Start by marking “Black Lantern Corps Volume 1.” as Want to Read:
Black Lantern Corps Volume 1.

Black Lantern Corps Volume 1. (Blackest Night #5)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  965 ratings  ·  38 reviews
'Black Lantern Corps' features Batman, Superman and the Titans confronting their greatest villains and loved ones - newly returned from the dead as Black Lanterns.
Published October 1st 2011 by Titan Publishing Company (first published July 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Black Lantern Corps Volume 1., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Lantern Corps Volume 1.

Sesana
I've been enjoying the Blackest Night event. It's been very creepy, and more than a little disturbing, and this is collection is no exception. This trade has three storylines (Batman, Superman, and Teen Titans), all of which tie into the greater Blackest Night story by featuring the Black Lanterns. (I would suggest reading at least some of Blackest Night first, so you understand what they are.) There's some serious writing going on here. The weakest storyline, for me, was Superman. Naturally, si ...more
Anca
The most uninteresting stories in the crossover in one neat volume.
Justyn Rampa
So this volume collects the three issues of Batman, Superman, and Titans. The whole concept is ridiculous, or at least it can be. I think each story handles it in its own way. I found the Batman issues compelling and well done, but I'm also a huge Batman fan. The Superman comics were somewhat absurd as they featured Superman, Superboy, Ma Kent, Supergirl, and Krypto the dog. Now, I didn't say I didn't enjoy it because even though it was absurd, it was also enjoyable. The Titans comic was a littl ...more
Anne
I guess you either love the Blackest Night story arc, or you hate it. I'm in the 'love it' camp, and I thought this volume was an awesome addition to the story line! Loved seeing the 'new' Batman and Robin together with Deadman. Also enjoyed Superman and Superboy's story in Smallville. It was fun to see Martha Kent kick some ass in that one! The third story was about the Titans. I'll admit that I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to those guys. Still, even knowing next to nothing about them ...more
Arturo Norico
I first heard about this comic line by reading about the different lantern corps. With one look at the cover, it was obvious that the comic was going to be interesting, however I was unsure about how exciting I would find it. I am happy to say that I was extremely drawn in when I started reading it. Though this is not a traditional book, the use of the different characters to create a setting in which all of the heroes of the universe are struggling to come to terms with what is happening, and a ...more
Aaron
There's nothing terribly wrong with this collection of Blackest Night crossover miniseries, but there's also not much particularly right with it either. Here we get three stories by three different writers about how some prominent DC superteams deal with the rise of the Black Lanterns, and it's kind of surprising how all three of them go after the exact same trope: wouldn't it be terrible to have to fight a reanimated version of your loved ones. Yes, I imagine this would be horrible, only that's ...more
Kevin
This book collects 3 Blackest Night tie in series.

Batman Blackest Night involves Batman, Red Robin, and Robin facing the reanimated corpses of Dick's parents, Drake's parents, Tony Zucco, and Captain Boomerang. I like how most of it went down, though the surprise guest at the end was a bit random. This was okay with a weak ending. 2.5/5

Superman Blackest Night is a dual tale of Superman, Superboy, Krypto, and Martha Kent versus Earth 2 Lois, Earth 2 Kal-L, and the Psycho Pirate, it also contains
Gavin
This was the first 'Blackest Night' Book I was able to get my hands on through the library, and it didn't really grab my attention all that much. I'll be honest, I read it for the Batman part, which was fairly decent, and did a good job with Dick/Tim/Damian, and I liked Deadman's involvement as well as the arrival of a rather mythical figure to help the battle...
The Superman story just reinforces how ridiculous it is with all these Supermen from other worlds running around, Superman, Kal-L (not
Jake
These parts of the Blackest Night event aren't completely necessary to the story, but they do add a lot to it and I would definitely recommend reading them anyway. There are, however, certain things that the casual fan might not get, like Psycho Pirate, Kal-L, New Krypton, Terra, Hawk, and Dove. I would be lying if I said that I didn't think your experience would differ from mine if you're not a hardcore comic fan.

That said, I really liked this. Reading this along with all the other Blackest Nig
Cooper Mccay
Blackest Night, Black Lantern Corpse volume one, is a novel that focuses on the DC Superheroes and their struggle against an oncoming apocalypse. The story starts with Batman and Robin who are Richard Greyson and Damion (they don't his last name) I was shocked to read that Bruce Wayne is dead in this novel. The plot goes like this: there are a ton of black lantern rings that are floating around searching out the corpses of dead superheroes and supervillans. Once these evil rings are on,the corps ...more
Melissa
Batman trio: 4 stars. I am really enjoying Dick Grayson and Tim Drake, plus any Jim and Barbara Gordon I can get.

Superman: 3 stars

Titans: 3.5 stars, maybe. I just had trouble getting past the women with their impractical costumes and their arched backs. The artwork was really cool, but these are superheroes, not Playmates, right?
Alan
Probably a little generous here with this rating, but the Titans tale worked for me. This volume collects the Batman, Superman and Titans mini-series done during Blackest Night. So why does Titans worK? I got a little of the Hawk & Dove team that I would have liked to seen more of (the two sisters), but really it is because somehow J.T. Krul (I've read nothing of his prior to this) made Donna and Gar not be complete wastes for once. Gar is finally over Tara (about time that angst stopped) an ...more
TJ Shelby
This is a collection of three separate Blackest Night tie-in story arcs from Batman, Superman and Titans.

The Batman story line was decent but nothing special. Deadman, while I see the relevance, isn't a great character. I've never really enjoyed him.

The Superman arc was just lame (and probably incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't followed the DC summer cross-overs, particularly Johns' Infinite Crisis...luckily for me, I have). I know a few who really liked the "Martha Kent incident" but I fou
Shannon Appelcline
Tomasi's Batman is mainly a long-drawn out zombie fight. It gains some depth when it plays the dead parents card in issue #3, but then anti-climaxes with an unclever deus ex machina [4/10]. Robinson's Superman was a big fight too, but it showed how to do it right by embedding lots of human emotions and personal moments [6/10]. Krul's Titans gets some traction because of the team's long role call of the dead and because it has some actual repercussions [6/10]. Still, the volume ends up being fair ...more
Galion Public Library Teens
Review by C.M.: "Good book with superheroes in their blackest moments."
Lindsey Stock
Some of the stories were interesting, others less interesting. The art, like the rest of the Blackest Night comics, is stellar. I wasn't too interested in most of the character except Batman, so unless you're familiar with all of the comic series involved in the Blackest Night event or are a completionist, I wouldn't recommend spending money on this one, at least not the hardcover edition. Maybe the paperback volume. Volume 2 of the Black Lantern Corps is better.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I really like the Blackest Night arc. I'm finding the whole Black Lantern thing really cool, and kind of creepy I suppose. This was a pretty cool addition but I can't say I enjoyed the Superman section at all. Batman was pretty good and so was the Teen Titan part but I found the Superman one somewhat confusing and at times kind of lame. I've never been a Superman fan though it's not terribly surprising that I dislike him and Connor.
Angela
I think I would have enjoyed this volume if I knew more of the character getting risen. The batman storyline was interesting with everybody facing their parents, and how Deadman copes with the crisis.

The Superman one was strange but I did like Martha and Krypto in it.

The titans story was more disturbing with the baby and the 2 hawks. I just wish I knew the characters. I expect that if I had have done this would be a 4 star.
M
Collecting the Blackest Night tie-ins from Batman, Superman, and the Teen Titans, this volume provides a few insights into stemming the tide of the zombified Black Lanterns. Batman and co. apply a cold shoulder solution, Superman works on separating the ring from the body, and the Titans find an unexpected ray of hope in Dove. Fair stories, but only the return of Donna Troy's family provides any emotional tie to this volume.
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Here is a collection of three Blackest Night related limited series that I really liked. First off, the art in all three was beautiful. Syaf, Barrows, & Benes drew the hell out of these books and every page was dynamic. The stories were also drenched with drama but that was expected given the subject matter. The only problem here is that all three ended in an eerily similar fashion. Overall, a great read!
Sara Stacey
I love all things Green Lantern. Seriously, just have the ring there and I'll be happy. SO WHAT HAPPENED HERE? Maybe I'm the problem. I loved the other Blackest Night. It's just this story seemed so scattered and .. I don't know. But I didn't love it, this hurts me a little. It gets 3 courtesy stars for having Green Lantern in it, but that's it.
Tom LaRosa
Charlie
For nonstop suspense, action, death, love, and blood, read this book! This book is jam packed with action to make it one of violent DC comics I have ever read. But be warned, this book has some profanity in it so it won't be sutable for people under the age of ten. Overall, you will hopefully love this book as much as I did
Dean
This collection was ok, but the stories were pretty average. Batman was ok, Superman was ok, and the Titans story a little better. Art was good on all 3 storylines.
As tie-ins go, these aren't bad, but on their own merits, strictly for he Blackest Night completist, or for the big Superman and Batman fans out there.
Anne Barwell
4 1/2. Still on the fence about the Blackest Night story, but I did enjoy the Batman segment of this immensely. Must admit that could be in part seeing Batman (Dick), Robin (Damian) and Red Robin (Tim) working together with Deadman. That part a five rating, the rest of it four.
Keith Rommel
Aug 10, 2011 Keith Rommel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror and zombie/end of the world fans
Shelves: graphic-novel
In this graphic novel, we get a look into Batman, Superman and the Teen Titans 3 issues series from each, tying into the blackest night storyline. I especially liked the Batman and Superman collections as they help add a little more depth to the story.
Brian Corcoran
Great supplement to the rest of the Blackest Night story arc. The 3 issue Batman story was fantastic with the rise of many dead Batman/Robin family memebers...and Teen Titans story arc was especially much better than I anticipated.
Mackenzie
Purely at an aesthetic level, this cover art is my favorite out of all the Blackest Night series. I also like the illustrations best on this one. The story is not really all that, but the art definitely is my favorite.
Rick
Eh, doesn't really add much to the overall Blackest Night storyline. Unless you want to read everything Blackest Night related, you could easily pass on this.
Andrew
Makes me think I should be reading more Teen Titans and Hawk & Dove, as that section of this volume earned it that fourth star.
  • Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps, Vol. 2
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 1: To Be a Lantern
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 8: The Weaponer
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson...
Batman: Face the Face The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1 The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 2 Earth 2, Vol. 1: The Gathering JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)