Start by marking “Ferrets for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Ferrets for Dummies

Ferrets for Dummies (For Dummies)

Thinking about getting a ferret? Want to make sure you're giving the ferret you already have the best possible care? Ferrets For Dummies helps you decide whether a ferret is for you and give your little fellah a healthy, happy home. It's packed with practical information on feeding, housing, health maintenance, and medical care. This friendly, plain-English guide gives you ...more
Published April 4th 2011 by For Dummies (first published October 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ferrets for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferrets for Dummies

Jen
Dec 13, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book, but one major oversight made me want to give this book one star. If you own ferrets, for the love of God, give them a treat when they use the litter box. The author suggests not to do this because they will pretend to poop in order to get treats -- which would you rather have, ferrets pretending to use the litter box to get treats, or ferret poop all over your house? I now have both. =]
Kristen
I had previously owned 3 ferrets, who were quite a wonderful business to have. Now that I am a Stepmom, I am considering getting a ferret for my son. I called the local ferret rescue and spoke with the woman for about an hour discussing what we were looking for and what she had. She informed me that she would feel much happier if I purchased this book and read it with my son since it has been over 10 years since I have owned a ferret.

I purchased the book used and my 7 year old and I sat down and
Jaguar
Jul 23, 2014 Jaguar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never owned a ferret, nor have I ever really wanted one…but after attending a zoo program with a ferret, I like them. But don’t necessarily want one. I’ll stick to dogs, cats, and turtles. But I really like to learn information about animals and stuff, so this was one I decided to pick up. Now this is the first ferret information book I have ever read, and this is my opinion on the book. There may be better ones out there, but for now, here’s my thoughts: I think this had information for ...more
Rena Sherwood
Jan 01, 2015 Rena Sherwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
If you've ever wondered what life is like - or should be like - with a pet ferret, pick up a copy of "Ferrets For Dummies" (For Dummies Publishing, 2000). This is part of the ever-present Dummies series of yellow and black covered books that pop up from libraries to supermarket check-out lines. Unlike many other "Dummies" books, this one is not written by a talented writer, but also has some color photographs. The book recently went through a second edition in 2007, but this review covers the 20 ...more
Breanne Katherine
Mar 23, 2011 Breanne Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
I just got two new ferrets whom are amazing yet quite a handful. I have never owned a ferret in my life before and so I began reading this book.

I found it very informative on a variety of ferret topics from grooming and diet, to playtime and naptime.

It's been very helpful for myself to understand the needs of my ferrets and to become the best ferret caretaker ever!

Plus, Kim's style of writing and her evident passion and love for these little fuzzballs is prominent and well delivered!
Lauren
I had grabbed this book when I got my first ferret, and it had helped me immensely. I honestly had no prior knowledge of the critters before hand, so I read it cover to cover. Learned about their diet and what to look for ingredient wise when choosing their food, best type of bedding, cages, toys to play with, hygiene, health care.. Very highly recommend getting this book if you are considering getting a ferret.
Rani
Jun 05, 2013 Rani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very helpful and also gave me many different options when it came to how to set up, where to buy, food and care. They give you many ideas as to where to buy things (such as websites and stores) and also gives you a background on the species which was surprisingly helpful. The content was simple and easy to understand while still giving you all the information you need. If you are a ferret owner or own a ferret (beginner or not) I would recommended this book.
angela
Dec 14, 2010 angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a ferret or those thinking about getting one
Shelves: reference
a very well written book that outlines the specific care of these beautiful animals. i have two ferrets and i cant tell you how much this book has been a god send. i would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about or has a fuzzy. definitely worth the money.
Sirdarksol
There is some good information in the book. Unfortunately, the craft is poor. Poor grammar and spelling abounds, and the book uses a lot of lingo. For example, ferrets are less often referred to as "ferrets" in the book they are referred to as cute nicknames such as "carpet shark."
Brittany ♥♥~Proud Hufflepuff and supporter of S.P.E.W. ~♥♥
I've had ferrets for about a year now and even after that long, I found this book to be very helpful with my new kit. He was quite the biter and I was looking to make him stop before he gets any older. This book has definitely given me new ideas to try that I wasn't aware of before!
Pj
Mar 17, 2011 Pj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good start off point to gaining the knowledge needed to own a ferret. Widely available and fairly cheap. Although it is written from an American perspective and some of the practices mentioned are frowned upon here in the UK! Removal of scent glands wtf. Feeding of raisins?????
Alexandra Kocik
Read this while considering purchasing my ferret, Skeever. Now continues to be flipped through when it comes to changing food or litter brands and ensure something he's dragging under the sofa isn't poisonous to him. Best dummies book I've ever purchased.
Sheila Myers
Jan 16, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pets
The books for dummies are always packed with good information about the topic they cover. I highly recommend this one for anyone who is thinking about getting a ferret as a pet.
Tina
Jun 07, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pet-guides
This is the best book available on owning ferrets. The author came out with an updated edition in 2007.
Kristi
Jul 19, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book ever! A necessity for ferret lovers!
Cecile
Jan 10, 2008 Cecile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive owner's manual that covers everything you need to know about our weasely little friends.
Laurel
Jan 11, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All you ever needed to know about ferrets and more. Good reading material for the future-ferret owner.
Oct 14, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitive book on caring for carpet sharks.
Glenda
Apr 23, 2015 Glenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has made me even more excited for the world of Ferret ownership. I believe this book will be a great reference. It appears to be well organized and written in an easy to understand tone.
Katie
Oct 22, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read, and I feel a little more prepared for ferret ownership than when I started! (Apparently what motivates me to finish a book is the promise of a pet)
Michele
May 02, 2012 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful
Gretchen
Oct 23, 2008 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me with SSSSOOOOOOO much! Loved it.
Professor_D_Cobb
Wow. What incredible insight.
Hill
Dec 29, 2007 Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody wit Ferrets
This is the best ferret book I have found. Very informative.
Rosie C
Aug 31, 2012 Rosie C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most informative book about ferrets that I have ever read.
Amber
Nov 22, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-have reference if you own ferrets.
Rebekah Tufano
Rebekah Tufano rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Laur
Laur rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
nigel etheridge
nigel etheridge rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Marissa Rojas
Marissa Rojas rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: Ferrets For Dummies by Kim Schilling 5 6 Apr 27, 2015 11:23AM
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Horses For Dummies
  • Kittens For Dummies
  • Air Ferrets Aloft (The Ferret Chronicles, #1)
  • Ireland (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • James Herriot's Yorkshire
  • Pocket Dictionary of Signing, Revised and Expanded
  • Shakespeare For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
  • Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Nordic Runes: Understanding, Casting, and Interpreting the Ancient Viking Oracle
  • Calculus for Dummies
  • The Wolverine Way
  • Lycanthia: or The Children of Wolves
  • War Horse (Newmarket Pictorial Moviebook)
  • Puppies For Dummies
  • Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies