Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary--one smart word at a time--with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Angela
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians ...more
Loren
"Cacophony.... Defenestrate... Harangue... Pedantic. These are words I use regularly.... ha! Erudite? Histrionics? Galvanize?"

"Yeah, that's why people find you pedantic, you erudite!"

"Oh please! We all have our chosen vernacular!"

"Yeah, douche vernacular!"

Yes, I admit it. I actually picked up this book. Just as I picked up every Cliff Notes I could get my hands on so I could read Shakespeare in middle school without suffering an anuerism. Those were the days!

I believe there's no harm in our you
Lillian Hong
To be honest, I dislike Grammar Girl with a passion. She makes grammar mistakes of her own in the book, and in no way deserves to be called "Grammar Girl."
Ami Iida
May 28, 2015 Ami Iida rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: learning English
Shelves: language
learning 101 words from the etymology
I reference English conversation and Grammar by the e-book and the podcast.
Ryan
Got this with another of her books, and figured it'd be a quick little read. It was witty and fun, but I found the word selection a little pedestrian.
cathbodua59
Won this Book in a Raffle Draw at a Nanowrimo Event. Is a very good Book. Teaches us New Words and Proper Grammar in how each word should be used. Knew most of The Words in this Book; but, learning proper usage is a Gold Mine!
Brandielle
Jan 29, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through
There is a way to make a dictionary interesting but this isn't it. Also, no pronunciation guide so you can learn the words to feel smart but then sound like an idiot saying them.
Keanna Lewis
I think that this book will be really good to read, because it seems like it gives a cool and easy, plus fun way to learn to expamd our vocabulary.
Madison
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Jaclyn
Dec 07, 2011 Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Soooooo up my alley. I need to get my fingers and eyes all over this!
Jill M.
Jill M. marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
PrincessofthePage
PrincessofthePage marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Randelle
Randelle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Shan White
Shan White marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Marie Sindao
Marie Sindao marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Chandni Sarraf
Chandni Sarraf marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Seye
Seye marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Amanda Gee
Amanda Gee marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Trista
Trista marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Zainab Ayman
Zainab Ayman marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Zia Ansari
Zia Ansari marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Theacrob
Theacrob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Nathaniel Patterson
Nathaniel Patterson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • The Big Book of Small Stuff: 100 of the Best Inspirations from Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • Choose the Life You Want: The Way to Lasting Happiness Moment by Moment
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • Guys Like Girls Who . . .
  • Unfair Advantage: The Power of Financial Education
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students Grammar Girl's 911 Punctuation: Your Guide to Writing it Right