Start by marking “Pints and Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter” as Want to Read:
Pints and Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter

Pints and Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter

Recipes for tasty cocktails and delicious hors d'oeuvres are not the only things that you-ll find in Pints and Purls. For the social knitter who likes to have one drink (or a few!), there are a variety of portable projects such as drink cozies and soft scarves that feature simple-to-follow patterns, plus tips and tricks for fixing mistakes should you have a bit too much wh ...more
Unknown Binding, 162 pages
Published May 27th 2014 by Northlight (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pints and Purls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pints and Purls

RH Walters
Mar 14, 2012 RH Walters rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
None of the patterns appealed to me in this book, except for the bellywarmer, whose pattern I couldn't make work drinking or sober. Yes, I'm bitter.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Some really interesting projects in here, a few newer ideas. The pages are not glossy which makes it easier to read a pattern under direct light but also makes the book less durable.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This is a rad book full of very cool/interesting projects. I will probably make a few things. Liked that on page 54 the chick with beer cans in her hair as curlers.
Tabitha Beck
Nov 11, 2009 Tabitha Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool, fibre
Bibliothekerin
I just read the other reviews for this book and it occurred to me that knitting in a bar really isn't such a radical idea; I'd bet that Grans all over the UK and Ireland have been taking their knitting to the pub for decades. ;)

With regard to the book's patterns, I really liked the Raspberry Wheat Ale Messenger Bag. It's photographed in solid red, so I wonder if that's why someone commented that there was nothing in this book for guys. Don't younger guys still carry messenger bags? Maybe it didn
Katy Wight
Update - I actually did read through most of this book. The knitting designs are nothing special and I will probably never knit any of them. The overall book design was done well (but the wood grain background on the pages sometimes made it difficult to read) and some of the tips and techniques were quite relevant (how to get different types of drink stains out of your knitting for instance). But, I was disappointed the theme wasn't carried as far as it could have been in the actual writing. The ...more
Rat de bibliothèque
I found out this book from one of the authors herself, Libby Bruce, Co-owner of WonderKnit in Columbus, Ohio.

The book includes some great patterns. Popular with the drunken ravelers on ravelry is the "drunken sweater", which many members cannot wait to begin knitting.

I myself, cannot wait to begin on a wrap that is within the first pages that was designed by Karida Collins.

And if you're ever in Columbus I'm sure Libby would be more than happy to sign your book if you'd like. Just look for the la
Johnida
Dec 30, 2009 Johnida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts, knitting
This is definitely the hippest knitting book I own. Thankfully, Patrick has an eye for beer pints, even while wandering through the knitting store in Mesa. I like the authors' rating system, using something akin to "You can drink lots of beer and still knit this" for easier patterns, to "One beer limit or you'll really botch it" ratings for harder ones (symbolized by pint symbols, etc. in the book). There are some cute sweaters I have my eye on for future projects.
Lisa
Jun 24, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a whole lot of actual beer talk here, mostly just knitting. There are enough desirable projects to justify the book purchase though. What with free access to patterns on the web and easy purchase of individual patterns via Ravelry, etc., it takes some doing to get me to commit to a book of patterns. This one is fun though, and has some great and newish looking pattern ideas (six-pack holder, my next knitted Christmas gift!)
Cissa
Apr 15, 2016 Cissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it's a pretty good selection of take-along patterns- meaning not hugely complex and easy to work on while in company- the patterns themselves are not all that exciting.

Many are very useful! but they do not look to me like being fun to kit; they are more intended for ease of knitting.

I do like a couple of the bags- knitted then felted- and some leg warmers.
Carrie
Apr 17, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
While I do not think I would ever be bold enough to knit in a bar, I really like several of the patterns in this book and think that the tips are helpful. I could see myself working on some of these projects on the bus or other places where space is tight. The pictures are also quite nice and give a good idea of what the finished project will look like.
Catherine
Sep 28, 2009 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this knitting book. Even better they have put a cute twist on the level of difficulty by level of intoxication. I was surprised to find out after purchasing 5 copies (4 for gifts and 1 for me) that one of the authors owns a local yarn shop in Columbus.
Mckinley
Niche focus to sell their book and I think it works for marketing. I also liked several of their designs. Mostly for women with a few objects (wine bottle and beer cozies etc.). Would have liked to see a design for guys.
Lisa Diven
Jul 26, 2013 Lisa Diven rated it really liked it
This is a fun knitting book with a variety of funky projects (socks, sweaters, scarfs, beer cozy, wine bottle sweater, six-pack carrier, etc.). I completed the "Hangover Lap Blanket" and displayed it on Ravelry. I may start a pints and purls knitting club of my own.
Val
Nov 27, 2012 Val rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was cute. I doubt I'll ever make any of the patterns in the books, but it contained some helpful tips on fixing mistakes due to booze. I liked the rating system of difficulty by # of beers. Personally, I've given up trying to knit drunk.
Kerry
Dec 21, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: get-creative
This one is okay. Cute stuff for when you need a quick fix :)
Abbey
Sep 13, 2009 Abbey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some fun patterns and it was pretty neat to read about knitting in bars (I only came close when I had a timeline to finish a project and was knitting while tailgating at a Phillies game)
jenny scott
Apr 25, 2012 jenny scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
it's fun to read and full of helpful tips and tricks! like how to pick up dropped stitches!
Katie
Jun 20, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great patterns. Love the layout
Lucy
Oct 25, 2009 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO fun! Great for a group of friends that enjoy knitting.
SallyHP
Oct 07, 2009 SallyHP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: she-s-crafty
I love this book so far! Fun and funky patterns that aren't too out there...stuff I'll actually make and love for myself and my friends.
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Shirley Mortensen
Shirley Mortensen rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Sarah Hehn
Sarah Hehn rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Pia
Pia rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2009
H.S. Leigh
H.S. Leigh rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
  • Pretty in Punk: 25 Punk, Rock, and Goth Knitting Projects
  • Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • DomiKNITrix: Whip Your Knitting Into Shape
  • Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves
  • French Girl Knits
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • Inspired to Knit: Creating Exquisite Handknits
  • Knit. Sock. Love.
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • Knitter's handbook