Republic.com 2.0

Republic.com 2.0

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In 'Republic.com 2.0' Sunstein thoroughly rethinks the critical relationships between democarcy and the Internet in a world where partisan Web logs have emerged as a significant force in politics and where cyber-jihadists have embraced the Internet to thwart democracy and spread violence.
Published August 20th 2007 by Princeton University Press

Josh Braun
My review from 60 Second Science: Cass Sunstein's a leading advocate of the idea of "cyberbalkanization" —the notion that the Internet may one day do in democracy. He suggests the presence of an exploding number of interest-based online communities, personalized search, personalized news, Amazon-style book recommendations, and such, which seem to offer something for everyone, will ultimately encourage Internet users to wall themselves into ever-smaller interest-based groups.

You've probably hear...more
Lucas
I'd really mark this 2.5 stars. Terribly repetitive, but not without some good points. If I recall, chapter four was the most enjoyable. Interestingly, he states that the book was inspired by Jane Jacobs' Death and Life of Great American Cities. It does seem clear that lack of exposure to diverse thought on the internet, which cannot be forced, is akin to the loss of shared experiences one gets when living in the suburbs. He keeps talking about public forums like parks as if they no longer exist...more
Jason
truly fascinating reading about how our rapidly advancing technologies are affecting the deliberative process of a republic. i only wish sunstein had expounded a little more. he raises some really interesting issues, but is constantly tempering every idea with "i'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing - just that it is." he fails to take the next step of suggesting how we proceed as country given the current state of democracy and our participation (or lack thereof) in it.

i'm writing t...more
matt
An interesting book, but could have used some editing-- because it sometimes feels repetitious and doesn't always push ideas as far as it might, it feels a bit as if it were rushed out. (Which is strange, considering it's an updated version of Sunstein's turn-of-the-millenium "Republic.com".) (Ugly cover, too.)

What I found most interesting, however, is Sunstein's sketch of a legal-historical framework in which to think about the ideas of free speech and democratic deliberation. His also serves a...more
Adam Crouse
A decent book. Sunstein makes a lot of good points on how the personalization of the internet can fragment a democratic society and ultimately threaten its freedom. And although the internet does allow for larger deliberative enclaves and creates massive echo chambers caused more and more by cyber cascades, Sunstein seems to forget that there still does exist reasons to leave your house and interact with other locked in your same geological location in the real, physical world.
Garrett
1) Too obtuse and dry for the general reader, but not specific enough for lawyers.
2) Chapters are structured so as to attack strawmen. (Who out there is really arguing that governments have NO AUTHORITY OF ANY KIND related to the internet?)
3) Argument that the internet creates echo chamber effect is hedged so much that he's barely argued that any problem exists at all.
4) Hardly any specific policy recommendations that are legal. His conclusion seems to be "if we care about democracy, we should g...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
Assigned reading, an interesting point that Sunstein made. This novel definitely isn't light-reading and was pretty intense in many parts.

I felt like Sunstein's view was very negative, but that makes sense as he was trying to expose the negative aspects of filtering and the "daily me." However, I felt like he maybe ignored the positive.

An interesting read for those who like politics, democracy, government, internet, and technology type books.
Aeden
He may be a well-regarded law professor, but his conclusions are rather perfunctory. There are several better works about the internet and its impact on American democracy, such as Hindman's "The Myth of Digital Democracy", Prior's "Post-Broadcast Democracy" and Stroud's "Niche 2.0".
Bethany Keeley
Look. I'm really glad this book exists. It is a valuable perspective and a valid concern, but I think Sunstein overstates his case, both in terms of how informed and democratic Americans have ever been, and how severe the current and potential bubble effect are.
Danielle
Terribly repetitive, but not without some good points. Made me reflect on my media consumption and my responsibilities as a citizen of a republic.
Tammy
Too academic (ie, redundant) and I didn't agree with his main idea.
Andrew Watson
Clear, in a Lessig-like manner.
Dale
Dale added it
Jul 06, 2014
Linda Diec
Linda Diec marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Linghong Hu
Linghong Hu marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Bedavyasa Mohanty
Bedavyasa Mohanty is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2014
Tomáš Zemko
Tomáš Zemko marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Sanaz
Sanaz added it
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cass R. Sunstein is an American legal scholar, particularly in the fields of constitutional law, administrative law, environmental law, and law and behavioral economics, who currently is the Administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in the Obama administration. For 27 years, Sunstein taught at the University of Chicago Law School, where he continues to teach as...more
More about Cass R. Sunstein...
Infotopia: How Many Minds Produce Knowledge Simpler: The Future of Government The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever Going to Extremes: How Like Minds Unite and Divide Why Societies Need Dissent (Oliver Wendell Holmes Lectures)