Start by marking “Minority Report” as Want to Read:
Minority Report

Minority Report

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  13,043 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews
Viewed by many as the greatest science fiction writer on any planet, Philip K. Dick has written some of the most intriguing, original and thought-provoking fiction of our time. This collection includes stories that will make you lough, cringe...and stop and think.

The Minority Report: a special unit that employs those with the power of precognition to prevent crimes proves
Audiobook, Unabridged
Published December 26th 2003 by HarperAudio (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Minority Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minority Report

Jeffrey Keeten
”’You have to be taken in--if Precrime is to survive. You’re thinking of your own safety. But think, for a moment, about the system.’ Leaning over, Lisa stubbed out her cigarette and fumbled in her purse for another. ‘Which means more to you---your own personal safety or the existence of the system?’

‘My safety,’ Anderton answered, without hesitation.

‘You’re positive?’

‘If the system can survive only by imprisoning innocent people, then it deserves to be destroyed. My personal safety is important
Jason Koivu
Oct 30, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
I'm not an old, crusty sci-fi fan who read this when it came out in '56. No, I'm a neophyte who only knows about The Minority Report because of the 2002 movie version. It's hard not to associate this solid, yet too short short story with that blockbuster flick starring Tom Cruise...

description

...and I'm not even going to try. Why? Because I loved the movie, even though I hate Tom Cruise. Maybe "hate" is too harsh. Let's just say I've never liked him and have only tolerated watching his movies, all the whil
Will M.
11/1/15

I might have to reread this very soon, because I just watched the movie, and it was fantastic.

-----------

I'm not sure if I read the same novel as the ones who rated this 4-5 stars. I honestly don't get how to like this novel, aside from the premise.

The blurb/synopsis is very ambiguous, yet that's not my problem with this one. Ambiguity doesn't necessarily mean that the novel's going to turn out awful, but rather ambiguity, in most cases, leads to the enjoyment of the reader. In this case,
Sidharth Vardhan
What I should like to know is why Anderton would have committed murder in the timeline which the first minority report forecasted. All the reasons that Anderton could have committed murders had resulted from prediction itself and there was no way that a prediction could be made without Anderton seeing the card.

I think the story really works because no one, who already hasn't committed or is planning to commit a murder, believes him/herself capable of one. Anderton, like most such people, just ca
Becky
This is only my second PKD story (the first being The Man in the High Castle, which I liked, despite still being pretty sure that I don't know what any of it actually meant), and I think, maybe, that I liked this one, too... But I'm not sure yet, because, well, I had some pretty big issues with it. We shall see how I feel after I blark out all of my thoughts in this review.

The premise here is that at some point in the future, society is virtually crime-free thanks to precognitive predictions le
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Wow, this was surprisingly bad. The movie was pretty terrible, so I assumed that the short story had to at least be somewhat better... I was horribly wrong.

First of all, this was so fucking boring that I stopped reading TWO PAGES FROM THE END. It was so terribly dull that by the time I got to page 18, the number of fucks I gave had actually dipped into the negative range and I just could not continue.

I'd like to keep this short, so I'll list the things that sucked about this story:

- 20 pages see
M.
Between 3 and 4 stars

In the future, there exists a world in which there's no violence as all violent acts are foreseen and stopped before they occur. But what if you are accused of killing a person you've never met for reasons you don't even know? None of this has happened yet, so there's still time to change the course of the future. How would you fight a system you thought was infallible?

While I like the writing and find the idea of a dystopic future where precognition is so reliable that it's
Jeannette Nikolova
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

I'd heard so much about Philip K. Dick but this is the first book of his that I actually got to read. In one of my classes he was the main topic too often for me not to find something of his. I kind of expected that the hype would be bigger than the actual greatness of Dick's works. But I'll be the first one to admit my mistake.

I actually liked The Minority Report so much, that I chose the movie as my exam topic. The movie and the book are extremely different. As
Leonard
Nov 23, 2013 Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
What if we can detect crimes before they happen? What if we can arrest criminals before they commit crimes?

Anderton is the commissioner and founder of Precrime, the police force that arrests criminals before they have a chance to commit crime. Computers manipulate “gibberish” from three “precogs,” each one seeing into a possible future, and Anderton determines whether a crime will be committed. When two or more “precogs” agree on an outcome, the resulting agreement is a majority report and the p
Jeremy
Feb 22, 2014 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'm waiting for my publisher to show up and hand over the proof copy and buy me some beers and he's running late so I duck into this all-books-are-$10 joint called The Book Grocer on Russell Street since I am unequipped. I have time to read about three quarters of the short story of the same name as the book before Stephen shows up...

...and then it's all about me and mine, but as soon as practically possible, I get into the chair beside my reading chair (my daughter having occupied my usual s
Hugo
May 20, 2016 Hugo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca, 2016
Basta dizer que vi o filme de Spielberg antes, que usa o essencial do conto de PKD, expandindo de forma magnífica este mundo em que três mutantes da agência Precrime conseguem prever crimes, o que permite detenções antecipadas, sendo que o mais recente visado é John Anderton, o responsável pelo programa.
Wendi
May 21, 2008 Wendi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tina
J.E. Mac
Dec 14, 2012 J.E. Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is difficult to review. On many levels, I really enjoyed it, despite its flaws.

1) It got right what the movie got incredibly wrong.

Namely, that in any story with a character knowing the future (specifically his own) there needs to be the feeling of inevitability. That all events are unavoidable, even when actively avoided. If the outcome foretold is to come true in the story, then the protagonist needs to do everything in his power to make sure it doesn't happen.

And the easiest way t
Chris
Jul 05, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fof-reads
Fantastic short story from Philip K. Dick. I was actually surprised at how much I liked this, as I'm not normally a huge reader of short stories and I know Tom Cruise was in the movie adaptation. But it was very engaging and quick paced. I'll need to read more of his shorts, if this is any indication of the quality. Who would have expected the short (view spoiler)Dick to be so good? While I did see that climax coming, it was still very satisfying.

Daniel Gonçalves
Um marco na história da ficção científica, K. Dick fica lembrado pelas suas ideias mais do que pela sua prosa. Este conto alargado já foi adaptado para filme, assim como muitas das suas obras. A razão do seu sucesso pode residir neste facto.
Lucas Bale
Apr 29, 2015 Lucas Bale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read The Minority Report. It struck me last night when I saw Tom Cruise in something advertised on Netflix – it might have been Oblivion. So I turned to my dog-eared copy of a collection of Dick's short-stories and read it in bed. It's somewhat slow, some might even say pedestrian, but to me very clever. Full of paradoxes, interesting moral questions – time, inevitability of our actions, the desire to change based on knowledge of what our future selves might do, whether we can change a ...more
Wart Hill
rushed, stilted, too much telling rather than showing.
S.
Jul 29, 2013 S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
only 112 pages, so I hesitate to give it the 5 stars the actual tightly-written prose deserves... 112 pages = very long short story? or very short novel? a 'novella' I suppose... in any case, length seems to be the only criterion calling for less than full honors.

Minority Report turned into a Tom Cruise vehicle, made a nice visual movie which just about dealt with the concepts at stake-- although PKD's real accomplishment was the speculation on police/military and police-military relations that
Jeff Yoak
Nov 30, 2016 Jeff Yoak rated it really liked it
This book is so much smarter than the movie. The movie has the dramatic tension surrounding a "minority report" among the precogs and it is about their fallibility. The book focuses on the time paradox involved in someone who gets advance knowledge of the judgement of the precogs because of his position with the police, with the precogs considering different time frames and his reacting to having that information, which is far more interesting.
poiboy
Nov 27, 2012 poiboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is NOT your movie version of Minority Report. it is well different and well better constructed. a good story.
Colby Pryor
Minority Report by Phillip K. Dick is about a future where all violent crime has been abolished thanks to the advancement of Precog technology. Precogs are mutants with the ability to see one week into the future, and are at the center of the technology. The story focuses on a police commissioner, known as Anderton, who receives a premonition from the Precogs that he will kill someone in one week. Now the race is on to find out if Anderton will kill a man or if this is just an elaborate setup f ...more
Jamie
Jan 28, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies-seen
Since this book is comprised of many short stories by Dick, I'll review each of the ones I read. I'll base my rating upon the general consensus of Dick's work rather than an individual story.

Minority Report: This short story was pretty good. I saw how the story was the underlying idea for the movie, but I have to say that I enjoyed the story in the movie more than this smaller version of it. Since this is the first short story I've read by Dick, I have to say that I like the way he writes and t
Ella
Jul 19, 2015 Ella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Paradox!!!!!!!!!! This was a very cool book that was a quick read but had a pretty good plot and I did have to think about it. I think the author could have run farther with the plot during some parts but overall it was a nice read. The format that I read it in was a book where you open the book up like a detective notebook and read the pages almost like you are holding a normal book on its side... Also, the last word of ever page and the first word of the chapter was always in these cool letter ...more
Amy
Aug 17, 2016 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, classics
I feel a kinda bad, only giving this 3 stars, because I normally love Philip K. Dick's work, but I was just massively underwhelmed by this story.

I think the main problem with this book, is the same problem a lot of short stories seem to suffer from. There's just not enough time spent on the characters or the plot. We've hardly met the main character before he's on the run, and I just didn't care. I didn't care about him, his wife, his job, or that fact his life was crashing around his head.

Tha
Filipe Lemos
Sep 20, 2013 Filipe Lemos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans who want to find out where it all started
First of all, this is the first story I've ever read of Philip K. Dick and... WOW, what a prodigious imagination.

Why 2 stars. The movie is nice. Not great, but pretty good. And it built on the book to make the story so much better. So the book kind of pails in comparison.

But this only engreatens this author to a status of LEGEND. For someone who died so young, to have had such an impressive influence is today's fiction, is just unbelievable.

I want to read everything he ever wrote!!!
Annelies
It's a simple, though original tale, but not complex enough to get a 4 star rating.
Aso
i just wish the story could be a little bit longer and have more details.
Ryan
Apr 25, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great idea that isn't quite lived up to with the story. Definitely makes me want to read some more Philip K. Dick however!
Marts  (Thinker)
A precrime system sounds really great, but when it identifies the next criminal...
Molly
Feb 04, 2017 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a short story, Minority Report is very good. I think I would have enjoyed it even more if it had been longer, more in depth, and had the suspense of the situation built to a greater degree. I do believe I found the movie of the same name more satisfying. With technology and computers ever more pervasive in our lives, this is worth reading.
  • Letters from LA
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • By His Bootstraps
  • House of Meetings
  • Press Enter
  • Supertoys Last All Summer Long and Other Stories of Future Time
  • Strange Days (movie tie-in)
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • More Than Human
  • The Children's Story
  • Twelve Monkeys
  • A History of Violence
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

“The existence of a majority logically implies a corresponding minority.” 10 likes