Start by marking “Rethinking Popular Culture and Media” as Want to Read:
Rethinking Popular Culture and Media

Rethinking Popular Culture and Media

Rethinking Popular Culture and Media is a provocative collection of articles drawn from Rethinking Schools magazine. It begins with the idea that the "popular" in classrooms and in the everyday lives of teachers and students is fundamentally political. This anthology includes outstanding articles by elementary and secondary public school teachers, scholars, and activists w ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Rethinking Schools (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Popular Culture and Media, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Popular Culture and Media

Ben Babcock
My Media, Education, and Gender prof contributed an article to this book. He assigned the article as one of our readings, but he did not make us buy the entire book, providing a photocopy instead. I foiled his evil plan to save us money by ordering the book anyway, because I liked his article and a few others he used so much that I decided to see if the entire book was as awesome.

It is.

I took the Media, Education, and Gender course for two reasons. Firstly, I needed to take an elective, and it s
Daniel Riles
Mar 01, 2012 Daniel Riles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
There are few books that are this good. Any teacher, media specialist, or technologist should read this book. Like other publications it contains articles written by an array of folks including the editors of Rethinking Schools Magazine. Some articles I recognized from their original post in the magazine or inclusion in another compilation, but this group of writing holds together remarkably well. This book could serve as the springboard for work on diversity, media literacy, and pedagogy. Read ...more
Bakari
Jan 09, 2014 Bakari rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Teaching media and popular culture is one of the best ways to engage K-college students. This book includes one of my published articles about how to get students to explore the effects of media violence in culture. I don't conclude that media violence is the main cause of violence in our society, but rather it's about inviting students to explore how media violence is used to engage them as media consumers, and what stereotypes media violence perpetuates.
Caitlin Mitchell
Sep 30, 2011 Caitlin Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
Great read for any teacher looking to use pop culture/media to help students think critically about issues of social justice, tolerance, equality, etc. Would highly recommend this to any of my educator friends.
Jo
Oct 23, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
An important book, you can dip in and read chapters that interest you or dive in for the whole book.
Katrina
Sep 22, 2015 Katrina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
The concepts and articles in this book taught me a lot and inspired me for how I might share them in my classroom.
Lindsey Desrochers
Lindsey Desrochers rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Jackie Hall
Jackie Hall rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Anna Lise
Anna Lise rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Meenoo Rami
Meenoo Rami rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2011
Andrea Brown-thirston
Andrea Brown-thirston rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
Lyza Jo
Lyza Jo rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
sydney
sydney rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
Ariana
Ariana rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2013
Randi
Randi rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
lee
lee rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Kavon W. Nikrad
Kavon W. Nikrad rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2013
Nicholas Godsmark
Nicholas Godsmark rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Kristin
Kristin is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2012
Marsha
Marsha rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Alyssa Dunn
Alyssa Dunn rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012