Start by marking “The Christmas Wish” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Wish

The Christmas Wish (Will Martin #1)

At the age of four, Will Martin lost his parents and went to live with his grandparents. The warm memories of life in a small town and the old-fashioned Christmas holidays he and his grandparents shared sustain him still as a young man making his way in the world.

Years later, Will takes a leave of absence from his job in New York City to return home after his grandfather's
Published October 6th 1998 by Harmony (first published January 1996)

CKE387
Dec 27, 2013 CKE387 rated it really liked it
This story is about Will Martin, the grandson of Warren and Ruth Martin, who lost his parents to a car accident 28 years ago. In the current timeline, Will and his grandmother are dealing with the aftermath of his grandfather, Warren's, death. His grandmother reads the journals that Warren kept, which mentions a woman named Lillian that Warren visited every Christmas Eve. Ruth wants to know who is Lillian. "With an inspiring message wrapped in an irresitible mystery, this heartwarming Christmas ...more
Deanne Patterson
Sometimes a hidden secret is far from what you think. A must read!
Cheri
Dec 25, 2015 Cheri rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Richard Paul Evans fans
Will has a busy, very-important-j0b in Manhattan, but when his grandfather dies, he heads back to his small-town "home" to help make decisions about his grandfather's real-estate business. Filled with ideas about how to pull this business into this century, make it more profitable takes Will longer than he predicted, which doesn't sit well with either his boss or his girlfriend.

It's when his grandmother gives Will her one wish for Christmas that his world is turned upside down, and Will begins
Julie Barrett
Mar 20, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
The Christmas Wish by Richard Siddoway
Will Martin is back to the town where his grandparents had raised him when his parents are killed.
He's there to help the grandmother to settle the estate and he is given the journals, one written every Christmas eve....He recalls many happy holidays.
She wants him to find out about the woman mentioned in the journals for over 27 years....
As life goes on they each learn all the things the grandfather had done for the others in town, whether it be money or a go
Cindy
Feb 27, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
Very Richard Paul Evanesc I thought. I thought it was ok although I figured out who the mystery person was in the first several chapters. I seems these Richards just keep writing the same story over and over again. Like I said it was ok.
Cathy
Nov 17, 2011 Cathy rated it it was ok
This book made me mad. If it was such a good marriage and William Martin was such a great man, why did no one know about him until after his death. It was a contrived mystery.
Sheri
Dec 22, 2016 Sheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-reading
This was a really sweet story. It had a little bit of mystery to it, a little bit of romance, and a whole lot of moral! I really enjoyed the legacy that the Grandfather, Warren, left when he passed away. He was remembered fondly for having a good and loyal heart. His handshake was his bond, and that's hard to come by these days. The memories people pass down to his grandson are wonderful in paving a new path for him to take, instead of the one he had set out to take. This book was the perfect ge ...more
Michelle Christensen
Dec 27, 2016 Michelle Christensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This is a sweet coming home Christmas story with an inspirational message that left me feeling good at the end. What more do you want from a Christmas story?
Kelly Adamcik
Mar 11, 2017 Kelly Adamcik rated it it was amazing
great christmas book
easy read
interesting story
couldn't put down until i finished it
Terry S
Dec 12, 2016 Terry S rated it it was amazing
A great book to get into the spirit of Christmas. A page turner with an unpredictable ending. This is a perfect read for anyone who wants a quick story to jump start Christmas!
Cari Hopkins
Dec 05, 2016 Cari Hopkins rated it it was amazing
Well, I started my season of Christmas, cornball, heartwarming book craziness. This was a goodon'!
Rita
Nov 22, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it
Loved it.
Cindy
Nov 13, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
A lovely Christmas story. What it lacks in 'feelings' is made up by my emotions as I read it.
Becca
Bookclub Read: There are two different versions of this book. I read the original version, which is very different in a lot of ways, but the same in the main idea behind the story.

I found this book to be extremely simple. Simple writing, simple reading, not a lot of depth, but some nice feel-good moments. There was not a lot of detail and some of the conversation felt stilted, awkward, and not very realistic, but overall the simplicity of the story rather than the action kept it fast-paced.

Word
Ann Kiefer
Dec 27, 2016 Ann Kiefer rated it liked it
Sweet story for the Christmas season
Marlo
Dec 28, 2016 Marlo rated it really liked it
Sharon
Dec 21, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This book is a book of hope and compassion. It is a quick and easy ready. I highly recommend it.
Karah
Dec 27, 2011 Karah rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Jeannie Fulkerson
Dec 19, 2016 Jeannie Fulkerson rated it really liked it
This book is great! I read it almost every year around Christmas time.
Heidi
Dec 19, 2008 Heidi rated it liked it
I semi-predicted the mystery piece of the book based off of a different book I read, but the book was still good. It carried thought-provoking ideas about the choices we make and where we choose to let those choices lead us. Attitudes and behaviors are shown as a direct result of the way people view themselves through others' eyes, yet the "hero" of the book was a very private man that seemed to care more about how he viewed himself as a result of his choices rather than how others' viewed him b ...more
Ada
Jan 02, 2013 Ada rated it really liked it
Will was raised by his grandparents and becomes a successful young man with a job in New York and a high society girlfriend. After his grandfather's death, the real estate firm his grandfather owned was deeded to him and he comes home to straighten things out. In the process of reading journals, his grandmother finds references to a Lillian and says all she wants for Christmas is for Will to find out who that woman is and why her husband kept her a secret. The book is a quick read, but has a tou ...more
Brian Wilson
Dec 21, 2010 Brian Wilson rated it it was amazing
Awesome, awesome book! It held me the whole time I was reading it and I was just all full of the Christmas Spirit the whole time I was reading it. Really well written, and the mystery aspect of the book had me guessing the entire time! One of those few books where you just have absolutely no clue what the author has up their sleeves, and once they reveal it, it is just incredible and makes the book that much better. Anyway, I am just not in the mood for typing right now and I am not doing the bo ...more
Brenda Whitner
Dec 24, 2014 Brenda Whitner rated it it was amazing
This book actually brought tears to my eyes. Heartwarming story about a young man who returns home to run his grandfathers business for a while after its been left to him. While he is staying with his grandmother she reveals that there was another woman named Lillian mentioned in his grandfathers journals and all she wants for Christmai is to find out who she is. So Will begins the quest to find Lillian.
Mary
Dec 04, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
This book put me in the holiday spirit as I'm working during Christmas. It is a touching book about a Manhattan
Exec that goes home after his granddad's death. He finds his gramps had an affair. His granny wants him to find
This woman to get the scoop. Along this journey he finds himself and starts to live life. The end is very cool and
Surprised me. Forgiveness is key for Will and he learns to let go and have fun!!!!!!!!
Debbie Mattson
Mar 10, 2011 Debbie Mattson rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I liked the message at the end of the book, but the whole time I was reading the story I was biting back my tongue! The entire story they try to make you believe that this deceased old man who lived a very good, kind life had a double life and was at the same time cheating on his wife for a good thirty years. I don't know why they have to transfigure someone so good to get there message across at the end. Once again I do not want to read this story to my children.
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
My family taped the TV movie based on this book when it came out years ago and watched it together every Christmas season. It's hard to find the movie now, but my whole family really enjoys the movie. I finally read the book after meaning to for years and found that the movie is a very good adaption of the book and really true to the original story. It is a sweet, moving Christmas story and was a very quick read.
Victoria
Dec 26, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
Will Martin was orphaned at 6 and raised by his grandparents. Now as an adult he needs to sort out his grandfather's affairs because grandfather died on July 4. Now is it the Christmas season. His grandmother asks that Will find out who Lillian is. A name in the journals that grandfather kept that grandmother is how able to read. As Will seeks to find out the mystery woman he discovers who his grandfather really was
Marian
Nov 13, 2014 Marian rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.I read in one day. Could not put it down. Will goes back home after being away in New York City working a great job and his grandfather who was a father to him passes away and leaves him his Real Estate office and finds himself changing how he views life when talking to town people about his grandfather.His Grandmother finds something she would not expect in one of his jornals and Will must solve it.
Cat Tutt
Dec 02, 2015 Cat Tutt rated it really liked it
Satisfyingly good Christmas novel. I predicted the ending incorrectly, and I always enjoy when that happens. Of course, it's also not that unusual. Some not-quite-believable things wrap it up into a neat little story, but I think that's quite normal for this type of book. All in all, good read, and a quick read.
Beth
Dec 03, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
3.5 A good Christmas story.
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Christmas Candle
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • The Reindeer Keeper: Believe Again...
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • The Christmas Basket
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • The Unfinished Gift
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah and reared in Bountiful, a town about 10 miles north of Salt Lake City. I graduated in the first graduating class from Bountiful High School in 1957. Five years later I returned to teach at BHS. I taught there for 26 years with a year out to teach among my Navajo friends in Chinle, Arizona.

I left Bountiful High School when I became vice principal at Viewmont High
More about Richard Siddoway...

Will Martin (2 books)