Start by marking “The Wedding Dress” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Dress

The Wedding Dress

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  24,400 Ratings  ·  1,756 Reviews
Four brides. One Dress.

A tale of faith, redemption, and timeless love.

Charlotte owns a chic Birmingham bridal boutique. Dressing brides for their big day is her gift . . . and her passion. But with her own wedding day approaching, why can't she find the perfect dress...or feel certain she should marry Tim?

Then Charlotte discovers a vintage dress in a battered trunk at an e
Published April 2nd 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Dress, please sign up.

Hannah i would recommend Francine Rivers to you. She's a wonderful Christian author, and has some great books. My favourite is the Mark of the Lion…morei would recommend Francine Rivers to you. She's a wonderful Christian author, and has some great books. My favourite is the Mark of the Lion trilogy-it follows a young Jewess who is a household slave to a Roman family and has to trust in God for her strength. Great series, both Christian and romance! Also A Lineage of Grace is great, too.(less)

Sophie
Aug 12, 2013 Sophie rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
UGH.

I did not know that this was "religious fiction," going into it. By the time I figured it out (which wasn't too long - all the characters have the same language about God and Him and churchiness) I wanted to know what happened in the end so I skimmed it. For that I give it 2 stars.

I was so disappointed that it is as religious as it is. I mean, why ruin a decent story? It's one thing if religion is specific to a character. If that's who they are, fine. Details like that add to dimension and
Jenn O'Brien
Jun 21, 2012 Jenn O'Brien rated it liked it
As a whole, this was a good story, I liked the characters (especially in 1912) and I liked the concept of figuring out the history of the wedding dress; but somewhere along the line, I think this book suffers from a little bit from identity crisis. It cannot figure out if it wants to be a mystery, a contemporary romance, a historical romance, a Christian fiction, a supernatural fantasy, or commentary on social inequality. It felt like too many cooks adding an ingredient to the pot and you turn o ...more
Katie
Mar 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

I was blown away by this beautiful, awe-inspiring tale of one dress that spans—and impacts—the lives of four special women. The Wedding Dress revolves around Charlotte Malone and her discovery of the dress within an old, beaten trunk…and the path down memory lane that it took her on.

While Charlotte was the main character this story revolved around, there were a lot of other central characters as well. And while one might think that this would get confu
Deanne Patterson
Feb 22, 2017 Deanne Patterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-copy
Wow,this book was mystical,magical,sweet,sassy,spunky,redeeming and it felt like fairy dust was sprinkled within the pages. I absolutely loved it!
Abbi
Mar 15, 2012 Abbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, this book!!!!! This is officially one of my all time favorite books!
Full review here: http://writingchristiannovels.blogspo...
Casey
Jul 12, 2011 Casey rated it it was amazing
“The Wedding Dress” belongs in a league completely its own, with a tapestry of love stories that will, as the cover endorsement so perfectly stated “leave you breathless.”

I was easily impressed with this novel. Four women. Four generations. Four love stories. One dress. The story has a tinge of the ethereal, but what’s the point of fiction if you can’t enjoy the chance to make a story capture the light of the impossible?

With four stories to weave into one, I thought parts of the plot would fee
Kimberly
May 17, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Obsidian
Dec 26, 2015 Obsidian rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
My own fault for buying this book without double-checking the genre. I have to be in the mood to read Christian romance. Most of it doesn't float my boat at all. This one was distracting with the asides to prayers and seeking out God. It didn't feel organic to the story at all. Coupled with two boring characters with the same voice I was not in the mood to continue the book.

The characters I read were Charlotte (present day character) and Emily (living in 1912) taking place in Birmingham.

I think
Gwendolyn Gage
Dec 18, 2012 Gwendolyn Gage rated it it was amazing
Shelves: almost-favorites
This charming romance blends both Contemporary and Historical through unique characters spanning a hundred years. Meet Charlotte, a wedding boutique owner who takes pride and pleasure in helping brides find that special dress that will make them feel like a princess on their wedding day, but flounders when it comes to her own upcoming wedding. Meet Emily, a suffrage supporter trying to please her family and society, and losing her identity, freedom, and shot at happiness in the process.

The Weddi
Staci
Feb 10, 2017 Staci rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Beautiful story.

Main character Charlotte is living in today's world with all its modern conveniences and technology. Secondary character Emily lived during the early 1900s. Despite the large time span, both women went through a journey to find their true love. The wedding dress that bound Charlotte and Emily together was a representation of God's love. This was a lovely novel about love. A perfect Valentine Month read.

My gratitude to the author for an autographed copy of The Wedding Dress. I was
Roxanne
Dec 31, 2015 Roxanne rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
I blame myself for this one. I jumped into this because I saw it was on sale for the Nook, checked Goodreads and the rating was fairly high, and thought the plot looked interesting. If I had researched a bit more, I would have probably discovered that this was VERY religious in nature and wasn't at all the historical fiction that I thought it was going to be. This read like a Duggar wrote it and I don't mean that in a good way at all. I'm not against Christian novels when they are presented that ...more
Melody
Loved it!

There is so much I loved about this book. First, I really enjoyed the dual timeline. It was so well done and kept the suspense going for both stories. I also loved how the characters didn't talk the same way depending on the era. The dialogues felt appropriate for the time period. It's one of my favorite aspects about The Wedding Dress, because I really felt like I travelled back in time every time the story would jump back to 1912.

I also really appreciated that Charlotte was smart. I'v
Feb 23, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
An amazing love story

I know this book has not been release yet, but I had won a copy of it on facebook and the minute I got it I could not put it down. The book is not just about a wedding dress but about a love story and how four amazing lives were touched by a dress. The story also talks about the struggle of a each young women trying to make a choice that will impact there lives as well as the lives of others around them. God uses a time in each young women's life to show his love for them, t
Kathy
Sep 28, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
4.5 Highly Recommend

Content: Clean, Christian fiction but not overly preachy
Courtney
This novel was absolutely amazing. The way that two different timelines wound together to create one story was beautiful and very easy to follow. Normally this particular type of novel doesn't appeal to me, but I must make an exception this time. You will not be sorry for reading this book, it is absolutely worth your time.
Glenajo
Apr 29, 2012 Glenajo rated it it was amazing
Brought Me to Tears

Charlotte owns a wedding dress boutique, and has a true gift for finding the perfect dress for every bride that comes her way, that is except herself. Somehow, she just cannot move forward with her wedding plans, so she visits a local historical estate for peace and quiet, but instead discovers they are having an antique sale to raise money for the foundation. She finds herself bidding on a trunk, then discovers that it holds a beautiful wedding gown, thus she begins a journey
Beth Vogt
Jan 05, 2012 Beth Vogt rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Rachel Hauck's novel The Wedding Dress from the opening line and finished reading the last page with tears in my eyes. I'd anticipated reading this book for many months, and Hauck didn't disappoint me. She seamlessly wove together the stories of 4 women who are brought together by one wedding dress. Throughout the novel, Hauck highlights the importance of love, faith, choices, freedom and family. Hauck skillfully handles multiple POVs--and just when I'd decide which character ...more
Jodi
Mar 08, 2016 Jodi rated it liked it
"Her lips covered his, light and trembling at first, then with growing confidence and passion as he drew her into himself and poured his love into her."

I wasn't sure what to expect with this novel. The cover drew me in, the synopsis sounded enjoyable. At times it did get a little confusing keeping track of all of the characters from different eras, but all in all I enjoyed it.

****This is where I wish there were 1/2 stars. I would go with a 3.5****
Cecelia
Jun 18, 2016 Cecelia rated it really liked it
What does an old wedding dress, a man dressed in purple and two engaged women have in common? Those elements have a lot in common in this book! Engaged, Charlotte has yet to find the perfect wedding dress for her upcoming nuptials. She and her fiancé, Tim, have not even mailed out their wedding invites. When Charlotte purchases an old wedding dress at auction, her whole world changes as she goes on a quest to find out the former owners.
Emily’s story (one of the former wedding dress owners) is se
Carissa

Chapters: 27
Pages: 343
Genre: Christian fiction, Christian chick lit
Rating: 5 stars
Charlotte owns a bridal boutique she loves helping brides but can’t bring herself to plan her own wedding. Charlotte and Tim had a whirl wind relationship that ended in an engagement after only a few months. Charlotte ends up buying an old trunk at an estate sell that has a
Kalena
Sep 14, 2012 Kalena rated it liked it
3.5*** This is the third book I have read by Rachel Hauck. I really wanted to like this book more! My favorite characters were Taffy Hayes, Mary Grace, Dixie, and Tim--the secondary characters' storylines were the most interesting to me. The supernatural elements were a bit much in my opinion and I openly admit that I am not much into wedding dresses either. Narrator was very good. Honestly, I read this one because I enjoyed Once Upon a Prince. I am finding that I enjoy every other book by this ...more
Melanie
Feb 25, 2012 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-copy
The Wedding Dress was a very good read with a unique story. There were a couple things I found weird (i.e. how the wedding dress stayed in perfect condition and didn't need to ever get altered -- even though four brides wore it, Mr. Oddfellow and how he appeared and disappeared so quickly, etc.) but in spite of the things that I didn't love, the story was really good.

I liked how the book told both Charlotte and Tim's story (present day) and Emily and Daniel's (1912). I found both stories interes
Caitlyn Santi
Aug 20, 2013 Caitlyn Santi rated it it was amazing

This was my first read by this author, and I can tell you now it will not be my last! I really can't find the words to describe just how good this book is! It's amazing, the story completely mesmerized me from the first page and I hated to put the book down! I absolutely loved the characters, and that the dress was a parallel for the Gospel!!!

I loved the air of mystery to the story! And the ending was fabulous! I also loved how this book is a great combo of contemporary and historical! I really
Kati
Mar 24, 2012 Kati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
I loved this book! I loved how it told the story of a 100 year old wedding dress, but also how it told the story of two women who live(d) in very different times and in the end to find out they were connected was like icing on the cake! I will definitely be reading more of Ms. Hauck's work in the future!
Lan
May 11, 2016 Lan rated it it was ok
Some caveats before I get into the meat of this review:
1) I am a Christian and I knew this was Christian Fiction going in.
2) I usually hate this kind of Christian Romance fiction.
3) I received this as a gift and was repeatedly asked about it and therefore obligated to read it.
4) I probably would have given this book a 2.5 if there was an option for that. It just depends what you're into.

I'll start with the negative: this book was about what I expected. To me, Christian fiction seems to be one of
Barbara
Jan 02, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a good story. This one captured my interest because it spanned 100 years and connected a series of women whose lives were linked together by a wedding dress. I enjoy a good historical romance and this story did a nice blend of both. The author’s characters displayed some flaws in their character and choices. That made it very believable. The historical elements made it more interesting. There were instances when one character said “Can you believe it?” Yes, I could believe it- there were ...more
Lori McD
4.5+ stars
Rating: G – not more than PG

This sleeper book took me completely unaware. It’s quiet message resonates deeply, but soothingly. You might cry like a baby more than once while reading it, but the book builds steadily without unnecessary bumps or crashes.

The book interweaves the story of 1 wedding dress and how it was worn by 4 different brides in 4 different eras ranging from pre-WW I to contemporary times. We focus mainly on the first owner and the current owner, but the other stories r
Gail Klein
Mar 27, 2016 Gail Klein rated it it was ok
I was deeply disappointed when I realized that this book was a Christian faith based story. I certainly would not have chosen it if I had known. That said, the story was interesting, if not a little predictable. I think the story of the special wedding dress passed down over 100 years was clever and I think could have been told without the strong religious overtones.
Cynthia Hickey
Apr 21, 2012 Cynthia Hickey rated it it was amazing
Rachel Hauk did a masterful job of weaving in the dress's beginning and the tales of the four women who became "owners" of the dress. From our modern day woman to the bride of 1912, the secret of the dress and a strange man wearing a purple vest will keep the reader turning the page. Well done!
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
The Wedding Dress is contemporary Christian Fiction at it's best. It's special, magical, and godly. It's full of strong amazing women and some pretty great guys too. It has a little bit of history, mystery, and a lot of heart.
Indian Bridal Outfits 1 1 Mar 15, 2017 12:43AM
Currently Reading Shelve 1 2 Jan 27, 2017 12:20AM
How to Color Coordinate Bride and Groom Wedding Outfits 1 2 Sep 09, 2016 08:15AM
Do You Still Have Your Wedding Dress? 2 7 Jul 10, 2016 05:22PM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: The Wedding Dress: Religious Fiction 7 6 Apr 23, 2016 05:41PM
  • By the Light of the Silvery Moon
  • Love Lifted Me (Songbird, #3)
  • Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)
  • Maid to Match
  • My Stubborn Heart
  • Always the Baker, Never the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #1)
  • Baroness (Daughters of Fortune, #2)
  • Blue Moon Promise (Under Texas Stars, #1)
  • Into the Free (Into the Free #1)
  • Winter in Full Bloom
  • The Maid of Fairbourne Hall
  • A Lasting Impression (Belmont Mansion, #1)
  • A January Bride (A Year of Weddings, #2)
  • Rebellious Heart
  • The Accidental Bride (A Big Sky Romance #2)
  • Made to Last (Where Love Begins, #1)
  • Grave Consequences (Grand Tour, #2)
New York Times, USA Today & Wall Street Journal Bestselling author Rachel Hauck writes from sunny central Florida.

A RITA finalist and winner of Romantic Times Inspirational Novel of the Year, she writes vivid characters dealing with real life issues.

She loves to hear from readers. She also loves to encourage new writers and sits on the Executive Board of American Christian Fiction Writers..

A
More about Rachel Hauck...

“That’s called faith. Trusting God.” His voice waffled. “We must be ready to hear from Him and respond, at any moment, no matter what the consequence.” 4 likes
“Remember why you fell in love in the first place.” 3 likes