Start by marking “Late Great Planet Earth” as Want to Read:
Late Great Planet Earth

Late Great Planet Earth

The impact of The Late Great Planet Earth cannot be overstated. The New York Times called it the 'no. 1 non-fiction bestseller of the decade.' For Christians and non-Christians of the 1970s, Hal Lindsey's blockbuster served as a wake-up call on events soon to come and events already unfolding all leading up to the greatest event of all: the return of Jesus Christ. The yea

Published June 1st 1970 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1970)

Paul Bryant
Jan 07, 2015 Paul Bryant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: godreads
This book has been on my radar for years, always wondered what it was all about. It gets a namecheck in Fourth of July Creek and that was the reminder I needed.

What’s it about? It’s about what’s happening right now, baby! Rapture! End Times! World’s greatest come-back tour! Heck! More heck!

I don’t understand how evangelicals like Hal Lindsey and his zillion followers think about God. Here’s the Bible and it contains this prophecy which literally will tell you what’s going to happen to the planet
Werner
Jun 05, 2014 Werner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not recommended
Recommended to Werner by: A college classmate
Note, June 5, 2014: I just edited this review (from 2008) slightly, to correct two typos that I discovered.

Written in a world steeped in social injustice and oppression, a major theme of the Old Testament is that this deformation of society is a result of rebellion against God, and that God is on the side of the oppressed and will act decisively at the end of history to usher in a new order of justice and righteousness for those who respond to Him in faith and obedience. The New Testament builds
John
May 22, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone....
Shelves: must-have-books
This book is what answered the questions that I had about why we were here, what was wrong with the world and where we were heading...

in other words, after reading this book I gave my life to Jesus Christ... March 1975.

The problem with the world is sin. God provided a solution, found only in Jesus Christ.
Seth Pierce
Apr 29, 2013 Seth Pierce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Interesting book isn't it?" asked the man sitting next to me on the plane.

"Um...yes" I said, unsure of how to effective communicate the reality of this book's impact on Christian eschatology and the reality of its ridiculousness.

Steeped in Scofieldian Dispensationalism, this little work inspired the Left Behind novels and has altered the landscape of Bible believing fundamentalists everywhere--with the exception of scholars who wish this theological framework had never found the light of day.
Steve
Aug 28, 2012 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Absolute Rubbish!!
Sandi
Sep 23, 2008 Sandi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I read this back in the late Seventies or early Eighties. It was very compelling reading at the time. Lindsey was so convincing in what he was saying, but it really was a bunch of bull.
Tim
Dec 04, 2008 Tim marked it as misc  ·  review of another edition
Just like reading the end of the year horoscopes the following year, nothing that Hal presented at prophecy ever came to pass. He simply did what a great many people did during the 70's; he rode the coat tails of former fear mongers and wrapped his book with the supposed reliability of the bible. Let's face it, the language of the Old Testament invokes fear because it is nearly always synonymous with doom, the end of things, catastrophe, disaster, etc.
Sigh.
Reminds of the book, "88 Reasons why t
Lee Anne
Dec 08, 2008 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prophecy, christian
Interesting to see the pagan reviews on this one. Funny how they say "none of this has happened". Just wait! ;-) They themselves are fulfilling scripture with their very comments! (2 Peter 3:3-14; Jude 17-19)
Andy
Mar 04, 2011 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 1970's were an incredibly strange time. If one wants to get a real feel for the decade, this book, arguably the key seminal text in the then-burgeoning "Born-Again" Christian movement (which quickly evolved/devolved into the Moral Majority movement of the 80's), is a definite must on the reading list. This mighty screed, perpetrated by the infamous Hal Lindsey, is one of the few books I've ever read simply to see what all the buzz was about (LGPE was quite the sensation, especially toward th ...more
Bill
Jul 27, 2011 Bill rated it did not like it
I got right into this book at high school! It became the topic of a running debate between an atheist friend and myself. I recall making bold predictions about world events that were going to leave him speechless when they were inevitably fulfilled! Yes, well, about that... :) Let's just say I won't be recommending this book to anyone nowadays.
Ned
Jan 17, 2009 Ned rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the meat of the "Left behind" series. Consider it the adult version. Hal Lindsay does a great job of researching and quoting the research of others regarding the biblical prophesies of the end times. He makes it interesting by applying what he discovers to his current time,the late 60's. He is not a prophet, he freely admits that, but he tries to apply the prophesies to the then current times. Israel's emergence as a nation, the Soviet union and the rise of a European common market.

I giv
Randy
Sep 26, 2007 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much started with my high school days search for the truth. Read it and act accordingly.
Libertine
Oct 01, 2007 Libertine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Fundamentalist claptrap...
Bob Ladwig
I actually thought this book was great when I first read it as a young Christian, as I have matured and rejected dispensationalism and it's theological mother premillenialism, Lindsey's explanations of the prophetic writings of the Bible really fail to make much sense. Lindsey's interpretation is espescially meaningless to the 1st century church to whom the book of Revelation was written initially, yet the book promises to be beneficial to the readers thereof, and they were expected to understan ...more
Curtis Chamberlain
I read this book the first time way back in 1988, I think. I was amazed then, and I am still amazed now!

What an accurate Biblical accounting of end times prophecy! Hal Lindsay leaves no stone unturned---no mystery to be discovered---in his explanation of what is to come according to the Bible.

Fact-filled, historically and scientifically accurate, this book leaves no doubt as to the future for believers and non-believers alike. Every believer should be praying that non-believers get hold of this
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 14, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it liked it
A fairly interesting read. The book is based on a fairly literal read of prophecy and an attempt to apply modern political forms to match it to an end time picture.

Oddly later I read some of the same ideas elswhere and wondered who wrote it first.

Read, enjoy. i to am a Christian and believe prophecy is in the Bible for a reason, but I also believe Christ when he said His return would be a t a time "you think not". I sort of think prophecy may be there somewhat so God can say "see I told you so."
Tom Lombardo
Feb 16, 2014 Tom Lombardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone researching the End Times movement
Hal Lindsay’s The Late Great Planet Earth kicked off what has become an incredibly influential spiritual and political phenomenon in American life – namely, the belief that we are living in the “End Times.”

The End Times is a period of amoral turmoil that precedes the rise of the Antichrist and that culminates with the return of Jesus Christ. Believers are convinced that prophecies from the Apocrypha and the New Testament – especially The Book of Revelations – are coming true all around us, “prov
Jaime Contreras
Hal Lindsey wrote this book decades ago to warn believers and non-believers. Decades later, it still resonates with impact and applicability. It is a faith-provoking book about the end times as foretold in the Bible. Given that it cited then-current events in some instances, some may shrug this off as fantasy. But, I would argue that it is even more applicable today.
Karin
Apr 16, 2013 Karin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread after about 30 odd years.I was impressed then,beeing young and impressionable.This time the only thing that got my attention me was the prediction that China would emerge as a Worldpower.Also, the emergence of the African -Arab block was a little suprising,but here we are.Is it a lucky guess?
Katie
Feb 22, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do like this book. It is very interesting if you are interested in biblical prophecy. It is a classic and it's interesting how much of what Hal talked about 40 years ago is still applicable to what is happening in the world today.
Donald Weaver
I like this book, and I feel that what Lindsey has written... supports what is written in the bible. If you have a bible in hand, as you read Lindsey's book TLGPE... I just don't see how anyone can say he is off track.

Yelibenwork Ayele
The Late Great Planet Earth is one of the most popular and one of the most misleading books on end time prophecy.

It begins by assuming that Jesus prophesied about the last days of this world when he spoke at length in response to the disciples' questions in Matthew 24.

Hal Lindsey's inattention to the context of Matthew 24 is responsible for the errors he has sown on the pages of his bestseller. In Matt 24 Jesus had just pronounced the destruction of the temple when his disciples asked him, "Tell
Jeroen Koornstra
Aug 17, 2015 Jeroen Koornstra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ofcourse it is easy after so many years to point out that Hal Lindsey was wrong. So many people were mislead by reading this book.
Where did it go wrong? What went wrong when Lindsey was interpreting the Bible?

A few times he mentions the fulfillment of several verses in the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70:
Daniel 9:26 (p28 and p148)
Luke 19:43,44 (p35)
Luke 21:23, 24 and Mat 23:36 (p42)
Since he was aware of this fulfillment, why did he not see that the generation that Jesus mentioned in Mat 24:34
Valerie
Wow, that was a blast from the past! For some reason unknown to me Ned ordered this book on inter-library loan and so it was right in front of me when I finished my last book and I thought, why not read this 1970 vintage "classic"? It sure reminded me of the way things were back then. Interest in astrology, man landing on the moon, worry about the "population explosion", the Russian (actually USSR)communist threat, the mysterious communist Chinese, the threat of nuclear war. Yep, those were the ...more
Calle
Apr 21, 2015 Calle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This book, called one of the biggest bestsellers of the 1970s, was interesting as an example of sensationalist pseudoscience popular during that time and gives some insight into the premillennial interpretation of bible prophecy. The authors try to apply the ancient prophecies to their own time and now, four decades later, the book is hopelessly outdated. It claims the communist Iron curtain countries, lead by Russia, will invade Israel and all this should happen within 40 years of the founding ...more
Danielle
Dec 01, 2008 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
Dad gave me this book to read. I tend to be wary of books about why a certain religion is right/wrong etc, but I was intrigued by the fact that this was labeled as "No.1 non-fiction bestseller of the decade" by the NY Times on the back cover of the 1977 publication. So far the book started out on a logical tract, talking about how seeking knowledge of the future is a part of human nature. Of course, when this book was written asking people "what's your sign" or if their vibrations were wrong was ...more
Ryan
Jan 10, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hal Lindsey's groundbreaking book truly brought eschatology into the forefront of modern Evangelical thought and discussion. For this, I commend him. I would give this book five stars, except that it also brought the Pre-Tribulation Rapture doctrine into the mainstream, and today this view--which, incidentally, is not at all defensible from a biblical standpoint--is by far the most popular among Evangelicals. My own book series, "These Final Days", discusses this issue in great detail.
Thomas GOSSE
Feb 20, 2016 Thomas GOSSE rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrash
A blockbuster when it came out in 1970, it missed everyone of its predictions. You are better of reading A Second Look at the Second Coming: Sorting Through the Speculations which will explain the rise and failure of the so-called "rapture."
Yaaresse
How a copy of this got into my parents' house is unknown. People were always giving us books, so it was probably buried in a bag of Reader's Digests or something.

I read it out of boredom as a pre-teen. It scared the utter crap out of me to think zealots like Lindsey had influence on enough people to keep his books on the bestseller lists. (It still does.) Then again, I suppose it influenced me, too...influenced me to get away from extremists and evangelicals ASAP.

There is one take-away from th
Henry Sturcke
Jun 20, 2015 Henry Sturcke rated it did not like it
Not going to bother to enter all the pre-millennial doom-mongering books I read back in the day. This will have to stand pars pro toto. It says a lot about the genre that no amount of dis-confirmation prevented the author from issuing a series of updated versions.
  • The Third Millenium
  • Footsteps of the Messiah
  • The Rest of the Gospel: When the Partial Gospel Has Worn You Out
  • Edgar Cayce on Atlantis
  • Revelation:  Four Views: A Parallel Commentary
  • Beyond the Cosmos: What Recent Discoveries in Astrophysics Reveal About the Glory and Love of God
  • The Genesis Flood: The Biblical Record and Its Scientific Implications
  • The Kingdom of Matthias: A Story of Sex and Salvation in 19th-Century America
  • The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views
  • The Man of Sin: Uncovering the Truth about the Antichrist
  • Dreams and Dreaming (Mysteries of the Unknown)
Hal Lindsey is an American evangelist, best known for his books on end times prophecies, including the bestseller The Late Great Planet Earth.
More about Hal Lindsey...