Start by marking “Forced to Kill (Nathan McBride, #2)” as Want to Read:
Forced to Kill (Nathan McBride, #2)

Forced to Kill (Nathan McBride #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  5,591 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews

Trained Marine sniper Nathan McBride is the sole survivor of Montez de Oca, the brutal Nicaraguan interrogator who tortured countless souls to death before vanishing fourteen years ago. Though McBride’s body—as well as his soul—still bear the scars from the interrogator’s blade, he dares to hope the worst is behind him.

But when the FBI recovers a mutilated body from a remo

Published August 21st 2012 by Thomas & Mercer (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Forced to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forced to Kill

Barbara ★
I received Forced to Kill as a promotional giveaway and even though I haven't read First to Kill yet, I needed something to listen to in the car so I grabbed book two. Without the first book to compare it to, I'm going to say that this was action-packed and I really liked both Nathan McBride and his side-kick Harvey. Not having read the first book, I enjoyed the flashbacks which gave a little insight into Nathan's PTSD which I'm sure those who read the first book found excessive. Let me rephrase ...more
Rick Fisher
Even better than the first.
Everything about this series is incredible. But, it starts with great writing. Andrew Peterson does a masterful job of storytelling. He has created a remarkable cast of characters...living, surviving and growing in a terrifying world of chaotic evil and double crossing politics.
This series has two of the best lead characters I've ever encountered with Nathan McBride and Harvey Fontana. Their bond is unbreakable. Their love and respect for each other is the capstone of
Jim A
Aug 23, 2013 Jim A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First: No longer applicable. The error has been fixed.

Second: If you haven't read the first book you will miss a lot of the character development and relationships necessary to understand the interactions in this book.

Third: The author spends too much time revisiting the 'ghosts' that plague McBride. Once or twice would have been sufficient, in my opinion.

Overall I gave it a four star. The book moves right along, even with the above mentioned flaw. I picked it up via Kindle and I think the book
daniel
Sep 12, 2015 daniel rated it really liked it
The book Moves quickly and keeps you interested. I Really enjoyed the book. I Will read the next one. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read series thrillers and action books.

steve spikes
May 17, 2016 steve spikes rated it really liked it
Good

Up to standard good plot good action and suspense.I enjoy the character of Nathan McBride even though he is larger than life.
michael alan cast
May 21, 2015 michael alan cast rated it it was amazing
Nathan McBride is an amazing character.

...Nathan McBride, a character created by a very talented writer, Andrew Peterson, is one of the most interesting characters I've ever read about. Nathan is an ex scout sniper that was captured by a monster, Montez de Oca; a monster that specializes in interrogation, his methods are truly a horror and difficult to comprehend by any sane person. Scarred both physically and mentally, Nathan still remains an honorable man, even though the torture has created a
Martha
I almost stopped at the beginning because the violence was too disturbing. But it calmed down. It may be a good series. I liked the leads.
Karen
Nov 07, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
The Interrogator

This is a great standalone addition to the Nathan McBride military suspense series and the Kindle Unlimited library. It further fleshes out the characters of Nathan McBride and Harvey Fortana, Marine scout sniper and spotter, former CIA operatives, and current partners in a California based security firm. In this book, Nathan squares off with his torturer from Nicaragua almost twenty years earlier, Montez Oca, an interrogator. Oca has been silent all these years, but a body was d
Chris Silva
Nov 04, 2016 Chris Silva rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
4.25/5 I thoroughly enjoyed the book! I'm really starting to enjoy Andrew Peterson's writing style. His character, Nathan McBride, seem to be more introspective in a realistic way than Vince Flynn's 'Mitch Rapp' or Brad Thor's 'Scot Harvath'. That said, sometimes the dialog boarders on cheesy or overly dramatic. Overall the pace of the book moved quickly and never left you wanting. I like how well detailed the scenes are but it's almost too detailed when it comes to roads and such. If you wanted ...more
Kerrie
Nov 16, 2016 Kerrie rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read

I am loving this series, when I'm not reading I'm thinking about the book and can't wait to get stuck back in. This particular book had me holding me breath in some places, I have already downloaded the next book and can't wait to see what else is to come.
S. R. Lewis
Oct 29, 2016 S. R. Lewis rated it really liked it
Very good

This is the second book in the series that I have read. I love the characters and the suspense and action. This one had too much torture for my reading, so I had to skip some pages. But all in all I love these books.
Janice
Oct 17, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great audio listen for fans of Jack Reacher. This series also uses the same narrator, who does a great job.
Josh Smith
Dec 24, 2015 Josh Smith rated it it was amazing
I read the first in this series about a month back and made it a point to come back and finish the series. I was a bit sidetracked reading other things and when I realized I needed a book that would give me a shot of testosterone, I came back here. I remember the first book being way too in-depth on descriptions. This one has fixed all that and created an action-packed thrill ride.

Nathan McBride was tortured by some dude named Montez de Oca. After McBride is released, Montez disappears for a few
Peter Fischer
Oct 11, 2016 Peter Fischer rated it it was amazing
Great Followup to First to Kill

Plenty of non stop action in this excellent book.
At times you are convinced that the culprit has been cornered only to find a way to evade capture.
Looking forward to reading the next sequel book " Option to Kill "
Monchari S
Jun 13, 2013 Monchari S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only 5 stars rate is suited for this wonderful series of Nathan McBride.
Thrill-Excited-Fast Pace and Breath Stopping !

The second book has not much Nathan and Harvey's action as book one, most go to information gathering works but still great. There were heart wrenching incidents. One of them made me wanted to cry and had to stop reading one day after finished the chapter. So sad, but beautiful incident.

As book 1, the story linked to the big picture of almost total law enforcement agencies in US
Danielle Young
Dec 14, 2012 Danielle Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love a good action novel, especially one where the action starts on the first page and doesn't let go until the story is over. But what I love more is an action novel that gives you all the heart pumping action with character development and a story. And that is what Andrew Peterson does with this series.

I was an instant fan of Nathan McBride in First to Kill and became an even bigger one in this installment. I always knew that Nathan was tough as nails and a true bad-a**, and I always
Jarek
May 27, 2016 Jarek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: covert-ops
“Forced to Kill” is the 2nd book in the series about Nathan McBride and Harvey Fontana, two retired Marine snipers and CIA operators, now running their own security company. Unfortunately the plot in this novel is not even nearly as good as in the 1st book.

The story starts with a single Marine being sent by the CIA on singleton mission which is so badly planned that it’s an insult to the CIA to even suggest they could have come up with such a stupid idea. The operation not only fails, but backf
Randy
Aug 13, 2014 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

But when the FBI recovers a mutilated body from a remote Utah lake, McBride needs just one glimpse to know the truth: Montez de Oca has resurfaced, this time on American soil. An

Arlene
This had good pacing and I liked the characters. It was one of those books that I didn't want to put down.

I read this book for the first time in May 2012, and just finished my second read of it. I found it just as exciting the second time around, and even caught some things on this second read-through that I'm pretty sure I missed the first time.

Summary: There is evidence that the interrogator who tortured Nathan on a botched mission years ago is not only back at work, he's working on US soil. N
wanda kinzer
Sep 21, 2016 wanda kinzer rated it it was amazing
Better than that first book

I thought this was a great book. It was better than the previous one. I look forward to the next one in the series.
Perry Martin
Aug 25, 2014 Perry Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forced to Kill the Second book in Nathan McBride series, Read by Award Winning Narrator Dick Hill. Dick Hill makes listening to this audiobook like watching a movie in your mind. The emotion and feelings of each character comes through. He enjoyment of Marine Sniper Nathan McBride grows with each book and with each listen.

This time Nathan must face the man who tortured him leaving him disfigured for life and almost dead some 10 years earlier. Could this interrogator be active again working in Am
Steve
Aug 24, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Nathan McBride series. I gave the first book the benefit if the doubt and awarded 3 stars based on it being the authors first book, hoping the 2nd would improve on it's wooden character but am afraid it doesn't!
Thus one revolves around the man hunt( first book was man hunt too....wonder what the 3rd is!) of the guy who tortured McBride.
The characters are still wooden, they lack depth and realisim. The dialogue is stoked and not how people speak to each other. It all feels
Sandra
Sep 07, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, thriller
Well it engaged my interest all the way through but has some cringe worthy emotional moments when Nathan confronts his torturer and his own hatred. It also is somewhat pro enhanced interrogation, inventing gruesome stories of events that were prevented by such means. Bah humbug.
Tom Tischler
Mar 14, 2014 Tom Tischler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mutilated body is discovered in a remote Utah lake and it
will shortly force former Marine sniper Nathan McBride to
confront some past events he would sooner forget. He will
once again face a cold blooded interrogator who tortured him
almost to the brink of death. Is this enemy active again and
is he on American soil. The evidence is clear and the stakes
are higher that Nathan can know. Soon a showdown will test
Nathan's understanding of justice and mercy. He is going to
have to make a life and deat
Linda
Feb 02, 2016 Linda added it
Shelves: finished
Nathan McBride has quickly become my favorite read -- this is my second book and I'm going back for another.

McBride finds himself trapped between a ruthless adversary hell-bent on revenge and a group of high-ranking federal officials who will stop at nothing to reap their own brand of justice. Here there are no rules, no protocol, no backup. Only McBride

I am a Jack Reacher fan trying to fill the void I found McBride.

Nathan must face the man who tortured him leaving him disfigured for life and
Bill Krieger
Nov 28, 2015 Bill Krieger rated it liked it
This is the second Nathan McBride book. My second too, and it's pretty similar to the first one. Good, not great. The buddy relationship between Nathan McBride and Harv is a highlight. I think the plot is stronger here as well.

The writing style and characters are just OK. It's pretty much Mitch Rapp lite.

QOTD

She tucked the stethoscope into her coat pocket. "You have some unusual scars on your body. May I assume you didn't get them learning to eat with a knife and fork?"

He managed a smile. "Yes
John Houston
Jan 19, 2016 John Houston rated it really liked it
This is a fine well constructed story about Ex Marine Nathan McBride and his hunt for his past brutal torturer Montez de Oca. I enjoyed Paterson's character development and the interaction of the three main characters (Nathan, Harvey and Holly) as they seek out the "baddie". I couldn't help feeling however that I was playing catch-up and missing Nathan's prior exploits and that did spoil the flow for me at times. Once into a few chapters I did find out this was indeed part of a series by ...more
Matt
Sep 01, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book in the series where we find Nathan confronting his nemesis with interesting results. I'm not going to mention the plot as plenty of others have already done far better than I could. But what I do what to say is that Nathan's character starts to be unfolded further in this thriller. You begin to see far more depth to him and what's shaped him.
I also liked the plot which twisted and turned and on a few occasions caught me by surprise, which just makes the book that much mor
Susan Moore
Sep 09, 2015 Susan Moore rated it it was amazing
#2 in a thrilling mystery ride.

I like the main character, Nathan, and his friend and partner, Harvey. Nathan's scars from an extremely long and horrific interrogation episode form the basis for this book, and make Nathan one of the most interesting characters I've come in this genre for some time.

Andrew Peterson's books are up to the level of Thor's, but at almost a third of the price. I bought the whole series after the first book, and I highly recommend this book if you like Thor and V. Lynn'
Christopher Collins
Sep 10, 2015 Christopher Collins rated it really liked it
An improvement from the original

My main gripe about this series is still present. Some of the ancillary characters still feel forced in their actions and development but overall Mcbride has good depth and feels like a real developing person. I don't understand how his development can feel so genuine while the others are lacking. This book is an overall improvement to the original. The writing dynamics were good in the first novel, but definitely improved in the sequel. On to the next.
  • The Collected (Jonathan Quinn, #6)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
  • The Devil's Waters (USAF Pararescue, #1)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • Ballistic (The Gray Man #3)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • PRIMAL Origin (PRIMAL #1)
  • The Naked Edge (Cavanaugh #2)
  • A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Thriller #1)
Andrew Peterson is the internationally bestselling author of the Nathan McBride series. Born and raised in San Diego, California, he attended La Jolla High School before enrolling at the University of Oklahoma, where he earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Architecture.

An excellent marksman, he holds the classification of Master in the NRA’s High Power Rifle ranking system. His familiarity with
More about Andrew Peterson...

Nathan McBride (6 books)
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
  • Option to Kill (Nathan McBride, #3)
  • Ready to Kill (Nathan McBride, #4)
  • Contract to Kill (Nathan McBride, #5)
  • Right to Kill (Nathan McBride, #6)

“vacation.” 0 likes
“Two.” “Is anyone else in there, like someone your boss tortured with a knife?” “I don’t know.” “Easy, partner,” 0 likes