Conquest (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) (Star Wars: Edge of Victory, #1)

Conquest (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #7)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  4,511 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The dazzling Star Wars space adventure continues in The New Jedi Order as Luke Skywalker, Anakin Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker, and others battle their deadliest enemy in a tale of nonstop action, shadowy evil, and spectacular triumph . . .

No longer content with the destruction the Yuuzhan Vong have already sown, Warmaster Tsavong Lah has demanded the heads of all the Jedi. No...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Conquest (Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquest (Star Wars

Ryan
One of the things that I initially really liked about the NJO series is that the Yuuzhon Vong were completely and utterly alien - that we weren't given any real introduction to them, and didn't know what they wanted. While that was good for the initial novels, it wouldn't be sustainable over the course of the full cycle of novels, so the Edge Of Victory duology comes at a perfect moment.[return]Basically, with this book, we learn a lot more about the culture of the Vong, and we explore how the J...more
Ren the Unclean
Dec 18, 2007 Ren the Unclean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the best book in the NJO series that I have read. It mainly covers the yuuzhan Vong's attempts to capture the children at the Jedi Academy at Yavin 4, and Anakin Solo's efforts to stop them. There are a lot of really cool things introduced in this book, such as Anakin's newly discovered ability to sense the Vong, the presence of the Shapers in the Vong castes, their attempts to convert a jedi to the Yuuzhan Vong, and a new way for Anakin to see the threat of the Yuuzhan Vong, in terms of...more
Cian Beirdd
One of the other reviewers said that this novel, full of different aspects of the Yuuzhan Vong than we had seen before, came at the perfect time. I couldn't agree more. The previous books have shown the invaders as believing themselves to be on some holy mission. They are intelligent, deceptive, and patient. They have the Republic fragmented and the Jedi disorganized. They have taken one of the greatest heroes of the Republic without even trying. Things have been about as dark as they could be....more
Hailey
Tahiri! Anakin! Jedi academy!

I'm having flashbacks to Junior Jedi Knights. Only this time, it's written well.
Crystal Starr Light
"You two are better than the sum of your parts"

Jedi are being hunted across the galaxy, by Yuuzhan Vong, by Peace Brigaders, and by those believing the Yuuzhan Vong when they say they will stop the invasion if they have the Jedi. Those most at risk are the young Jedi students on Yavin 4.

When Luke Skywalker is unable to provide any assistance, Anakin leaves on his own, where he meets back up with childhood friend, Tahiri, now 14. Events quickly get out of hand and Tahiri is captured by Yuuzhan Vo...more
Daniel
Finally, a book in the New Jedi Order series that just does it right. This is my favorite so far, just ahead of Vector Prime. It feels the most like Star Wars and is brave enough to step out in terms of philosophy and how the Yuuzhan Vong affect the understanding of the Force. I'm not sure who Greg Keyes is, but I'm tempted to check out his other stuff well.

Conquest does a great job of picking a single main character--Anakin Solo--and defining him well. This book's strength lies in focusing on A...more
Mark
The story of how there was originally planned to be a trilogy instead of this duology, called "Knightfall" and featuring Danni Quee, is an interesting one. I am on the record appreciating Quee! So it goes. What we get instead is a pair of books that focuses on young Anakin Solo. When a secondary character steps up to get development, it never bodes well.

Here, look, the Vong are rampaging again. This time it's Yavin IV, symbolic since it's the Jedi home. It turns out the Vong want Yavin because t...more
Yves
Les Yuuzhan Vong décident de faire un grand coup d'éclat. Ils attaquent directement l'Académie Jedi sur la planète Yavin 4. Luke Skywalker demande à Talon Kardde de venir en aide aux étudiants. Anakin Solo qui trouve que les choses vont trop lentement à sont goût décide d'aller aider ses amis. Il devra faire une véritable guerre de guérilla dans la jungle de la planète pour sauver sa meilleure amie Tahiri Veila.

Ce livre amène vraiment une nouvelle dynamique à la série qui commençait à faire du s...more
Randy Patton
An entertaining tale of the continued conflict between the New Republic and the Yuuzhan Vong. The Vong have been obsessed with wiping the Jedi out. They have convinced many citizens if all of the Jedi are turned over, the invasion will stop. This focuses mostly on Anakin Solo has he struggles to understand the nature of the Force.
Jeff
Jerry
This was definitely a step up for the New Jedi Order series. I felt more of a connection with the story and the characters than I did with the previous novels. After reading this, I'm really looking forward to the sequel, which is by the same author.
William
This entry in the New Jedi Order series focuses on Anakin Solo. Like his namesake, young Anakin is strong in the force, but is sometimes a bit headstrong. Against his uncle's wishes, Anakin goes to Yavin 4 to save the members of the Jedi Praxeum from imminent invasion by the Yuuzhan Vong. He partially succeeds, but refuses to leave behind the few who are unable to escape, including his best friend, Tahiri Veila. Veila is captured by the Vong, and Anakin, joined by an unlikely ally, makes his way...more
Toby Andersen
Much better than i thought it was going to be. It starts badly and with some very strained dialogue - but keyes obviously got into the sw world and the book suddenly got tense and interesting and exciting after about 40 pages, resulting in one of the better books in the NJO series so far. It is a nice jump in quality and readability since the agent of chaos books and balance point which i didn't like much. If it was indeed written in a month then i am very impressed. This book is about Anakin So...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I loved the fact that this book was an Anakin Solo-centric installment to the New Jedi Order series, but as much as I wanted to like it, Conquest just didn't do it for me.

Perhaps it had to do with Anakin's allegiance with one of the Yuuzhan Vong at the end; for some reason, it never sat right with me. I found the relationship somewhat unrealistic, and some of their conversations seemed forced, to be sure.

Also, while I appreciated the chance to get to know Anakin better, I acutely felt the abse...more
Rachel
Anakin Solo is not happy. The Yuuzhan Vong are running unchecked through the galaxy. Luke Skywalker is doing nothing. Jedi are breaking off, forming individual fleets to go do something. The kids at the Jedi academy on Yavin Four are in the most danger. Luke is sending help, but it may not arrive in time.
Anakin is impatient, and figures something will happen, so he sets off for Yavin Four in his X-wing...not just without permission, but against orders.
He only gets there just in time, but then hi...more
Jim C
Another novel in the New Jedi Order. This time Anakin is attempting to save young Jedi from the Yuuzhan Vong. I enjoyed that this book concentrated on Anakin and it did have a Star Wars feeling to it. It never really captured me though. I think the reason for this is that Anakin's adventure was too quickly paced. I would have liked more adversity or the exploration of his relationship with his companion on the rescue mission. I did enjoy the ending and I could picture it being an ending in a mov...more
Aric
Good pacing and suspense. More along the lines of what I would expect from a star wars book. Anakin once again reminds me why he is my favorite Solo.
Jesse
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never...more
David M
Dear readers,

This book is about all efforts to survive made by Anakin, how an enemy can be your friend an give you a hand. This time Tahiri is captured, Luke and the others from the order are escaping from the peace brigade and the yuuzhan vong.

This book was marvelous in my opinion, it has a lot of new words, very good descriptions, and I really recommend everyone to read it, also read the sequel which I am reading now.
DC
The first half of this book reads a bit like the YKJ series. Or maybe JJK - I never read those (and if you didn't, either, some of these characters are going to seem like they come from absolutely nowhere). Tries too hard to be funny, and Anakin is pretty annoying.
The second half has much more of interest - we finally get an insider's look at Yuuzhan Vong culture, and the interaction between Vua Rapuung and Anakin is quality entertainment most of the time.
Brendan
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I find myself rooting for the Jedi to take down both the bureaucracy of the New Republic and the Vong. My enjoyment of this series improves with each book I read. Plus I loved how this book helped tie in some of the events from the junior paperback into the "adult" storyline.
Graham Tomlinson
Great book focusing on one of my favourite characters in the young Anakin Solo. His bold mission to save the young Jedi students and then his alliance with a shamed one to rescue Tahiri. This is the beginning of a shift in the war and puts a new face on some of the Vong. Thoroughly enjoyed it for the second time
Vee
This is one of the best books of the New Jedi Order series. It is pack with a deeper look into the Yuuzhan Vong, action, the growth of Anakin Solo, political tension involving the Jeedai and the continuing division of the Jeedai order.

I'm looking forward the next Conquest book by Greg Keyes.
Eric Moreno
Jonathan Nonnemacher
This entry in the New Jedi Order series is a refreshingly good book after a few mediocre titles. Good storytelling and balance, and I loved the new developments Anakin made in understanding the Yuuzhan Vong.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 06, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars
The New Jedi Order is my favorite series in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It is a long and epic story, with large ramifications for all the Expanded Universe characters. It will keep you busy for a while!
Ley
Feb 08, 2011 Ley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
This has to be one of my favorite Star Wars books I've read so far! I loved getting to know Anakin Solo better. I recommend this book to fans of Star Wars.
William Nelsen
Great surprises, great cliffhangers. Great everything. Better than the book it comes after, Balance Point, by a long shot.
Heather
Very enjoyable, although I'm not the biggest fan of Tahiri; however, her story arc throughout NJO is really good.
I'm awesoMEGAN!
Wow .... the Anakin/Tahiri story is amazing. As well as some unexpected connections :)
A Different Plannet 2 10 Nov 30, 2013 03:55AM
Humans charries 1 9 Oct 31, 2013 05:21PM
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • Hero's Trial (Agents of Chaos, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2)
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1) Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8) The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2) The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18) The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)

“Remember. You two are better than the sum of your parts. Together, you two could— No. Enough. I've said enough. Together, that's the important thing."
―Ikrit to Tahiri Veila and Anakin Solo”
2 likes
“Anakin: "Hi Tahiri."
Tahiri: "Hi, yourself, great hero-from-the-stars who's too good to keep in touch with his best friend."
Anakin: "I've—"
Tahiri: "Been busy. Right."
―Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila”
2 likes