Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students (EBOOK)

Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students (EBOOK)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Designed to provide support for the difficult job of parenting and teaching gifted children, Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope With Explosive Feelings provides the resource parents and teachers need to not only understand why gifted children are so extreme in their behavior, but also learn specific strategies to teach gifted children how to live wit...more
ebook, Ebook, 212 pages
Published October 1st 2010 by Prufrock Press

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students

Medeia Sharif
This book answered many of my questions pertaining to giftedness in children. Why do gifted children recollect feelings so strongly? Why do they lash out? What to do about mood swings? How about stress management and the strive for perfection?

The author wrote about deep psychological issues in a a simple format. She breaks things down, uses case studies, presents scenarios, and provides invaluable information to both parents and teachers. Checklists, tip sheets, and worksheets reiterate importan...more
Ljconrad
My review of: Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students! Although I was privileged to receive an advanced copy, I have received no other incentives to review it. I simply believe that this book will make your life as the parent of a gifted child a whole lot easier.

From author Christine Fonseca, it is the kind of book that you read … fall in love with … hope there is a sequel (there is) … want to give as a gift to every teacher, school psychologist, and guidance counselor who has ever come in contac...more
Julie Butcher
Your child is the smart one, the one who gets bored in school or refuses to do homework, the one who is bullied or has difficulty making friends. Your child has a heart the size of Mount Rushmore, and can inexplicably grasp concepts and emotions that should be impossible for him or her to understand.
Your child is in this book.
Christine Fonesca, in her book, Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope With Explosive Feelings, deals with problems that we as parents and teachers of gi...more
Michelle McLean
Christine Fonseca’s Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students is a wonderful tool for anyone trying to understand these incredible kids. Ms. Fonseca debunks a lot of the myths associated with gifted children, including assumptions that children with disabilities can’t be gifted, that gifted kids never fail, and most importantly in my opinion, the belief that gifted kids don’t need help to get through school.

Ms. Fonseca’s book goes through what it means to be gifted and why that goes hand in hand w...more
Sherrie Petersen
While many of the parenting strategies found in EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS would be useful in any home, what really impressed me were the tips for helping children (as well as parents and teachers) recognize emotional triggers. Once kids and parents learn to see the signs building, they can work together to prevent outbursts and find ways to relax before negative emotions overtake the entire family. Useful tip sheets, checklists and worksheets throughout the book offer practical guid...more
Vanessa
This book is a fabulous resource for anyone with 'intense' children, but particularly with gifted children as well. I normally shy away from books such as these, but even into chapter one I knew it would be helpful. I read is at the beginning of this past school year and waited to reserve judgement until I had tried to use some of the advice given in the book.

Nothing substitutes loving, listening and being engaged and concerned for your own children, but this book helped me understand a better...more
Steph Campbell
I am in love with this book. It is such an amazing feeling to find a resource like this and feel like someone "gets it". We struggle with these issues with Liam so much. It's gotten to the point where I've found myself wishing that he wasn't so smart sometimes because of the emotional struggles that he has. He doesn't want to try anything new if there isn't a guarantee that he can do it perfectly the first time and misses out on so much. I text Chris earlier to tell him I started reading this an...more
Joy
My sister recommended this book to me since we both have very emotionally charged, gifted kids. This book was a pleasure to read. It's not dry or clinical at all, and Christine Fonseca is able to cover the subject of giftedness as both a parent and school psychologist.

Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students not only helped me to understand a lot of my son's behavior and issues, but I was able to learn a lot about my own issues and responses to him. There are tip sheets and worksheets throughout...more
Melody Riggs
My daughter's teacher recommended this book to us because over the last two or three months she has had moments where she has exploded at school, either with the teacher or with another student.

I was skeptical at first. As an educator myself, I've never been a fan of the "gifted" label. There were some times initially too where the writing style of the book frustrated me (particularly with the author would bring up a new lint and then say it would be discussed later). Also, there were times whe...more
Danyelle Leafty
Generally I don't read as much nonfiction, partly because my brain cells are all asleep by the time I can settle down with a book, and partly because a lot of nonfiction is...dry. But one of the first things I noticed about EMOTIONAL INTENSITY is that it felt like Christine and I were sitting down and chatting. I love that the tone of the text is very conversational. It flows with a very natural rhythm that is easy to follow.

I was also very impressed at the range of the audience for EMOTIONAL IN...more
Shelley
If you decide to get one book on gifted kids, I'd recommend Delisle's PARENTING GIFTED KIDS. I reread it from time to time, and have never wanted to throw it across the room.

Ms. Fonseca's book is the first about gifted kids I've read which was written at a junior high level. I'm not sure it's necessarily bad, but it's annoying after 50 pages; by the time I finished the book, I'd lost 10 IQ points. (Generally the assumption is gifted kids are born to parents who can read a compound sentence.)

Bef...more
Taffy
This book is great for any parent but especially for those who parent and teach gifted children. It wouldn't hurt all teachers and principals to read this book!

What I loved: Christine starts at the beginning by educating the reader what a gifted child is and why they are more emotional. She goes over the mislabels, myths, diagnosis, etc. that often accompany a gift child's emotions.
Every chapter is short and doesn't read like a college text book. Christine uses understandable terms. At the end o...more
ladydusk
Library.

There were a couple of sections of this book that I found interesting and/or useful. The conversational tone annoyed me, a more professional or informational tone would have been better. The redundancy got a bit old. The model conversations could be helpful if a parent can out-talk their gifted student.

I didn't think the book did a good job of defining "giftedness" to begin with. It was helpful to see some of the behaviors described and to consider some of the reasons for those behavior...more
Cball
A great resource for ideas/solutions when dealing with highly emotional children. I had stepped away from parenting books relating to the gifted child since I felt like they all seemed to be focused on the 'gifted' part of the child and not what is so challenging to the parent--in my case the emotions. This book was very helpful in explaining and offering step by step solutions parents can take in order to assist their child. It also reframed the social/emotional issues in a way which made them...more
Marissa Morrison
This is probably the best book I've read about helping kids deal with big emotions. Fonseca references Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities and explains that a high level of emotional intensity is totally normal in the gifted population. In addition to urging parents and teachers to recalibrate their expectations, Fonseca recommends specific ways to help kids deal with emotional intensity, anxiety, perfectionism, friendships and bullying.

I wish that the book contained less general discussion and more...more
Megan
Not quite finished with this one, but essentially the author is encouraging parents to use a positive behavior support system in the home - I don't think she called it that, but I definitely felt the suggestions were incredibly similar to what teachers are asked to do in classrooms. Then kids know in advance what expected behaviors are and can relate them to a predetermined acronym. I should probably go back and reread the sections on handling the meltdowns...
Shanna Trim
I recommend this book for anyone with an intense child. I devoured this book in just a couple of evenings after a rough few weeks with my 7yo son. It's a wonderful feeling to feel like this is a "normal" thing that some parents experience and you truly are not doing something terribly wrong. This book is filled with indispensable advice and, beyond that, scenarios that make you realize this may be a different kind of normal.
Jen
You can read my complete review at http://www.laughingatchaos.com. This book is for any parent who has an emotionally intense child. You know, the one you look at pretty much every day and wonder WHAT.THE.HELL? The one who can change mood on a knife's edge, who is just "more," who just doesn't seem to roll with the punches as well as others. Get your hands on this book; it's the one I wish we'd had five years ago.
Alison
This is quite a good book -- easy to read and useful information for those of us who have very intense (!) kids. It didn't address the one particular issue I was hoping for, but there are lots of generic strategies discussed. The list of websites and books at the back of this book are very useful for further information.
Elizabeth Nugent
This book is really interesting, and I think that some of the techniques will be useful for my daughter. However, some of them seem like an awful lot of work! I sometimes feel like I'm expected to be out in advance of every experience she has, and I just can't do that. Easier for stay-at-home parents, I expect.
Kim Baccellia
I loved this book! I went over some of the definitions and totally saw my son here. He's the dual gifted child with a learning disability. The examples and worksheets are easy to read and follow. For sure I'd recommend this book. Now I'm going over to buy the supplement book.
Rebekah Sheppard
This book is a must for helping your child (and yourself) in coping with your child's strong emotional outbursts, and gives specific dialogue examples in helping your child work through perfectionism, risk aversion, and underachievement.
Heather
This was a very good description of the issue gifted kids face, with some great strategies to help them deal. Also a very short read, which as a busy parent I appreciate.
Stacey
Extremely helpful and clarifying. I wish I'd had this book 4 years ago, but it's information will be great for communicating with my daughter.
Nisa
This is such a wonderful book. Even if your child isn't gifted, I would highly recommend Christine's strategies for teaching coping skills.
Mona
So grateful for this book! Been struggling with emotional intensity in my child, and this book really set out the reasons why and how I can help.
Kirsti Call
This book is packed with concrete ways to deal with intense children.
Adina
Ahhhh thank goodness for this manual for my daughter.
Heather McCorkle
This is an amazing book that every parent should read.
Jehnie
The closest I've had in 5 years to a blueprint for Andrew.
Q&A with Chri...: Parenting books 13 6 Sep 19, 2012 09:21PM
  • Living With Intensity
  • Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders
  • The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them
  • Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Home Education
  • Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane)
  • Kids Are Worth It!: giving your child the gift of inner discipline
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
Critically acclaimed nonfiction and YA author Christine Fonseca is dedicated to helping children of all ages find their voice in the world. Drawing on her expertise as an educational psychologist, her nonfiction titles address issues of emotional intensity, resiliency and giftedness. In fiction, she explores the darker aspects of humanity and delivers gothic thrillers that take you on a rollercoas...more
More about Christine Fonseca...
Lacrimosa (Requiem, #1) Transcend Dies Irae (Requiem, #0.5) Mea Culpa (Requiem, #1.5) Libera Me (Requiem, #2)