Korpinmusta (Vampyyripäiväkirjat, #1)

Korpinmusta (The Vampire Diaries #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  32,313 ratings  ·  1,843 reviews
Rakkaus on hengenvaarallista -
Vampyyrisarjojen kulttiklassikko viimeinkin suomeksi

Suosittu Elena tapaa koulussa mystisen Stefanin ja tietää olevansa mennyttä. Kohtalokkaan rakkauden myötä paha hiipii Fell´s Churchin pikkukaupunkiin. Myös Stefanin kostonhaluinen veli Damon ilmestyy kuvioihin.

Vampyyripäiväkirjojen alkuperäinen trilogia julkaistiin Amerikassa jo 1991. Kuuma v...more
Published 2010 by Otava (first published 1991)

Elle

If you can only have one star, it may as well be a Death Star.
Anthi
My god!!! What can I say about this book?? IT IS A BAD BOOK!!! It has bad cheesy prose, a snotty annoying (and kind of a bimbo) heroine and the cliched, brooding Byronic vampire hero, needless to say that the moment they lay their eyes upon each other they fall hopelessly in love. Oh yes!! I can't believe I almost forgot!!!!! The mother of all originalities... it also has a love triangle!!!! I think it's safe to say that this book is the poster book for cheesy YA pnr books and since it was writt...more
Petra (Safari Poet)
I didn't expect this book to be what it was. I was planning on reading the series, but I kinda forced myself to finish this book, which is obviously not a good sign.

Elena's characters wasn't likeable. I don't mind the being popular part, I just couldn't stand it when she was ordering people around to find out information about Stefan. And when she realizes that *gasp*, she might not get the guy, it's like the world will end because she didn't get what she wanted for once.

The highs and lows barel...more
Nightfalltwen
Written long before Twilight. SMeyer's claim of never having read Vampire fiction is absurd. There are FAR TOO MANY parallel's between LJ Smith's characters and Smeyer's.

And when it comes down to it? SMeyer has nothing on LJ Smith.

The story is refreshing and action packed. The characters are likeable. Stefan and Damon are interesting. And they don't SPARKLE!

All in all? 9 billion times better than Twilight. I can't wait to read the next one
Raleigh
What a waste of 2-3 hours. Thankfully, it wasn't any longer than that.

There is absolutely nothing interesting about this book. The plot is trite. When am I going to learn to shun all vampire books?

Elena, the main character, has to be one of the most annoying characters. She is "perfect", self-centered, and has no personality. And she's just plain stupid. She becomes obsessed with having (I hate when people say the want to "have" someone >_<) Stefan, the new guy. Besides the fact the he is...more
Margot
After reading the vampire trilogy by Stephenie Meyer, I thought I would continue my bloodthirsty fiction rampage with this older teenage vampire trilogy. Lo and behold, it's almost the same story! Oh, Stephenie Meyer, now I know how you cranked out those three fat (should have been heavily edited) books in such a short span of time! For shame!
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2010 Stephanie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one at all; tweens can and should do better
Recommended to Stephanie by: the far superior TV series
Read Awakening legally and for free here courtesy of the publisher. But please keep adequate amounts of brain bleach on hand.
What can I say? I read this on the usually-safe assumption that the book would be better than its adaptation. Differences are usually in the book's favor, but for once this is not the case. The TV series is a dramatically revised and very loose adaptation of the book, and a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. I'd give the TV series 4 stars, but this book is among the most worthless I have e...more
Lindsey
Okay, this was MY Twilight before there was Twilgiht. I read this series when I was about thirteen. I was already into vampires in my preppy goth kind of way, and this one made me say SQUEE! This book is from the early 90's, but with the Twilight phenomenon, it's now been reissued, bound with a new cover featuring some blonde model, and is being considered as the basis of a TV series on CW (not sure how I feel about that). I like the original cover better (featured above). I had to bid on ebay f...more
Ronja
May 05, 2011 Ronja rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: little squealing school girls
I came to that book by the internet. A lot of people recommended it and I thought it MUST be right. Gosh, did I failed.
It's one of the first book I was eager to give away and I really regret that I bought it. At first the cover of my german version is ugly (yeah I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but it IS ugly)

Second, I am really fed up with all this "ooohw dark handsome mysterious guy" or even better TWO gorgeous brothers. I mean do we normal human girls now all have to wait for our Mr....more
Sarah Pierce
These were some of my favorite books as a teenager. They are about a high school student, Elena Gilbert, who is torn between two hot vampire brothers. Melodrama ensues. They are not the most mature books, but they are all about nostalgia for me. Of course, as I get older, I think that a lot of the things Elena does are downright stupid, but I still remember how romantic it all seemed when I was 14.
Isamlq
If the show had not been made, if I had not read a ton of other vampire books, THE AWAKENING might have been OK. Since the show was made and since I have read a ton of YA PNR with vampires as the central figure… I am amazed that I finished it.

First: This book pales in comparison to the show. So from here on out I am not even going to bother with a comparison.

Second: I hate Elena! Flighty, believing herself entitled, and very insensitive to the needs and feelings of those around her (poor Matt!)...more
Merary
Well, well, well. This is the book that actually started the cliche storm that influenced the Twilight series. Put it in your book history book (Whaa?), my dear readers!

I haven't seen the TV series yet (I will until I finish the entire series. I can't wait for Nina Dobrev, one of my favorite actresses!), but I'm pretty sure it's so much better than this. I don't know, maybe it was the writing that set me off. I wouldn't say it was terrible, it just wasn't . . . good. I will say it once again: Sh...more
Hannah S.
I've watched the tv show for quite a while, which I admit definitely colors my reception of the book. But I could not get past the first few chapters. I tried, because I wanted to see how the books differed from the show. I really did try, which is why I made it to the third chapters instead of the just the first. The writing was sub-par and I just could not relate to any of the characters. They seemed like caricatures, all obsessed with popularity and being the "queen bee," and I just couldn't...more
Blodeuedd Finland

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1)
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Pages: 272
Published: 1991
The Vampire Diaries #1

Ok the vampire diaries. First yes I get why they have this cover, but when she has dark hair and Elena has blonde, it's just weird.

Elana fancies a boy, the boy Stefan is a vampire, she wants him, he is scared for her sake, they get together.

That was the short version.

First, 17 year old girl, 500 year old vampire, eww.

Ok to the story. I didn't like Elena. She was the most beautiful gi...more
J.D. Stroube
After reading this book for the fifth or sixth time, I still enjoyed it! It reminds me of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

I have about a million positive things to say and only one negative: Elena says "I love you" too quickly. The fact that such a serious statement is made at such an early stage in the book...irritates me. I love you is not something to be taken lightly, and when said too early it makes me think of puppy love, not undying love.

Other than that single annoyance...this book is endear...more
Anne
Well, I didn't like this book. Not at all. I read half of the book and then got really really bored so I scanned the pages til the end. I was both relieved and disappointed. Disappointed because the book wasn't good. I did not like the characters - especially Elena. And relieved because I was saved from another half a day of pure stupidity.

Elena's obsession with the Stefan was just too annoying plus there were a bunch of stupidly infuriating scenes that were so, well.. infuriating and stupid. Ta...more
Aiman
I only read about 1-2 chapters of this book. And I after searching high and low, reading through thesauruses and pondering for hours, I have come up with the perfect word to describe The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1) Eww. I can hear you applauding me so I shall take a virtual bow. Thank you. Thank you. I know, right? Eww, eww, eww.

What do we have here? A vain, self-absorbed and depressed teenager and an ancient, lovesick vampire who devours...wait for it... fluffy, innocent, fluffy, cute, f...more
Lexa
Gah. This book.

description

To be honest, since Fury disappointed me, I didn't expect much from The Vampire Diaries.

But...

And so am I.

Everyone in this book is batshit crazy. Damon is batshit crazy, Katherine is batshit crazy and Elena isn't really far.

description

I should really stop with the pictures.

Elena, besides being crazy as fuck and having a bipolar disorder, she has no personality. Actually, none of the characters has a personality. No dreams, no ambitions, no hobbies, no fears. They're all like blank papers....more
Natalie
Jackie "the Librarian"
Before there was Twilight, or "True Blood", there was the Vampire Diaries series, soon to be a tv series on the CW. With many changes from the books, I'm sure. Oh, no, not another teen vampire series, I can hear you thinking, and yes, it has similarities to Twilight: a school setting, a vampire/human romance, and a good vs. evil vampire subplot. But the Vampire Diaries came first (they were written in the early 90s), and the similarities end there.

Instead of a dorky new girl as a protagonist, El...more
Emma Meade
Finished reading it again. Last time was probably 10 years ago.
Great book. Elena is a very different girl from the tv show: self-centred, cocky, selfish, domineering, the ultimate Queen B but I found her character refreshing. So many protagonists in YA fiction these days are wall flowers and misfits so it made a change to read someone who was bold and uber confident.
The Awakening is very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
eleonora -
Elena è antipatica. Le sue amiche sono antipatiche. Perfino Stefan è antipatico. Ma Elena è la peggiore: dobbiamo sorbirci una protagonista piena di sé, saccente e vanesia per tutto il tempo. Non avrei mai pensato di dirlo, ma preferisco largamente il telefilm che ne è stato tratto.
Tracey
NAME THAT BOOK

First we have
Photobucket
oh great i can't wait....
then add some lines
Photobucket
wait for it!

Clock Pictures, Images and Photos

and then the big reveal.
i'm shaking in anticipation

= Photobucket
Kandi
Because I can't come up with my own words for this crappy book, fellow Goodreads person Raleigh has written this review that COMPLETELY expresses all my thoughts and views on this...so I'm ganking it so I can remember exactly what I didn't like about this book.

What a waste of 2-3 hours. Thankfully, it wasn't any longer than that.

There is absolutely nothing interesting about this book. The plot is trite.

Jamie
This was a decent enough book. The book is written primarily from Elena's (a popular high school girl) perspective. She meets the new student, Stefan, and immediately likes him and decides she wants him. The first half of the book is her pursuing him, the second half is her meeting another mysterious guy and trying to find out about Stefan's past. We find out her mysterious stalker is Stefan's brother Damon. Damon and Stefan are both vampires who killed each other in a fight over a girl, who loo...more
Evk
Je to tak blbý, až je to vtipný. Pokud mám srovnávat s jinými v ČR populárními upířími sériemi, tak VA to nesahá ani po kotníky, Twilight beru jako klasiku žánru YA paranormální romance a Škola noci je alespoň lépe řemeslně zvládnutá.
TVD byly pravděpodobně zamýšleny pro mladší čtenáře, řekla bych tak 12-13 let, což jsem přerostla o(ne)slušný počet let, přesto bych knihu nedoporučila ani jim. Existuje spousta mnohem propracovanějších děl. Ale je to samozřejmě jen můj názor a seriál na motiv knihy...more
Maria

Well.. I started reading this book with no expectations. I really tried to separate the TV show from the book because I watch the tv show but that was not an easy thing to do. While I was reading it I was thinking "omg in the show they got that wrong" "so wrong" "elena here is like caroline" and so many things. It was confusing for me to get into the book at first because I was so confused because of the TV show.

Elena was so annoying. When Elena said to Stefan that she loved him it was like she...more
Sasy Gould
Sí, me ha decepcionado. La verdad es que me esperaba que fuera así, ya que he leído muy pocas buenas críticas. Pero es que no hay nada salvable. Elena Gilbert es estúpida, y hay dos opciones: o que esté muy mal escrito o que la traducción sea pésima. Le doy un 2 porque es MUY viejo, mucho más que Crepúsculo, así que al menos es original. Eso sí, el de la Meyer es un plagio absoluto de este...
Alía
There's only one thing I've like about this book: it was brief.
Kereesa
Oh. My. God.
So I picked up this book because A: I'm interested in watching the show and B: It's a very popular book. Nevertheless WORST 2 DAYS OF MY LIFE EVER. I started reading this yesterday and by like 10-20 pages in, I was bored to death. That's a pretty good sign it's not going to get any better but I decided to finish it just so I can rant about it and say I've actually read the whole thing. so...
Characters? So I've heard someone say once that the author always has her character SUPREMELY...more
Who should Elena be with- Stefan or Damon? 86 223 Mar 25, 2014 04:54PM
Live, Laugh &amp;...: The Awakening 2 5 Jan 29, 2014 06:01PM
Who else thinks this book is cliche? 6 50 Jan 15, 2014 06:43AM
vampire diaries 3 26 Nov 03, 2013 12:20AM
Please help......... 2 26 Jul 23, 2013 11:12PM
  • The Red Dice (The Last Vampire, #3)
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • Love You to Death & High Stakes (Mediator, #1-2)
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Blood Ties (Darke Academy, #2)
  • Fade Out (The Morganville Vampires, #7)
  • Love You to Death: The Unofficial Companion to the Vampire Diaries
  • Reckoning (Sweep, #13)
  • A Visitor's Guide to Mystic Falls: Your Favorite Authors on The Vampire Diaries
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th...more
More about L.J. Smith...
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) The Fury and Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)

“Evil will never find peace. It may triumph, but it will never find peace” 460 likes
“It doesn't matter if you can't say it right now. I'll say it for both of us. And someday you'll learn.” 242 likes