Start by marking “Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78: Security, Territory and Population” as Want to Read:
Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78: Security, Territory and Population

Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78: Security, Territory and Population (Lectures at the Collège de France)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Marking a major development in Foucault's thinking, this book derives from the lecture course which he gave at the Collège de France between January and April, 1978. Taking as his starting point the notion of "bio-power," introduced in his 1976 course Society Must be Defended, Foucault sets out to study the foundations of this new technology of power over population. Dist
Published May 1st 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published December 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lectures at the College de France, 1977-78

Kelly
Like I wasn't going to give this five stars. I don't want to go to academic and French hell. ... Let us all pause to contemplate that horror for a moment.

No but seriously this was really great. Like, way greater than I had expected given my limited experience of Foucault, which had been limited to discursive analysis that was driving me up a wall. But I totally see why people love him now.
Alex Mchugh
Excellent lectures that have changed my recent perspective on many things. The kind of ideas that stick in your mind long after reading. Will probably be re-reading fairly soon, I'm almost sure I missed something good the first time around.
Dan
An excellent exploration of the various ways rulers and others have attempted to govern populations and/or territories. The tragedy of the book is that modern Leftist intellectuals have used it like Machiavelli's "The Prince," treating it as a handbook of ways they can both challenge legitimate authority and maximize their own power over people and resources.
Troy
Another amazing lecture. I recently read another collection of Foucault's lectures and it was amazing. This book contains the next series of lectures from the ones I read.

What I personally want is a negative political theory. I want a politics that is based on preventing power from congealing, and a politics that breaks up power after it congeals.

And these Foucault lectures come close to that. This book is largely asks:

How did the State come about?

How did the world that we live in come into bei
Ryan Ananat
Starts slow but picks up by the end. Looking forward to the sequel.
Will
Maybe philosophy can still play a role on the side of counter-power, on condition that, in facing power, this role no longer consists in laying down the law of philosophy, on condition that philosophy stops thinking of itself as prophecy, pedagogy, or legislation, and that it gives itself the task of analyzing, elucidating, making visible, and thereby intensifying the struggles that take place around power, the strategies of adversaries within relations of power, the tactics employed, and the so
Andrew
These lectures are VERY interesting. Some of the writing here ends up in later works, such as History of Sexuality. These texts further develop ideas of raison d'état, population, and politics that F had been working on for some years.

Foucault finds the route of modern governmentality in the pastoral. He juxtaposes Greece and Church early on to show how the exceptionality of this idea of governance. This is problematic, as are most of the assertions he makes related to the "pastoral." In the end
Xiaomin Zu
Biopolitics on the control of population enabled by sciences, Foucault's main contribution! well, one of his many insights.
Heather Marie
My review of most of Foucault's work: just get to the point already.
Elena
Super interesting, need to finish at some point. Initial thoughts:
- Euro-centric; understandable, but should be read as an example of things occurring globally
- Smallpox inoculation as example of security
- Interesting use of raison d'etat
Priya
Sep 06, 2008 Priya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Foucault fans (and aren't there many?)
This is readable, accessible and, surprising considering the subj. matter, amusing at times. Foucault does a great job of explaining what he thinks about security, how the state organises itself and, especially, his view of power as relational and network-oriented.
Jill
Ok, I admit it, I only skimmed the first 75 pages. Probabaly not the best book with which to introduce myself to Foucault. And this is definitely not my subject. Eeek! I think I might try something else by him, though. The man obviously had a great brain.
Alex Kudera
accessible Foucault that relates to European history, political philosophy, and how we arrived at the "state" were in. . . good stuff.
Naomi
This is one in a series of Foucault's published lectures. I'm working my way through a number of them and they are pretty fantastic...
Brian
Mar 22, 2009 Brian marked it as to-read
I have not had much luck trying to slog through Foucault in the past, but I think I may need to give this one a try.
Michelle
Currently reading it. Of course it kicks ass and I will tell you why by June 13 when I finish it.
R. Kevin
The rise of the state. That's a bad thing.
Suneet  G
foucault is a force to reckon with
Lane
Oct 13, 2010 Lane is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The introduction is great...
Jacob Israel Chilton
can't wait to get back to it.
Paola22
Paola22 marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Yongsun
Yongsun marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Leon
Leon added it
Dec 14, 2014
Eduard
Eduard marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Sharely
Sharely marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Rogues: Two Essays on Reason
  • Foucault
  • Homo Sacer: Sovereign Power and Bare Life
  • A User's Guide to Capitalism and Schizophrenia: Deviations from Deleuze and Guattari
  • Giving an Account of Oneself
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • Disagreement: Politics and Philosophy
  • Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics
  • Speed and Politics (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • The Accursed Share 2-3: The History of Eroticism and Sovereignty
  • Science in Action: How to Follow Scientists and Engineers Through Society
  • Lenin and Philosophy and Other Essays
Michel Foucault was a French philosopher, social theorist and historian of ideas. He held a chair at the Collège de France with the title "History of Systems of Thought," and lectured at the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Berkeley.

Foucault is best known for his critical studies of social institutions, most notably psychiatry, medicine, the human sciences and the prison sys
More about Michel Foucault...
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison The History of Sexuality 1: An Introduction Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason The Order of Things: An Archaeology of the Human Sciences The Archaeology of Knowledge & The Discourse on Language