Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one smart word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write s
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Loren
"Cacophony.... Defenestrate... Harangue... Pedantic. These are words I use regularly.... ha! Erudite? Histrionics? Galvanize?"

"Yeah, that's why people find you pedantic, you erudite!"

"Oh please! We all have our chosen vernacular!"

"Yeah, douche vernacular!"

Yes, I admit it. I actually picked up this book. Just as I picked up every Cliff Notes I could get my hands on so I could read Shakespeare in middle school without suffering an anuerism. Those were the days!

I believe there's no harm in our you
Lillian Hong
To be honest, I dislike Grammar Girl with a passion. She makes grammar mistakes of her own in the book, and in no way deserves to be called "Grammar Girl."
Angela
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians ...more
cathbodua59
Won this Book in a Raffle Draw at a Nanowrimo Event. Is a very good Book. Teaches us New Words and Proper Grammar in how each word should be used. Knew most of The Words in this Book; but, learning proper usage is a Gold Mine!
Brandielle
Jan 29, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through
There is a way to make a dictionary interesting but this isn't it. Also, no pronunciation guide so you can learn the words to feel smart but then sound like an idiot saying them.
Keanna Lewis
I think that this book will be really good to read, because it seems like it gives a cool and easy, plus fun way to learn to expamd our vocabulary.
Madison
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Jaclyn
Dec 07, 2011 Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Soooooo up my alley. I need to get my fingers and eyes all over this!
Rachel
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Roland
Roland is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
timothy mclendon
timothy mclendon marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Fernando Cejas
Fernando Cejas marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Elizabeth Hermesch
Elizabeth Hermesch marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Paola Catano
Paola Catano marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Maria E
Maria E marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Clarice Jhoucee
Clarice Jhoucee marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Pao
Pao marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Mary Sweeley
Mary Sweeley marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • The Big Book of Small Stuff: 100 of the Best Inspirations from Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • Guys Like Girls Who . . .
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again Grammar Girl Presents the Ultimate Writing Guide for Students Grammar Girl's 911 Punctuation: Your Guide to Writing it Right