Start by marking “Programming in C” as Want to Read:
Programming in C

Programming in C

Learn the C programming language from one of the best. Stephen Kochan's "Programming in C" is thorough with easy-to-follow instructions that are sure to benefit beginning programmers. This book provides readers with practical examples of how the C programming language can be used with small, fast programs, similar to the programming used by large game developers such as Ni ...more
Published July 8th 2004 by Sams Publishing (first published 1988)

Charles Portland
May 24, 2015 Charles Portland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can C clearly now...
Eddie
Dec 21, 2013 Eddie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
K & R is a challenging book. I'm still not convinced there is enough information in that book to finish the exercises without outside knowledge. I've been looking for another book that is more up to date than K & R and offered a little more explanation about some of the concepts implemented in C.

Kochan's Programming in C isn't it. (And it's twice the length of K & R.)

This book is full of incomplete explanations, misinformation, and runtime errors. Here are just a few:

Kochan claims ea
Harry
Jul 06, 2014 Harry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cse, c-lang
Nowadays if a practitioner try to learn the C programming language from the inventors book (K&R Ansi edition) he probably will give up.
Old time are gone nowadays out there actually exist a myriad of books (other than on line material tutorials etc)on C. Some of them are here:

So what text can choose a newcomer as a first try to learn the language? certainly you can avoid those reported here:

Online you can find also
Xiaofei Guo
Jul 03, 2012 Xiaofei Guo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
This book is my earliest book on programming. It is definitely a book that I will never forget. I learn my C skills solely on this book. The skills that I learn help me to bootstrap my research and all fun experiment that I want to do.
Burak Dede
Nice reference if you wanna know whats new with C11 specification but other than that average programming language book, nothing special.
Lisa Kucharski
May 02, 2016 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To say I really liked this book isn't quite accurate. It was a very informative book, and it was assigned reading for the CS50 course. (I'm still slogging through the course) but the book along with the other recommended read, is very useful in understanding C programming. I would say this particular book is very detailed and methodical in approach. It can be a bit overwhelming in terms of the dearth of information given. I would say that it takes you to a point to give you a basic understanding ...more
Dae
Jul 16, 2014 Dae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A very dense book with a lot of information. I would say for this reason it's excellent and I would give it a higher rating but for a beginner learning the C language it's ineffective and it left me more confused than anything else. I'm most certainly going to keep it as a reference and as I enhance my skills I'll come back to it.
Alison Van Arsdel
Aug 27, 2011 Alison Van Arsdel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was for a class and I didn't reference the book much. When I did I found some helpful information. The teacher was teaching differently than how the book was formatted, so it was not the best for my particular class. But I made an A, so theirs that. If I were self teaching I may find the book helpful.
Totally Kyle
Oct 30, 2014 Totally Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book on C and it taught a lot of good concepts. Although there are a few things (like pointers) that could have been explained with more detail it has quite a bit of detail. I would recommend this book to anyone trying to learn C, but they should already know at least one other programming language.
Houssem MENHOUR
Oct 24, 2016 Houssem MENHOUR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
A good book for someone who is new to programming in C and is not satisfied with the very short lacking ones but at the same time doesn't want to dig deeper with the much longer and more detailed ones, in other words its size puts it perfectly in between.
Rami Burpee
Good information, but found this book very difficult to read. too dry for me
Far Zin
At times concepts are simplified at the cost of accuracy.
Gabe
Nov 16, 2010 Gabe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good overview of the C language and procedural programming in general. Recommended.
Nathan Powell
Reading this book via Safari Books Online. Lots of things I already know, but lots I do not. I didn't finish this book, but I don't usually "finish" technical books.
David Lindsay
David Lindsay rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Vadiboom
Vadiboom rated it it was ok
May 07, 2016
Amjo324
Amjo324 rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Egzon Arifi
Egzon Arifi rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Stephen J Ennis
Stephen J Ennis rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Jaime Williams
Jaime Williams rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Chris Contreras
Chris Contreras rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Danielle Romain
Danielle Romain rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Stu
Stu rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Linde
Linde rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Dean
Dean rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Jez
Jez rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Rakesh
Rakesh rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Talles Medeiros
Talles Medeiros rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Michael Buchanan
Michael Buchanan rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Amjed Yousif
Good introductory book for learning c programming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1: The Sockets Networking API
  • Beginning Linux Programming
  • Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching
  • The CSS Anthology
  • Practical C Programming
  • Structured Computer Organization
  • Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
  • C++ Primer
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • CSS Cookbook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »