Start by marking “The Great Gatsby” as Want to Read:
The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,549,207 Ratings  ·  47,796 Reviews
He was in love with the golden girl of a gilded era. He was Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire who gave wild and lavish parties attended by strangers.

"In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars."

She was Daisy Buchanan, a young rich beauty with bright eyes and a passionate mouth.

"High in a white palace,

Published March 1st 1987 by Cram Cassettes Study Guides (first published April 1925)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Gatsby, please sign up.

Christine I do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone…moreI do not think that 'transgender' is exactly the word you mean. I am pretty sure Nick identifies as a man, and he has not undergone any hormone treatments is 1922!! However -- I would say there is definite evidence that Nick has homo-erotic tendencies and most likely is in love with Gatsby.

I had read the novel twice and I never thought this before. But upon my 3rd read I discovered some passages that indicate Nick's homosexual tendencies. Namely -- Nick accompanies Mr. McKee home after a night of hard drinking and possibly ends up in his bed (p. 38). There are attractive women at the party, Nick has been paired off with Catherine, yet he leaves her and follows Mr. McKee, a total stranger, all the way home! In another incident, Nick is riding the train and he fantasizes about kissing the male conductor (p. 115). In another passage, Nick laments turning thirty and the fact that his list of 'single men' is dwindling (p. 135). These incidents are coupled with the fact that Nick repeatedly turns down offers from women, including Jordan Baker, girls from his home town and office romances. Nothing ever develops between Nick and any women, nor does he express desire for them. In such a beautifully written novel, Nick's attraction to any female would surely have been emphasized. But it is not. His infatuation for Gatsby is told many times and in great detail!

These clues are subtle, the kind of thing a reader might easily pass over. However, upon my 3rd read I must say the implications are definitely THERE.

It is a very layered and complicatetd novel. I believe Fitzgerald was attempting to encompass several sections of society. Why was he so vague? Remember, the novel was published in 1925, a time when people were jailed, beat up and killed for homosexuality.
Chrissa I don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll…moreI don't think so. There is this scene in chapter 6, and they're in the hotel, (Gatsby, Daisy, Tom, Jordan and Nick) and Tom says "... and next they'll throw everything overboard and have intermarriage between black and white."
Whereupon Jordan says: "We're all white here."(less)

Mar 10, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Great Gatsby is your neighbor you're best friends with until you find out he's a drug dealer. It charms you with some of the most elegant English prose ever published, making it difficult to discuss the novel without the urge to stammer awestruck about its beauty. It would be evidence enough to argue that F. Scott Fitzgerald was superhuman, if it wasn't for the fact that we know he also wrote This Side of Paradise.

But despite its magic, the rhetoric is just that, and it is a cruel facade. Be

Oh Gatsby, you old sport, you poor semi-delusionally hopeful dreamer with 'some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life', focusing your whole self and soul on that elusive money-colored green light - a dream that shatters just when you are *this* close to it.

Jay Gatsby, who dreamed a dream with the passion and courage few possess - and the tragedy was that it was a wrong dream colliding with reality that was even more wrong - and deadly.

Just like the Great Houdini - the association the
Jul 31, 2007 svnh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: one-more-time
After six years of these heated and polarized debates, I'm deleting the reviews that sparked them. Thanks for sharing your frustrations, joys, and insights with me, goodreaders. Happy reading!

In love and good faith, always,
Oct 28, 2009 Pollopicu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least-favorite classic of all time. Probably even my least favorite book, ever.
I didn't have the faintest iota of interest in neither era nor lifestyle of the people in this novela. So why did I read it to begin with? well, because I wanted to give it a chance. I've been surprised by many books, many a times. Thought this could open a new literary door for me.
Most of the novel was incomprehensibly lame. I was never fully introduced to the root of the affair that existed between Gatsb
Jay Gatsby, you poor doomed bastard. You were ahead of your time. If you would have pulled your scam after the invention of reality TV, you would have been a huge star on a show like The Bachelor and a dozen shameless Daisy-types would have thrown themselves at you.

Mass media and modern fame would have embraced the way you tried to push your way into a social circle you didn’t belong to in an effort to fulfill a fool’s dream as your entire existence became a lie and you desperately sought to re
Jan 11, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Over drinks, I’ve observed—like so many smart alecks—that much of The Great Gatsby’s popularity relies heavily on its shortness. At a sparse 180 pages, Fitzgerald’s masterpiece could be argued to be the “Great American novella.” Gatsby, like so many other short classics, is easily readable, re-readable, and assessable to everyone from the attention-deficient young to mothers juggling a kid, a career, and a long-held desire to catch up on all those books “they should have read but haven’t gotten ...more

Casual, self-absorbed decadence, the evaporation of social grace, money calling all the shots and memories of the past holding people hostage from the future that lies before them. Yes, Mr. Fitzgerald has nailed it and written one of THE great American novels.

This book was a surprise. I LOVED it and all of the deep contradictions swimming around its heart. At once a scathing indictment on the erosion of the American Dream, but also a bittersweet love letter to the unfailing optimism of the Ame
Jun 25, 2012 LooseLips rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the people who live in upstate egg.
Shelves: hmmm, re-reading
The eh Gatsby

Classic. Yes. THE great American novel. Hmph, so I heard. I suppose it should make one more interested, or at least feel more compelled to read something (or re-read as is the case here) when it has "classic" and "everyone else loves it!" stamped all over it. And has a movie made out of it, though what beloved novel hasn't these days? Of course, I originally read FSF's Gatsby because I was expected to for a high school English class. So, even though I was never the type to do homewo
Aug 03, 2007 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who can read
Shelves: favorites
Most Americans are assigned to read this novel in high school. Few American high schoolers have the wherewithal to appreciate this novel in full. I certainly did not. It is on a shortlist of novels that should, every 5 years starting at age 25, return to any American's required reading list.

First things first: The opening of The Great Gatsby -- its first 3-4 pages -- ranks among the best of any novel in the English language, and so too does its ending. Both for their content and for their prose,
Ian "Marvin" Graye
The True Value of Monopoly Money

Capitalism tends towards monopoly.

No capitalist welcomes a competitor or rival. Having attained wealth, the desire is to retain it, not to concede it; to increase it, not to share it.

A competitor is perceived as a threat, and will be treated like a virus invading an otherwise healthy, but vulnerable, body.

The Great American Dream

"The Great Gatsby" is often described as a paean to the Great American Dream.

This Dream supposedly sustains the average American. It of
Clau R.
Se me olvidó actualizar la info de este libro en GR, oops. Luego dejo un review por acá, aunque ya expliqué mi sentir en el Wrap up de Los Juegos de Booktube, en el canal.

OH, y no estoy segura del rating que le puse al libro, en estos días pensaré si debo subirlo o bajarlo, sigo muy pensativa al respecto.

My essay on The Great Gatsby and reification

Why do I love The Great Gatsby?

A lot of people would likely agree with me when I say that F.Scott Fitzgerald's writing here leaves only a little to be desired. The characters themselves seem shallow and empty, lacking in morality and you could take all this into consideration and instantly go: 'well that's a shallow book if ever I've heard of one.' But in my eyes, The Great Gatsby is a scathing social commentary that explores the fruitlessness of pur
There was one thing I really liked about The Great Gatsby.

It was short.

Brian Yahn
Jul 08, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone 17+
Shelves: favorites
Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan are two of the most memorable characters in literature. F. Scott Fitzgerald weaves them tragically together in this perfectly plotted masterpiece.

Every scene is unforgettable--so distinct and unique--from the grandest party ever recorded, to the most tense fight ever written, to the most perfectly dark twisted love affair of all time, to the most pathetically sad funeral imaginable.

When people say this is the best book ever written, they're not kidding. It's so good

i love this book. yes, it is a story about vapid and shallow people who live selfish and hedonistic lives and treat other people like playthings, but there is an elegance, a restraint to the prose that manages to discuss, in the same tone, both doomed love and the breakdown of the american dream. and it is masterful. some may say the great american novel.

and so this:

makes me want to tear my eyes out with my hands and stomp on them forever and ever.

yeah, yo
Feb 14, 2014 Rolls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody and their mother
"The Great Gatsby" is considered by many to be the zenith of American fiction writing in the last century. I won't say that it is the best American novel I've read but I will say it is probably the most perfect.

Along with J.D. Salinger, Fitzgerald has got to be my favorite writer of fiction. As opposed to Hemingway's bluntness, and Faulkner's artiness, Fitzgerald's prose seems(to paraphrase Michael Chabon) to rain down from style heaven. His style in fact is like the ladies he writes about: cool
Jun 16, 2013 Cecily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if my appreciation of this should be tempered by the fact I was about three quarters of the way through before I realised I'd read it before (though I think it was many years ago)!

It is (mostly) set in Long Island in summer of 1922, amongst the young, idle, amoral rich, playing fast and loose with their own lives and indeed, those of others. All very glamorous, self-centred, and shallow, but the possibility of darker things lurking holds interest and tension.

Even if y
Paul Bryant
May 10, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This is an all right-ish kind of novel, I suppose, but I always preferred Fitzgerald’s little-known prequel The Average Gatsby, although some people found the vision of Mervyn Gatsby, Jay’s obscure brother, living a reasonably okayish life as the manager of a carpet and upholstery warehouse in Des Moines a trifle dispiriting. I quite agree that The Bad Gatsby was a shameless self-ripoff which did Fitzgerald no favours. (The threesome scene between Warren Harding, John Dillinger and Gatsby was in ...more
Now I'm getting pissed off at classics too. I seem to be upping my game.

How much shallowness can one person stand.
Well, if I feel betrayed, imagine Jay.

Newsflash sweetheart, when a man wants to give you the world, the least you can do is send a flower to his funeral.

I suppose he would have had you not destroyed him.

I've never respected a fictional character more.

And the best part is that now, we don't even have the excuse of a battle between the old wealth and the new rich of the 1920s. Th
Like many people, I first read The Great Gatsby when I was too young to understand it. I appreciated the beauty of Fitzgerald's prose and his gift for describing scenes, but disliked quite a few of his characters and couldn't fathom why they inspired in each other the degree of devotion and obsession that they seemed to do. I also found the narrator a bit dull and the ending a huge let-down. In short, I was convinced Fitzgerald was a good writer (I actually went on to check out some of his short ...more
Henry Avila
Oct 16, 2016 Henry Avila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jay Gatsby, is a mysterious young man, who gives extravagant parties on Long Island, New York, outside his palatial mansion , in the warm, lazy, summer nights. That he doesn't know the people he invites, not to mention the numerous gatecrashers, might make it a little strange, but this being the roaring 20's, anything goes, rumors abound about Gatsby, bootlegger ? Who cares, as long as the free liquor flows, the great food served, and the beautiful music, continues playing. Finally attending one ...more
F. Scott Fitzgerald in his intricately patterned novel, spectacularly draws an enigmatic millionaire and his exceedingly idealistic passion for a beautiful, but insincere woman in an unprecedented flourishing era. Today happiness largely defined by the acquisition of material things, as epitomized by this timeless novel, The Great Gatsby continues to embody the American Dream.

“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had
Dec 18, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Car owners
This book becomes far better when you take all of Gatsby's mystery and just think of him as Batman. The whole book falls into place!
May 27, 2016 Brina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
One of the themes of my reading this year is to reread the classic books I read while in school and view them through adult eyes. It is in this light that I read F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby and rated it 3.5 stars.
Taking place during the roaring twenties in Long Island, New York, the story features the up and coming generation, veterans of the Great War and adherents of the American Dream. Our narrator is Nick Carraway a war veteran who has moved east to seek his future in the stocks
Feb 16, 2009 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a bookclub read that I've not read for many many years. It was of course assigned reading in both high school and college. I remember pouring over all the various aspects of this book and picking it a part like disecting a frog.

Now that I'm older....much older. This reading broght a whole new light on this book for me. And I'm sorry to say....I think this book is HIGHLY overrated.

This book was never a sucess (either critically or via sales) when it was released and I think that it actu
Aug 16, 2012 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It was sadder than I thought it would be.. but it was beautiful. The ambiance is what got me.. the world I was in just AHH SO GOOD.
Feb 04, 2008 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-list
Apparently the colors yellow and white represent sickness and goodness, respectively. I learned this from my Honors English friends after I had read the book on my own, and was very thankful I didn't have to read this for a class and be forced to write papers analyzing the terrifically brilliant symbolism and prose etc etc. It would have completed ruined an otherwise extremely good and exciting story.

PS: The character Daisy appears good and innocent, but at her core is actually rotted and evil.
Sep 07, 2016 orsodimondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
Romanzo che mi è parso molto, molto cinematografico (anche se non credo Fitzgerald avesse ancora incominciato a lavorare a Hollywood quando Gatsby fu pubblicato).
Ma il cinema per gli US (e per noi italiani) è la forma d’arte esportata meglio nel corso del Novecento, quella che si è diffusa di più, è diventata più famosa. Fitzgerald anche in questo seppe cogliere l’aria del tempo (e poi restare eterno co
Feb 26, 2016 7jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: especially older first-time readers; for a view on American dream's light and darkness
(a 'book most of my GR friends have on their list' #1 book
How many really have the 'blue face' cover - how many just chose it because they found it beautiful, or because they couldn't/wouldn't change it? *shrug*
This book's Finnish title is 'The Gold Hat', but I don't like that one much, one reason why I got this one instead.)

I think reading this book, "Trimalchio In West Egg" (which echoes the book by Petronius), "Under The Red, White, And Blue", "The Great Gatsby", at my present age for the fir
The deaths of Myrtle, Gatsby, and Wilson... 29 22 Oct 08, 2016 07:32AM
About Daisy 45 141 Oct 04, 2016 11:12AM
The Buchanans' fate 1 10 Sep 28, 2016 07:11AM
'Time of Cholera' is a South American sequel to 'Gatsby' 4 14 Sep 17, 2016 04:37AM
Leonardo duh-Caprio has the face of a swine 7 13 Sep 14, 2016 09:15AM
Paper & Glam Book...: Septemer 2016: The Great Gatsby 9 79 Sep 11, 2016 05:43PM
Around the Year i...: The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald 14 66 Sep 04, 2016 06:42AM
  • The Professor's House
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • The Things They Carried
  • Islands in the Stream
  • Rabbit Angstrom: The Four Novels
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” 9589 likes
“I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” 8569 likes