Start by marking “It Is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government Is Wrong: The Case for Personal Freedom” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  22 reviews
DOES THE GOVERNMENT EXIST TO SERVE US OR TO MASTER US?If the government exists to serve us, and if freedom is part of our humanity, how can the government take freedom from us? Is human freedom in America a myth, or is it reality? The United States of America was born out of a bloody revolt against tyranny. Yet almost from its inception, the government here has suppressed ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Be the first to ask a question about It Is Dangerous to Be Right When the Government Is Wrong

Owlseyes
You can easily spot the libertarian spirit in Judge Andrew Napolitano interviews; these few sentences ahead are based on interviews he gave (one to Reason TV).

Napolitano citing the civil liberties conquered through the years (for black Americans and women) thinks, however, that “we’re losing liberty”; he suggests we’re in a ”downward spiral”; crushed, so to speak, by regulation issued from a sort of Leviathan (my expression) State, in its multiple arms: welfare state, surveillance state, warfar
Annie
Nov 30, 2011 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
He's a judge and a legal scholar, so the writing style is a bit dry. The material is well-argued and he brings up so many interesting points -- whether or not you agree with the Libertarian party or not, give it a read. Makes you think!
Aaron
"Do we have a two-party system in America today? I think not. We have one Big Government Party. It has a Republican wing that prefers war, deficits, assaults on civil liberties, and corporate welfare, and a Democratic wing that prefers war, taxes, assaults on commercial liberties, and individual welfare. Neither wing is devoted to the Constitution, and members of both wings openly mock it."

I'd imagine that people's first thought when seeing a book like this is that it's a hyped up pro-Republican
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
I'm on the fence about this book. I really like the Judge's opinions and viewpoints. However, his writing style is almost too dry for me. He provides quite a few facts along with his opinions, but he does not provide the information in an exciting, easy-to-read format. Therefore, while I enjoyed learning the information in the book, I did not enjoy the act of reading the book. I think this book would do best as a college textbook instead of a pleasure book.

However, just because I do not feel tha
John
Judge Napolitano presents an enlightened take on personal liberty and it's erosion under government action. It's written in his direct speaking style, in which he builds his explanations methodically, supporting each point and illustrating with clear examples - the way you would think a legal mind would do - but without being stuffy or overly academic.

Some of the examples of the transgressions of liberty are unsettling, and I was struck by how actually commonplace these transgressions have beco
Naomi
First things first: A WORD OF WARNING. Judge NapOlitano's writings are dry. I will give the other reviewers that. Simply said. I have to have some source of caffeine close by when I read his works or watch his show. However, he is one of the top sources I turn to for the interpretation of the US Constitution.

On that note, the works of this Constitutional scholar are dead on to the abuses of Americans' rights by the governments, at all levels, for their own greed or under the guise of being for
Deborah Sloan
Shocking,Eye-opening,and will certainly make you mad enough to do something. I would hope anyway! Judge Andrew P. Napolitano lays it all out for you in how your freedoms and rights are being taken away right under your nose without so much as a whisper of outcry. When we should be outraged and fighting against such governmental abuses whether from federal,state,or local governments.

Making laws that resoundingly are against the constitution,those in power and office feel they know what is best fo
David
Judge Andrew Napolitano has done a great job with this book. He presents clear and logical explanations of his political philosophy. He traces the origins of this philosophy successfully to the founders, the constitution and natural law. Since he is trained as a lawyer and a judge, he presents his case in a very orderly and logical manner, with each step building upon basic foundational elements.

He presents numerous real-world examples from recent news that demonstrate the loss of our fundament
Jacob
In this book Napolitano argues that our rights are not arbitrarily created by government but instead are innately endowed by the fact that we are human beings. It also tries to portray how the federal government is encroaching on these rights by overstepping the powers delegated to them by the Constitution. He makes the case for a small federal government and a return to the ideals set forth by our founding fathers. Overall it is a well written and argued book, and assigns blame where it is des ...more
Manny
+ 5 more stars:

Another Amazing book from this era's Thomas Jefferson on steroids. His wealth of knowledge on Constitutional matters is virtually unequaled today. In this, his sixth book, The Judge tackles the many fallacies that are propagated to the public by media, schools, and other progressive talking heads. Napolitano is, as always extremely neutral with regards to party. He is an "equal opportunity basher". He pulls no punches.

This book was thoroughly researched and Judge Napolitano break
Uschie Ursula
While I don't agree with everything Judge Napolitano states in his book, albeit I do agree with a lot, he does make a compelling argument with this book about government power, the constitution and freedom. His strongest weapon, the US Constitution and the mighty pen. He yields them and maneuvers while explaining it with the skill of a well trained swordsman.

Napolitano has a way of making "Constitutional Law" a topic that sounds as dreary as a Tax Audit, appear exciting and interesting. I attri
Karen
So, Napolitano is hilarious, in a sarcastic kind of way that I love because my humor is the same way. The book was very informational, I learned a lot as someone not familiar with the theory of libertarianism. But, I'm sorry, society gains freedom through being moral, and morality doesn't appear out of nowhere, it comes from God and Christianity. End of story. Trying to separate the two and saying we should be able to say and do whatever we want to whoever we want as long as it doesn't harm thei ...more
Michael
This is a great defense of libertarian philosophy. I appreciated Napolitano's judicial bent on things, too. It added a great deal to the conversation, in my mind. Still, I'm not completely compelled by his intellectual presuppositions: natural rights are inborn, but to say that government is an institution devised by men and devoid of moral character or mission does not correspond to my Christian worldview.

The writing was dry at times, perhaps because he delved fairly deeply into legal details,
Danmcgohan
The book reads just like stinding down for a conversation with Judge Napolitano. I could hear every inflection of his voice and his laughter at certain points as I read. The book was very enlighting and inspiring, even though the Judge was preaching to the chior. Our freedoms have been eroded away over the last one hundred years and are presently being attached at a blistering rate. We must change this direction!
Diane Kennicker
This book is an excellent read. It is clear how much of our liberties government has taken away over the years. We do not have a two-party political system in this country rather we have Big Government dictating how we should run our lives. Government should protect our freedoms and not take them away.
Todd
While I agreed with most of Andrew Napolitano's views (some are still a bit too libertarian for me) you can tell this book was written by a lawyer. If I was not laid up after surgery I am not sure I would have made it through this book
Laurie
Here is a link to my review: http://cookscrapcraft.blogspot.com/20...

I received this as a free e-book from BookSneeze.com.
Jeff
A profound analysis of freedom from a judge who can beak it down so that a 5 year old could understand. I really enjoyed this book! Hope everyone reads this!
Hyzer Anhyzer
Only three stars because it contains too much info that the Judge has already covered in his earlier books.
Kim
Guaranteed to raise the dander of liberals and conservatives alike. Lots of food for thought.
Mike Smith
Even though dry in places a book worth reading.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Walter Calaza
Walter Calaza marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Harrison
Harrison marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Brenda Keele
Brenda Keele marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
James
James added it
Oct 11, 2014
  • Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues That Affect Our Freedom
  • Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse
  • The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War
  • Rights Gone Wrong: How Law Corrupts the Struggle for Equality
  • Against Intellectual Property
  • Churchill, Hitler and "The Unnecessary War": How Britain Lost Its Empire and the West Lost the World
  • Human Rights: A Very Short Introduction
  • Creating Capabilities: The Human Development Approach
  • Government Bullies: Americans Arrested, Abused, and Terrorized
  • The Conscience of a Conservative
  • Bourbon for Breakfast: Living Outside the Statist Quo
  • Muzzled: The Assault on Honest Debate
  • Strange Fruit: The Biography of a Song
  • No, They Can't: Why Government Fails-But Individuals Succeed
  • A History of Money and Banking in the United States: The Colonial Era to World War II
  • After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
Andrew Paolo Napolitano is a former New Jersey Superior Court Judge. He is a political and senior judicial analyst for Fox News Channel, commenting on legal news and trials. Napolitano started on the channel in 1998. He is a Libertarian and a strong advocate of the Constitution, viewing it as a contract that must, according to rule of law, be interpreted the way its authors intended or else be inv ...more
More about Andrew P. Napolitano...
Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History A Nation of Sheep Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land