Start by marking “Why Do We Baptize Infants? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)” as Want to Read:
Why Do We Baptize Infants? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)

Why Do We Baptize Infants? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)

Published January 1st 2007 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Why Do We Baptize Infants?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do We Baptize Infants?

Shawn Paterson
Jan 08, 2016 Shawn Paterson rated it really liked it
Very good for what it is — a short pamphlet for Presbyterian church members (and other paedobaptists). Still have a few questions, but obviously I wasn't expecting all of my objections to be answered in such a short treatment. However, it certainly gave a decent overview.
Mark Ward
Nov 26, 2012 Mark Ward rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
A Baptist can't give three stars to a book, even a good one, arguing for infant baptism. But if all I were evaluating was clarity and brevity, Chapell might actually get four stars. His thesis is simple: "We baptize infants because we believe that the Bible teaches us to do so." (5)

Chapell begins by explaining the "covenant of faith" (20) God made with Abraham and arguing for its continuing validity:

A key concept in the New Testament is that all of God's people (Jew or Gentile—past or present) a
Michial
Aug 20, 2012 Michial rated it it was amazing
The Bible is one book with one Savior, one people and one church. The children of believers have always received the sign of salvation, even while unsaved; it was circumcision in the Old and Baptism in the New. While the signs have changed the administration of them to the children of believers has not been repealed in the New. As a matter of fact Peter reiterated the Abrahamic Covenant administration on the day of Pentecost when he announced baptism. The promise is for us and our children. ...more
Corby H
Oct 27, 2016 Corby H rated it it was amazing
Fantastic little booklet clarifying God's everlasting promise to his covenant people.
David
Apr 07, 2013 David rated it liked it
Having recently become a member of a PCA church, this topic was interesting to my anabaptist self. One thing I appreciate about the tradition I find myself a part of is the (at first alarming and then refreshing) vast amount of hearty discussion behind each facet of understanding within the tradition. So it is easy to access a deeper understanding on a topic without having to reinvent the wheel myself.

I think Bryan Chapell analysis was pretty cogent, and was kind of awe-inspiring, actually. Awe-
Deborah-Ruth
Apr 19, 2016 Deborah-Ruth rated it it was ok
Coming from an ecclesiastic tradition that practices adult baptism only, I picked up this book in the hopes that it would give me a deeper understanding as to why some churches baptise infants. It was helpful in this regard, although I am still not convinced that there is any Scriptural validity to baptising a child. I liked the layout of the book and it was fairly well written; but I found the author's arguments to be weak and I also felt like he proof-texted a lot (using examples from ...more
Audra
Aug 09, 2010 Audra rated it liked it
I feel like this book was a good primer on Presbyterian principles underlying infant baptism. It certainly gave my perspective some meat, and underscored how Presbyterian baptism is NOT a christening. So, it's worth reading. However, I did feel it was cumbersome and not as well written as it could have been. As a result, I spent too much time re-reading paragraphs, sometimes three and four times. After a while, that simply became a turn-off.

But if you are considering infant baptism without real
Ryan Grooms
May 30, 2015 Ryan Grooms rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
This was one of the first books (pamphlets) that I read in regards to the Biblical Doctrine of Covenantal (Infant) Baptism, and Chapell does a very good job laying out the basic biblical tenants of why Presbyterians and Reformed churches alike baptize children. This being geared toward lay people, I definitely recommend it to those who desire to learn about the Presbyterian and Reformed view of Baptism in a practical manner.
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
Should infant children of Christian parents be baptized? Chapell believes so (thought he admits he did not always agree), and he lays out his position in a carefully presented, encouraging manner. Although I do not fully endorse Chapell’s position, I am pleased that he has stated his case so clearly and helpfully. He deals with common objections well, and there is no trace of antagonism here; merely a biblical and thought-provoking explanation of this covenant sign.
Peter N.
Aug 29, 2015 Peter N. rated it really liked it
A short, but clear introduction to infant baptism that shows the covenant background to the sacrament and why the New Testament does not deviate from that the Old Testament as regards children and their status. A good little pamphlet to hand out to new Christians or to those new to Reformed theology.
Won Ho Kim
Mar 18, 2012 Won Ho Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Probably the best feature of this concise summary of the doctrine of infant baptism is Chapell's own words of explanation. I also appreciated Chapell's discussion of the practical benefits of infant baptism, both for parents and children. The book is necessarily short, but I do wish he had spent a bit more time discussing the continuity of the covenants.
Steve Hemmeke
Jun 17, 2011 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it
Clear and succinct argument for infant baptism - under 30 pages! Dealt well with covenant concept and NT texts. Last section on benefits of baptism was the weakest, a little wordy and not as clear. An excellent intro to the topic.
Eric Skwarczynski
Feb 05, 2016 Eric Skwarczynski rated it really liked it
Very brief, yet informative and well-written overview of the Presbyterian view of paedobaptism. I am studying the various views of baptism, and this has helped shape my understanding of the covenantal position.
Lee Gerrietts
Jan 08, 2015 Lee Gerrietts rated it really liked it
Good summary, but there is quite a bit more to discuss as it relates to New Covenant Old Covenant discontinuity that isn't addressed.
Simon Van den broek
Jul 14, 2014 Simon Van den broek rated it really liked it
Very short and concise yet a simple and clear overview of infant baptism. A good starting line for thinking about baptism.
E
Apr 25, 2014 E rated it it was amazing
Should become the lay-level standard on the topic, replacing the older monograph of the same length by John Sartelle.

Only thing I wish he had discussed more was the power of baptism.
Stephen Buerger
Stephen Buerger rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
William M. Ham
William M. Ham rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Wade Stotts
Wade Stotts rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Brandon Bellinghausen
Mar 05, 2016 Brandon Bellinghausen rated it really liked it
A very good and concise introduction to the issue.
Luke Smith
Luke Smith rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Joe Ragsdale
Joe Ragsdale rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2012
Joel Stanton
Joel Stanton rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2012
Jason Todd
Jason Todd rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Buergermania
Buergermania rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Bryan Chapell is the president of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri, the denominational seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America. He began teaching at Covenant in 1984 after ten years in pastoral ministry. Chapell has a BSJ from Northwestern University, an MDiv from Covenant Theological Seminary, and a PhD in speech communication from Southern Illinois University ...more
More about Bryan Chapell...