Start by marking “Stay Out of the Basement (Goosebumps, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stay Out of the Basement (Goosebumps, #2)

Stay Out of the Basement (Classic Goosebumps #22)

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  12,210 Ratings  ·  431 Reviews
Dr. Brewer is doing a little plant-testing in his basement. Nothing to worry about. Harmless, really.

But Margaret and Casey Brewer are worried about their father. Especially when they... meet... some of the plants he is growing down there.

Then they notice that their father is developing plantlike tendencies. In fact, he is becoming distinctly weedy- and seedy. Is it just p
Published July 1992 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Stay Out of the Basement, please sign up.

Shane Download pdf or buy the book. I use kindle reading the electron book.

Becky
Sooooo... Book two. I liked this story quite a bit more than the series opening book. It had some issues, but on the whole, it was a better story and made a hell of a lot more sense than Welcome to Dead House.

The premise here is that the family moved to Cali for Dad to take a job in a science lab... but then his experiments started getting a little... strange and dangerous, and so he was let go. But he didn't care, he just kept up the work -- IN THE BASEMENT THAT EVERYONE SHOULD STAY OUT OF! He
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
What if a loved one began acting strangely? Quite unlike their normal self? At first you think they are just stressed, or perhaps you worry that they are sick. Until some strange things start happening. Things that make you question if your loved one is even really the person they seem to be.

Margaret Brewer and her younger brother Casey live in sunny California. They're spending their days going to school, playing with friends, and teasing each other. But then their father, the botanist Dr. Brew
itchy
Sep 08, 2016 itchy rated it liked it
Shelves: soft
moral:
stay out of the basement
Andrew Greatbatch
Mar 09, 2015 Andrew Greatbatch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I loved this one.

Although, these cliffhanger endings are really frustrating, seeing as most of the books in this series are standalone, and I want to know what happens next, Damn you!
Melwyn
Feb 05, 2009 Melwyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book I am reviewing name is Goosebumps Stay out of the basement by RL Stines. It is a science fiction book. My thinking is the books theme is that never listen too your dad if he has leaves sprouting of his scalp.

The book starts with DR Brewer (he is scientist who research on plants) shifts his experiments into the basement because he gets fired from his job. One day Casey and Margaret (Dr Brewer’s kids) went into the basement to call their dad but unfortunately they get yelled at by their d
Shawn Thornton
Sep 28, 2016 Shawn Thornton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introducing my daughter to the wonderful world of horror. She loved it. l have always wanted to read these books. Now I have perfect excuse. Great fun.
Javi
La verdad es que el libro es un pelín «rarito». No me ha defraudado, porque empecé a leerlo ya que era el próximo que tocaba para seguir el orden de la colección, pero no tenía pinta de que fuera a gustarme tanto como los anteriores. Sobre todo algunos. No está mal, pero de no ser que estés siguiendo la colección por orden como yo, te aconsejo que pases a otro número porque lo encuentro demasiado infantil. Y por supuesto: nada de miedo en ningún momento; ni similar.
Mike
Oct 16, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
3,5 más bien. Me ha gustado, y sé que de pequeño me hubiera encantado, pero no ha sido de mis favoritos de la serie. Aun así, está bastante bien de todos modos.
Luffy
This is the 2nd book in the Goosebumps series, and I do think the first one was better, although both tales have similar scores. I've always wondered whether people whose favorite genre is horror are really frightened by what they read. And if not, then why do they keep coming back. Fear is an emotion everyone wants to avoid. Genuine fear has only recently in our history been isolated from its companion, Danger. The fear in a bungee jump, say, is almost devoid of danger, that's why it's a pasti ...more
Jeff
Aug 08, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever remember reading. I mean, I'm sure that my parents and grandparents read me stories as a yute, but the Goosebumps series is one I can remember choosing to read; this nuance is important.

My copy of Stay Out of the Basement is with the original cover, a green very detailed hand coming out of the basement. This is the original edition from 1992, from when I was 10 years old. I have to say, the nostalgia of holding the same book I read almost 20 years ago is a high wate
Juan
Jan 08, 2009 Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goosebumps: stay out of the basement is a great book. This book is mysterious and eerie. This book is about two kids and their crazy father.The kids are named Casey and Margaret. The story starts when the children's father starts to act very wierd and suspicious. The kids think something happened to their father, but they don't know what. The kids suspect it has something to do with him workng down in their basement. Casey and Margarets father is working with plants and machines down in the base ...more
Melissa Maillet
My daughters and I recently read Goosebumps #1. Where that book was written in classic ghost story style, Stay Out of the Basement was much more modern. Where the first book had many gothic elements, this one was more typical of today's off beat horror works. The first book had a creepy feel the entire way through the book while number two just felt weird.
One thing the books did have in common was a cliffhanger ending. Stine obviously uses this technique purposely. In the first book it felt very
David Santos
Aug 08, 2011 David Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goosebumps
Well "Welcome to Dead House" was better in my opinion. I'm not to keen on plant/human scientific dna stuff and I kind of knew what was happening from the start so the story was kind a dragged on for me, but still a very interesting book.

Judging a book by its cover (the other editions clearly show a human plant) I expected a completely different story. Like a monster in the basement killing all visitors or something, but it turned out alright.

One thing I realized after reading this book, was that
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ένα ακόμα βιβλίο της διάσημης σειράς παιδικών βιβλίων τρόμου του Stine, που μπορεί να μην είναι από τα καλύτερά του, ωστόσο αποτελεί ένα αρκετά ευχάριστο ανάγνωσμα. Ίσως αν η "υπερβολή" της ιστορίας ήταν πιο συγκρατημένη, να μιλούσαμε για μια άκρως τρομακτική αφήγηση, ωστόσο η σύγκρουση μεταφυσικού κι επιστήμης δεν αποδίδει ιδανικά, ακόμα και για τα παιδιά.
Amina
Nov 18, 2015 Amina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The two stars are for the last paragraph, its idea is simply awesome!
Maybe the world became scarier than horror stories, that's why I can't enjoy'em anymore
Marts  (Thinker)
Wow, I never knew reading about botany and biology could be so much fun and so exciting....
Josiah
Oct 17, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
I could definitely see upgrading my review of this book to two and a half stars, if that option were officially available.
Paying homage to movies such as Little Shop of Horrors while maintaining an original and thrilling narrative, R.L. Stine has followed up his first Goosebumps book, Welcome To Dead House, with another fresh, taut story.
It seems to me that Stay Out of the Basement allows us a bit deeper of a look into the inner feelings and lives of these main characters, Casey and Margaret,
Connie
Sep 06, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Stay Out of the Basement
Series: Goosebumps #2
Author: RL Stine
Overall Rating: 3.7 stars

This book follows the life of a mad biologist and his two kids, Margaret and Casey. When their mum goes away to visit her sister, their dad starts acting weird. Even weirder than before. Locking himself in the basement, losing his hair, growing leaves on his head. It's all too much for the siblings so they try to get the bottom of it and discover that there
Ryanhong
Mar 06, 2011 Ryanhong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ryanhong by: Myself
1. What is the book mostly about? Casey and his friends study the giant plant.
2. What is a fact? Monsters are not real.
3. What happened in the beggining? Dad acted strange.
4. Why was Casey suspicious? Because Dad was strange.
5. What is the same between Diane and Margaret? They are scared.
6. What do you think will happen next? The monster might scare them.
7. What does"amazed" mean? Surprised.
8. You could tell that Casey... thinks he/she is cool.
9. What is an opinion? That is the most scariest mon
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Oct 27, 2016 Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) rated it liked it
Shelves: r-l-stine
Live plants...dead people?!

I remember reading this as a kid. I was so freaked out about plants that I avoided every plant in our home for a month. I stayed away from green foods as well. Ah, nostalgia is a delightful thing, haha.

Not the best instalment of the series, but not the worst either, three leaves outta five.

Rebecca McNutt
This is an alright book for younger readers, but I found the writing really choppy, with limited vocabulary and a predictable plot.
Mike
Oct 10, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Binibining `E
This book is quite good, not that scary. I just love how it caters to teenagers.
Hannah Greendale
Nov 11, 2016 Hannah Greendale rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, horror
Margaret's father may be a botanist, but what he's doing in the basement suggests he may be a mad scientist.

A tall, treelike plant sighed and appeared to bend toward them, raising its tendrils as if beckoning to them, calling them back.

This book is undeniably kitschy, and then - BOOM! - the author drops some serious science into the mix: DNA, genome mapping, reproductive isolation, genetic modification and transgenics. These topics are explored in simpler terms, but they're nonetheless present
Atharva
Dec 10, 2016 Atharva rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here comes the second in the series but as the name suggests it does not at all give me goosebumps and not at all horror, you cannot even call it a thriller but a mere faint mystery. It follows a simple storyline, which turns and twist but in a particular fashion. 5 characters, 1 house, 1 experiment, 100 plants. The name "Stay oil it of the basement" stays true as most of the work is under the basement and its really creepy to see your parent turning weird and unresponsive and completely differe ...more
Darcy McLaughlin
The two Brewer kids have a botanist dad who gets fired from his fancy lab at a nearby university. This of course means he takes his important and probably extremely unethical work home with him, setting up shop in the family basement. The kids (Margaret and younger brother Casey) try to go down there, and he straight up loses his shit on them. "STAY OUT OF THE BASEMENT!" he screams like a lunatic.

So of course the rest of the book is a series of convoluted ways in getting the kids to go back dow
Andrew Kubasek
Feb 22, 2008 Andrew Kubasek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Personal interests led me to recently revive my interest in the middle-school level book series "Goosebumps." The book series actually follows the classic pulp-horror style, but aimed towards younger readers (3rd through 6th graders). Remembering this one to be one of my favorites, I managed to excavate it from a box in my garage to re-read it. I wanted to see if it held up over time. It did.

The story is only a slight variation on most of the Goosebumps stories. Pre-teen kid, with bratty younger
Trevor Wells
Aug 30, 2015 Trevor Wells rated it it was amazing
When it comes to horror, Stay Out Of The Basement ranks up with It Came From Beneath The Sink! The book may lack the Fridge Horror of my previous Goosebumps read, it contains something that I feel makes horror media great: Subtle, realistic terror. I'll get more into that in a minute.

Plot Synopsis: Margret and Casey's father used to be great. He was fun and outgoing and always made them feel happy. But after losing his job, Dr. Brewer changed. He began doing experiments in the basement and start
Cody
Oct 09, 2016 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rl-stine
R.L. Stine combines science and obsession in a winning formula with his second Goosebumps novel, Stay Out of the Basement.

Casey and Margaret's father, Dr. Brewer, has been spending an unusual amount of time down in the family's basement, working on his experiments with plants. He doesn't talk to his family much anymore -- he doesn't seem interested in anything except his scientific studies. One day the two siblings sneak down to the basement when their parents are away and discover their father
Andy
Apr 04, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children of the 90s if they haven't read them yet
Recommended to Andy by: I've had these books for years.
I remember seeing the episode based off of this novella and halfway through, I remembered part of the ending. Casey and Margaret are living with their parents and naturally, they suspect tyranny is afoot. Their father begins acting rather peculiar and at first, Margaret just ignores it for the most part. Then one day, they decide to go into the basement to talk to their dad and he becomes infuriated and yells up the stairs, well the title of this novella, "Stay out of the basement!" he bellows.
A
Goosebumps Fans: I was asked to talk about the books that made me an author... 2 18 Apr 04, 2016 07:56AM
Goosebumps Read-A...: Stay Out of the Basement 1 7 Oct 04, 2015 01:28PM
first entry-why I chose this book? 4 14 Sep 25, 2014 03:37PM
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Betraying Innocence
  • The Reaction (Animorphs, #12)
  • Angelblood (Dark Angel, #4)
  • Monster Blood (Goosebumps Presents TV Book, #15)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-sitters Club, #26)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...

Classic Goosebumps (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7)
  • The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11)
  • One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)
  • The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (Goosebumps, #5)
  • The Werewolf of Fever Swamp (Goosebumps, #14)
  • The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight (Goosebumps, #20)
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps, #23)
  • Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Goosebumps, #34)
  • Vampire Breath (Goosebumps, #49)
  • Night of the Living Dummy II (Goosebumps, #31)