Start by marking “Hoshin Engi Volume 1: Beginnings” as Want to Read:
Hoshin Engi Volume 1: Beginnings

Hoshin Engi Volume 1: Beginnings (Hoshin Engi #1)

When his clan is wiped out by a beautiful demon, young Taikobo finds himself in charge of the mysterious Hoshin Project. Its mission: find all immortals living in the human world and seal them away forever. But who do you trust--and whose side are you really on--when you've been trained to hunt demons by a demon.
Published June 5th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hoshin Engi Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hoshin Engi Volume 1

Nanna
Awalnya ga niat ngoleksi komik ini.. tapi karena ada yang jual murah, 6K dengan kondisi kolpri, siapa yang tahan? Haha XD

Oke, masuk ke cerita. World buildingnya digambarkan dengan baik, dan cukup ribet. Saya sempet puyeng dan sempat beberapa kali maju mundur untuk melanjutkan membaca. Istilah-istilahnya banyak banget, untungnya ada catatan kaki yang sangat membantu.

Untuk gambarnya, kalo pada masanya (terbit pertama kali tahun 96) termasuk bagus dan cukup proporsional. Cuma karena saya terbiasa m
Mayday (m.i.d.e)
Mar 20, 2012 Mayday (m.i.d.e) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique artwork, interesting story line, total crack, and good characterization. The setting was in old Chinese period, the three kingdom period if my memory serves me right. This manga was the one that made me aware that there were three kingdoms stories. It was mixed with the evil fox story. Oh, even this was supposed to be old period story, there were robotic weapons here and there. Don't forget, this is shonen manga, expect fantasy and fuck logic.

Oh, and the main source of crack here was the
Patty
Feb 28, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
I'm in the process of re-reading up to volume 9, since I have volumes 10-13 on order. If you've never read the original tale "The Creation of the Gods", one of China's most famous adventure novels, this would be a good simplified place to start. It has all the story of the Chinese novel, but told with a science-fantasy makeover!
Jenniffer
Jun 26, 2011 Jenniffer rated it liked it
Saw the Anime first and liked the series. The Manga isn't *bad* but there starts to be too many characters to keep track of. I liked the Anime more as it was "refined" down.
Helmut
Feb 28, 2013 Helmut rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Fengshen Yanyi als Manga

Das Fengshen Yanyi ist ein chinesischer Roman aus dem 16. Jahrhundert, in dem es um den Untergang der Shang-Dynastie geht. Verführt durch den Fuchsgeist Daji wandelt sich König Zhou zu einem mordenden Tyrannen, der nur durch eine Koalition von Taoistenzauberern, Helden, Halbgöttern und anderen Wesen unter der Führung König Wus besiegt werden kann.

Im Manga wurde die Geschichte auf Basis der japanischen Form dieses alten Romans nacherzählt; so wird aus König Zhou der König
James Dunphy
Feb 10, 2015 James Dunphy rated it it was ok
This is a manga I have always seen on store shelves but passed to read other more popular shonen titles growing up (Bleach, Naruto, etc...). The story is based on the ancient Chinese epic Fengshen Yanyi, which falls in the same sphere of ancient Chinese epics as the popular Journey to the West (see Dragon Ball and Saiyuki). The world mixes a sort of science-fiction Chinese tinted steampunk in a fantasy world of youkai demons and Dao gods. I really enjoyed the character design. It's typical ...more
Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads)
Ignoring the art (I'm not much of a fan of it), I'm going to get right to the point of why I rated this book so low. I usually don't DNF books, but I just couldn't continue reading this. I was so bored, it took me a while to just read 50 pages, which usually takes me only a few minutes to read with mangas. I've only read 65 pages and I'm like, that's it. Maybe this picks up in the next few volumes or later on in this volume, but I don't want to waste my time reading a novel or a manga that I'm ...more
Trevor
Aug 01, 2007 Trevor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: most manga fans!
Shelves: manga-mangia
Here's a nice surprise: a manga adaptation of a classic Chinese fantasy epic. There's a lot to enjoy here for casual and hardcore manga fans. Kids looking to graduate beyond Dragon Ball Z will love this!
dexqa
Sep 04, 2007 dexqa rated it it was ok
Shelves: shounenmanga
Ancient Chinese story translated loosely into robotic deities
and high-tech war between good and evil.
Courtney
Jul 07, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it
Kind of a slow start. Lots of terminology to learn. Interested to see if series picks up since premise sounds good.
Bas
Bas rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2008
Chulena
Chulena rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
jeromesson
jeromesson rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2015
Afia
Afia rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2016
Mustafa
Mustafa rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Aug 21, 2016
Kai
Kai rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2011
Karolina
Karolina rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Diana Dang
Diana Dang rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2009
Shiki
Shiki rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
William K
William K rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Liza
Liza rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Aria Eve
Aria Eve rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2016
Ging
Jul 26, 2009 Ging rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read: Volumes 1-23 of 23
Fei
Fei rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • ヒカルの碁 16、中国棋院
  • Cowa!
  • X/1999, Volume 05: Serenade
  • Ragnarok, Volume 2
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 3
  • Last Quarter (Last Quarter, #1)
  • Curse of the Worgen (World of Warcraft)
  • Video Girl Ai, Vol.  01: Preproduction
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 2: Letter Bee/The Letter to Jiggy Pepper

Hoshin Engi (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Hoshin Engi, Vol. 2