Start by marking “Sea Dragon Heir” as Want to Read:
Sea Dragon Heir

Sea Dragon Heir (The Chronicles of Magravandias)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In a world beyond time, the Palindrake family rules the rocky kingdom of Caradore, their right ordained by their allegiance to the power of the sea. But war came to them, and defeat at the hands of the king of Fire. For generations the Palindrake Lords served the god of Fire.

But now, five lifetimes later, the Palindrake heir, Vlraven V, has a twin sister, a woman who embod
Published April 1st 2011 by Tor Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Dragon Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Dragon Heir

Jorge
Sea Dragon Heir is the first book of The Chronicles of Magravandias trilogy, and this is one example that leads me to increasingly avoid trilogies, or any kind of these fantasy sagas altogether. The problem is that I always have to finish a book series, no matter how disappointing they turn out to be… like this one… Well, Sea Dragon Heir was actually palatable but its most distinctive feature was the strong sexual content that mixed incest, homosexuality and the sorts. Other than that it was a p ...more
Vin
It started out interesting, with plots, forbidden passions, and murky motivations. The protagonist of the first bit, Pharinet, is a person of questionable morals and judgment, but interesting. I was very curious to see what all her scheming would accomplish, and how her character would develop - for good or bad. The plot is racing along, but then all the momentum is lost. The POV switches to six years later and another character, and then it's 100+ pages of sitting around doing nothing, waiting, ...more
Kelly
I loved these books when I was about fifteen. I thought they were fascinating. I think I missed a few things. I can't rate them any higher because I don't remember anything more than a few wonderful turns of phrase. Also, I think I remember finding the plot kind of heavyhanded.
Rae
In a lot of ways the first half of this this book is like a soap opera. The main character in the first half is Pharinet and she stays home though the entire book while others go off and do stuff and sometimes tell her about it later. There's no fight scenes and no action because the focus is on interpersonal drama. The characters are all flawed in various ways and constantly find new ways to get themselves in trouble though affairs and love triangles. Unfortunately, for being such an important ...more
Elizabeth Reuter
Sea Dragon's Heir is the first--and strongest--of the Magravandias Chronicles trilogy. It put Constantine's unique and poetic writing style to its greatest advantage, while the subsequent two books dragged a bit.

Though the story supposedly revolves around Valraven's decsion (hero or oppressor?), we rarely see anything from Valraven’s point of view; instead, the story flows through the eyes of those around him. First we watch him grow up by following his sister and lover Pharinet. Then when he’s
Christopher
I picked up this book on a lark - and started reading the first few pages. I instantly fell in love with Storm Constantine's writing style, and bought the book on the spot. The story took a few twists I wasn't the happiest with, but I kept with it all the same because I adored her writing.

Then, the plot got wonky. And it seemed to grow lost. But I kept reading, hoping that things would clear up eventually. That's my reasoning for reading the next two novels in the series as well, because I truly
Anastasia
The 2nd half of the book, where the POV changes from Pharinet, twin sister to the heir of a conquered country, to Varencienne, his new bride who falls in love with the land and feels the lost magic of the sea dragons, much more interesting. When I only read the first half, I couldn't finish the book, and my interst in the trilogy was only reawakened when I read the sequel, "The Crown of Silence," which didn't depend on knowledge of the previous book.

So my advice is - start with "The Crown of Si
Cassiel
I was thrilled when this book fell into my hands, because I had been hearing raves about Contantine as an edgy, original fantasy writer. Unfortunately, I did not find her to live up to her reputation.
The plot of the book is average, and the incest between the main characters is neither shocking, nor were the characters appealing enough to make the incest erotic. While I enjoy dark characters and personalities, these two are merely hateful.
Another criticism is that here Constantine clearly inte
Uneven, but engrossing. The tone changed considerably from the first half (darkness, brooding, incest, family disasters) to the second half of the book (rather hopeful adventure). Good pacing.
Rob
I read the first half and often times with Storm’s writing I find the language beautiful but the story plodding enough as to grow tiresome.
Kendra
So, after finally finding the 2nd and 3rd book in the series, I am able to dive right into the trilogy. This book is slow. A few odd parts, with regards to incest, and it really didn't seem to have a point. The book picked up at the second half, and then ended. There was a whole lot of pointless extra stuff, that really didn't do it for me, and a lot of time jumping, as in childhood to older adulthood. But it did hold my interest, enough to jump right into the second book.
Kat Jackson
It's been a while since I picked up and enjoyed a fantasy like this. It was an incredibly easy read and I fell into her world with ease. Though I didn't really find myself enjoying the characters that much, I felt that the history she set up was vivid and that is what compelled me to continue with the novel. I'm not sure if I will read the rest of the series yet (simply because I've heard they take a turn for the worse,) but I'm definitely considering it.
Nerine Dorman
I've read this book now for the second time and I still enjoy it. It moves slowly and some of the characters are definitely not likeable but Constatine succeeds in making me sympathise with them. Overall, I love the lush descriptions and especially the way she portrays the sea's restless spirit. The tale is very textured, and perhaps that is what I appreciate the most about it.
Measi
Couldn't finish it - the incest was off-putting enough, but none of the characters had a quality worth caring about. All of them were some combination of disgusting, vindictive, evil, or whiny, none of which are appealing for me to spend time reading for what's supposed to be enjoyment. It reads like bad fanfic, written purely for the shock value.
Lisa H.
I need to re-read this trilogy, I think - I read it probably 10 years ago, and remember thinking it had some really intriguing insights into how magic works, but other than that I'm having a hard time remembering the *content*. (Typical.)

I do recall getting really irritated by it (her writing style, I think) by the time I got through the third book.
Danielle
Ugh. This book reminded me why I hated reading Storm C. books after suffering through the Wraeththu series. She seriously hates women, there's no two ways to put it. I feel opressed, depressed and plain pissed after trying to read her stuff.

Even though I liked the premise of a priestess of a sea dragon... how can she screw up a story like that so bad?
Debbie
Oh I am definately reading this again! I love how Storm weaves her plots and shows that no one is truly all evil or all good. The characters are more believable that way.If you read one of The Chronicles of Magravandias, you will want to read the other two as well. This erotic fantasy fiction at its best!
Kay
well writyten and fascinating, Storm Constantine has always managed to build believable worlds and social systems. The characters are well portrayed and, whilst not all likeable, are ones you can still empathise with and understand their motivatiion.
I just wish i hadn't waited so long to read this!
Megan Lillian
Started off interestingly, but it went in a completely different direction than I was expecting with the shift to the princess' perspective... My interest died quickly after "Part II" began. For all her flaws, Pharinet was the more intriguing character.

Anonymole
Basic test [yes/no:]: Would I recommend you read this book or not. Was it worth the few hours spent reading it? Am I pleased that I spent the time reading it? --- Yes ---
Olivia Ramage priest
I read this back in the early to mid 2000's. it was interesting and had lots if lust and insets. I do like her style of gothic writing and wouldn't mind reading more of her books.
Starimprint
My mom got me this book when i was in high school. Yeah, i tore it to shreds and burned it. Me and my mom both didn't know what was in it till it was too late.
Frank Taranto
Some great if totally flawed characters. The story is mostly of the Palindrakes, former royalty who now serve their conquerors, and their struggles.
Adrian Phoenix
Nov 09, 2011 Adrian Phoenix rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fabtasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, own
I enjoyed this and am planning to pick up the second in the series. A shame it took me so long to discover this book given that it came out in 2000.
Elizabeth
Oct 08, 2011 Elizabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melissa
Shelves: fantasy
Seems like a good solid fantasy novel. So far I like it :)
Dana
An absolute must-read, just like the rest of the series!
Jenni
Twisted novel of love, lust,desire, and freedom.
M
Good but in the end just another Dragon book.
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Dragon's Winter
  • Maledicte (Antyre, #1)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • A Companion to Wolves (Iskryne World, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Buddies
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
  • The Book of the Damned (Secret Books of Paradys, #1)
  • Wicked Gentlemen
  • A Book of Tongues (Hexslinger, #1)
  • The Belly of the Wolf (Lens of the World, #3)
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 4
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or
More about Storm Constantine...
Wraeththu The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (Wraeththu, #1) The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1) The Bewitchments of Love and Hate (Wraeththu, #2) The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire (Wraeththu, #3)