Bud & Me: The True Adventures of the Abernathy Boys

Bud & Me: The True Adventures of the Abernathy Boys

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Bud & Me is one of the 20th Century's most exciting true stories of courage and adventure. The year is 1905. The new century is still in its infancy. Automobiles are little more than rich men's toys and many short-sighted people feel that everything that can be invented has been invented! In the early 1900's there are only 150 miles of paved road in the entire country....more
Published April 1st 1998 by Dove Creek Pr (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Bud & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bud & Me

Melinda
This is a very sweet book, but an amazing one. Written by the wife of the youngest of the two Abernathy Boys, it chronicles their adventures when only 9 and 5 years old respectively! Encouraged by their father, "Catch 'em Alive" Jack Abernathy (the catching alive has to do with catching wild wolves barehanded!), to travel and discover, the two brothers journey across the United States on horseback. How they take care of each other, their horses, and make friends along the way is amazing.

I parti...more
Mike Radice
Interesting read. I'm still amazed that boys so young were encouraged to do this, but it was a different time back then (or at least I hope it was).
Shelley
This was a very interesting book. It was almost impossible to believe at times, although I am sure it was completely true. In this day and age I doubt anyone would consider it a wise idea to allow your sons, ages 5 and 9 to go on a lengthy trip alone, much less on several trips many hundreds of miles long. In fact, law enforcement and Child Services would probably have the parents arrested and the kids in custody pretty darn quick. Interesting that the only time they were really confronted by an...more
Randall Swanson
great perspective on the history of the time and a bygone era. However, the love and adventures of two brothers is timeless.
Melissa
What an awesome adventure story, mostly because it's true!!! And I live in Oklahoma! I've seen old (super old) video of these boys' dad, Jack Abernathy catching wolves with his bare hands with Teddy Roosevelt. That was awesome. But then to find out that his boys, at just ages 5 and 9 traveled by themselves on horseback all over the USA, that is just amazing.
It definitely brings up the question of whether we coddle our children a little too much, and don't give kids enough credit for what they a...more
Gretchen
This is one of the books I read while waiting for the power to come back on as a result of Hurricane Sandy. This is an interesting (and true) account of two very young, brave boys who traveled across the country, unaccompanied by any adult. The early 1900's were a simpler time, but there were still many dangers faced by the boys. The one disappointment I felt was there was little depth to the story. The book was written by the wife of the younger brother based on the stories he told, many years...more
Shalee9000
I loved this book and can't wait to read it to my child. It's an exciting and seemingly implausible tale........but it's true! How did I not know about these boys before now? Filled with excitement & humor, this is a good, old-fashion yarn that will entertain both young & old. (The audio book is good as well).
Debra
In the early 1900's 2 boys, aged 6 and 9 convince their father to let them ride their horses from Texas to Santa Fe to visit the governor. This is the start of several even more adventurous treks that they take, meeting people both famous and ordinary, and having the greatest adventures. The audio book is extremely well done with sound effects and an expressive narrator. Be sure to visit the Budandme.com website to enjoy the photos.
Aaron
Excellent book! I read this to my son & was astounded to learn that this was indeed true & factual history! Went to Fredrick, OK and visited the Pioneer Museum there where they have a small but nice gallery about the book & some original artifacts. If you go, be sure to get a coin of the boys & see the bronze statue of them at the courthouse. Don't forget to call the Pioneer Museum ahead of time for the hours. A must read!
Steelman
Dec 26, 2011 Steelman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents, Children
Recommended to Steelman by: My Wife and Children
I read this book to my seven-year-old son. I was continually amazed at the self-reliance they were taught by their father as they undertook multiple cross-country trips (by themselves!!). We worry today about our children going across the street because of "the danger involved" or "someone we don't know." This is tale of courage and resourcefulness.
Terrie
I listened to this one. Throughout the entire first CD I kept repeating "5" because the kid was only 5 years old when he was doing this stuff! Afterwards, I had to look at the book because I wanted to see the pictures and the newspaper clippings that proved that it all really happened. It's truly astounding. A great listen.
Dawn Roberts
Truly mind-boggling story of brothers who became celebrities after their dad gave them permission to ride their horses from Oklahoma to New York City. The history they rode through was amazing...visits with Quanah Parker, the Wright Brothers, and Teddy Roosevelt. What an amazing experience in an amazing time.
Rachel
Interesting to see how times have changed for children in just a relatively short time span. Amazing that these boys made the trips they took at such young ages.
Crystian Hicks
Jul 02, 2012 Crystian Hicks marked it as to-read
This book happens to be about my boyfriends family. So excited to get to read it since I live an hour from the town they celebrate them in. Frederick, OK.
Mercedes
Best part? True story. My sons loved the boys' adventures and wished we lived during a time when there was no such thing as a driver's license.
Debbie
About two YOUNG boys and their travels (alone) in the early 1900's. Fascinating just knowing they travelled without adults. Short read.
beyondthepale70
we should teach our children not to have too much fear to try new things. an amazing true story-okies and longriders take note.
Heidi
marvelous adventures!
Heath Selcer
Heath Selcer marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Cindy Pipkin
Cindy Pipkin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Carol Copeland
Carol Copeland marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Jacob Cheatham
Jacob Cheatham marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Leah
Leah added it
May 19, 2014
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014