Start by marking “Heller (Heller, #1)” as Want to Read:
Heller (Heller, #1)

Heller (Heller #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  5,212 Ratings  ·  463 Reviews
Despite having no experience or skills, Tilly Chalmers can’t believe her luck when she lands a dream job in a security and surveillance business owned by the dangerously attractive Heller. But she soon discovers her new boss is a man of many secrets. And what is she to make of the strange group of people who live with him? After her first two assignments go disastrously wr ...more
Nook, 271 pages
Published May 30th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Heller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heller

Aisling Zena

Re-read 4/12/2015

5 stars

Quick note before the review this book is free on Amazon!

I decided to write this review after I practically inhaled the words off the pages of all 6 books currently out. Three days later and I'm still thinking about the series and want to read more.

This book starts with an introduction to Tilly, an aspiring actress that gets fired from her job and dumped from her agent. She desperately needs a
Ingela
Written December 8, 2015

3.8 Stars - Yay I'm convinced! I'm forever a drooling Heller admirer

Maybe not a professional catchy tempting book-cover but I read a very promising serial blurb and some happy reviews. It sounded as something for me after a "angsty, sad & intense" book. I wanted to be amused and I got some giggling hours.

So much fun — It will be many more 'Heller' books
Very happy did I just finish this first book-part in the Australian Heller serial (6 full length books so f
Karen
Jul 10, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a breath of fresh air!!!!!! I LOVED this adorable little story!!!!!! I'm totally hooked!!!!!

The characters are fabulous, the storyline is intense, while at the same time funny. So incredibly unique, I'm having a hard time describing my feelings. What I can say is that I couldn't pull my eyes from the book. I laughed out loud frequently, teared up at times too. This collection of misfits at Heller Security and Surveillance got under my skin to the point that I wanted to jump right into the p
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
Lemme tell you the effect this book had on me..the bed Shook (Yes shook I said).

NOOOO it was not because of any amorous activity. It was because it was 3.30 in morning and I was still awake at the dead of night unable to put this damn book down, when I read "the" most funniest scene I have ever read in a book.

To suppress my laughing, I'd stuffed my quilt in my mouth to try and stop the involuntary roar that was trying to escape. I was belly laughing so hard (yep you've got it) the bed shook!! I
Brenna

When I finished this book a couple weeks ago, I was really conflicted over my rating. After re-reading all my highlights, it really reminded me how much I actually enjoyed about this book. There were just a few things that made my rating lower though, but I’ll get into that later…

Heller is told by Tilly (aka Matilda). She is an aspiring actress who lives with some creepy twin guys and her self-centered best friend, Dixie. She can’t make rent, has $20 to her name, was dumped by her agent
Ian
If you crossed Janet Evanovich and Kristen Ashley, she might look something like this.

description

And Heller is the book she would write.

The cover is awful! Truly horrendous....it might look great in other situations....in a larger format....in a graphic novel....whatever, but as a cover it's a disaster.

The book on the other hand is great.

Lady Heather
May 17, 2014 Lady Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: contemporary romance-humor, sassy-kick-ass women

Um....why haven't I read this book sooner?
I'll tell you why, because of the cover. In this case, PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE THIS BOOK BY IT'S COVER!

This book was.. FASCINATING! (I can't think of a better word to describe it. Okay, NOW I sound like Spock)

The characters intrigued me right from the beginning, and had me captivated right til the very end. I seriously can't wait to finish this short review so I can start the next book. (Yep, totally hooked!)

The writing, storyline, and again the characters w
Ash Wednesday
Mar 04, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the Rock Chick series
3 STARS

This series was tossed around the KA Addicts' Support Group a while back and I can see the similarities: alpha male hero, spunky heroine with mothering ways, secondary characters begging for a mother-figure (lots of cooking on this one)... it was like reading a Rock Chick book without Daisy (which I still strongly believe would be a STUPENDOUS improvement for that series) and the annoying womanly screeching turned to a minimum.

Funky cover aside, this little freebie had me cracking up we
Nikki Nik
Apr 03, 2013 Nikki Nik rated it it was amazing
I'm going to review books 1-4 in this review. Why? Because I'm extremely lazy and don't want to do a review for each one.

I picked up the first book for free 3 days ago, and even with a full time job, I've managed to read all four books. They were that engrossing. JD Nixon is an incredible writer. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard reading a book.

I love the way she writes her characters. I ADORE Tilly. She's so sweet and kind. I do wish that she wasn't such a doormat sometimes, though. She
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
3.5 Stars. Plucky heroine. Hero that annoys me. No sex. Hysterical polygamous marriage security plot at one point. This is more like if you like shows like moonlighting and Castle, where there's ALWAYS sexual tension, but never sex. Then this book is for you.

The Hot Bunch would beat the hell out of Heller for not protecting Tilly.
Searock
Dec 02, 2012 Searock rated it really liked it
If you and I have even a few favorite books in common, you must discover this series!
Highly, highly recommended.
~Kristin~
Apr 18, 2015 ~Kristin~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars
I really liked this book, Tilly was awesome! I'm not sure about the creepy book cover, but the story was an entertaining and fun to read!
Paige  Bookdragon
Feb 05, 2015 Paige Bookdragon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Paige by: Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs

Hilarious and likable.
CBDS
Um.. I don't get the fascination people have with this book.
Yeah, it has a quirky heroine. A hero who is 'intense'(apparently, according to the heroine who used this word more than once to describe him). And supporting characters who aren't that bad.

But, the plot was ridiculous.

I'm sorry. But this story was ridiculous.
I mean, we meet the heroine whose dressed as a frikkin Watermelon in the beginning of the book and it goes on an on till she finally meets the hero! The hero finds her weird or o
Federica °Kah rahna fauna°
Jan 08, 2014 Federica °Kah rahna fauna° rated it really liked it
I really like it,it was original and i laughed,cried and i've been kept on my toes.Heller is uber hot and there are huge handsome guys everywhere so a huge plus ;)

fangirl gif photo: Fangirl 21b65v6.gif

Marianne
Aug 13, 2014 Marianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: hot-badboys, humorous
Series review:

When aspiring actress; Tilly Chalmers gets booted off her latest gig as a singing and dancing fruit in a children’s show, little does she know that her life is about to change forever.
Landing a job at Heller security , she soon finds herself trying to manage:
- lusty Arabian wives
-a sleazy polygamist pastor
-an Elvis impersonator with a bad hip and a penchant for kicking people in the goulies
-a spider infested T-Rex
-horrible hippie farmers
-and a little boy that’s not really there
Sali
Sep 06, 2012 Sali rated it it was amazing
i absolutely loved this book !!!!

it kept me up all night & gripping my ipad !!!

i found myself yelling at my kindle on more than 1 occasion ....which scared the living crap out of my hubby at 1am lmao....which just add to my entertainment :)

The author has created 2 amazing lead characters . A strong sassy female named Tilly who finds herself in more than 1 sticky situation & manages to wiggle , kick & claw her way out of them .....& in the most awesome & interesting ways .....
Debra
Sep 04, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you like old school Kristen Ashley and mysterious alpha males
This was a fun quick read. I started off not really liking Tilly but she quickly grew on me. Still not sure if I like the best friend Dixie though. The other characters were also really good, the mysterious alpha-male Heller, teenaged goth Niq, and sweet coworker Daniel all kept me interested and wanting more of their stories.

I liked that the Heller-Tilly relationship wasn't a predictable girl meets alpha guy and immediately succumbs to all of his demands. Will definitely read the next to see h
Anna
Jul 03, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
5 stars may be too generous for this, because let's get real..it's not a great piece of literature, but I loved it! The cover and title caught my attention and so I randomly downloaded it on my nook. I was bored and decided to just read the first few pages... but I couldn't stop until I finished! I love the ensemble of quirky characters and strange situations the heroine finds herself in (even though I know they are completely unrealistic!). The tension between Tilly and Heller is fun, but geez, ...more
Erica
Sep 24, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
This is one that I've had just sitting on my Nook for ages (at least a year). I've tried to pick it up a couple times, but something would always come out that I wanted to read more so I'd "toss it back on the shelf". I can't believe it took me so long! This book was hilarious, yet angsty. I loved the tension between Tilly and Heller (think Experiment in Terror, Book 1: Perry and Dex) and can't wait to see where it goes. Also, loved Niq, Daniel and the twins. I can't wait to find out what Heller ...more
Krissy
This was a surprisingly good book for a Kindle freebie. I liked Tilly and I thought all the secondary characters were great. Especially Nik and Daniel. I would continue this series just to read more about them. If you are looking for something quick and fun (and FREE!) then I would definitely recommend this one.
Sarah Camargo
Sep 20, 2012 Sarah Camargo rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin with this review? Well first let me say what an ass I feel like because In my head I was thinking that this book would probably suck because it was a freebie. Can I say how happy I am to be so wrong? I started off reading this book at 10pm and told myself I would just read 1 chapter to see how I like it. Well 11:30 came around and I told myself I would stop reading at midnight and next thing I know it's 130 in the morning so I said ok when 2am comes around I'm putting it do ...more
Catherine Gordon
Aug 03, 2012 Catherine Gordon rated it did not like it
This was a free ebook so always worth a try. From the start when our heroine was working as a watermelon wedge being sexually harassed from her boss I didn't really know where this was going. Basically "Tilly" lands a dream job, her boss is gorgeous and a constant temptation however the majority of the book is her being attacked by various men in numerous circumstances both in her personal and work life. While she always manages to escape usually through her own attacks the amount of injuries sh ...more
Blair
Aug 28, 2012 Blair rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
NOT my cup of tea. I got about 30 pages in and the author's overuse of adjectives and superlative phrases drove me NUTS! You don't have to desribe everything in a scene! Especially since everything she described is either smelly or foul in some other way. It totally turned my stomach reading about wearing a putrid costume that had never been washed and stepping into a shower that had likewise never been washed. There are ways of describing such things in a way that adds depth to a book without ...more
Helen
Dec 01, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
I love this series. I can understand that it's not for everyone, and the writing definitely goes off the reservation at points, but if you can stick with it and get past some of the issues that I would guess stem from a lack of editor, then it really is worth it.

It's a quirky and fun book, that occasionally get surprisingly serious, and I think that's part of why I loved it - it does thinks you don't expect! I read the rest of the series in quick succession after this one, and one warning is tha
Carolyn F.
Jun 30, 2014 Carolyn F. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolyn F. by: Darcy
Audiobook - I also own the e-book

This is an example of a booked being hyped so much that I kept expecting to be wowed as I went along and felt nothing really. It reads more as a play by play of employment events with unrequited lust thrown in. I don't think I'll read more of this series.
.chel.
Nov 21, 2014 .chel. rated it liked it
It was interesting enough. It kind of had a 'Kathleen Turner'/'Rock Chick' vibe to it but not, if that makes sense. Considering how Heller owns his own security firm, I was shocked to find that he couldn't keep Tilly safe.

I'm still undecided if I'll continue this series.
Kathy V
Aug 15, 2013 Kathy V rated it really liked it
This was lots of fun! Tilly is a trip! I'm moving on to book two.
Jeanny
Jan 26, 2016 Jeanny rated it it was amazing
This book counts towards Cliterary Genius 2016 A to Z book challenge. Letter H
Keri
Feb 01, 2013 Keri rated it really liked it

This book started off really snarky and funny and there was one point where I could not stop laughing, it took me 10 minutes to be able to continue on. As the book continued on I did chuckle a few more times but nothing quite like that first laugh.

The story is good. I like the characters and I like Tilly although I wish Tilly would stick up for herself a little more with Heller. Sometimes I can't believe the stuff she lets him get away with in regards to her personal life.

Anyway, it's obvious t
JD Nixon: General Heller Discussion 42 77 May 28, 2014 04:00AM
JD Nixon: Finish This Story - Heller: Tilly's Adventure 132 41 Sep 22, 2013 08:02PM
JD Nixon: Two Choices, Pick One 28 27 Aug 18, 2013 08:17PM
JD Nixon: * Heller (Heller #1) 47 64 Aug 11, 2013 05:38PM
JD Nixon: This topic has been closed to new comments. Finish This Story - Heller: Meeting Victor 79 40 Mar 20, 2013 10:11AM
Heller, What a fantastic series 3 50 Mar 14, 2013 01:34PM
Where is this set in?????? 4 41 Mar 14, 2013 12:15PM
  • Under Construction
  • Baptism of Fire (Draconi Series, #1)
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
  • Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)
  • Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #1)
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Healed (Rebirth, #2)
  • Black In White (Quentin Black Mystery, #1)
  • Reason (Greystone, #3)
  • Shock and Awesome (Lexi Graves Mysteries, #4)
  • Happily Ever After (Russian Bear, #4)
  • The Other Fish in the Sea (Grab Your Pole, #2)
  • Xander's Chance (Damian Eternal, #1)
  • Rock Chick Revenge (Rock Chick, #5)
  • Broken Spirits (Scary Mary, #3)
I am an indie Australian author with seven ebooks published through Smashwords: Heller, Blood Ties, Heller's Revenge, Blood Sport, Heller's Girlfriend, Heller's Punishment and Blood Feud. I'm currently working on the fifth in the Heller series, titled Heller's Decision.
More about J.D. Nixon...

Heller (6 books)
  • Heller's Revenge (Heller, #2)
  • Heller's Girlfriend (Heller, #3)
  • Heller's Punishment (Heller, #4)
  • Heller's Decision (Heller, #5)
  • Heller's Regret (Heller, #6)

“If it has ever been your fantasy to have a tall sexy Viking smothering you, let me tell you it's nowhere near as much fun as it initially sounds” 12 likes
“Well, the recipe said 180 degrees for forty-five minutes,” 3 likes