Start by marking “Yoga Mind And Body (Dk Living)” as Want to Read:
Yoga Mind And Body (Dk Living)

Yoga Mind And Body (Dk Living)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Develop your mental and physical potential, nourish yourself with simple, wholesome food and begin to take control of the stresses and tensions of everyday living by following Swami Vishnu-Devananda's five yoga principles - exercise, breathing, relaxation, diet and meditation.
Published May 1st 2008 by Dorling Kindersley (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga Mind And Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga Mind And Body

WR
Very simple and insightful book for anyone interested in Yoga. I liked this book particularly because it lists the beneficial aspects beside every pose. This book continues to change my life each and every day. I highly recommend it!
Sandrine
It is a pity I haven't discovered this book in the beginning of my yoga practice, the main postures and breathing techniques are described in details, with the help of many pictures, the common faults and the possible variations. The philosophy of yoga is pretty well explained without getting too much into details, so it is ideal for somebody who wants to discover yoga and is also a useful reference book when getting more experienced.
Azar Hoseininejad

ام

اَئوم، اُم. والاترین و آرمانی ترین مانترا می باشد
ام شبدارهمن یا صوتی که جهان را می آفریند، نام باستانی برای تئوری «صدای انفجار بلند» دانشمندان امروزی می باشد. ام همه صداها، همه ارتعاشات و همه مانتراها است.
Heather
This book touches on many traditional aspects of yogic practice. If you want to know more about the cleansing rituals and fasting, this is a good book to accompany you on a path with an experienced teacher.
Amanda
This is a very thorough overview of yoga, including basic postures and their benefits, yogic philosophy, and diet. It is a great text to refer back to from time to time, as I often do.
Amy
This is a beautiful book in the Eyewitness series that lays out the basics of the teachings I gathered from my time at the Sivananda Ashram in Grass Valley, CA. I love this style of yoga.
Jamie
I have moved onto my next new pursuits- guitar and yoga. Reading this as an introduction, the whole philosophy is very intriguing.
Fred Mephisto
I don't believe you could do better than this book for a practical introduction to hatha yoga. I refer to it often for years.
Nona Williams
Very helpful for my hatha yoga practice.
Kris
Feb 12, 2009 Kris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a killer workout
Shelves: self
This might be my new yoga book.
I was looking for some new poses and some new variations and this book had me cracking up. First, because they have a male model who just looks ridiculous in his sweatpants (the female looks awesome in her blue leotard). Second, because the pose variations are ridiculously hard! I laughed sadistically thinking about all the pain I was going to put L'Anita (my yoga partner) and I through. We've been trying some of them and we can't even do many of the basic poses! S
Karina
I think this was a birthday gift. I've learned some of the new interesting poses, but this is a rather challenging book. There's a lot of stuff I just can't do.

Addendum: If I recall correctly, there's a section on food, and a bit about yogic philosophy, and stuff about breathing (this is the "Mind" part that's referred to in the title I suppose). All of which I paid very little attention to, because I'm merely interested in the exercises themselves: I have my beliefs and I like them just fine.
Caroline
This is kind of a weird yoga book. I love books with pictures, and this one has a lot, but the tone of it is very new age-y and a bit on the preachy side. There are some good illustrations of poses and a nice discussion of meditation in the back, but there are some parts of the book (like the section on diet) that I could do without.
Lisa Houlihan
The primary model looks like Audrey Hepburn, but only superficially in features and fringe. The lack of expression in her eyes -- opposite Audrey -- scared me, especially compounded by what the HELL is she doing to her abdomen?
Saleris
This is a good book to people interested in yoga. I like it overall. The recipes are a nice touch.
Debi Yazbeck
Sphokazi Manyoni
Sphokazi Manyoni marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Cass
Cass added it
May 09, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Mawada
Mawada marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Thinlay
Thinlay marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Kelley Evans
Kelley Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Rich
Rich added it
Apr 16, 2015
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • Science of Breath
  • Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • France
  • The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
The Sivananda Companion to Yoga: A Complete Guide to the Physical Postures, Breathing Exercises, Diet, Relaxation, and Meditation Techniques of Yoga. Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion The Yoga Cookbook: Vegetarian Food for Body and Mind The New Book Of Yoga Sivananda Beginner's Guide to Yoga