Start by marking “Gifted Touch (Fingerprints, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gifted Touch (Fingerprints, #1)

Gifted Touch (Fingerprints #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,460 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Sometimes, when I touch things, words fill my head. Words that feel like thoughts--thoughts that are inside of me...but not mine.

I used to think I was crazy. Used to.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a reason for all the voices that tangle together in my mind. And if I'm right, then it's not my sanity I'm worried about--it's my life.
240 pages
Published by HarperCollins (first published April 1st 2001)

(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
15-year-old Rae thinks she’s going mad when she starts hearing voices, but instead she eventually realises she’s not crazy – she has a gift.
What is Rae’s gift? And why is someone trying to kill her?

This was an interesting paranormal mystery story, but Rae did seem to take a long time to work out what was going on!

Rae was an okay character, but I did think she was a little slow! I guessed pretty early on what was going on, but it took Rae over 80% of the book t
Abbie
Actual rating - 2.5

I was looking forward to this, but it turned out to be pretty dull.

The mystery didn't really start until halfway.
For a short book like this, halfway shouldn't have felt that long... but with Gifted Touch, it did.

Rae was an okay character, but she could be quite dumb sometimes.

I have to say that this book reminded me of my primary school years.
I had a friend called Rae, and we both loved the backstreet boys. I was devastated when my backstreet boys lunchbox was stolen!

Overall
Dawn
This first book in the Fingerprints series was well-written and a good lead-in to further adventures of Rae (who can read people's thoughts when she touches their fingerprints) and friend Anthony (who considers himself dumb for being in a slow-learner's class at school yet is the one who discovers, three-fourths of the way through the book, that Rae isn't crazy after all, she has a gift). There are a lot of unanswered questions in this book: Rae's mom is described as "crazy, who did something ho ...more
Elisa
Gifted Touch is the first book in the Fingerprints series. In Gifted Touch we meet Rae who is able to read peoples thoughts by touching their fingerprints. Rae first thinks she's crazy and doesn't understand what's happening to her but later on she realizes her powers with the help of Anthony, a boy from the group therapy who later becomes her friend. When coming in terms with her power, Rae is also being watched and is wanted dead for unknown reasons because of her dead crazy mother. Anthony an ...more
Emine
Ok, with this one I couldn't decide whether it was worth 3 or 4 stars.

The book starts with the heroine Rae (Rachel) hearing thoughts in her mind that are not hers. She is at school when this first happens and because it freaks her out she has some kind of mental break down, thinking that her friends are speaking those thoughts out loud.
During that break down and on other occasions we see Rae being afraid of ending up like her mother, who was institutionalized some time ago before she died.
The st
Brandi ;)
The only thing i didn't like about the book was that the main character, Rae, went on and on and on about being nuts/insane for 150+ pages. But I liked her as a character and I am def going to read the next book, cause it looks like a good storyline. Especially now that all the beginning 'get to know the characters & their dilemas' has been put on the table.
Ariel
I randomly picked this up when I wasn't finding anything , I didn't think I'd actually like it , but I really did ! I read the first two and just realized there were like 7 in the series so now I want the rest !
Marsha
Jan 15, 2011 Marsha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults
After recently reading Crave by Melinda Metz, I wondered what else she has written. I was shocked to find that she and another author wrote the Roswell T.V. series. So, after reading the description for the fingerprints series, I just had to give them a try. Gifted Touch is a great beginning to the series. Rae Voight's mother died in a mental institution. She is being raised by her father who only relays the fondest of memories regarding her mother. At school one day, Rae began receiving outside ...more
Marie R.
Scroll down for the German Review:

One day Rae starts to hear things. Words and thoughts, but not her thoughts or her words. Whenever she touches something she hears the thought of someone else.
It gets too much and Rae breaks down in the cafeteria of her school. In front of all her friends and classmates.
While Rae's world crumbles down, she fears to end up like her mother. Insane, locked up. But with the help of true friends she discovers, that she is not cursed, but gifted and that she has not
Elizabeth
I know I'm late to the party on this one, Fingerprints came out ten years ago, but I don't care, I'm just pleased to have stumbled on this little gem of a series. From the writer of the Roswell High series comes an intriguing, sharp book about Rae, a prep school beauty who has it all and loses it suddenly when gripped by the same mental illness as that which claimed her mothers' life. Well, at least that's what she thinks. What at first seems a quickly spiraling plunge into mental illness become ...more
EJR
I’ve read this series twice. The first time was in high school and I remembered I had really enjoyed it, but I never completely finished it… For some reason my library doesn’t have the middle books. The second time I read this was after college and I completed the whole series. Overall I like the simplicity of this series, it is by no means complex but they story is concrete and entertaining and the characters are developed excellently.

The first book starts with Rae, who might be going crazy, sh
Theresa
This one is the first of a series about a girl who can hear the thoughts of others by contact with their fingerprints (either directly or indirectly).

This idea intrigued me and the first book was mostly about Rae finding out what her "not me thoughts" are. Teen speak and pop culture references abound (which annoyed me) but their use did drop shortly after the beginning of the book when Rae (not knowing what is happening to her) has a meltdown at school one day leading to her being hospitalized f
Becca
I would probably give this a 2.5 not a 3. It seems like it has potential to be an okay series. Very easy read.
Louise
i read this with sarah and abbie :) and i liked it. i did think she should have worked out what was going on a lot quicker though.
Lizbaena
Really good book but they stopped printing these books a while back so I never got to read #2.
Fairy Tale Junkie
A surprise find, this book was published more than a decade ago and luckily enough, I just happened to stumble into this author recently.

Fast paced story about a girl with special ability, she can read thoughts and feel emotions by touching fingerprints. A great start to a new series, short and pretty amazing, Rae, Anthony and Jesse are sure to keep you entertained.

Starting book number two right away..

FYI, this ended prematurely so be sure to read the next books, otherwise you'll have lots of qu
Kelly
I picked up this series secondhand and had a burst of reading through this series.

A great little paranormal mystery for YA's. Rae's ability to hear things through touch has screwed up her life making her an outcast in school. She finally agrees to attend a support group and things start to look up a little... and then someone tries to kill her.

Really glad I had the others in the series to read after this as this was a quick fix for me.

Jule
Jan 25, 2011 Jule rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jule by: Rini
Shelves: read-in-2011
Sehr nette Story um ein Mädchen - Rae - die, wenn sie die Fingerabdrücke anderer Menschen berührt, deren Gedanken liest. Teilweise etwas vulgäre Sprache, was mich bei der Zielgruppe der Bücher überrascht, aber mich persönlich stört es natürlich nicht.

Sehr originelle Story mit netten Charakteren. Ich freu mich schon auf die weiteren Bände.
Alex
Metz's entire Fingerprints series is wonderful and compelling. The protag. find that she can randomly hear people's thoughts through fingerprints and goes crazy, finding herself in league with a boy of lower social standing. They botth get wrapped in this conspiracy. Oh, and someone's chasing them. Good luck! :)
Jess
Metz has achieved a rarity by authoring an inspired and new take on a science-esque fiction. The ways of the paranormal in Metz' creation is astoundingly original. The back stories for each character is a little sluggish and overly-written at times, however, they fit very well into the culture created.
Tavia
I loved this book from the beginning to the end. Had to stay up late just to finish it. Rae and everyone thinks shes crazy with hearing voices in her head. I love the way she eventually figures out, throughtout the book, exactly what is going on. The end had me looking franticly in my nook for the next nook
B
It might be lame but I really liked the concept of this book: young girl who can hear what the last person who touched something thought. She's trying to be normal in high school; it sort of reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to be quite honest.
Ariana
The concept was great but I didn't really like the book - at least not enough to want to read the rest of the series.
I don't say it's not a good book, it probably is, but I couldn't relate to the characters and I couldn't get into the story as I wished.
Mary
This is a YA series (Fingerprints) that my friend Alice, recommended. It's paranormal, but kind of full of teen angst, so I skipped some. I have to be in the mood to read YA. I have #2 to read on my lunch breaks when a hardcover is too heavy to tote!!!
Heather-Jane
This book was really good when i think back on it, but it was far too short and rushed for me to fully appreciate it!

I am going to read the next one definately but maybe it is a younger series for me? Oh well, stuff that i want to read more!!!!
Kathie M
Another great series for middle school. This one is about a girl who can "hear" other people's thoughts when she touches where their fingerprints are on any surface. A page turner, from first to last book, perfect for middle school girls.
Hmr28
Very interesting series. I read the first one and bought all 6 of the others. Although short there is a lot of character development and action packed into this novel. I enjoyed the unique paranormal aspect and the writing style.
Deborah
I read this about 10 years ago, but I remember not only really liking it but eagerly awaiting the next installments in the series :) So, definitly a good read for kids, I'm not sure however how i would feel about a re-read ...
  • Violet Eyes (Violet Eyes, #1)
  • Twisted (Fearless, #4)
  • Gemini of Emreiana (Gemini, #1)
  • Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)
  • Dancing with an Alien
  • Princess of Light (Heirs of a Broken Land Series, #1)
  • Fire & Ice (Book of Shadows, #1)
  • Wampus Springs - Mark of the Wolf
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • Morning Stars (The Noctivagas Chronicle, #2)
Melinda Metz grew up in San Jose, California. People sometimes ask if she knows the way there. She kinda does, but she has an off-kilter sense of direction, so to be confident of arriving, it's better to consult some kind of navigational device.

Her mother tried to teach her to read in kindergarten, but Melinda had no interest. She also had no interest in learning to write her name. (FYI, when Meli
More about Melinda Metz...

Fingerprints (7 books)
  • Haunted (Fingerprints, #2)
  • Trust Me (Fingerprints, #3)
  • Secrets (Fingerprints, #4)
  • Betrayed (Fingerprints, #5)
  • Revelations (Fingerprints, #6)
  • Payback (Fingerprints, #7)
The Outsider (Roswell High, #1) Haunted (Fingerprints, #2) Trust Me (Fingerprints, #3) The Wild One (Roswell High, #2) Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)