Start by marking “Sun Horse, Moon Horse” as Want to Read:
Sun Horse, Moon Horse

Sun Horse, Moon Horse

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Sun Horse, Moon Horse is the story of Lubrin Dhu, third son of the Chieftain of the Iceni - the Early Iron Age horse people, who live by their skill in breeding and driving their great horse herds on the high chalk downs.

As a child, Lubrin sees the patterns of a private magic in his mind's eye - in the vision of a galloping white mare leading her herd over the crest of a h
Published (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Sun Horse, Moon Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun Horse, Moon Horse

Gale
Apr 02, 2013 Gale rated it really liked it
PICTURE MAGIC IN CHALK AND BLOOD

How much of himself must an artist put into his work, to validate it and give it his blessing, a life of its own? Warrior-youth Lubrien Dhu is the third son of the Chieftain in prehistoric Britain. Dark of skin and features in this nordic-looking clan, he feels stirrings in his mind to represent the natural world around him in two-dimensional form, but few admire dainty fingers or artistic insight in the Bronze Age.

We watch the dark one grow to young manhood, wh
Hazel West
A beautifully heart-wrenching story, as only Rosemary Sutcliff can write them. It's one of those books that is very hard to put into words, because it almost feels like if you do, you'll lose something in your heart about the story. In any case, I was easily able to sympathize with Lubrin, and how no one saw the world as he did--I know how he felt almost too well. There was just something so painfully beautiful about that and his story, that, while it was definitely sad, it was also something mu ...more
Simina
Dec 28, 2015 Simina rated it it was amazing
This is, I think, one of Sutcliff's lesser-known books, but, if I think about it objectively, I would say that it is also among her best. In this rather short story, she offers a possible background to the making of the White Horse of Uffington. The book is typical Sutcliff, dark and harsh at times, with a few glimmers of hope here and there. It's filled with the theme of sacrifice - the idea of the sacrifice a ruler has to make for his people, that is present in one form or another in most of S ...more
Meredith
Nov 23, 2015 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Rosemary Sutcliff presents a creation myth for the White Horse of Uffington, which was carved into the hillside chalk during the late Bronze or early Iron Age. Sutcliff's real gift is her ability to distill people belonging to remote and alien cultures down to their essential humanness, making them -- their lives, their emotions, and their dreams -- as accessible as those of any contemporary person. Like Shakespeare, Sutcliff also has the ability to lay bare someone's entire character with a sin ...more
Lesley Arrowsmith
Oct 05, 2013 Lesley Arrowsmith rated it really liked it
I had mis-remembered this book. I knew I'd read it, and I knew I had thought it was good - but I had forgotten the inevitability of the ending. I started re-reading it, thinking there were bits of Warrior Scarlet there in the friendship between Lubrin and Dara - and about halfway through it grabbed around my heart and never let go, and I cried at the ending, which was exactly the right ending.
It's also good, in a time where films seem to show that violence is the only answer, and heroes have to
Jas
Jul 06, 2013 Jas rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books from my early teenage years - I read this book about 4 times between the ages of 13-14. When I was 21 I visited Uffington for the first time to see the white horse; it was as breathtaking and magical as the book portrays it to be.

The themes of this book are so relevant to any era; self sacrifice, the triumph of art and creativity over evil, community strength in times of trial, leadership and destiny, duty to others and finally, because the white horse lasted thousands
Sigrun
This is one of Rosemary Sutcliff's shortest books, and I found it one of the author's most touching. However, there are definitely readers who will scoff at it. It is a very simple story of a young Iceni who loves making beautiful things. In this case he paints something which has survived for centuries. Of course, nobody actually knows who the artist really is, but Ms. Sutcliff gives us a wonderful picture of what the person may have been like.

I hope you, too, will enjoy it for what it is.
Esther Filbrun
Jan 17, 2014 Esther Filbrun rated it liked it
This was a good book. It gave a good glimpse into the lives of people at that time period. I didn't appreciate some of the things that happened, but on the whole it's a pretty good book.
Megan
Probably a fine introduction for kids (not too young, though), but not for me.
Mumbler
Too much suffering without enough contrast. I can't get into such a downer, as much as Rosemary obviously could. Some interesting stuff about being an artist. But the whole book is a bit Rosemary-by-numbers.

I loved the opening, describing their home and fortress, the dun.
Abigail Hartman
Oct 12, 2011 Abigail Hartman rated it really liked it
This bittersweet novel was the first of Sutcliff's that I read and really appreciated, so it holds a special place in my heart. It is incredibly sad, as most of her books are, but spectacularly written all the same.
Melissa
Feb 07, 2008 Melissa marked it as to-read
Rosemary Sutcliff wrote The Mark of the Horse Lord, and while I am ever searching for an old copy to own, I found another novel of hers at the Central Library Book Cellar for fifty cents. I am super excited.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Excellent historical novel about the people who created that giant horse drawn on a hillside in England.
Evan Clark
Evan Clark marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Ann Smith
Ann Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Helena Van
Helena Van rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 20, 2015
Coll
Coll rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Grace Crandall
Grace Crandall marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Kim
Kim added it
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Girl in a Cage (Stuart Quartet, #2)
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • Crusade
  • Dværgen fra Normandiet (Dværgen fra Normandiet #1)
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip
  • The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack, Ireland, 1845-1847
  • Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • The Wool-Pack
  • At the Sign of the Sugared Plum (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #1)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Morning Gift
  • Crossing to Paradise
  • Highway Girl: An English Girl's Diary, 1670
  • The Maude Reed Tale
  • The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)
Rosemary Sutcliff was a British novelist, best known as a writer of highly acclaimed historical fiction. Although primarily a children's author, the quality and depth of her writing also appeals to adults, she herself once commenting that she wrote "for children of all ages from nine to ninety."

Born in West Clandon, Surrey, Sutcliff spent her early youth in Malta and other naval bases where her fa
More about Rosemary Sutcliff...