Start by marking “Rethinking Popular Culture and Media” as Want to Read:
Rethinking Popular Culture and Media

Rethinking Popular Culture and Media

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Rethinking Popular Culture and Media is a provocative collection of articles drawn from Rethinking Schools magazine. It begins with the idea that the "popular" in classrooms and in the everyday lives of teachers and students is fundamentally political. This anthology includes outstanding articles by elementary and secondary public school teachers, scholars, and activists w ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Rethinking Schools (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Popular Culture and Media, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Popular Culture and Media

Ben Babcock
My Media, Education, and Gender prof contributed an article to this book. He assigned the article as one of our readings, but he did not make us buy the entire book, providing a photocopy instead. I foiled his evil plan to save us money by ordering the book anyway, because I liked his article and a few others he used so much that I decided to see if the entire book was as awesome.

It is.

I took the Media, Education, and Gender course for two reasons. Firstly, I needed to take an elective, and it s
Daniel Riles
There are few books that are this good. Any teacher, media specialist, or technologist should read this book. Like other publications it contains articles written by an array of folks including the editors of Rethinking Schools Magazine. Some articles I recognized from their original post in the magazine or inclusion in another compilation, but this group of writing holds together remarkably well. This book could serve as the springboard for work on diversity, media literacy, and pedagogy. Read ...more
Bakari
Jan 09, 2014 Bakari rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Teaching media and popular culture is one of the best ways to engage K-college students. This book includes one of my published articles about how to get students to explore the effects of media violence in culture. I don't conclude that media violence is the main cause of violence in our society, but rather it's about inviting students to explore how media violence is used to engage them as media consumers, and what stereotypes media violence perpetuates.
Caitlin Mitchell
Great read for any teacher looking to use pop culture/media to help students think critically about issues of social justice, tolerance, equality, etc. Would highly recommend this to any of my educator friends.
Jo
An important book, you can dip in and read chapters that interest you or dive in for the whole book.
Lisa
Lisa added it
Oct 10, 2014
Severino
Severino marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Huck
Huck marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jonathan Sterkenburg
Jonathan Sterkenburg marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Laura D
Laura D marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Alycia
Alycia added it
Jul 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Crisanto J. Jorda
Crisanto J. Jorda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Brenda Shannon
Brenda Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Yi Zhou
Yi Zhou marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Paul Galloway
Paul Galloway marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Stef Rozitis
Stef Rozitis is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Apr 12, 2014
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Pakitoinuriak
Pakitoinuriak marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Valerie Curtis
Valerie Curtis marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beyond Time (Highland Secret Series) Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1) I Danced in Africa Student's Guide/The Internet It All Came Crashing Down