008 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful cookbook and the recipes look like they are the ultimate! Still need an autograph for this one. Tyler, please answer my requests! :)
Heather
Well done

Liked the recipe selection. Simple recipes that seem like winners. Looking forward to making a few particularly the chicken dishes.
Janel Warner
Everything looks so yummy, easy and not a lot of ingredients. I love his spaghetti and meatballs. I make them about once a month.
Joy Pitman
Joy Pitman rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Debbie Robinson Henderson
Debbie Robinson Henderson rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Paloma
Paloma rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Melissa Smith
Melissa Smith rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2014
Melissa O'connell
Melissa O'connell rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Doretha Burton
Doretha Burton rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Food Network Favorites
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
  • Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • Get Togethers: Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • The Naked Chef Takes Off
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners
  • Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone: Recipes to Put You in My Favorite Mood
  • Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table