Start by marking “Color in Spinning” as Want to Read:
Color in Spinning

Color in Spinning

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Written expressly for the hand spinner seeking new adventures in color, this manual presents in-depth discussions and step-by-step photographed demonstrations of immersion dyeing, painting rovings, blending colors and fibers, and spinning and plying multicolored preparations. A chapter on understanding color principles offers novice spinners the skills needed to easily wor ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Interweave Press (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Color in Spinning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Color in Spinning

Celia
Sep 14, 2007 Celia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Spinner, Knitter
Written by my mother!
Lucy
Most of this was way, way over my head since I'm brand-new to spinning and have only just started to dye unspun fiber, never mind comb and card it myself. The color theory section was excellent for someone with no artistic background, however; right now I'm on the fence about needing to purchase the e-book for myself (this was a library loan) just yet.
Stephanie
For anyone wanting to learn about dyeing, not only does it cover the basics of dyeing and carding/combing well, but it also provides lessons in color (beyond the basic color wheel) where you directly see the results of mixing and using different color combinations. There are samples of finished knitted pieces using similarly-colored yarn yet with slightly different properties. Readers are encouraged to use the exercises for future self-directed study. Great cataloguing ideas are offered.

I highly
Kaylan
Great resource for people interested in the fiber arts. Lots and lots of information about how color shows up in your spinning, as well as color theory, dying techniques and blending. Love it!
Terri
Loved this book! Excellent for learning about how color behaves when used in spinning. I also took a class from the author which was very revelatory.
Lab Cat
I am going to work through the exercises at the end of each chapter this summer. It should be fun.
Sasha
This isn't written to be a fun book, but it's incredibly thorough.
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Laurie Davis
Laurie Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Kristy Bryson
Kristy Bryson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jen Bee
Jen Bee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • Respect the Spindle
  • Spinning in the Old Way
  • In Sheep's Clothing
  • The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning: Being A Compendium of Information, Advice, and Opinions On the Noble Art & Craft
  • Start Spinning
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • Intertwined: The Art of Handspun Yarn, Modern Patterns and Creative Spinning
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Spin Control
  • Knitting on the Road
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
  • Knitting Around