Start by marking “Managing with Carrots: Using Recognition to Attract and Retain the Best People” as Want to Read:
Managing with Carrots: Using Recognition to Attract and Retain the Best People
Preview

Managing with Carrots: Using Recognition to Attract and Retain the Best People

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  62 reviews
There’s a crisis in business today,” say corporate recognition consultants Gostick and Elton. “The rhetoric we’ve been using for years—about people being ‘our most valuable asset’—has actually come true. Without much warning, we woke up one day and realized that having the right talent in this competitive marketplace is the key to success . . . Go figure.”

But there is a wa
Published March 28th 2001 by Gibbs Smith (first published March 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Managing with Carrots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing with Carrots

Lucas
See downloadable forms at carrots.com

When recognition is considered effective, managers:
1) Have lower turnover rates
2) Achieve enhanced business results
3) Are seen as much stronger in the Basic Four areas of leadership:
a) goal setting
b) communication
c) trust
d) accountability

Goal setting:
- My manager gives me measurable goals to achieve

Communication:
- I can rely on my manager to answer my questions
- My manager listens to employees in our department
- My manager keeps me informed of the progres
Kevin Hanks
May 01, 2013 Kevin Hanks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kevin by: Brian
I gave this book 5 stars because of the first several chapters. There it describes the underlying principle of the entire book: that setting well thought-out goals and then rewarding behavior that supports those goals leads to achieving those goals. It was brilliantly written, and I think if more people lived those principles, the world (especially the professional world) would be a much better place. The authors started to lose me towards the end of the book, when they went into the application ...more
John Graham
This book provided some great points and thought provoking ideas. While I'd recommend it to anyone looking to up their engagement level through recognition, I can't say I enjoyed every chapter.
With any business related book now, it seems that the first few chapters are spent explaining the data and why you need what the book is talking about. I've never enjoyed those chapters because if I'm reading the book, I obviously already want the information so I don't need to be "sold" on it. So skip the
Eric Nelson
The problem with The Carrot Principle is its assumptions. The authors look at the current vocational landscape, filled with dissatisfaction, lack of motivation, and pining for other jobs and conclude that these are problems management can solve. Sure, management can make them better by with goal setting and better communicationand then the glorious carrot. But the authors are mistaken to pin our workforce problems on a lack of goals, talk, and carrots. What if your companys goals have no intrins ...more
Gene Babon
Nearly four out of five employees who quit their jobs cite a lack of recognition as a key reason for leaving. If you are a business leader, or aspire to become one, this book offers practical guidance on how to effectively lead your workforce.

Here are the two things your workers want most:

~ career/learning development opportunities
~ recognition

Failing to acknowledge and support your workers leads to low morale and turnover. In a competitive business environment this leads to an underperforming b
David
First, let me clarify that most people will probably like this book because it it likely true for most people. Also, the production of this audiobook was great. The authors read it themselves and took turns reading passages. It was very easy to follow and nice to listen to hear their passion for their topic.

So, why a two star rating? I disagreed with their approach on motivating people. They mentioned their research said a majority of people like motivation and the best way to do this is by usi
Merrick
The first addition of Adrian Gostick and Chester Elton’s The Carrot Principle convincingly demonstrated the relationship between rewards/recognition and results. This second addition, through additional data provided by Towers Watson, provides even more proof that feedback and recognition are powerful tools for engaging employees and achieving higher levels of productivity.

From my work as a management consultant, it is clear that managers do not recognize and reward people as much as they should
Jackie Capers-Brown
I read this book for a class project. I was amazed by the level of engagement I experienced from classmates during the presentation of key points made in the book.
Patrick
Great premise, proof and application.

1. Recognition is the 'relationship bridge' between management and talent that seeks to achieve (pg 68)
2. 4-Quads of Engagement/Satisfaction (drives turnover): Hi/Lo 14%; Hi/Hi 40%; Lo/Hi 20%, Lo/Lo 26%.
3. Building Blocks of Recognition: Day-to-day, Above-and-beyond, careeer and celebration recognition. (pg 100)
4. Predictors of Engagement:
a. Recognition > Opp & Wellbeing > Engagement
b. Communication > Trust > Engagement
c. Alignment > Org
Devin Partlow
I never would have thought recognition was so important. If I ever get to a point where i'm managing a lot of ppl I'll be sure to incorporate what I've learned from this book.

Nancy
First of all, I would not recommend the audio book. One of the authors/narrators pronounces "process" and "project" with the long "o" sound, which is really annoying. For example: "PROH-ject", "PROH-cess". There were some other mispronounced words throughout. I tried to finish the CDs, but with about 1 1/2 CDs left to go, they gave the excellent advice of bringing in fortune tellers to somehow boost employee morale/show recognition for hard work. That was when I realized, once and for all, I'd h ...more
Matthews M.
Tentu saja yang aku beli adalah buku versi Indonesia yang diterbitkan oleh Gramedia Pustaka Utama dan seperti biasa entah kenapa kalau buku non-fiksi terbitan mereka, lumrah kalau tak ada versinya di kepustakaan Goodreads. Sepertinya kelompok pembaca non-fiksi di GPU kurang diapresiasi.

Kondisi bukunya juga ya begitulah karena namanya juga diskon 50%.

UPDATE 2011-06-08
Menarik juga meski baru di bagian awal soal manajer yang memberikan penghargaan kepada karyawan yang justru menguntungkan buat peru
Chris
I listened to it. I liked it. It gave me some great ideas on how to reward my employees. I think everyone that is over other employees should read or listen to it.
The Levity Effect by the same author(Gostick)is better, I thought.

However, this one is still great at emphasizing the need for recognition and appreciation in clear and tangible ways. Since we're a non-profit and cannot use our funding for staff incentives, there were a lot of ideas that simply weren't applicable to us ($1,000 per employee per year????? Who has that?). However, the theory seems sound and there's never a bad time to say thank you for a job well-done!
Taracuda
I can see why this book is very much a hit at my work- it takes something nebulous like recognition and boils it down to charts, numbers and formulas. We like charts, numbers and formulas.

I thought some of the motivation advice was a bit dated compared to the advice in Drive by Daniel Pink. Solid, but it felt more like going through motions without necessarily understanding why they worked.
Rick Austin
Helped me see where I may be lacking and what my team needs from me. Not a lot of new techniques but they are nicely packaged. What is most interesting to me are the results of their surveys and the impact valuable recognition techniques have upon a companies ability to execute and excel at what they do.

If you are a manager, especially a new manager, you need to read this book.
Shaun
This was an interesting book regarding recognition in the work place. I was an interesting take on the little expense it is to recognize your employees and how far that recognition goes to help improve a business. An insightful, interesting read. Recognition isn't hard, but it's not a normal human habit either. I recommend anyone read this book who manages employees or is in charge of a team or class.
Rick Mcclatchey
This is something that many managers certainly don't do enough of, seemingly motivated out of a lack of creativity and a bit of laziness. This book is a great tool for helping break out of the lack of creativity, and a good motivator to leave laziness behind. Help your people be more engaged in their daily work, and help them enjoy it all more by simply giving them recognition for a job well done.
Bogdan
This is another classic example of the famous american books on every topic, usually published in the collection "For Dummies". Writing has been commercilized as much as possible by americans in this type of books. The writter has only to find a valid idea, then the trick is to repeat it over and over again. For me this is not close to ideal book.
My copy of this book is in romanian.
Nick
This genial book tells us that we should recognize our employees to bring out the best in them, and increase the productivity of our companies. That's not surprising, but what is important about this book is that it proves what we instinctively know to be true. Lots of research and examples reinforce the basic idea that people should be nice to each other to succeed.
Angel
Another one I picked up at the public library. It was in the New Books area, and the title sounded catchy, so I picked it up. Definitely a book more managers should be reading and acting upon.

Here is the note I made about it on my personal blog:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Brian
I gave this book five stars because it provides the data to back up everything heard on Manager Tools related to one-on-ones, feedback, delegation and coaching. Someday after I have a year of blow out results I plan to pull out this book and use the numbers in here to put together my 'how I killed it' presentation.
Caryn
This was a hard one for me. I believe nearly everything that they said from the first chapter. The hard thing was that they had all of the description for those who didn't yet know/believe what they were saying and it just wore on for me. Almost finished it, but just flat-out got tired of listening to it.
Mark
I found this book very thought provoking and it rang true. I'm trying to follow the main principle of giving specific sincere appreciation to those who I work with. I have received a significant amount of positive response and a return in gratitude. I'm happy I found the book.
Zach
I like a lot of the "principles" in this book, and I believe that many management-types can lose sight of the importance of positive reinforcement and motivation. Definitely applicable to job situation, and there a lot of things I can take from this book in future situtions.
Marie
Jun 25, 2008 Marie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: management-minded individuals
So far, an interesting read. It talks about how employees prefer recognition within their organization, and find it more valuable and more driving than something like money (although money is nice, have you saved any of your deposit slips from it? Didn't think so.)
David Zerangue
A decent summary of various recognition techniques and summary of touch points to make with employees. Not the best flowing book, but it does get its point across. Most everyone can take something away from it.
Leah
This book was recommended to me by the HR rep at my workplace. I like the ideas about ways to motivate and appreciate employees. But I didn't finish the book...I find these types of books tough to read start to finish.
John Brian Anderson
There was some valuable information and ideas for establishing a corporate culture of recognition and promotion but I thought it was a little long and had some unnesassary filler.
Jacque
Reports strategies in the form of reporting results from studying or surveying a number of companies. good book for large scale principles with the examples from the various companies.
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • The Elephant and the Flea: Reflections of a Reluctant Capitalist
  • Who Killed Change?: Solving the Mystery of Leading People Through Change
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • The S.P.I.N. Selling Fieldbook: Practical Tools, Methods, Exercises and Resources
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities
  • The Why of Work: How Great Leaders Build Abundant Organizations That Win
The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization All In: How the Best Managers Create a Culture of Belief and Drive Big Results The Levity Effect: Why It Pays to Lighten Up The Invisible Employee: Realizing the Hidden Potential in Everyone The 24-Carrot Manager

“The fact is that 79 percent of employees who quit their jobs cite a lack of appreciation as a key reason for leaving. Sixty-five percent of North Americans report that they weren’t recognized in the least bit the previous year.” 0 likes
“The simple but transformative act of a leader expressing appreciation to a person in a meaningful and memorable way is the missing accelerator that can do so much and yet is used so sparingly.” 0 likes