Start by marking “Sun Horse, Moon Horse” as Want to Read:
Sun Horse, Moon Horse

Sun Horse, Moon Horse

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sun Horse, Moon Horse is the story of Lubrin Dhu, third son of the Chieftain of the Iceni - the Early Iron Age horse people, who live by their skill in breeding and driving their great horse herds on the high chalk downs.

As a child, Lubrin sees the patterns of a private magic in his mind's eye - in the vision of a galloping white mare leading her herd over the crest of a h
Published (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Sun Horse, Moon Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun Horse, Moon Horse

Gale
PICTURE MAGIC IN CHALK AND BLOOD

How much of himself must an artist put into his work, to validate it and give it his blessing, a life of its own? Warrior-youth Lubrien Dhu is the third son of the Chieftain in prehistoric Britain. Dark of skin and features in this nordic-looking clan, he feels stirrings in his mind to represent the natural world around him in two-dimensional form, but few admire dainty fingers or artistic insight in the Bronze Age.

We watch the dark one grow to young manhood, wh
Hazel West
A beautifully heart-wrenching story, as only Rosemary Sutcliff can write them. It's one of those books that is very hard to put into words, because it almost feels like if you do, you'll lose something in your heart about the story. In any case, I was easily able to sympathize with Lubrin, and how no one saw the world as he did--I know how he felt almost too well. There was just something so painfully beautiful about that and his story, that, while it was definitely sad, it was also something mu ...more
Lesley Arrowsmith
I had mis-remembered this book. I knew I'd read it, and I knew I had thought it was good - but I had forgotten the inevitability of the ending. I started re-reading it, thinking there were bits of Warrior Scarlet there in the friendship between Lubrin and Dara - and about halfway through it grabbed around my heart and never let go, and I cried at the ending, which was exactly the right ending.
It's also good, in a time where films seem to show that violence is the only answer, and heroes have to
Jas
One of my favourite books from my early teenage years - I read this book about 4 times between the ages of 13-14. When I was 21 I visited Uffington for the first time to see the white horse; it was as breathtaking and magical as the book portrays it to be.

The themes of this book are so relevant to any era; self sacrifice, the triumph of art and creativity over evil, community strength in times of trial, leadership and destiny, duty to others and finally, because the white horse lasted thousands
Sigrun
This is one of Rosemary Sutcliff's shortest books, and I found it one of the author's most touching. However, there are definitely readers who will scoff at it. It is a very simple story of a young Iceni who loves making beautiful things. In this case he paints something which has survived for centuries. Of course, nobody actually knows who the artist really is, but Ms. Sutcliff gives us a wonderful picture of what the person may have been like.

I hope you, too, will enjoy it for what it is.
Esther Filbrun
This was a good book. It gave a good glimpse into the lives of people at that time period. I didn't appreciate some of the things that happened, but on the whole it's a pretty good book.
Mumbler
Too much suffering without enough contrast. I can't get into such a downer, as much as Rosemary obviously could. Some interesting stuff about being an artist. But the whole book is a bit Rosemary-by-numbers.

I loved the opening, describing their home and fortress, the dun.
Abigail Hartman
This bittersweet novel was the first of Sutcliff's that I read and really appreciated, so it holds a special place in my heart. It is incredibly sad, as most of her books are, but spectacularly written all the same.
Melissa
Feb 07, 2008 Melissa marked it as to-read
Rosemary Sutcliff wrote The Mark of the Horse Lord, and while I am ever searching for an old copy to own, I found another novel of hers at the Central Library Book Cellar for fifty cents. I am super excited.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Excellent historical novel about the people who created that giant horse drawn on a hillside in England.
Annamarie
Annamarie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Mollie Tschida
Mollie Tschida marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Kathryn Brown
Kathryn Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Feb 11, 2015
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jessica Willard
Jessica Willard marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Dec 20, 2014
Mike Farrell
Mike Farrell marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Girl in a Cage (Stuart Quartet, #2)
  • Dværgen fra Normandiet (Dværgen fra Normandiet #1)
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)
  • Hittite Warrior
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • Red Cap
  • Dawn of Fear
  • Crossing to Paradise
  • Warrior Daughter
  • The Ring of the Slave Prince
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • An Innocent Soldier
Rosemary Sutcliff was a British novelist, best known as a writer of highly acclaimed historical fiction. Although primarily a children's author, the quality and depth of her writing also appeals to adults, she herself once commenting that she wrote "for children of all ages from nine to ninety."

Born in West Clandon, Surrey, Sutcliff spent her early youth in Malta and other naval bases where her fa
More about Rosemary Sutcliff...
The Eagle of the Ninth The Lantern Bearers Black Ships Before Troy The Silver Branch Sword at Sunset