Start by marking “Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart” as Want to Read:
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Millions of people around the world communicate better thanks to Mignon Fogarty, aka Grammar Girl, whose top-rated weekly grammar podcast has been downloaded more than 40 million times. Now she's turning her attention to improving our vocabulary—one smart word at a time—with Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart.

Are you often stumped for the perfect way to say or write s
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart

Angela
Nov 13, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Grammar Girl's 101 Words to Sound Smart is filled with interesting words. Each one is clearly defined but not with the clinical precision of a dictionary. Instead, Mignon Fogarty provides interesting background on the origins of most of the words and gives concrete examples of how the usage may have changed over time. Each word is also accompanied by a quotation or two showing it being used correctly. These quotations were very fun to read and their sources ranged from journalists to politicians ...more
Loren
Jan 08, 2012 Loren rated it did not like it
Shelves: language-study
"Cacophony.... Defenestrate... Harangue... Pedantic. These are words I use regularly.... ha! Erudite? Histrionics? Galvanize?"

"Yeah, that's why people find you pedantic, you erudite!"

"Oh please! We all have our chosen vernacular!"

"Yeah, douche vernacular!"

Yes, I admit it. I actually picked up this book. Just as I picked up every Cliff Notes I could get my hands on so I could read Shakespeare in middle school without suffering an anuerism. Those were the days!

I believe there's no harm in our you
Lillian Hong
Nov 27, 2011 Lillian Hong rated it did not like it
To be honest, I dislike Grammar Girl with a passion. She makes grammar mistakes of her own in the book, and in no way deserves to be called "Grammar Girl."
Ami Iida
May 28, 2015 Ami Iida rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: learning English
Shelves: language
learning 101 words from the etymology
I reference English conversation and Grammar by the e-book and the podcast.
Ryan
Feb 24, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok
Got this with another of her books, and figured it'd be a quick little read. It was witty and fun, but I found the word selection a little pedestrian.
CKE387
Odd thing - for a book that is supposed to make you sound smart, it didn't include a pronunciation guide/key!
Jennifer Worrell
Feb 18, 2016 Jennifer Worrell rated it liked it
Okay, so some of these are not particularly odd words; some I hear pretty frequently. But it was fun to see which words I could use in my current project, then write a new sentence with each of them.
Candy
Aug 26, 2015 Candy rated it really liked it
Some of the words are rarely used, but the book provides clear explanations that are easily understood. However, I think I will forget, or already have forgotten, most of them without periodic reviews.
Brandielle
Jan 29, 2012 Brandielle marked it as couldn-t-get-through
There is a way to make a dictionary interesting but this isn't it. Also, no pronunciation guide so you can learn the words to feel smart but then sound like an idiot saying them.
Keanna Lewis
Dec 06, 2011 Keanna Lewis rated it liked it
I think that this book will be really good to read, because it seems like it gives a cool and easy, plus fun way to learn to expamd our vocabulary.
Madison
Dec 02, 2011 Madison rated it really liked it
I only wish there was more than 101 words! these books are so helpful, creative, and quirky!
Jaclyn
Dec 07, 2011 Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Soooooo up my alley. I need to get my fingers and eyes all over this!
Rachel
Jun 24, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Princess
Princess is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
Susan Richardson
Susan Richardson rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Doc
Doc marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
N J
N J rated it it was ok
May 14, 2016
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Chaimaab
Chaimaab marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Hart Gombe
Hart Gombe marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Boyvee
Boyvee marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
42piratas
42piratas rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Renee Winters
Renee Winters marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Teresa Kaestner
Teresa Kaestner rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Rutvi Patel
Rutvi Patel marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done (HBR Guide Series)
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • Being a Happy Teenager
  • Write-A-Thon: Write Your Book in 26 Days (and Live to Tell about It)
  • Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.
  • Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Christopher Columbus  ( Seri Tokoh Dunia 3 )
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Guys Like Girls Who . . .
  • The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier: How to Solve the Mysteries of Weak Writing
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • How to study
  • Socrates: A Man for Our Times
620146
Better known as Grammar Girl.
More about Mignon Fogarty...