Start by marking “The Whites Of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Whites Of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School, #3)

The Whites Of Their Eyes (Benjamin Pratt & Keepers of the School #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Andrew Clements delivers the latest in his adventure-filled school series.

This could be the last great Memorial Day weekend on Barclay Bay, and Ben knows it. This time next year, he might not be able to stand in the yard of the Oakes School and watch the harbor shake off winter—boats buzzing just beyond the bulkhead and families spreading picnics in the fields. If the scho
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 21st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published April 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Whites Of Their Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whites Of Their Eyes

Jesse  heinz
Oct 30, 2015 Jesse heinz rated it really liked it
Plot

The plot starts in the Captain Oaks School and the kids are trying to save the school from the Mr. Lyman, the janitor. Mr. Lyman is trying to tear down the school and trying to build a carnival. The main characters are Ben, Jill, Robert and Mr. Lyman. They found a lot money in the bank, 88 million dollars to be exact.

Personal Response
I like the book. It is a good book if you like mystery book. it is very interesting and it does not let me down.

The book is good if you like mystery books. Th
Linda
Dec 22, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book #3 in the Keepers of the School series. I was not impressed with book #1 and I don't own book #2. It didn't mater much in the scheme of things, though. I like this one a little more than book #1. I still dislike the fact that the story is told piecemeal and you have to read an entire series in order to learn the story. I don't have any more books in this series.

The gist of the series: Benjamin Pratt and his friends Jill and Richard are trying to save their Massachusetts harbor scho
Debbie
Jan 11, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book three in a series written by one of my favorite authors of books for juveniles. I'll be honest, the first book did not grab my attention. The second book didn't do much for me either. This book, however, has increased my desire to continue reading as new books are released in the series. I'd say the whole thing just got off to a slow start. The plot is getting far more interesting as the two primary characters (Ben and Jill) decide to invite another person (Robert) on their mission ...more
Heather
Mar 26, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Review at Little Red Reads: http://littleredreads.blogspot.com/20...

Heather's Review: This was my children's first experience with a full unabridged audiobook so I was curious how they would do. From the minute I put in on all was quiet in our car and they kept asking for more. We picked up the series with book three after Simon Audio sent us a copy for review and while we're missing a lot of the back story my children didn't seem to mind at all. The Keepers of the School start out as a tea
M.
Mar 06, 2012 M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of the series Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School. Well written. My only problem with this book is that it doesn't stand alone--the reader should really start with Book 1 of this series to understand the story line from the beginning.

The story...The Oakes School, built in 1783, is threatened by a developer who wants to build an amusement park on its land as well as on adjacent ocean-front land. Benjamin Pratt and his friend Jill, the Keepers of the School and grade school student
Jessica
Jul 14, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Narrator Review:
Overall, I thought that Keith Nobbs did a pretty fair job at narrating this book. His girl voices could use a little work, but then again it's tough to be a girlish girl when you have a deeper voice :). I accept that. His pacing is spot on, and I loved the way that he would pause for dramatic effect at important points. Nobbs also does a great job at intoning danger and excitement.

Audio Book Rating: 4/5 - It's a great listen!

**********

Book Review:
First off I find it only fair to
Clayton Sumner
Are you an Andrew Cements fan? Do you like exciting adventures? Do you like to read mysteries? If you do, you should read the Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School series!

In the third book in the series, Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School: The Whites of their Eyes, Andrew Clements brings characters Ben, Jill, and Robert to life as they battle their new custodian, Lyman, to save their school from being destroyed to make an amusement park! Lyman was hired by the group that’s goin
Michael
Another winner by Clements. His characterization is great, including the twists and turns that we learn about the characters throughout the book. And in this mystery, there are enough false starts and unexpected surprises to keep me and my girl interested. The only problem: at this rate there will be four more books (at least) before the series is over, which means Rebekah will be a teenager by the time we figure out if Ben and Jill and now Robert are able to save the school.
J.D.Staton
Oct 24, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this third book of the Keepers of the School Series, Ben and Jill link up with Robert to speed up their search for the Captain's clues. In the process, Ben and Jill get closer, while Robert opens up about the realities of his secretive life. Through it all, they discover an unknown hidden room which was part of the Underground Railroad. I still believe splitting this collection of a single novel's chapters into five separate books disturbs the flow and effectiveness of the story.
Jessalyn King
Jun 21, 2015 Jessalyn King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9-12, audio
This series was cute. I listened to them all at once, though, so it's hard to tell which parts I liked were from which volume. They're short enough that they could have been all one book anyway. Therefore, my review of books 2-5 will be on book 5 to avoid spoilers.

We Hold These Truths
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The last day of school is coming closer and Benjamin Pratt is running out of time. Jill and Ben need another Keeper of the School. Janitor Lyman is upping the game with technology and they need to outsmart him. The school and its history needs to survive!

With each new addition to Clements series, I am left on the edge of my seat. Clements is writing a series that is reminiscent of the serialized novels of the 1800's. Readers from the past would wait for book chapters to be printed in the newspap
Brenda
Feb 25, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell whether I like this series or not. I can't tell exactly how it is going to go and I am not sure I like all of the twists and turns that are unfolding and connected. I guess that means it is a series of merit - I just wish I had decided to read it when I could begin it from start to finish.

I appreciate the connections to history. I really like how the characters grow and develop from book to book. They have gained dimension from one book to the next. I appreciate the family situation
Reed S
Nov 02, 2012 Reed S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I recently started reading The Whites Of There Eyes, by: Andrew Clements. I really like this book because it tells you the feeling of Benjamin Pratt as you read the story, with all of the heart pounding situations he goes through. I also really enjoy how Andrew describes the setting in a special way. This book has a lot of suspense in the right parts and little suspense in parts that don't need it. I hope that Benjamin and Jill, the other main character in the book, can somehow save the school. ...more
Kidsbookworm
Apr 09, 2012 Kidsbookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, must-read
I think this series would make a great read - aloud for kids over 3rd grade. This, the third one in the series, started a bit slowly, but it was very good. I am not sure that I liked the format of braking the story between books two and three. I think it would be better to finish number two and then immediately pick up The Whites of Their Eyes so you didn't lose the continuity.

Clements doesn't bother with too much background story here; that's all right with me, as I find that tedious at times.
Marlene Scheffer
Sep 03, 2014 Marlene Scheffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun! This book entertained me almost as much as it kept my 9 year old son's attention in the car. (Audiobook) third in a series of five. Recommended as a just-for-fun book for kids in third or fourth grade.
Andréa
In the 2012 hardcover edition I read, ISBN 9781416938880, there's a missing word on page 134. (view spoiler)
Sydnee Andress
Oct 06, 2013 Sydnee Andress rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series by Andrew Clements. It is a great chapter book series for third and fourth graders. It is full of mystery and the story line is very entertaining and children will like it. The plot is extremely suspenseful so the kids will continue to turn the page and finish the series. The two main characters are great role models for the children as well. They display great characteristics and are people that children can aspire to act like. Over all, I was very impressed by these ...more
Jaime Leroy
In this third installment of the “Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School” series, Benjamin and Jill are trying to save their school from the bulldozers of greedy developers. If the school is torn down, Ben knows his town will never be the same. But, can they escape evil janitor Lyman and his even eviler guard dog? With the help of a surprising new keeper, they may just be able to save the school, but the clock is ticking!!!

Not a bad read, but I think it would be more interesting to elemen
Jackie
Jul 07, 2012 Jackie rated it it was ok
Jill, Ben, and Robert are junior sleuths trying to save their school from greedy developers. They want to demolish the old Oakes School on the waterfront to build a fancy resort and casino. They find clues left behind long ago that will bolster their case...and help make the Oakes School a historical establishment in the national registry.

This was not my favorite Andrew Clements book by any means...however, two things may have contributed to that fact. The audio version was not compelling and d
Dolores
Apr 13, 2012 Dolores rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot going on in this series. It's a mystery-and a bit of a puzzle mystery, so kids can play along. It's an adventure with plenty of action and excitement. But there are unexpected touches that I really like. Ben and Jill and learning to get along with the obnoxious "know-it-all" in their class in book 3. They've brought him on board as the third keeper in their little band and Ben discovers things about Robert's life he never imagined. And Ben himself is still coping with his parent's ...more
Ko
Jan 08, 2015 Ko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
feels great to have read a bit of a easier book and it was real good too
Carrie
Apr 23, 2016 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better than number 2. Still not great, but not nearly so annoying. The reader of the audiobook is still terrible.
Sfk
Jun 30, 2014 Sfk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!!!!!!!
Tony Keefer
Part 3 in this mystery/adventure series from Andrew Clements. Benjamin, Jill and Robert really push the envelope this time by breaking into the school several times to look for more clues. Lyman, the spy/janitor is hot on their trail with every turn. I like how Clements has crafted this extended tale so far. I am hopeful that book 4 wraps up the series.
Karen Arendt
The series gets better with each book. In the third book, Gerritt joins Ben and Jill in their search for clues. Lyman is still causing trouble but kicks up the attacks. There will be a fourth book in the series. If readers can get through the first book, they will enjoy the series.
Annie
Jun 22, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just a series because the whole story would be a gigantic book. I hate when a storyline is unresolved. However - I DO know that students eat it up! :) I do like the plot and characters; I just wish it were in one book instead of many.
Paul
May 14, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ysd, battle
This series gets better and better. In this 3rd outing, the "Keepers" become a trio, discover something amazing, and find out that things -- and people -- are not always what they seem. Andrew Clements scores again! Highly recommended.
Lacey
Jul 09, 2012 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good additions to the Keepers of the School series. Many ups and downs as Ben and his friends try to save their school. There is a fourth book coming out. I would like to know how many books ther will be all together!
Rachel
Aug 06, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Kail read this one to me, and it really is a great series for kids. Great characters, great descriptions of the struggles of school, and just fun to read. Looking forward to the next one!
Katherine B
Sep 12, 2012 Katherine B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very well writen and interesting.
It kept me wanting to keep reading to find out what happens next. It also had a really good ending to get you excited for the next book in the series!
  • Hide and Seek (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #2)
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • The Island of Thieves
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • Alcatraz (I, Q, #6)
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • Chrissa
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • Moxie and the Art of Rule Breaking: A 14 Day Mystery
  • The Mummy's Curse (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #13)
  • The Crazy Case of Missing Thunder (Goofballs #1)
  • Smells Like Treasure
  • Crunch
  • Stealing Magic (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #2)
  • The Missing Magic (B Magical, #1)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...

Benjamin Pratt & Keepers of the School (5 books)
  • We the Children (Benjamin Pratt & Keepers of the School, #1)
  • Fear Itself
  • In Harm's Way
  • We Hold These Truths (Benjamin Pratt & Keepers of the School #5)