Start by marking “Open Wide: Tooth School Inside” as Want to Read:
Open Wide: Tooth School Inside

Open Wide: Tooth School Inside

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
From the author/illustrator of The Scrambled States of America, here is a fun-filled introduction to teeth.

"Before the principal's announcements, will you all please stand and recite our pledge: 'I pledge allegiance to this mouth and to the dentist who takes care of us. And to the gums on which we stand, strong and healthy, with toothbrushes and toothpaste for all.'"

It's t
Published May 1st 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Open Wide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Wide

Amy
Sep 12, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
One day, when my niece was in kindergarten (4 years ago now!), the dentist came to school and taught the children about dental hygiene. I would have a hard time believing that any child has come away from the dental hygiene unit as excited as my niece. She came home and drew a person with an itty bitty body and an enormous head full of teeth, along with his huge red toothbrush overflowing with toothpaste. She used her little two minute timer diligently (until her conscientiousness kept causing h ...more
Maggie Ward
Jun 24, 2014 Maggie Ward rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, health
This book introduces children to the world of teeth. It begins by introducing the proper names of teeth by “taking attendance” at teeth school. The book comically follows Principal Fillingston on a journey through the mouth, beginning with what good and bad teeth look like, what the teeth are made of, what happens when a baby tooth is lost, and what a cavity is. This book would be a very useful tool for a 1-3rd grade classroom with students who are losing teeth or may be beginning orthodontia an ...more
Yusra Faridi
Apr 07, 2014 Yusra Faridi rated it it was amazing
This book takes place inside a tooth school, and describes a day in the life of a tooth. The book teaches everything from brushing to flossing, as well as about the different types of teeth. This book is full of information and interesting facts about our teeth and does a great job at encouraging young children to brush and floss daily in order to retain healthy teeth. I found this book incredibly humorous and informational; I believe students would enjoy it as well. The pictures are not only co ...more
Jessica
Nov 24, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Open Wide, tooth school inside, is one of my favorite books from childhood. Go to tooth school where you will learn all about teeth in the day of the life of a tooth. The illustrations are done in a collage way that presents additional information within the pictures. Every page is unique and different and makes reading and learning about teeth fun. This book makes me smile with every turn of the page. This would be a great book for teachers to have in the classroom because it is very educationa ...more
Kenzie
Feb 09, 2016 Kenzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
I loved this book. Kids love to learn new things, especially random facts about small parts of life such as teeth, each and every day, and through this book they are able to learn while they read at a level they can comprehend. I love that this is a nonfiction book while using a storyline with a main character and narrative-like elements. The pictures and all of the small details are also really entertaining throughout the book.
Alice
Jun 25, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 stars This was a weird trip through dental hygiene and teeth. Written in a fun way, but hard to follow, with lots of different formats and fonts...made my head hurt.

However, it is a great way to talk about teeth, clean teeth etc.

A dentist might do well to hand this book out to kids for prizes!
Hiroko Rodriguez
Feb 02, 2016 Hiroko Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
You'll learn a lot about teeth! Great book. We loved it.
Shiki's favorite part was:

During the lunch time when all the teeth are doing messy fight.

And the recess. Some tooth was saying" you are so cute" to another tooth.

The tooth land the Molar coaster and they are swimming in the tooth shaped pool.

Ashlee
Dec 01, 2015 Ashlee added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Open Wide: Tooth School Inside, is a nonfiction childrens book written by Laurie Keller. This book acts as if the children are at a tooth school. The teacher is Dr. Flossman and he teaches the children about brushing their teeth. This is a great book to teach children about dental health. It engages the children because it teaches them at a child level of talking. It uses great illustration to encourage the children to brush their teeth. This book will be on my book shelf in my classroom. It is ...more
Lydia Selden
May 14, 2014 Lydia Selden rated it it was amazing
I would always get this from the library (along with Pssst! by Adam Rex) I thought it was so funny!
Lots of memories!
Natalie
May 04, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
My girls love this book and I appreciate the dental knowledge and motivation they gain without me lecturing them.
Tara Gale
Apr 14, 2012 Tara Gale rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, the pictures where fun the story was fun, and the facts where presented in a wonderful way. If there was ever a need to teach about teeth Im sure I could find a way to use this book. This book would however be very difficult to read to a class out loud but I think it is possible with some crativity on the teachers part. I feel that students would ebjoy looking to this book alot and that it would be a fun read or good to listen to. I liked this book alot.
Camie
Jun 18, 2009 Camie rated it really liked it
My kids LOVE this book. We've only had it about a week and they've gone crazy with it. I know some people have a problem with all the side narrative, but...it's what keeps my kiddos interested and it really ties in with humor the educational part of the book. It's full of fun facts and presents a learning opportunity in an attention catching way. I don't know how else my kids would've enjoyed learning about all their different teeth - and...they're much more eager to brush.
Pita-eater
Aug 25, 2013 Pita-eater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teeth
This story follows a set of teeth in Tooth School, while sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly teaching children about oral hygiene. Laurie Keller uses lovely collage art like in her other books, but also includes some photographs of teeth (I didn't really like the teeth/mouth flower - creepy). Keller's sense of humor is hilarious, and I loved all of the little details and comments outside of the story and in the margins.
Ashley Cain
Great way to introduce tooth and oral care. Also includes some vocabulary of inside the mouth; charts, types of teeth
Heather Ligman
I love this book! It would be a hard book to read to the class. But it lends itself well as a book to read as an individual. It contains nonfiction information about teeth but presents it in a fun way. I believe kids of both genders would really enjoy it. The pictures are great! It reads almost as a comic strip would. The teeth are the students in school learning about how to take care of themselves.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book contained a lot of good information on teeth and how to take care of them, but it got lost in all the too-busy illustrations and cutsie text around which the information was built. The concept of following a class of teeth through a day at school as they learn about themselves is novel, and with different illustrations it might have worked. The quizzes at the end were a nice feature, though.
Jen
Oct 06, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: pb
This book was packed full of facts, but there wasn't a very clear narrative. I think many kids would enjoy exploring all the pictures and little bits of writing, but it's done in such a way that it would take a lot of time to get it all in. Kids might read it over and over rediscovering bits they maybe didn't see on the first time around. It does have a lot of silly dental oriented jokes.
Rachel
Apr 24, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Laurie Keller is hilarious! This book is educational and fun. You learn all of the names of teeth, what foods lead to cavities, the parts of a tooth, as well as random historical facts about teeth (like about George Washington's dentures). There's even a pop quiz at the end. There are lots of funny speech bubbles by the different teeth, and plenty of things for kids to look at on each page.
Amanda
Great non-fiction book for kids about teeth and dental hygiene. A little too much information (or requiring more attention span than available) for a 4 yr old. I think it's hilarious and appreciate the modern illustrations. Maybe we'll revisit when he's older and after he has more familiarity with dentists.
Leah Taylor
Feb 12, 2016 Leah Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book as a kid; informative and funny!
Heather
Nov 29, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: ki-lit
This crazy graphic novel teaches kids about the importance of cleaning your teeth and healthy eating habits. The students at this school are all the teeth in your mouth including the smarty pants the wisdom teeth and your canines who just run around and bark.
Cristina
I think a little too hard for a read aloud, with all the characters and side-commentary notes. A good book though with a lot of information on teeth. Probably great as a one-on-one read with an older child-- 1st grade+
Jenny
Feb 14, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! We all loved this book, it is so fun and it even has a little quiz at the end. One thing that I recommend that got a lot of giggles over here, read it in different voices for the toothy characters. :)
Jackie
Teeth in the classroom learn about dental hygiene and care. Silly, colorful, expressive illustrations carry the point home.

Used for "Let' Go to the Dentist" storytime-January, 2010.
Amudha
Oct 02, 2013 Amudha rated it it was amazing
Fun book about teeth and the mouth! It's entertaining for a 4 year old, 6 year old, all the way up to the parents. We had a great time reading it and laughing with it. Creative!
Ratforcekids
Open wide is a hilarious way to explore the world inside of our mouths. Full of funny facts and new information to discover, readers will have a blast.
Shalini Noronha
Sep 25, 2013 Shalini Noronha marked it as to-read
South Brunswick Public Library
Call Number Copy Material Location
J 617.6 KEL 2 Juvenile Book Juvenile Nonfiction Collection
Khawlah
Mar 27, 2015 Khawlah rated it it was amazing
I have had this book since childhood, and read it countless times yet it still never fails to make me feel good.
Relyn
Oct 21, 2009 Relyn rated it it was ok
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Do Unto Otters
I normally love Lori Keller, but this one was too pedantic. My kids liked it OK, but it wasn't great for them either.
Cole Finnian
Mar 03, 2010 Cole Finnian rated it really liked it
This is somewhat over Cole's 3 yr old head, yet, but he enjoys it with the crazy pictures and funny phrases.
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
  • Throw Your Tooth on the Roof: Tooth Traditions from Around the World
  • My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits
  • Waiting for Wings
  • Frog and Fly
  • Andrew's Loose Tooth
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Lost Tooth (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Oh, Yuck!: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty
  • When Charlie McButton Lost Power
  • Actual Size
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and
More about Laurie Keller...