Start by marking “Reflections” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Reflections

Barbara Bush

Reflections

"There is a myth in the United States -- you've heard it many times. It says that all American mothers hope that their child will grow up to be President of the United States. In my case that certainly is a myth. I never dreamed that any of ours would; there were days when I hoped they'd just grow up!...But on January 20, 2001...there we were sitting on the west side of th
Published (first published October 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Reflections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reflections

Becky
Nov 22, 2010 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
Barbara Bush sounds like a sweet lady, but just wasn't too into reading this book. I really wanted to though. I think I got disinterested because half of the people they were visiting/coming to visit (ok I'm sure more like 75 percent of these people) I had no clue who they were talking about. Sure I could have looked them up, but then I would have spent more time on reading about her visitors, than the book itself. Writing is not terrible, but just didn't interest me as much as I wanted it to.
Elizabeth
Apr 05, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed reading about what life is like after the presidency, you think after having the stress of running the country you would want to slow down and relax but this was not the case for the Bushes. This book shows the love and support that she has for her family and that she would be there for anything. I also enjoyed reading about all of the work she did with her Literacy programs, I did not realize that she focused on the whole family and not just the child and helped parents get their GED' ...more
Jen
Sep 20, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
I really enjoyed this book. I think I picked it up at a library book sale a couple of years ago, and finally started reading it. Once I started, it was a quick and enjoyable read. It covers Barabara Bush's life between George H.W. Bush leaving office and George W. Bush taking the office. She candidly admits to being biased when it comes to her family, and how blessed she is, but she's also warm-hearted, entertaining, and could be anyone's grandmother. She (obviously) loves literacy and reading, ...more
Marita
Apr 30, 2008 Marita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biog
This book together with Mary Slawson's March enrichement mtg. on journals inspired me to start a book diary of my own. This goodread site might evolve into my new one?? Anyway, I was very impressed that Mrs. Bush mentioned books she was reading when she reflected on her life. This struct a cord with me since I do spend a lot of my time reading. What I love about goodreads is that I can put books into selves- I now have a quick way of seeing where I've been mentally so now I can control better wh ...more
Lori
Picked this up at the Bush Presidential library this past weekend where I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her early life & excerpts from her diary and letters which made me want to read more. I've been a fan of hers since she told her husband's handlers she would do anything they wanted except loose weight or die her hair. Who can't love a woman like that?!

This has become my "between books" book.
Kellie
My favorite Barbara Bush quote..."AT the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not wining one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.
This book was enjoyable. I wish it could have had a little less "we went here and we went there" and a little more "I think"
I am happy to have read this though.
Nancy
Jan 05, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the whole, an interesting and sometimes amusing book. However it gets bogged down with names of her friends, personal as well as White House acquaintances. The details of trips and experiences seem repetitive and boring at times. What really comes across in this book is Mrs. Bush's extraordinary love of her family and the pride she takes in their achievements.
Megowen
Jan 14, 2011 Megowen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Intelligent readers with a sense of family and humor.
Reading this books was like having lunch with a dear friend. Recipes, books read, where we went on our summer vacation, and all year round. Sharing grief, worry, and fun. Mrs. Bush is a real person, no airs, no false front. And she has a marvelous sense of humor. What you see/read is what you get. I enjoyed this book immensely.
Dawn
Mar 31, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Barbara Bush's tales of the White House years, and I was pleasantly surprised that she even managed to work in some favorite family recipes into her book. She brings a unique perspective to GHWB's presidency, and speaks honestly of how it feels to be the mother of a president as well. Great if you're a fan of the family; otherwise, not recommended.
Dave
Apr 26, 2010 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriging. Barbara Bush is warm, down to earth, witty and a good writer. The book follows the Bush's busy life after the White House years from trying to cook dinners without the aid of kitchen help for the first time in 12 years to traveling around the world to meet old friends to hosting family gatherings at the Kennebunkport compound. Very interesting. Very open.
Amelia
Jun 08, 2016 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the audio book. Listening to Mrs. Bush's book actually made me nostalgic for the 2000 presidential election. Oh how far we have fallen. I digress, I now am extremely jealous of Barbara Bush. She has led a truly exciting life, yet seems to be a kind woman of great faith who is truly thankful for everything she has been given in life.
Tracy
Jan 13, 2009 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. President Bush and Barbara led such busy, interesting lives after leaving the White House. It was inspiring. As an added bonus, Barbara shares the books she was reading during these years.
Mary Naylor
Jun 11, 2013 Mary Naylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her candor and humor. She makes no excuses that she loves her life, her husband, family, country and God. It is so refreshing to read such a positive book--and it is so interesting all she does.
Bev
Feb 19, 2008 Bev rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to read a woman's perspective of the political world. Barbara Bush is so interesting. I admire her as a person totally secure in who she is, white hair and all! It's fun to read about their close, extended family. And she gives LOTS of suggestions of books to read.
Barbara
I've learned what a gracious, busy, and literature-loving person Barbara Bush is and I identify with her warm mother-heart.
Tami Greaney
Nov 03, 2008 Tami Greaney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this too - it makes me wish that she'd write more
Tara M
Mar 22, 2015 Tara M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved 43's book about 41. I think I was hoping for something similar. While I greatly admire Mrs. Bush this book was a bit too dry.
Tahlia
Nov 27, 2011 Tahlia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classy lady!
Britton
Sep 22, 2012 Britton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought it was kind of cute, and this made the Bush family kind of endearing. But she trivialized everything, and I was disappointed with how petty she was towards political rivals.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a down to earth woman with a not so down to earth lifestyle.
Rae
Apr 05, 2008 Rae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir
In spite of the fact that Barbara Bush is a big-time name-dropper, I enjoyed this look into her family. I especially liked knowing what she was reading!
Sue
What a wonderful book talking about the Bush family, but mostly how it is seen through Barbara Bush's eyes.

I wished the book hadn't ended.
Helen
Jul 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very interesting, still very active.
Toesnorth's mom
biased, we like a lot of the same authors
Naomi
Jun 11, 2010 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok..not my favorite book by Barbara Bush. I thought is was kind of boring compared to her other books that I have read.
Forest Duplessis
Forest Duplessis rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
May 08, 2008
Weloytty
Weloytty rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2008
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Blaire Brown
Blaire Brown rated it liked it
May 06, 2017
  • The Long Goodbye: Memories of My Father
  • Edith Kermit Roosevelt: Portrait of a First Lady
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Laura Bush: An Intimate Portrait of the First Lady
  • Florence Harding: The First Lady, The Jazz Age, And The Death Of America's Most Scandalous President
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • Growing Up Again: Life, Love and Oh Yeah, Diabetes
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • An Honest President: The Life and Presidencies of Grover Cleveland
  • RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon
  • Ronnie and Nancy: Their Path to the White House--1911 to 1980
  • An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln

Barbara Pierce Bush is the wife of the 41st President of the United States, George H. W. Bush, making her First Lady of the United States from 1989 to 1993. Preceding that, she was the Second Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989 while her husband was Vice President to Ronald Reagan. She is the mother of U
More about Barbara Bush...

“At the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.” 23 likes
“AT the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not wining one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.” 2 likes